cord blood banking - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 01-17-2010, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
anyone researched this yet? i'm not really sure about it....i've heard it is super costly, and that the public option is cheaper but someone else can use the blood before you may need it.

just curious what other families have decided to do and why....

married to DH for 5 yrs, ds born at home 6/26/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 35 Old 01-17-2010, 08:40 PM

I admit I'm not sure whether all collection companies require this, but the ones around here require early cord clamping (which I guess is logical since they're collecting the blood). I prefer my baby have the cord blood pumped into his body now rather than saving it for possible use later.

4 kids under 10
#3 of 35 Old 01-17-2010, 09:16 PM

I researched it with both of my first few, and decided it's just a huge scam.
#4 of 35 Old 01-17-2010, 10:37 PM

we are doing the cord blood banking...my midwife recommended it, and it is mostly getting paid for through friends/baby shower contributions. my midwife said she doesn't do early cord clamping in order to collect the specimen.
honestly, i didn't do a whole lot of research ahead of time, and just read more about it right now than i did before making my decision...it does seem a little questionable in terms of the money spent vs the chances of it being useful. i suppose i just didn't want to be in a situation where it would be helpful and regret not having done it.
#5 of 35 Old 01-17-2010, 10:41 PM

We did thorough research and determined that it wasn't for us. For us, the potential benefits simply were too unproven to justify the cost.
#6 of 35 Old 01-17-2010, 11:02 PM

For us, too, the cost outweighs any potential future benefit (questionable). But I do wonder about donating cord blood - anyone know about that?
If it's not too much of a thread hijack
#7 of 35 Old 01-18-2010, 12:24 AM

With our second, we donated cord blood. I was going to with our third also, but I had received a blood transfusion 11 months prior to giving birth and they don't allow you to do it within a year. I'm thinking about looking into it again this time and talking with my OB to see if there would be a difference in her procedures for clamping.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#8 of 35 Old 01-18-2010, 02:50 PM

I wouldn't pay to save it, but I would have donated it if I could but didn't qualify. You have to meet certain criteria, as does dad, just like for regular blood odnation, but my husband had a needle stick injury so couldn't. Also you have to sign up quite early, I think by 30 weeks? I can't quite remember. In a lot of hospitals this blood is drawn out of the cord and saved for 1 week anyways, then it is discarded, so since they are taking it anyways, may as well donate it for something useful, instead of just throwing it away.
In canada you can donate through this:

http://www.acbb.ca/ACBBmain.htm
#9 of 35 Old 01-18-2010, 03:26 PM

I wondered about this too before we started working with a midwife. But once we learned about delayed cord clamping, it was a no-brainer. I prefer to allow my child to receive all the benefits they can now, rather than pay a lot of money to prevent a possible problem later.
It is my understanding that you have to clamp the cord right away to be able to bank. It is also my understanding that there is a lot of thought these days that clamping the cord right away can actually introduce problems. That's the baby's blood that belongs in their body that you're keeping from them. (That's my understanding anyway...)

Good luck to you!

Momma to born April 18, 2010!
#10 of 35 Old 01-18-2010, 04:31 PM

I don't believe it is available where I live yet.. at least it wasn't when I had my last hospital birth almost 5 years ago..
#11 of 35 Old 01-18-2010, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Consider the new research that's happening now:

http://www.komonews.com/news/81940967.html

SEATTLE - A major breakthrough in cancer treatment has been by scientists here in Washington.

The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center cleared a hurdle in the use of umbilical cord blood - using a new life to help save another.

The breakthrough could make umbilical-cord-blood transplants a more widely-used method for treating blood cancers like leukemia.

"I mean it's amazing," says Colleen Delaney of the Fred Hutchison Center.

"You can take someone else's trash - right when a baby is born you give life to that infant - but at the same time you can save the cells from the umbilical cord and give life to someone else who potentially needs a life-saving transplant."

Delaney says researchers have expanded core blood cells before, but they've never seen a significant clinical benefit.

But this time the center got results in an effort to decrease the time patients go without white blood cells.

Delaney says: "I think what this study shows is that we've definitively shown that we can do this - that we can manipulate cells in the laboratory, infuse them in patients and actually see some benefit in terms of early recovery of white cells. We cut the time almost in half of recovery of white blood cells."

Researchers say on average it took 14 days for the transplanted cells to engraft. In the past, it took four weeks using non-expanded units of cord blood.

This time, seven of the 10 patients survived with no evidence of disease.

Ages of the patients involved in the research ranged between 3 and 43. Researchers now plan on more clinical trials - and hope to spread their new findings.

"Very excited," Delaney says. "My patients are really my heroes and this is a tremendous step forward."

So - as one life begins, another could be saved.

