Grooming the lady parts while pregnant - TMI - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 08:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was wondering how others groom their lady parts once you can't see past the belly? I am unfortunately blessed in this area, and I like things to be on the tidier side, but I am not into things like waxing both because I have super-sensitive skin, and it is not cheap. I am thinking about that Norelco body groomer thing, but I'm just not sure. When I can see down there, I just use scissors. I could still use scissors, but can't think of a comfy position to hold a mirror in to see what I'm doing. Last pregnancy I could see there for longer or was carrying differently, so it wasn't as much of a problem. What do you ladies do?

P.S. I also don't trust DH to help. He is not the best with the fine motor skills.

Home water birthing, non-circing, delayed vaxing, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing Mommy to DS1 5/08, DS2 5/10 and wife to sweetest hubby ever.
#2 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 09:20 AM

I'm 24 weeks and wondering the same thing. What little bit I can see involves a mirror or excruciating yoga positioning! LOL I told Dh he'd have to be my new groomer soon but he's not impressed.

I did ask some other ladies about this and one who work in a salon says it's not an unusual request when pregnant women come in and just want things tidied up. It's often women who don't usually get waxed but can't see to trim themselves. I still think it may be more than I want to spend.

Alicia - Mother to DS (12) and finally expecting another
Living on 100 acres with the love of my life, our son, goats, chickens, ducks, a cat and 2 Chesapeakes!
#3 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 10:31 AM

When I'm pregnant I usually do one of two things either A) stand in front of my bathroom sink mirror since it is a full body it works pretty well, or B) I trim while in the bathtub so that I'm kinda lying back some. This helps flatten out the belly a little making it easier to see. I use a razor and I do admit that once I get farther along it isn't as great a job as when I'm not pregnant but it generally keeps things under control, LOL.

Katana - Full time student : and SAHM to 5 kids
Boy / Girl Twins born 5/5/2010!!!
#4 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 11:07 AM

I'm not 100% sure because I haven't gotten to that point yet (18 weeks), but up till now I can pretty much trim things up by feel by using one of those little vibrating trimmer things that have interchangeable length heads. They are about $15 in the line up at wal mart and similar stores- it's called "bikini touch" and I think it's an "as seen on TV" product. You can't shave with it but it will trim to your desired length and if you have one of the longer heads on it you can pretty much just drag it around wherever and not make too much of a mistake! It is rather messy so I use it over the tub (but not wet).
#5 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 11:13 AM

I second using a mirror...but towards the end of my pregnancy I was so huge, that didn't even work (and I kind of stopped caring) PP I was SO happy be be able to see my fee/lower body again!

Dirt worshiping, creatress Mama to Rowan and Alden - home birth loving, no circ, no vax, extended breast feeding, cloth diapering, baby wearing, cosleeping

#6 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 11:27 AM

I managed to tidy up this weekend (26 weeks) by lying back in the tub. Like a PP said, it let my tummy flatten just enough to *barely* see over it. I was still sure I had probably given myself bald spots, though. I got out and had to ask DH if it looked okay. I used a razor to clear off the bikini line and then just used the razor to trim the longest bits. That said, I doubt I'll be able to do it again... I could only barely do it this time.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#7 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 12:26 PM

I actually let DH even though it is very stressful . Mostly, though, I don't bother ....

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
#8 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 12:36 PM

I usually ask DH to help, but I also don't bother with it as much as when I'm not pregnant. If you use an electric razor with a guard, it's hard to actually cut your skin. It certainly can happen, but the guard does a pretty good job at keeping the cutting part away from skin. I would caution against doing it yourself, though. I did that shortly before my second child was born and, from the birth pics, it looks like a lawnmower went crazy down there. Things were all uneven and I'm sure the dr and nurses have seen crazier things, but it still didn't look good.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#9 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 12:50 PM

I use a beard and mustache trimmer to keep things a little shorter down there and then I trim the edges with a razor by feel. Works for me.

