Any other "fluffy" mama's?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-26-2009, 11:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any "fluffy" (aka, overweight...) mama's expecting? I'm a fluffy mama myself and I'm just interested in knowing if any other fluffy mama's are doing anything special as far as diet, exercise, ect... to stay as healthy as possible? Does your midwife/OB mention or have any issues with your weight pre-pregnancy? Any concerns you have?? Share your stats if you are comfy!! Share a pic!! We should have a fluffy mama tribe

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Ava {12.20.08}  Levi {8.19.10}  Aspen  {EDD 7.21.13}

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 12:15 AM

my hcp's haven't said anything about it. In fact, my midwife was concerned because I wasn't eating due to nausea. I'm not doing any exercising at all right now, because I feel so wretched, but I plan on getting of my butt and going for walks and doing yoga soon. I just try to eat healthy, but I don't limit anything. I probably should, though.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
Old 12-27-2009, 12:32 AM - Thread Starter

I'm Amber - a fluffy mama! With my DD I started out at 225, and ended at 260. I lost down to 203 during my 1st and 2nd trimesters and shot up very quickly in the 3rd due to massive swelling from pre-e. I started this pregnancy at 245 (gained from 220 during my PP period due to extreme PPD which caused me to pack on the lbs). I haven't gained or lost yet and am 6 weeks.

Here's my 5wk starter belly for reference! 1st pic is with my daughter, 2nd pic is this pregnancy. I feel that I carry my weight well.

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/y.../amber1461.jpg

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/y...alskndgihw.jpg

And at 37wks with my daughter!

http://i772.photobucket.com/albums/y.../amber1422.jpg

I haven't seen my midwife yet (new one, we are moving in February) and I'm anxious to know what she'll say about my weight. I'm limiting carbs and almost no sugar, and trying to get tons of protein and fruits/veggies. Exercise is a bust right now though.....

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Old 12-27-2009, 12:53 AM

My CNMs haven't said anything to me about weight or diet... I've been gaining about a pound a week so far, and started out at 218 (I'm 5'5.) I eat well but don't restrict myself from anything and go to prenatal yoga classes twice a week. FWIW, my blood pressure is still slightly on the low side, and the fasting glucose b/w they did on me last month was perfect.

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
Old 12-27-2009, 01:07 AM

I'm in the "overweight" camp too and my midwife has been great. My glucose test results came back great and my b/p is perfect. I love it when I'm asked by other hcps or even the u/s tech if I have hbp or gd and I get to tell them nope! Just because I'm overweight doesn't mean I have hbp or gd and doesn't mean I stuff my face with cupcakes all day either!
The only thing I got that I wouldn't if I wasn't overweight was two u/s at 34 and 36 weeks to check size and presentation/

Old 12-27-2009, 02:09 AM

I am here. I am about 230 right now. I hope to drop a lot after the baby.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:31 AM

Soooo Technically I am morbidly obese... not just fluffy.
I actually talked to my Dr. about dealing with my eating habits, and he brushed me off and told me "we will deal with that after this baby."

Not that while I was gaining weight (PPD I am pretty sure) he said anything.

I am 5'8" and 300lbs. WHEW.... I kind of feel like I just introduced myself at an AA meeting.

I don't have any health problems, no GD, and my blood pressure has always been low-normal.

I have managed to keep my weight gain pretty low from just eating better food and less sugar. Not so much with exercising - chasing my 20 month old and being wicked tired.

I heart you for starting this thread.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:38 AM - Thread Starter

You are so welcome!! Sometimes fluffy mama's get looked down on during pregnancy - I even had a "friend" tell me I was endangering my unborn child's life by being "obese" and asked me how could I do such a thing, told me I was stupid and careless, ect... Broke my heart I didn't have any sugar issues with my DD, and no BP issues during my entire pregnancy. HOWEVER. At 38 weeks I developed pre-e VERY quickly - within a matter of hours, was induced, and ultimately delivered VIA emergency c/s. VERY traumatic and my family blamed my weight My OB told me over and over than TONS of skinny mama's deal with pre-e and it isn't just weight related, but my family insisted it was. I've dealt with tons of criticism from my family about having another baby and still being overweight. I know in my heart though, that I can be a good, healthy, FLUFFY mama and that's all that matters.

And yes, stating your weight certainly feels like AA

Hi, my name is Amber. I am 245lbs and 6 weeks pregnant. I am a fluffy mama.

