Mothering Forum banner

Help from those of you that know a thing or two about sex determination on u/s

613 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  DeChRi 
#1 ·
I just had my anatomy scan at 17w4d. Baby is wonderfully healthy and everything was perfect. The gentleman that did the scan noted that he was not as good as his wife (another u/s tech) at determining gender, but he would give it a go. He said that at 17w4d it still may not be blindingly obvious. Baby was breech so we didnt get a great shot. He "thought" he saw a scrotum once. Then he saw what he kept saying was a "little triangle" that he believed was the penis. At the end he said "if he had to make a call, it would be boy". But he didn't sound sure. The next day we had both sides of our entire families coming and were planning the big baby announce/sex annouce in an event my 10yo planned. Well we just didnt feel good about his call. In a fit of pregnancy insanity I called the independent u/s place here that does those 3D sonos. I asked if they could scrap the 3D and just do a 5 min sex determination check. They said sure, got us in the next morning, halved the fee and took a look. The lady there said the opposite...but 17w4d it should be really obvious...she didnt ever see the girl parts (we had 3 distinct lines with DD1 and DD2) but the "lack of boy parts" ended up with her calling girl. She seemed pretty confident with her assesment.

I wish we had just waited to birth, as DH and I were both totally fine with another girl. Once we got a boy read the first time, we both were more excited than we thought. The second girl read left us a little deflated.

We wont have anymore sonos and will be just tickled with our new baby. But now the whole thing is playing with our heads.

Anyone had a sono just shy of 18 weeks and had it be a boy but didnt get a blindingly obvious shot? What are the rules on when you should be able to see everything with ease?

See less See more
#2 ·
I have never heard of it being "obvious" at less than 18 wks. The opposite, in fact. That it was much more difficult to tell for sure before 18 wks.

I would just never trust a judgement call on gender before 19 wks.

#3 ·
Do you have a gender picture of the baby that you can post here? Also, you can check out in-gender.com, click on forum (I think it's called), and scroll down to the ultrasound section. They have lots of info there.

As far as which u/s tech to trust... Since the first one said he isn't very good at gender determination and the second one actually is a professional u/s gender predictor, then I might believe the second one more. But who knows. Sometimes, 17 weeks can be a bit early. But there are more false positives when they call "girl" than when they call "boy." This is because baby boys sometimes get erections in utero which can hide their boy bits and are thus falsely thought to be girls.

#4 ·
mamaonthefarm - we didnt stick around the place for the pics they took (there were only a couple since we didnt sit and do a full sono...just a few min to try and determine gender). We are about to get hit by a snow storm. They are mailing them out and I will post then. I spent some time on in-gender last night. Wow, a whole world of info out there I didnt know about. Really neat to look around there.

Thanks for the thoughts.

#5 ·
at my 20wk genetic US both the tech & the Dr couldnt give us a positive on the gender.

They bothe said it might be a girl, but neither of them could get a clear view so they couldnt tell us definitely. The tech said that the baby wouldnt open its legs enough. DH said if its a girl thats a good thing

We did have a 24wk fetal echo US & it is definitely a girl.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.