Organic gardening, raising, SAHM to my precious baby girl Leyla, born 4/29/10, ten days late and after 32 hours of labor but well worth the wait!
#10 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 12:59 PM

http://thepeachtart.blogspot.com/
Scroll down...a lady finds an "artist" on craigslist. Maybe there is such a service near you?

I errr...someone I know trims what is visible with sharp hair scissors then shaves by feel. Its very nerve-wracking, but its kind of like always wear clean underpants in case of emergency.
#11 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 01:22 PM

We have a Robocut that DH uses to cut his own hair, which is just like a Flowbee, and I'm planning on trying that out shortly (pun, ha ha).

Chai, DS (3/05) and DS (2/10)
#12 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 01:40 PM

This is my first pregnancy and I can still see enough to do it myself. But, I'm already to my husband that he'll get the honors in the future, and he's quite excited. Dare I use the emoticon to represent my husband... the one with the fork and knife? LOL!
#13 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 01:53 PM
LZP

I've never gotten to a big pregnant before, but I usually use a remington personal groomer (sold for beards and mustaches) for keeping things trimmed up down there. It has attachments to keep the cutting parts from going right against your skin, but I use it without the guard, and have only gotten overzealous once or twice.

DH will use it with the guard once I can't see anymore. he isn't thrilled about it, but would rather do that than see the alternative...

The babymoon isn't over! Our long awaited A born 7/18/10, making us laugh and smile every day.
#14 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 02:15 PM

This thread made me giggle remembering how stupid I was about 5 1/2 years ago. I was hugely pregnant with my ds. I had never really trimmed the middle area down there, just a bit on the sides and not for quite awhile. I had a ton of pelvic pressure that wasn't allowing me to sleep. I was convinced I had hairs that were getting pulled and thats what was causing the pain. One night I got up, frustrated and exhausted. I went into the bathroom, took out a hand mirror, laid it on the floor, propped my foot on the toilet, and started shaving down there. With a regular disposable razor. Oh. My. Word. It did NOT feel better. I still had the pelvic pressure, and in addition it itched like CRAZY. Never again will I take anything sharp to any part of my body while pregnant.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#15 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 02:18 PM

I became a fan of waxing years ago while prepping for a vacation in the sun and not wanting to deal with shaving everyday or ingrown hairs, rashes or itching. I used to only go every few months but now I go every 6 weeks and it is so worth the 20 minutes of pain to not worry about for weeks. I agree that it is pretty pricey, I think the price should drop as the hair down there thins out..., but I've decided I will give up other luxuries for this one! I'm 34 weeks and went in for my most recent wax a couple weeks ago and have another one planned for 38 weeks. I am in the camp that I have to have things in order down there, plus I swim a lot at the gym so needing that area kept is pretty necessary. Plus, I have to admit, I've watched birthing videos... and although at the time I know I won't give two hoots what everything is like down there except for what's coming out, I'd be horrified if I looked liked some of the women in the videos . So yeah to waxing! My DH has offered to help do an at-home wax though - I told him only if he let me use it on him too He declines the offer!

Thrilled to be expecting Baby #2 after 15 months TTC (a 30% drop in TTC time than Baby #1!)

"Everything that is done in the world is done by hope." Martin Luther

#16 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 02:55 PM - Thread Starter

Maybe the mustache trimmer is the way to go - much less pricey than the items meant for body grooming, especially since I only want to do the one area. Glad to hear from the PP that waxing isn't as terrible during pregnancy as I'd heard, but I'm not ready to try it just yet. I've done waxing in other spots and my skin does not like it.

So glad for this community - not a question you can ask many others face to face.

