Afraid I Might Be Pregnant... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-08-2009, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I have the sinking suspicion I might be pregnant, and I'm not altogether sure of what to think about it.

On the one hand, I am a 21 year old college junior at a very good art and design university half-way across the country from my family and fiancee. I just got an apartment with my best friend there and can't wait to move in at the new year. I have a lot of good things going with me at school--an awesome scholarship, straight A's. A baby definitely throws a wrench in the works and I have no idea how I could have/raise a newborn that far away while balancing classes.

On the other hand, I am in a wonderful, long-term relationship (going on 5 years) with a fiancee who I adore more than life. I love children, and natural childbirth is a passion of mine. I hope to someday be certified as a birth doula (to supplement the meager income of an artist). I feel emotionally "ready" to have a baby and know that I could give it a good life and my fiancee would be a great dad.

I'm on BCP and we practice the withdrawal method, but I'm not sure if one or both of those could have failed. My breasts are way more tender than usual and (okay, TMI) I have an unusual smell to my urine, which I read some women experience.

Agh, sorry this was so long. I guess I just need some reassurance right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2009, 03:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Probably your best bet would be to take a deep breath and get a home preg test. If you cycles are normally regular and you are fairly close to your period you would likely get an accurate result.

I hope it turns out for the best.

Sandra SAHM to Kayleigh and welcoming Emily January 2010
Old 12-08-2009, 04:15 PM

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
It sounds like you'd be a great mom. If it turns out that you are pregnant, you might think about getting trained as a doula sooner rather than later. You could always pursue art on the side or when your child is a little older. And if you are, you have lots of time to make decisions. Most miscarriages happen in the first trimester, so it might be wise not to change your plans until you're sure this bean is going to stick.

Good luck! I hope it all works out for the best.

Living happily and embracing adventures.
Old 12-08-2009, 10:24 PM

While no birth control is 100%, if you have taken the pill faithfully and practiced withdrawl, it's not very likely you are pregnant. However an unusual smell to your urine could indeed be a UTI. That's the only symptom I had, with one of mine, no burning, no pain, just a strong smell.

If you think you may be pregnant, then get a test, and while you are at it, you might want to pick up one of the over the counter tests for checking for UTIs.

Good Luck to you!!
Old 12-09-2009, 03:50 AM

Hope you find the answer you are looking for. Who knows, it might just be the "right" time, even though it would be complicated.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 12-09-2009, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Thanks for replying, everyone. AF due today but no show so far. We'll have to wait and see, I guess.

User Tag List