Grooming the lady parts while pregnant - TMI - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 01-05-2010, 01:44 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Er... I know this wasn't the intent of this thread, obviously... but you all are making me feel very self conscious! I've never shaved or waxed or even trimmed my pubic hair.

Now I am wondering if the OB/GYN is filled with shock and horror when she sees me. I kinda like my hair, and never thought to do a thing to it. I thought this was a fairly "normal" take on pubic hair until I read this thread.

(FYI, I do shave my legs and pits... And my pubic hair isn't super dooper long or thick - maybe since I have blond hair so the hair "down there" is a dark blond? Errr.... I'm sort of justifying here aren't I?)

I suppose being pregnant isn't the time for me to start experimenting with trimming the pubic hair, though...

Alright.... sorry for the self-indulgent post here. I just had to voice my sudden self-consciousness.

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
#32 of 48 Old 01-05-2010, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyZymurgy View Post
Er... I know this wasn't the intent of this thread, obviously... but you all are making me feel very self conscious! I've never shaved or waxed or even trimmed my pubic hair.

Now I am wondering if the OB/GYN is filled with shock and horror when she sees me. I kinda like my hair, and never thought to do a thing to it. I thought this was a fairly "normal" take on pubic hair until I read this thread.
according to this: http://www.vagisil.com/special_200604.shtml only a third of women do it

I started it as a teenager because i found the hair gross... and found it so much easier to keep clean when well trimmed. I continued as I got older because its just so much prettier to DF.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#33 of 48 Old 01-05-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Don't feel bad! I consider myself pretty crunchy, but have always shaved abit since I like lap swimming at the gym. I remember stopping to catch my breath one time at the end of the lane,and this woman walked by with full bush all over the outside of the bathing suite, the hair was out all the way to the back. I am a firm believer to each her own. You don't want to shave, be my guest. But I can't deal with that on my own body. I recently starting shaving everything off as well, I noticed it makes things more sensitive in a good way

Aidan 8/11/99 Bryn 9/7/04 Jardin is here! 8/23/10 ~Kindness is My Religion~ Dalai Lama
#34 of 48 Old 01-05-2010, 03:13 PM

LOL. Love some of the responses here (the previous one - with bush all out at the pool?? YIKES!!). I would try not to stare, but I think I just would. SORRY. lol.

I don't think it's unnatural to want to keep groomed down there either. But I also think it is a societal thing in the time we're living. A few hundred years ago it just wouldn't have been thought of. I mean, I think they were shaving and waxing in France - but that was upper class women and most people outside of that society thought it was really strange.

Personally, I think it is easier to keep clean when I have shorter hair, so that is why I do it!

I like to use an electric shaver...you have a guard, and don't really need to see much!

Amanda, wife to my best friend Josh, Mommy to Jenna, Lukas, Adam, Livea and Ethan!
#35 of 48 Old 01-05-2010, 03:21 PM

My skin really doesn't like shaving, I prefer waxing. I used to go to a salon, but the last year or so I've been doing it myself with a body sugar kit (I would definitely recommend having a professional do it the first few times).

I usually sit/recline on the bath mat with a mirror (and the door locked!). I have done it once since becoming pregnant and it wasn't any worse than before. I am curious how awkward it will be when I get bigger.

Paula, mama to DS M (7/2010) sleepytime.gif and Watson (1998) dog2.gif and welcoming baby Penny (8/1/2013) babyf.gif

#36 of 48 Old 01-05-2010, 04:03 PM

Quote:

FWIW, mine doesn't look like I do much to it. I don't trim/shave the edges - I just shorten the overall length. My hair gets really long and bushy and actually starts to hurt from being pressed on by my clothes when it is long, so for me it's just more comfortable when it's shorter. I don't care how it looks, and DH says he prefers it "natural" as well.

I get around the "bikini line" swimsuit issue by wearing board shorts to swim in.

Chai, DS (3/05) and DS (2/10)
#37 of 48 Old 01-05-2010, 06:02 PM

Love this thread! My sis in law & I were just discussing this over the weekend...she still can't believe how trimmed I was for DD #1's birth (she was there for it). We both ended up with c sections so now our tummy pooch makes it even harder than the normal pregnancy belly & I told her how I was just "using the force" to get everything I wanted to get at this point.

Although I am more on the crunchy side...been a deadhead since I was a teen...I just prefer to be completely shaven. I use the Venus one with all the moisture strips & just some Dove Sensitive Skin soap for a lather. Never had any issues.

Lately, to get the job done, I have been bending in all kinds of positions in the shower-leg up, leg down, lifting up the belly, pushing it over to the side LOL...and honestly...using the force...