Home water birthing, non-circing, delayed vaxing, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing Mommy to DS1 5/08, DS2 5/10 and wife to sweetest hubby ever.
#17 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 03:10 PM

I use the little mustache/beard clippers. At 25 weeks, I can still see everything to do it myself. If it ever gets too bad, however, I've got DH on standby for his barber services. He trims himself up using them, so I trust him to do me, too!
#18 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAMommy View Post
Glad to hear from the PP that waxing isn't as terrible during pregnancy as I'd heard, but I'm not ready to try it just yet. I've done waxing in other spots and my skin does not like it.
Yeah, I don't think it's any more painful during pregnancy than any other time. I usually end up with red inflamed bumps all over after I get waxed and it can be quite sensitive - usually gone within 12-24 hours or so. It looks horrible but it doesn't really hurt that much. The worst part is the pain in my pocketbook! The spa I get it done at has a regular bikini wax for around $40 but I get the extended which costs me $55.

Thrilled to be expecting Baby #2 after 15 months TTC (a 30% drop in TTC time than Baby #1!)

"Everything that is done in the world is done by hope." Martin Luther

#19 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 06:03 PM

I find it strangely ironic that an online women's community which leans heavily towards "natural" everything even has a post about this.

Different strokes, I guess.

Darla dishes.gif Jimguitar.gif Wrenflower.gif Papahat.gif Grandma dog2.gifNana Anne jumpers.gif & the Great Cosmic Mimi om.gif
3 houses - 2 blocks in the old neighborhood = 1 eclectic/traditional tribe!
#20 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaBorn View Post
I find it strangely ironic that an online women's community which leans heavily towards "natural" everything even has a post about this.

I don't think there's too much that's unnatural about cutting hair... just my opinion, of course, but I cut lots of things and have never considered it to be unnatural! (Cloth, paper, my lawn, my veggies, my hair, my fingernails, etc., etc. )

Chai, DS (3/05) and DS (2/10)
#21 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 06:35 PM

I agree it is natural to want to maintain. It is different strokes, but that is how the world works.
For me, I use to wax but since entering mommy land I have zero time to make an appt for me to get it done (if i get 5 min for me time I usually go for the pedi). Boy I do miss those days, plus the cost is up there. For me razors are OUT! Pain for me, razor burn and ingrown hairs hurt way to much. I find Nair works the best, for either maintenance or for the 'full effect'. I found it easy when I was prego, just lay on a towel, apply with mirror, wait 10 min and rinse in shower. Plus it is super cheap! Last longer than shaving, but not as long as waxing. And no pain, which of course was the best part!!

WOH Wife to Steve 3/31/07 ; Mama to Sophia Margaret 9/26/07; and Ava Grace 2/5/09
#22 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 06:35 PM

I'm still able to reach fine, but last time it was a pain. I trim the hair on my pubic bone with a trimmer, fairly fool proof and i don't really care if it looks like it's done right, i just can't handle the long hair. I shave all the underparts and bikini line by feel in the shower, i pretty much do it by feel when not pregnant anyway. I found the hardest part last time was reaching and not getting sore from trying to bend and stretch.

I cannot stand fully grown in pubic hair, mine is very course and very straight, so it really seems to get long. It's nothing to do with how it looks, although less hair makes sex more pleasurable for me (DH swears he doesn't care). I don't think it's unnatural at all, i shave my armpits too because i hate the feeling of it grown in (and i have on several occasion let it grow in to see if i could get used to it. I very rarely shave my legs because i don't notice the hair there.

It's a hygeine/personal comfort thing

Mom to Lizzy born May 2007 & expecting Baby#2 June/July 2010
#23 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 08:20 PM

This is timely!

Just this morning I was using my trimmers (I have an electric beard trimmer thing just for this purpose ) and realized I can barely see what I am doing and I'm only 25 weeks! I don't remember getting to that point with DD1 but I guess I must have been by the end.

Anyway, I just use these about once a month and use a razor at the edges.

