What can I take for dry scratchy throat - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 12-17-2009, 01:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a cold and I keep getting these horrible itches in my throat which send me into coughing fits which then give me an asthma attack. I don't want to overdose on my inhalers so what can I do to get rid of the scratchy throat?

I'm 5 wks.
#2 of 7 Old 12-17-2009, 03:01 PM

I have bad allergies and I used raw honey for my scratchy, dry throat all through allergy season (Fall for me) this year. It helps a lot! Sometimes I drink it in tea and sometimes I just take it by the teaspoon full if my throat is really bad.

Beth )O( Homeschooling Mama to blahblah.gif DS (7) luxlove.gif DD (5) and sleepytime.gif DS (1) & #4 on the way in October!!! love.gif
 homebirth.jpgecbaby2.giffemalesling.GIFbf.jpgsewmachine.gifrainbow1284.gifnovaxnoIRC.gifphotosmile2.gif

#3 of 7 Old 12-17-2009, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, it's helping keep the itch at bay.
#4 of 7 Old 12-18-2009, 02:17 PM

A little honey can also really help, either alone or in some tea.

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#5 of 7 Old 12-18-2009, 04:01 PM

I do honey on a spoon and lots of water. The water keeps my throat moist so the itch stays away. You could also use hard candy (like jolly ranchers) for this purpose, but I only do that if I'm somewhere that I can't have a bottle of water with me.

Mama of three.

#6 of 7 Old 12-18-2009, 06:01 PM

I have felt that gargling warm water (some add salt, too) can help my dry throat, at least for a little while. hard candy can work, but for something a little healthier, a vit C drop is good too, and can give a bit of immune boost too.

I totally understand not wanting to use your inhaler. i hate mine, and i only have very occasional asthma. But if you aren't getting enough air, neither is your baby. talk with your practitioner about this, but if you truly need it, use it!

Mama to Butterfly, B(ee), Bug, and Laniecakes

#7 of 7 Old 12-18-2009, 06:44 PM

Gargling warm salt water helps. Drinking lots of tea and water helps. I also keep some Ricola throat losenges on hand for when I'm trying to fall asleep and don't want to wake the toddler next to me with a coughing fit.

I think I have the same thing you do, sadly. It's been a whole week and it's still pretty nasty. Here's to relief!

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page