Low laying placenta/Placenta previa - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-12-2010, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm beyond frustrated with the pre-natal care here! I'm almost 32 weeks and had an ultrasound today to confirm placenta position. I was told it was "touching" the os but not overlapping and unless I get to 3 cm I'll be having a c-section. I was not told how many cm I was no matter how many times I asked. All she would say was touching and that it is not placenta previa of any kind. So I could be anywhere from 0 cm to 3 cm I suppose.
Anyways just wondering what anyone has been told as to a safe distance to attempt a home birth. Even better if anyone has any stories of their placenta moving well out of the way from 32 to 36 weeks I could really use them. Also would a private or 3d scan give me a better idea or should I just wait until 36 weeks and think lots of "placenta move up" thoughts until then?
I'm booked for another scan at 36 weeks but it is at the same hospital that wouldn't give me exact numbers the last two scans. I'm trying to get a hold of my records at the moment but I'm not sure how long that will take.
I have emailed my midwife but could really use some support. I'm terrified of a c-section and I'm totally crushed that they are now pushing one on me when I've spent almost 2 years and a ton of money planning a home birth.

: mama to my busy girl : in march
Always watched over: :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 01-12-2010, 05:01 PM

I had previa earlier in this pregnancy. By 20 weeks the placenta was flush with the os and my homebirth midwife said she would be comfortable delivering with that. She said she's had other mothers who've had no problem with it. I had another ultrasound at 28 weeks and they said it was just fine because the placenta was "a couple" of centimeters away. I didn't ask how many a couple was, though I probably should have. They assumed I was delivering at their hospital and apparently they considered the problem resolved because they didn't ask for another ultrasound.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the uterus grows the most in the third trimester and thus the placenta has the most chance of moving then. So try not to stress about it (I know that's not easy to do).

On a side note, this baby is the lowest of all four of my pregnancies. Right now at 36 weeks, her head is completely engaged and has been for a week or so. I don't know if that has to do with placental location, but it's an interesting correlation.
#3 of 4 Old 01-13-2010, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. I'm frustrated that I can't get a measurement from the people that took the silly ultrasound! I'm going to book in with a private clinic in a few weeks to get some answers because I don't trust the same people that didn't tell me anything the last two times to suddenly start with free flowing information. A few weeks will give me some time to grow too.

: mama to my busy girl : in march
Always watched over: :
#4 of 4 Old 01-13-2010, 09:56 PM

Mine moved out of the way at the last minute - 36 weeks or so. I'd be persistent and get another scan.

mama to dd 2x Our sweet boy is here! 7/27

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page