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Old 12-27-2009, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinderella08 View Post
Sometimes fluffy mama's get looked down on during pregnancy - I even had a "friend" tell me I was endangering my unborn child's life by being "obese" and asked me how could I do such a thing, told me I was stupid and careless, ect... Broke my heart
Wow that is horrible! I hope you're not friends anymore!!!

I belong here too, but to be honest I've been more worried about where I will find plus-size nursing bras and maternity clothes.

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010
Old 12-27-2009, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jade* View Post

I belong here too, but to be honest I've been more worried about where I will find plus-size nursing bras and maternity clothes.

Motherhood Maternity actually has some nice plus sized maternity everything online. But it has to be online. In stores sucks.
Old 12-27-2009, 04:52 AM

Quote:

I know in my heart though, that I can be a good, healthy, FLUFFY mama and that's all that matters.
I think we should all remember that.

Wow it sounds like your family is opinionated. I hope too that your friend isn't around anymore. There are so many things with parenting that are hard that getting extra criticism isn't necessary.

Oh, and my EDD is Feb 8th.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:08 AM

I guess it is a bit good that my extended family tends to run on the larger side. So they don't say much to me about my weight. But since I got my BFP this time I have had b/p issues. I am thinking it is related to my weight and my age. So I am determined to do something about it once I have had the baby.

My AA intro:

"Hi, my name is Jenny. I am 5ft 4in and weigh 230 lbs (give or take)."

At least I know I can drop a good fast 10-20 in the next week or so if I have this WO that is determined to not come out! Now, if I can only get down below 200, I will feel good. And if I could actually reach 175, I will be estatic.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Old 12-27-2009, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Jade* View Post

baby consignment stores! I found pants and shirts AND a nursing dress that will fit me until at least 6 months, and then of course afterwards. Bras, however, I'm desperate for, but I have an issue paying $$$ for bras I can't try on (online).

Old 12-27-2009, 05:25 AM

oh, and my AA intro: My name is Kate, I'm 5'8", and I'm about to pass the 200 lb mark.

Old 12-27-2009, 05:27 AM

I'm Laurie - I'm 5'2 and around 235 the last time I visited the doctor - I'm sure they'll weigh me Tuesday at my first OB/GYN appt. I'm 8 weeks, 1 day pregnant. Most of my family members struggle with their weight (my sister had WLS this past year) so they are super supportive about my pregnancy and in fact encouraged me to start trying instead of trying another year to lose weight before I started a family. "What if you never lose the weight? Can you face never having kids?" Well the answer to that was a big NO!

I am eating healthier than I ever have, lots of small, healthy meals. I want to do more exercising and hope to when I have a little better weather and more energy! I've luckily had no morning sickness so far

I've found JCPenneys.com has some cute plus size maternity wear!

Laurie & Dave having baby #1! Our SON is due 8/4/2010
****5****10****15****20****25****30****35* **40
Old 12-27-2009, 06:05 AM

I'm not in the States, so most of those stores don't exist here sadly. But luckily I have a mum and MIL who both sew, so I'm counting on them to help!

Mum to Quinn, Aug 14th 2010
Old 12-27-2009, 12:49 PM

Quote:

You are so welcome!! Sometimes fluffy mama's get looked down on during pregnancy - I even had a "friend" tell me I was endangering my unborn child's life by being "obese" and asked me how could I do such a thing, told me I was stupid and careless, ect... Broke my heart I didn't have any sugar issues with my DD, and no BP issues during my entire pregnancy. HOWEVER. At 38 weeks I developed pre-e VERY quickly - within a matter of hours, was induced, and ultimately delivered VIA emergency c/s. VERY traumatic and my family blamed my weight My OB told me over and over than TONS of skinny mama's deal with pre-e and it isn't just weight related, but my family insisted it was. I've dealt with tons of criticism from my family about having another baby and still being overweight. I know in my heart though, that I can be a good, healthy, FLUFFY mama and that's all that matters.
I hate how everything automatically gets blamed on us being overweight!!! DH and I went through fertility treatments to get pg with this kiddo- which was coincidentally how I packed on the weight... between the meds and some serious depression while going through it all the weight came on super fast. People automatically assumed that we were having TTC troubles because of my weight... even though it was my marathon running sports-nut "average weight" DH who has severe sperm issues. People are just rediculous when it comes to weight issues

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
Old 12-27-2009, 03:09 PM

Hello everyone!

I guess I could call myself squishy/fluffy.... I'm 5'6" and weigh 183 pds. I'm in the high end of "overweight" for my BMI. Almost into the obese category.