It does look really funny though - even now I did it totally uneven! lol Hopefully I'll get more skilled before the end at trimming without a good view. Though I don't think I'll care at all once I am in labor!

mama to two sweet girliesdust.gifhearts.gifrainbow1284.gif 
#24 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 10:17 PM

I'm a pretty natural girl, and I haven't shaved my legs in 5+ years. But I do like to trim the "area" too - partly for the look (and because I like to go swimming a lot, and even though my legs are hairy, it feels different to have dudes at the gym see my pubes hanging out of the suit) but mostly because a short trim increases sensation for me!
I have been putting off trimming for months now - something I often do in the winter anyway - and now I'm getting scared about trying the trim without being able to see, too! I have a "beard trimmer" that works pretty well, but it will snag and pull hair/ skin if I go too fast... yikes
#25 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy_francis View Post
I agree it is natural to want to maintain. It is different strokes, but that is how the world works.
For me, I use to wax but since entering mommy land I have zero time to make an appt for me to get it done (if i get 5 min for me time I usually go for the pedi). Boy I do miss those days, plus the cost is up there. For me razors are OUT! Pain for me, razor burn and ingrown hairs hurt way to much. I find Nair works the best, for either maintenance or for the 'full effect'. I found it easy when I was prego, just lay on a towel, apply with mirror, wait 10 min and rinse in shower. Plus it is super cheap! Last longer than shaving, but not as long as waxing. And no pain, which of course was the best part!!
Yeah I do this too, although I've found I prefer the Veet Sensitive cream (in the tube or pump bottle) because it doesn't have that burning sensation and doesn't smell much.

They call it a no no, but is the ONLY way I can deforest without irritation.

-:¦:-♥Sarah Lynne♥-:¦:-Wife to Michael and Mommy to Austin(5), Steven(3), Tristyn(1), and Laurelyn (6/3/2011)

#26 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 10:44 PM

Quote:

I did grow all my body hair out once when I was younger & I absolutely HATED the way it looked (except for the armpits ~ I let those grow out every winter for a few years). My husband cuts his hair and shaves his face. I cut the hair on my head.

I shave pretty much everything off when Im not pregnant & the only thing I change while pg is that I stop shaving in the very front. I tried looking in a mirror last time & ended up w/ a crooked line! Id rather have a higher hair line than a crooked one! As for trimming what is left, Im pretty sure I just did not last time. Since all the rest is gone, extra in the front really doesnt affect anything.

jumpers.gif

DD (4.25.08)  DD (4.23.10)  DD (10.13.12)

#27 of 48 Old 01-04-2010, 11:44 PM

I love the Schick Quattro for Women Trimstyle Razor. I got it in the razor section of Walmart. It hangs in the shower, has a razor on one end and a length-adjustable waterproof trimmer on the other. Trimming is pretty foolproof, even when I can't see what I'm doing. For the edges, I use the razor and just go by touch.
#28 of 48 Old 01-05-2010, 01:27 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I was seriously just wondering this this past weekend when I thought, what am I going to do when...!!! I do wax, full leg and bikini line and have for 11 years. When I was in school and honestly-for-real broke I used an epilady. When I got my first job out of school I swore my monthly wax would be the VERY LAST thing to go if I ever had $ problems again. The epilady was horrible!

I have had a ... more thorough shall we say? bikini wax once. She just wanted me to try it (didn't upcharge). Oh my lord it HURT!!! Never again. Anyway, gonna have to get one of those trimmers and have DP do the trimming when I get big. Thanks soo much for this topic!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#29 of 48 Old 01-05-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:

It is kind of funny, given that birthing women fought for years to avoid being trimmed or shaved!

I like the mind to be a dustbin of scraps of brilliant fabric, odd gems, worthless but fascinating curiosities, tinsel, quaint bits of carving, and a reasonable amount of healthy dirt.
#30 of 48 Old 01-05-2010, 01:33 PM

Quote:

It IS natural... its a natural pleasure increaser instead of using gels and other stimulants to increase the feeling down there... we just shave off the hair

With my previous children I didnt care toward the end. the only ones seeing me down there were doctors and nurses so whatever right? lol

this time... Its something Im not looking forward to... but maybe Ill have DF do it. Hes a Marine... hes used to close shaves... but he also loves me and would do everything in his power not to hurt me

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page