SPD - any relief? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 12-21-2009, 05:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So, I've got it this time around after not having it with my first two (I am 26 weeks, btw). Is there anything I can do to help it? Any tips, suggestions, commiseration? Sometimes my pubic region feels like it's going to split open! Ugghh!

Single Mama to five 6 and under!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 12-21-2009, 06:13 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Chiropractic care and physical therapy exercises can help a lot.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#3 of 20 Old 12-21-2009, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Not currently pregnant, but with my last one I was finally able to get into the chiro about 4 days before she was born and while it didn't complete go away, it was considerably better.
#4 of 20 Old 12-22-2009, 12:34 AM

I had SPD with my 1st pregnancy and also with this one. It's awful, isn't it? I can't even roll over in the bed without extreme pain in my crotch! I just try to keep my legs together as much as possible, which is guess is good for acting ladylike. Mine seems to come and go for weeks at a time, so I'm crossing my fingers for you!
#5 of 20 Old 12-22-2009, 01:00 AM

Chiro, massage therapy, there are some yoga poses/stretches that help. But nothing has eased the pain completely for me. I use heat and ice switching off all night and it is bearable by morning but come the end of the day, I can barely walk.

Me : DD 5/05: DS1 7/06 : DS2 11/07: DS3 3/10
#6 of 20 Old 12-22-2009, 01:22 AM

I had it last time starting at 13weeks and was very happy with Chrio treatment. It took several visits, but it made a big difference.

This time, it held off until about 21 weeks or so and I just went to the Chrio last week and know it'll take a couple more visits to get more relief.

Karen happily partnered mother of 3 beautiful girls (teen/toddler/newborn).
#7 of 20 Old 12-22-2009, 01:26 AM

YES! I have had it since 12 weeks and im 22 weeks now. Finally last week I decided that it couldnt go on, walking hurt, rolling over in bed hurt, going upstairs hurt. So I made an appointment with the chiropractor not really expecting much. After 1 visit the pain was 60% improved and I went to for visit number 2 and the pain is GONE!! I dont expect it to remain gone but Im very happy as of right now

He said my pelvis was quite seriously misaligned and 'hammered' it back into place as well as having me do some muscular push thingies (where I had to bend my knees and push 'in' and he counter pressuered 'out') he also addressed my sciatica (which is apparently linked!)

couldnt recommend seeing a chiro. enough-MAGIC

Mummy to Samuel 02/08 and new baby Molly- 04/10
#8 of 20 Old 12-22-2009, 01:29 AM

Chiro care and REST rest rest. Seriously try to avoid any really strenuous lifting because believe me, you'll pay for it later. I have felt permanently punched in the crotch for weeks now and carrying heavy shopping bags is proving really challenging. Like my hips are butterfly wings.

But, rest and warm baths and my Chiro all seem to go a ways toward relieving the worst of it.

*HUGE hugs* - it'll be over eventually! Xxx

Mama to Josie , lost 10/10/08 at 37.4 weeks .
and my rainbow baby, Isobella Mai ...born 1/12/2010 ! in profile...
#9 of 20 Old 12-22-2009, 01:36 AM

I was prescribed a maternity belt (JUST like the ones they have at BRU) toward the end of my pregnancy. I had serious doubts about whether it would work or not, but I was to the point of taking my prescription pain meds (prescribed for nighttime use for my carpal tunnel) on a regular basis to fight the pain. I was surprised to find that it really did help. It alleviated a lot of the pressure and pain somehow. I was at least able to walk across the room without intense agony. Of course, I didn't wear it to bed... so at night I just had to deal. *sigh* PSD was pretty miserable to deal with.

I hope you find some relief soon.

I'm me. In love with this guy. We're bringing up two girls: Big A (8) and Little A (3)

#10 of 20 Old 12-22-2009, 01:44 AM

Nothing works for me...

Chiro every two weeks and massage therapy every 4 weeks helps keep a lot of things better and helps with the SIJ but nothing helps the SPD...

I had the same with #3 and the only thing that helped was to give birth...

~paxye~
Mama to Xavier (July 02) , Colin (Sept 04), Khéna(Nov 06) & Wilhelmina (Jan 10)
#11 of 20 Old 12-22-2009, 10:25 AM

The main cure: birth.

Chiropractic care can help and lots of ice packs. Lots and lots of them. Rest. And then more rest.