I gained nearly 55pds with my first and topped out at 220 at 41+ weeks. I managed to drop down to 180 before getting pregnant with DS2 and only gained 20pds with him. I really watched my sugar intake. I started out at 183 with this pregnancy and haven't gained anything yet at 15 weeks. I'm doing the same thing as last time but man it's been SO HARD with the holidays!

I'm really hoping I can keep my gaining under control and stay under the 200pd mark. I am really looking forward to running again next summer after this baby is born I started a program called "Couch to 5k" and I lost quite a bit of weight and gained a lot of stamina. I really loved it.

It's nice to have a thread for fluffy preggo pics! I always feel self conscious about posting my pics...

Crunchy Mama to 3 boys bikenew.gif'06  and superhero.gif '08  h20homebirth.gif  and  moon.gif '10  uc.jpg

And a brand new baby  babygirl.gif born 4/12 uc.jpg

joy.gifOur family is now complete  chicken3.gif

Old 12-27-2009, 03:36 PM

I'm a very "fluffy" mommy who is currently pregnant with my third baby. I've been very fortunate in that my OB has never said a word about my weight. I've never been forced to have extra tests or classes (a close friend was sent to the GD class 14 weeks into her pregnancy because of her weight by a different OB--she never had GD). My weight has never even been brought up by my doctor. The only time it ever became a subject of conversation is when I brought it up. My doctor's answer was that of course I didn't need to gain too much weight, but that women of all sizes have healthy babies every single day.

My first pregnancy I did gain too much weight, but my second pregnancy, and so far this pregnancy (27 weeks) I have gained none. I was diagnosed with GD my second pregnancy, but just barely. My GD was controlled very easily by diet. I have been watching my diet and my blood sugar this pregnancy and so far so good.

As for maternity clothes, I have had great luck with Motherhood. Our local store does carry plus size, although not a ton. I've yet to have to order online. JC Penney also carries plus size maternity, but I've not bought any, primarily because I'd have to order it online. As for nursing bras, I did have to order mine online (I ordered from Amazon). I've found that the few nursing bras in stores in my size just don't have the support I'd like. Motherhood nursing bras are a joke if you're over a C cup. I've also been told that if you have a specialty store that deals with specialized sizes/problems (like mastectomies, etc.) that you can find some really fantastic nursing bras. It might be worth it to call around.

Candace - Mama to Molly (02/06), Max (06/08) and Maggie (03/10)
Old 12-27-2009, 06:12 PM

Guess I am ALSO A "FLUFFY" mommy

I am Currently at a whopping 263 and I'm 5'9"
I was 255 Last Month, BUT now that i'm pregnant I'm eating everything.
Very different from when I was PG With DS1

I was 250 When I Got PG with ds.
Lost weight During the first few Months and When I had him I was Only at 250!
HE was a 10lb 8.25 Oz Baby. Of course I had people Ask me daily if he was A GD Baby. HE WAS NOT! I was a 9lb 10 oz Baby, My mom was a 10lb 9oz Baby.
It just runs in the family.

I had high blood Pressure the last 2 Months and Was put on bed rest (not Strict But i wasnt doing anything else any way LOL)
Borderline PreEclampsa. But he was born 1 week and a half Overdue Via C section. Also Had a Hard time with my weight Cause when he was 6 weeks old I had to get my gall bladder removed. That Pain i wouldnt wish on even my worst enemy! But i wound Up getting pancreatitus and was in the Hospital for 10 days, Got out the day before mothers day!
Ever since then, I have had issues with food. Somethings make me sick and others just go right through me.

But anyway. Im getting some work out by playing with ds and playing rock band, The drums, On xbox 360 LOL!

Nice to know there are other FLUFFY Mommies like me!!!

(how do I post Pics? LMK )

SAHM to Almost 3Yr Old DS Alex , Recovering from another
Old 12-27-2009, 11:50 PM - Thread Starter

4 weeks
5 weeks
6 weeks

Still holding at 245lbs

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Old 12-28-2009, 01:14 AM

Me at 20 weeks at about 239 pounds:

http://s961.photobucket.com/albums/a...1.jpg&newest=1

and 17w3d:

http://s961.photobucket.com/albums/a...s.jpg&newest=1

I'm veeeery lucky in that the way I hold my weight along with how the baby is sitting in there is giving me a rocking bump already

Old 12-28-2009, 02:00 AM

Quote:

You are so welcome!! Sometimes fluffy mama's get looked down on during pregnancy - I even had a "friend" tell me I was endangering my unborn child's life by being "obese" and asked me how could I do such a thing, told me I was stupid and careless, ect... Broke my heart I didn't have any sugar issues with my DD, and no BP issues during my entire pregnancy.