Stephanie~hippie.gifwife to Dov, mama to Ella Irie (9/24/07) & Kaya Raine (2/1/10)~our vbac.gifbaby, born 45 hours after PROM!!!
#38 of 48 Old 01-05-2010, 06:03 PM

i plan on investing in a beard trimmer this time around. and a large hand held mirror.

SAHM to Hannah (11/04), Cash (02/08), and Adelaide (07/10) dh, Chris.
#39 of 48 Old 01-06-2010, 12:20 AM

I was just discussing this with a friend today!! I am 35 weeks and plan on going in around 38 weeks for a proper waxing. This is my second time around and honestly it made life so much easier while recovering and dealing with all the after birth discharge. I don't do a full brazillian, but having everything trimmed and the sides dealt with help.
#40 of 48 Old 01-06-2010, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post
I find it strangely ironic that an online women's community which leans heavily towards "natural" everything even has a post about this.

Different strokes, I guess.
Hmmm... I don't find it strange at all. In fact we shave/trim our goats "down there" before they give birth too

I have been wondering about this problem as it gets increasingly hard to see and maneuver. Thanks for all the good tips!

Kelcey... in love with DH, and DD born 10/13/07, and a little DS born 2/23/10!
#41 of 48 Old 01-06-2010, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
With my previous children I didnt care toward the end. the only ones seeing me down there were doctors and nurses so whatever right? lol
:this:

Out of sight, out of mind.
#42 of 48 Old 01-06-2010, 01:02 PM

The beard and mustache trimmer still managed to nick me, and I found it too hard to juggle the mirror anyway, so I ended up just slathering the whole area with Magic Cream. http://texasbeautysupplies.com/magfragcream.html It's like Nair, but caused less irritation, in my experience.

Mama K: Child of God, wife to S, mama to 3 little beauties and 1 handsome little guy!

#43 of 48 Old 01-07-2010, 03:57 PM

Quote:

(FYI, I do shave my legs and pits... And my pubic hair isn't super dooper long or thick - maybe since I have blond hair so the hair "down there" is a dark blond? Errr.... I'm sort of justifying here aren't I?)

I suppose being pregnant isn't the time for me to start experimenting with trimming the pubic hair, though...

Alright.... sorry for the self-indulgent post here. I just had to voice my sudden self-consciousness.
We all have such different amounts and thicknesses of pubic hair... I like to trim mine so it doesn't get pulled by my underwear and is in general cleaner feeling. But a lot of people don't have this problem. It seems like you are in this camp~ no need to be self conscious in my opinion

Kelcey... in love with DH, and DD born 10/13/07, and a little DS born 2/23/10!
#44 of 48 Old 01-07-2010, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post

With my previous children I didnt care toward the end. the only ones seeing me down there were doctors and nurses so whatever right? lol
: this is how I feel now. I am trimming up down there but there are no waxing services here in bufu Germany and I think the Nurses and OBs might be a little shocked if I came in waxed up. hahaha I LOVE getting brazilians but accepted that when in Germany do as the Germans do.

Mommy to one champagne.gif
#45 of 48 Old 01-07-2010, 06:19 PM

I'm just so used to doing it, I can do it without being able to see. I shower without glasses or contacts so I normally can't see anyway so a big belly is no problem for me.

Wife, childbirth educator and homeschooling mama to DS 6/05, DD 8/07, DS 6/10 and new baby July/Aug 2012.

#46 of 48 Old 01-07-2010, 09:58 PM

My DH did it for me with my first. But now I get a brazilian every 4 weeks, so I'll continue doing that throughout the pregnancy.
#47 of 48 Old 01-08-2010, 12:05 AM

Wow! I'll bet you didn't know what a popular topic this was going to be when you posted! I got used to being, um, clean-shaven when I was a lifeguard for a number of years and have never been able to stand anything else, even when I'm pg. Call me crazy, but I just use my regular old Gillette razor and do it by feel every time I shower. This is my third pg, and I have yet to hurt myself, so I guess I'm lucky!

Gayle, mom to Reagan and Ryan, 09/15/03, Cade, 12/08/05 and sweet Josiah, 05/23/10-07/16/10
#48 of 48 Old 01-08-2010, 01:12 AM

Oh dear--at 33 weeks here this has been a concern of mine lately! The title made me laugh as well--it can get really difficult to do much of anything--I am measuring about 44 inches around and can't see a thing. Last pregnancy I tried to trim hair I could not see with a small scissors and ended up cutting some very sensitive skin...I am trying to be more careful this time around.

Waxing is something I had tried in the past and it was unbearably painful for me--wouldn't go back even if I had the money to. I think the 'mirrors and angles' plan is the way to go....

Single HB mama to 2!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page