I feel for you - I have had it with the past two pregnancies starting at about week 16. I am 18 weeks with this one and have just felt little twinges. I have been horribly sick for the past couple months and so I have not been nearly as active (not teaching aerobics or fitness classes) this time around and so I am not doing as much to aggravate it (i.e. any lunging or a lot of walking/movement).

Dissertating wife of Mr. Amazing Man, mother to Boo Bear ( ) Captain Knuckle (13), and The Professor (5). Expecting Penelope Rose 5/10/2010 via planned c/s.
#12 of 20 Old 12-22-2009, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the responses ladies! I would love to get to a chiro, but am low on funds right now.. I am resting more. My pain was almost gone for a few days, but is back in full force and worst at night. Rolling over, getting out of bed.. Can you say ouch! It doesn't help that I have two little ones who need picking up.

What yoga poses/stretches help? My midwife recommended a maternity belt and calcium. I'm not wearing the belt as much as I should because it is annoying. I've also read that lots of kegels might help.

#13 of 20 Old 12-22-2009, 01:14 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#14 of 20 Old 12-24-2009, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

That is so awful! I'm sorry you have it so bad!

As for me, it hasn't been too bad the past couple days.

#15 of 20 Old 12-24-2009, 04:21 PM

I had it last pregnancy, and it started at 12 weeks this pregnancy. I go to the chiropractor once a week (I am extremely lucky that my insurance covers this ) and I have stopped doing any exercise. This totally sucks and I will probably be a big blob by the time I give birth, but this has been the most effective thing of all. I don't carry my 2 yo up the stairs, and I don't go for even short walks (other than the grocery store, to the neighbors house ect. )
I would look into yoga, although there are some poses that can make it worse.

Good luck, I feel for you! :/

Kelcey... in love with DH, and DD born 10/13/07, and a little DS born 2/23/10!
#16 of 20 Old 12-24-2009, 04:26 PM

This may sound weird, but have you varied the way you roll over? This pregnancy and last, I found that after a while, I couldn't roll over in my normal way, rolling so that I was facing up before rolling to the other side. I now roll "under" and it helps--not nearly as much pain during the rollover!

Stacey teaching teens to read & write... Daddy plays ska, DD1 (7/05) loves trees & princesses, & DD2 (3/10) loves mommy-milk! Please get your kids tested for lead.
#17 of 20 Old 12-24-2009, 04:41 PM

There's a short excerise my chiro taught me that's supposed to "reset" the pelvis - it has definetly helped me, though not as much as actual chiro care.

Sit down with your legs about 4 inces apart. Brace your arms against the outside of your thighs. Push out with your legs, hard, for a 30 second count while using your arms to keep your legs from actually separating.

Now put your arms inside your legs and push in with your thighs for a count of 30, again using your arms to keep your legs from actually closing.

I do this twice a day and it seems to really help - though perhaps it helps more to maintain than to fix, you know?

Good luck. This is also my thrid pregnancy, first SPD experience. It was so bad for a while every step felt stabby, I feel for you!
#18 of 20 Old 03-18-2010, 06:28 PM

Bumping this thread up because I found a really great website!

http://www.pelvicpartnership.org.uk/

lots and lots of info and support there

WOH Mom (for now)to DS (aka:Kiddo) and Little Bean (10/12/2010), Married to DH for ~7 years,
#19 of 20 Old 03-18-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josie423 View Post
So, I've got it this time around after not having it with my first two (I am 26 weeks, btw). Is there anything I can do to help it? Any tips, suggestions, commiseration? Sometimes my pubic region feels like it's going to split open! Ugghh!
I think I wrote the same thing at 26 wks. This is my 3rd, had nothing with my first two, and at 26 wks WHAM. I went through 2 chiros before the one I have now. I was unable to even walk for more than a few minutes last week, and this week (after 2 visits) I have had nearly a 80-90% reduction in pain. He is much more invasive than the other two...not afraid to put thing back where they need to go, but really made more difference than I can say. Not sure if this is typical. Also, I got a support belt that I wear part of each day. Those two together helped me SO much.
#20 of 20 Old 03-19-2010, 03:58 AM

Similar to the exercise described earlier, you can put something (a ball or pillow) between your knees and squeeze it tight. When my pubic bone is misaligned, I'll often feel a big "pop" as it moves back into place. My chiro adjusts directly with an activator, and that helps a lot, as well as overall pelvic adjustments. I deal with residual issues all the time now, even when not pg.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page