Do you drink kombucha? - Mothering Forums

#1 of 11 Old 01-12-2010, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I love love love kombucha. I drank it during my last pergnancy every other day or whenever I felt like it.

This time around I feel this wave of tension when I drink it, almost liek a tingly tightness moving through my neck and shoulders and then I feel like I get cramps...so odd.

I only drink the plain GT raw organic version that you buy at the healthfood store. Is this a no no or something? I've never read anything saying it can be harmful but I sure don't like how I feel afterward which is SO depressing because I LOVE it. And strange becasue it's never happened before.

Just curious if anyone has any info or experience with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 01-12-2010, 08:18 PM

I don't, but I've actually wanted to start-I haven't heard anything about not drinking it, except in the normal context of not eating anything fermented/unpazturized/etc. in pregnancy, which I have always ignored. You might try posting this in the Traditional Foods forum, they might be more knowledgeable about it there.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 4 amazing girls, an awesome little boy, and a little surprise making a debut this winter.
#3 of 11 Old 01-12-2010, 08:23 PM

My Kombucha tea says not to drink it while pregnant so I stopped when I got my BFP, don't know if its a valid warning or not. I also stopped drinking green tea because I've heard it can impair folic acid absorption.

Novel writing student Mama to ds (8y) and new DD 1-13-10.

#4 of 11 Old 01-12-2010, 08:49 PM

I'm also pregnant and love to drink kombucha and really want to see where this thread goes!

I stopped drinking it b/c I've heard that kombucha is really de-toxifying for your liver which is normally a great thing. However, I think convential wisdom says to avoid de-toxing at all during pregnancy.

I'm hoping someone knows more, b/c I'd love to start drinking it again!!
#5 of 11 Old 01-12-2010, 10:59 PM

I never thought twice about kombucha once I got my BFP, but it has always been in my mind as more of a probiotic benefit than a detoxifier. So - this prompted some research because I was curious. I found this Site which states the following about kombucha:

Quote:
Q. Can I drink kombucha during pregnancy?

A. If you are used to drinking kombucha, you can drink it while pregnant. It would be a good thing to drink 4 to 6 ounces with meals. However, if you have not drunk kombucha before, don't start while you are pregnant because occasionally someone has an adverse reaction and we don't want that to happen while you are pregnant. Don’t let kombucha be a substitute for your one quart of raw milk per day.
I also found these sites which provide some more elaborate info:
For
Happy Herbalist

Against
http://www.kombucha2000.com/faq.html

In summation, if you tend to lean toward TCM and the like, it's safe but be sure to stay aware of how it's affecting you. Western tradition finds studies 'inconclusive' and there isn't enough data to make a recommendation and advise to avoid.

I think that it's more along the line of things like unpasturized dairy, soft cheeses, alcohol: It just depends on what you do normally and what you are comfortable with. If I were the PP who had adverse reactions I would be steering away from it. However, as I said before I never thought twice about drinking it myself and enjoy the ocassional 4 oz once or twice a week.

HTH!

Me 27, DH 29, Little E. 02/01/2007 and Baby N. 04/18/2010
#6 of 11 Old 01-12-2010, 11:45 PM

I think there is quite a bit of info on the traditional foods board about this. Seems like it is not something you should start with if you are pregnant or breastfeeding, because of detox issues. If you have always drunk it, then you can continue. Also, if you have amalgam fillings or other metal problems, it might be wise to steer clear of it first, because it might move metals. And if it ever makes you feel funny, don't drink it.
#7 of 11 Old 01-13-2010, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Me and my friend both feel like we get some sort of slight tingly buzz from Kombucha....it might sound crazy, but it feels almost like an alcohol buzz, and we're both really lightweights when it comes to drinking alcohol.

DH thought I was just imagining it, but I know I'm not...especially when my friend says she feels the same way.

I don't know exactly why it does that though.
#8 of 11 Old 01-13-2010, 09:09 AM

There was something on the allergy forum about this a while back. I think it is the glucoronic acid doing it. But I don't know why. Or it might be an indication that your glucoronidation (detox cycle in your liver) is off somehow. I know, I am of no help. Ask there though, very informed mamas there.
#9 of 11 Old 01-13-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaGirl View Post
Me and my friend both feel like we get some sort of slight tingly buzz from Kombucha....it might sound crazy, but it feels almost like an alcohol buzz, and we're both really lightweights when it comes to drinking alcohol.

DH thought I was just imagining it, but I know I'm not...especially when my friend says she feels the same way.

I feel this way too!

I was a big kombucha drinker and read up on whether it was safe for pregnancy. FWIW, it may be a personal call, but ultimately my understanding was that it was not recommended, so I stopped drinking it and switched to kefir. If you feel strange drinking it in this pregnancy, that may be something to pay attention to.

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10
#10 of 11 Old 01-13-2010, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuavaGirl View Post

I get something like this too. It's mostly a heavy, tingling feeling in my legs, which I get when I drink a glass of wine...but I would get it from drinking only a couple mouthfuls of kombucha! Kinda freaked me out! I stuck with it for a while, but gave it up because I couldn't stop worrying about it.
#11 of 11 Old 01-13-2010, 07:15 PM

I drink kombucha all throughout my pregnancies. I used to brew it myself. Now I just splurge on the store-bought raw kind. If I drink a flavored kind, I get yeasty but am usually fine with the plain kind.

There isn't enough alcohol in it to hurt the fetus. The only thing that would harm the baby would be if mom were allergic to kombucha or if the kombucha, like any food, were contaminated. Overall, I would say that it's pretty safe!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page