That is a god awful thing to say to anyone let alone your friend *hugs*

Rhys & DH: waiting on our Stuffing
****5***10****15****20****25****30****35 ****40
Old 12-28-2009, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelinifer View Post
Me at 20 weeks at about 239 pounds:

http://s961.photobucket.com/albums/a...1.jpg&newest=1

and 17w3d:

http://s961.photobucket.com/albums/a...s.jpg&newest=1

I'm veeeery lucky in that the way I hold my weight along with how the baby is sitting in there is giving me a rocking bump already
Beautiful!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vandi View Post
That is a god awful thing to say to anyone let alone your friend *hugs*
Thanks mama....

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Old 12-28-2009, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Beautiful!!

Thanks mama....
Awww thank you!

Old 12-29-2009, 12:19 AM

Soooooo, how bad is it that I haven't taken any belly pictures this pregnancy?

Old 12-29-2009, 03:10 AM

I haven't taken any belly pics yet either, but at 16 weeks, I'm still not really showing.

I'm another fluffy mama. I had actually lost from 320 lbs down to 234 when I found out I'm pregnant. Since then I've managed to maintain my weight--the scales bounced up a few pounds the last week, but that's mostly from Christmas eating I think.

I just switched from my doc to a midwifery practice and haven't met with them yet. Not sure what the midwives will say, but my doc was cool with me maintaining my weight as long as I wasn't actively dieting. I'm hoping to gain between 10 and 15 pounds.

I actually have a lapband, but it's unfilled right now so I can pretty much eat normal amounts. I'm used to eating less AND I seem to have lost my sweet tooth, so eating well has been fairly effortless so far. Now that the first trimester food aversions seem to be fading, we'll see how the next few months go!
Old 12-29-2009, 03:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curvyred View Post
I haven't taken any belly pics yet either, but at 16 weeks, I'm still not really showing.

I'm another fluffy mama. I had actually lost from 320 lbs down to 234 when I found out I'm pregnant. Since then I've managed to maintain my weight--the scales bounced up a few pounds the last week, but that's mostly from Christmas eating I think.

I just switched from my doc to a midwifery practice and haven't met with them yet. Not sure what the midwives will say, but my doc was cool with me maintaining my weight as long as I wasn't actively dieting. I'm hoping to gain between 10 and 15 pounds.

I actually have a lapband, but it's unfilled right now so I can pretty much eat normal amounts. I'm used to eating less AND I seem to have lost my sweet tooth, so eating well has been fairly effortless so far. Now that the first trimester food aversions seem to be fading, we'll see how the next few months go!
So you lost the weight before you got pregnant? How do you turn off the lapband? That is interesting.

So far in my pregnancy (34 weeks.) I lost 15 lbs and gained about 10 back so far.

I lost 15 because of first trimester woes and less sugar in my diet.

I am hoping this time to have my PPD in check so that I don't gain more, as well as all the other reasons to take care of depression.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Wow, that's a huge weight loss before baby!

hippie.gif Hi, I'm Amber

Old 12-29-2009, 01:33 PM

Hi! I'm 5'9" and right now around 305-310. Well into morbid obese land -- probably actually super-morbid obese.

I was 290 when I got pregnant with #1; ended the pregnancy at 335
Started #2 at 315; ended at 345.
Started #3 at 290; 31 weeks righ now so we'll see where it goes.

No complications with #1. BP between 100/60 and 120/80; 1 hour glucose test 105.
No complications with #2. BP between 105/60 and 122/85; 1 hour glucose test 101.
No complications with #3 so far; BP same range, glucose 82.

Baby 1 was 7 lb 1 oz; baby 2 was 8 lb 7 oz. Two beautiful natural labors.

In other words, I had easier, healthier pregnancies than many of my friends who are in the normal weight range. So stop treating me like a high risk pregnancy!

Annette -- I don't have a lapband, but my SIL does, and I did some research for her before her surgery. Unfilled, it's just a loose ring around the top of your stomach. Since it exerts no pressure, it doesn't affect how much you eat. When they put liquid in it, it gets tighter and narrows the channel for food to get into your stomach so you cna't eat as much as fast.

Tags
Healthy Baby Weight Trending Scale , Learning Resources Weighted Numbers Set Of 10 Red And Blue , Ending The Food Fight Guide Your Child To A Healthy Weight In A Fast Food Fake Food World
User Tag List