Turning a posterior baby - Mothering Forums

Turning a posterior baby

Vancouvercat's Avatar Vancouvercat (TS)
07:43 PM Liked: 0
#1 of 10
01-14-2010 | Posts: 125
Hi all, wondering if anyone has had any luck turning their posterior baby to the "right" position? I am 38.5 weeks. I know about spinningbabies website but find it so hard to navigate! I have been going on all fours (hands and knees) for periods of time - is there anything else? Unfortunately babies head is already engaged, at least according to my midwife. Know that many or even most will rotate during labour but want to improve chances and do what I can now!

Thanks all for any advice!
umsami's Avatar umsami
07:48 PM Liked: 35
#2 of 10
01-14-2010 | Posts: 9,943
:

I've had three posterior babies... never got them to turn. I actually recently read an article that said it was associated with thyroid issues (w/ the Mom.)

I did the hands/knees thing too. Felt relief, but they never changed position. I also did more of a child's pose type thing (hands/knees... but down in front)... felt good, but no changes.

I remember reading something in my "Active Labor" book about using a scarf. Some technique that is done in Mexico... but I think it was for breech, not posterior babies. I'll try and find it and check.
Tulafina's Avatar Tulafina
09:27 PM Liked: 20
#3 of 10
01-14-2010 | Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami View Post
:

I've had three posterior babies... never got them to turn. I actually recently read an article that said it was associated with thyroid issues (w/ the Mom.)

I did the hands/knees thing too. Felt relief, but they never changed position. I also did more of a child's pose type thing (hands/knees... but down in front)... felt good, but no changes.

I remember reading something in my "Active Labor" book about using a scarf. Some technique that is done in Mexico... but I think it was for breech, not posterior babies. I'll try and find it and check.
I think what you're referring to is called a Rebozo...I used one in labour(had my hubby use it in early labour between cx's) and had some success for awhile but he turned back to posterior while walking around. I had "coupling" when I started to get regular cx's(the cx's would come in 2's...one would be 2 minutes apart and then I would go 7 mins and then another one 2 mins later)
and I knew that this was a sign he was not in an optimal position. I used a chiro throughout pregnancy/massage/used a yoga ball for good positioning etc and still he was posterior. I believe it was due to the fact that I had an anterior placenta.

The Rebozo(I think you can find info on spinningbabies dot com)is a large piece of fabric that your partner/doula etc uses to lift your belly in a hands and knees position. They lift it slightly, just enough to take some of the weight, and then jiggle your belly by moving their hands up and down slightly(one hand goes up toward the ceiling while the other goes straight down about 1-3 inches and vice versa). It is used to try and make the baby move down with gravity and some movement. I actually used this on a client and it worked .
Me...not so much

Anyway, posterior babies tend to make your back hurt so look into ways to ease you back pain if baby doesn't turn....double hip squeeze, lower back press, hot pack on lower back, use of water whether it's a birth pool or hot shower spraying on your back...they all help.

My guy stayed posterior through active labour but I know that if you try in early labour to get them to change positions(try going up the stairs 2 at a time, doing lunge squats with one leg up on a chair (to open and twist your pelvis), use a Rebozo, get in the knee/chest position(get on hands and knees, lay your chest and face on the ground and keep your butt high in the air with your knees apart about a hip-width) it may work to turn babe.

I had a successful homebirth with my posterior/face presentation baby....so I'm not so worried about it now but I know how worrisome it CAN be

Take Care and I hope some of this is useful for you!!
Julie
Vancouvercat's Avatar Vancouvercat (TS)
11:35 PM Liked: 0
#4 of 10
01-14-2010 | Posts: 125
Wow, thank you both so much for taking the time to offer your suggestions and support! Mamas rock!
MamaFern's Avatar MamaFern
11:46 PM Liked: 12
#5 of 10
01-14-2010 | Posts: 7,543
my midwife suggested spending time on the birth (sitting on it and bouncing) ball as well as doing yoga poses on hands and knees. my son was posterior right up till ealy labour, but then turned on his own..thank goodness!
kitteh's Avatar kitteh
11:57 PM Liked: 552
#6 of 10
01-14-2010 | Posts: 1,540
Commiserating. I'm 38 weeks with a sunny-side-up babe and I've been doing inversions and knee-chest positions a bunch, but I think maybe she's engaged already? Today the midwife said "this baby is ready to come" as she was feeling the head, so I assume that means she's engaged? I have a high anterior placenta, so maybe that's why. I'm just hoping that this doesn't mean I'll have a really long, painful labor, but I'm definitely keeping in mind the suggestions for relieving back pain.
at_the_hip's Avatar at_the_hip
12:35 AM Liked: 12
#7 of 10
01-15-2010 | Posts: 913
Maybe someone else here knows the reference, but I remember reading that an ambulatory woman in labor with a posterior baby was only 1-3% likely to actually deliver a face up baby. It was definitely very small. My babies like to hang out posterior and I suspect it has something to do with my pelvis shape? 2 of my 4 were born face up...no complications other than severe pain for me. Strangely, their births were my faster ones. The other (middle) two turned before delivery - long labors but no back labor! They were much longer but much easier, but I did have PPH with both of those and not with my shorter posterior births...the posterior births dd#1 had my water break before labor, and dd#4 had a slow leak. I don't have any known thyroid issues on bloodtests.
Lilcrunchie's Avatar Lilcrunchie
03:02 PM Liked: 0
#8 of 10
01-15-2010 | Posts: 1,431
I'm totally going to jinx myself but in my previous 2 pregnancies, babies have hung out posterior. With DS I had some contractions in my back for 2ish weeks prior to active labor, but in actual *active* labor never had back pain and he rotated and was not posterior by the time labor kicked in.

With my 2nd pregnancy DD hung out posterior. I saw a (webster trained) chiro, did more spinning babies stuff than I did with my first, etc. Never had back contractions and I guess she rotated before/during labor?

I'm 30w pg with #3 and he's currently hanging out posterior as well. I use the spinning babies ideas (hands and knees, sitting on ball, I use a wedge positioner to keep my pelvis tilted forward when driving, try to avoid semi reclining, etc. We'll see.

eta: my labor with DS was 6h 20 mins, with DD right around 3 hours.
tigress's Avatar tigress
04:19 PM Liked: 0
#9 of 10
01-15-2010 | Posts: 272
There is a homeopathic remedy called pulsatilla that I used to turn ds during labour. I just talked to another aquaintance who is about 37 weeks who used it and her baby has also turned (she's not in labour yet). I picked it up at Whole Foods on the advice of my midwife. And, it is also used for colds with green runny snot, so used it lots on ds when he was a toddler
Tulafina's Avatar Tulafina
04:31 PM Liked: 20
#10 of 10
01-15-2010 | Posts: 947
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigress View Post
There is a homeopathic remedy called pulsatilla that I used to turn ds during labour. I just talked to another aquaintance who is about 37 weeks who used it and her baby has also turned (she's not in labour yet). I picked it up at Whole Foods on the advice of my midwife. And, it is also used for colds with green runny snot, so used it lots on ds when he was a toddler
I used this in labour as well. I found personally it didn't help much but after I switched to a homeopathic remedy called Kali Karbonicum(used for back pain) I had much less back pain through early active labour. My labour with my face pres. baby was only 2 hrs long but the last hour was excruciating for me because I dilated so fast and he descended so darn fast.... I would keep a few homeopathic remedies on hand as well as Rescue remedy for transition It helped keep me grounded at the end.
Reply Subscribe I'm Pregnant