cord blood banking - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-22-2010, 09:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannah32 View Post
I'd like to do the public banking. First, we don't really have the money for private banking. Secondly, I like the karma aspect. We try and help someone and if its ever necessary, hope that someone will be there to help us.
I wish the public option was available to us, but unfortunately it's not for a homebirth where I live (WA).

And hapersmion, I totally don't remember my blood draw from the first time around, either! When the CBR guy called the other day to go over the last minute instructions he mentioned that, and in my head I was all, "Whaaaa?" But the first couple hours after birth are so surreal that I could have had the blood drawn by a panda and I probably wouldn't remember it!

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2010, 11:55 PM

At our birthcenter the midwives wait for the cord to stop pulsating then obtain the cord blood.Afew years ago we would have to weigh the specimen to see if was worth sending. Now you send whatever you collect usually because quantity does not equal amount of actual stem cells. The donating bank that will accept from ooh birthing center is new england cordblood bank. You just never know who in your life may be in need of these life saving cells
Old 01-23-2010, 02:15 AM

I talked to my OB about this today. All I asked was if she had any experience with cord blood donation. She said yes, she did. She wrote down some companies for banking and one for donation. I asked if there were any different procedures if we donated versus not. She said no, that we can definitely wait until the cord stops pulsing (I didn't even have to say anything about that) in most cases. If the cord is around the neck, we can't wait but there's not many other situations that would require clamping right away. I printed the application and filled it out today.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
Old 01-23-2010, 05:53 PM

I was sad to see that I can't donate cord blood because both myself and my husband have had acupuncture! I have been trying to give away my O- for SO long now I finally thought I'd be able to (have missed out due to piercings then traveling then pregnancy and finally acupuncture!)
Old 01-25-2010, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
Like I said, my particular midwife does delay cord clamping AND will do cord blood collection after the delay; She said that the circumstances of preventing the cord blood collection were if the baby were having trouble breathing or pinking up or just in any kind of distress whatsoever (mild or otherwise).
Quote:
Originally Posted by hapersmion View Post
Oh, one other thing people might like to know - a blood draw is required from the mother as well, to donate.

The weird thing was that I can't for the life of me remember that happening after my first birth, when we donated with the same company. Maybe I had other things on my mind, maybe they've changed the requirements since then...
Quote:
Originally Posted by is it puppies? View Post
I was sad to see that I can't donate cord blood because both myself and my husband have had acupuncture! I have been trying to give away my O- for SO long now I finally thought I'd be able to (have missed out due to piercings then traveling then pregnancy and finally acupuncture!)
We donated DD's cord blood. We didn't want to pay for storage and wanted the chance to give another family the gift of life.

Our midwife said we could donate even if we wanted to delay cord clamping. DD had trouble breathing at birth due to meconium inhalation, so we ended up having to cut the cord pretty quickly anyway.

I had acupuncture right before her birth and it wasn't a problem for my donation.

thalia loves Jesus and DH wordyeight and DD#1 : 8/2007 and DD#2 9/2010
and remembering: little turtle 5/23/2006 and poppyseed 7/15/2009

User Tag List