help me narrow down my doula options! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-15-2009, 04:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
so i am just starting to interview/meet doulas. i have a list of recommendations from friends and from doulas who are full but recommended other doulas. anyhow--i am up to a list of 8 now, which seems like waaaay too many to consider. should i cross some off list based upon distance from my home and hospital? or should i call ALL of them? any thoughts or advice? thanks! p.s.--i have 2 appts. set up already to meet some.

married to DH for 5 yrs, ds born at home 6/26/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2009, 11:59 PM

For me, I talked to one on the phone and just didn't feel right about it. Met the next one in person and loved her--for me it was just about feeling like it was right. Maybe you can talk them on the phone first, get a feel for them, see if they will be in town, etc...when you are due and go from there. Good luck!

Single HB mama to 2!
Old 12-16-2009, 12:14 AM

I'd probably start by talking to the ones closest to me and see if any of them click with me. I only had 4 or 5 to consider. I met the first two and liked them but wasn't sure which I would choose. I talked to the third one on the phone and just KNEW that she was who I wanted. We just clicked, and she also had the most experience. I feel completely comfortable with her now that we've actually met. I ended up just not meeting with the others because I didn't want to waste their time.

Sabrina loving wife to Nate , frazzled mom to Gabriella (1-23-07) and Robert (2-9-10) My bed and heart are overflowing!
Old 12-16-2009, 12:45 AM

You are very fortunate to have so many doulas to choose from!

The first filter for me was how many clients would they have on their calendar during the two weeks before and after my due date. If a doula takes on so many clients that there was a significant probability she would have passed me onto the backup doula, I would cross her off my list.

I weighed each doula based on:
  • how much experience she had,
  • how much she was informed on the birthing methods I would be using (ie, hypnobabies, spinning babies, rebozo, vbac, etc),
  • extra services offered (offered to come to my home at no additional cost, offered to come to my home at an extra cost and check my progress during early stages if a midwife, number of meetings before birthing, etc),
  • extra costs on top of fee (do I have to pay for gas, food, etc),
  • how much did I click with this doula?
  • would this doula be able to deal with my personality type?
</ul>

Good luck!

User Tag List