Ages of the patients involved in the research ranged between 3 and 43. Researchers now plan on more clinical trials - and hope to spread their new findings.
#12 of 35 Old 01-18-2010, 06:04 PM - Thread Starter

yeah this is tough. just wanted some general info before i talk to my midwife about it next week.

i too am 100% committed to delayed clamping, so perhaps that right there eliminates the possibility of banking the blood.

on the other hand, i would be thrilled to donate it if we couldn't afford to store it ourselves.

will continue to research this. thanks ladies

here are two websites on donating:

http://www.cryo-intl.com/enroll/donating/

http://www.marrow.org/HELP/Donate_Co...ood/index.html

married to DH for 5 yrs, ds born at home 6/26/10
#13 of 35 Old 01-18-2010, 06:17 PM

I banked my son's cord blood....3 years later, I was diagnosed with essential thrombocythemia, which may require a stem cell transplant down the road, so now I'm glad I did!

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#14 of 35 Old 01-18-2010, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh7809 View Post
But I do wonder about donating cord blood - anyone know about that?
If it's not too much of a thread hijack
You have to check with your individual hospital. We're not going to bank the blood (agree with others on the cost vs. benefit), and instead wanted to donate it, but unfortunately our hospital does not participate in cord blood donation (I actually think it is more to do with the state of Maryland...stupid IMO considering how beneficial cord blood can be - someone should be able to use it).

SuzieQ (27), wife to my wonderful husband of 5 years, mom to a beautiful baby boy born 3.28.10
#15 of 35 Old 01-19-2010, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
We did this with our first and we're doing it with our 2nd too. For me, it's an insurance policy that I hope to never have to use. However, I also feel that I'm supporting research on using cord blood in novel ways. I would have liked to delay cord clamping (even if we hadn't been able to collect the blood), but with an OB, it's not always an option. Ours had even agreed to delay it, and then apparently "forgot". I actually plan on bringing this up with my current OB. I do think it's better to get the benefit of it now, but if that's not possible, I'm fully willing to pay the cost of storing the blood. We did it with CBR, and they do give a discount (or did at least) to military families.
#16 of 35 Old 01-19-2010, 01:42 AM

does anybody know for sure if whether or not you can delay cord clamping? I want to but it'd be nice to donate... but not if it would be bad for my baby...
#17 of 35 Old 01-19-2010, 09:35 AM

I asked my midwife about it and she said she does delay cord clamping even when collecting cord blood. So it is possible.
#18 of 35 Old 01-20-2010, 04:04 PM

I think the private banking option is too expensive, unless you have some reason to think you'll need the blood. *shrug*

We donated my son's cord blood and placenta. We were able to get enough blood, even though we waited until the cord stopped pulsing. I think waiting is a very good idea, since your baby needs its blood - there might not be enough blood if you wait, but sometimes there is. We're planning to donate again with this birth, my kit should arrive tomorrow!

If you're interested in donating, some hospitals do donations, but I think most don't. You can look it up online pretty easily, or ask the hospital. There are two companies that accept donations from anywhere in the US, though, and you can do that even if you're homebirthing! My son's birth was at the Farm, and we successfully donated, even though the courier who comes out to pick up the kit got lost...

The company I use is Lifebank/Celgene, because they're the only ones who take the placenta. I haven't been able to find any information about their donation program online, but if you call their customer service/information number on their website, they'll transfer the call, though they may try to sell you on private banking first. :P The other nation-wide company is cryo-intl.com, I believe.
#19 of 35 Old 01-20-2010, 10:47 PM

Cord blood donation is available in ANY STATE! Wisconsin does not have their own cord blood bank, however Cryobanks collects the blood and pays for all charges associated with shipping it, etc. PLEASE consider donating your cord blood...my 33 yr old brother in law has leukemia and is a father of 3 young children, they need cord blood and every unit donated is a chance at life for someone else!!! And it costs you NOTHING and can SAVE LIVES! Make a difference instead of trashing it :-D There's really no excuse not to!

Here is the link to donate from ANY state:
http://cryo-intl.com/enroll/donating/
#20 of 35 Old 01-20-2010, 10:48 PM

FYI...if you donate for FREE your cord blood and it has not been used at the point in time your family needs to use it, they will allow you to have it! This means you have paid NOTHING and have saved the life of one of your children or your family members!!!
#21 of 35 Old 01-20-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babymommy2 View Post
Also you have to sign up quite early, I think by 30 weeks? I can't quite remember.

You must complete all forms prior to your 34th week of pregnancy!! And the qualifying info is pretty basic, if you aren't diseased or newly tatooed, you are good to go basically.
#22 of 35 Old 01-20-2010, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgreenbean View Post
Cord blood donation is available in ANY STATE!

Here is the link to donate from ANY state:
http://cryo-intl.com/enroll/donating/
Can you please point me to the area where it says it is available in any state?
#23 of 35 Old 01-21-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ3417 View Post
You have to check with your individual hospital. We're not going to bank the blood (agree with others on the cost vs. benefit), and instead wanted to donate it, but unfortunately our hospital does not participate in cord blood donation (I actually think it is more to do with the state of Maryland...stupid IMO considering how beneficial cord blood can be - someone should be able to use it).
I also live in Maryland and found this: http://fha.maryland.gov/mch/cord_blood.cfm

I'm guessing that because MD doesn't have any public cord blood banks, many hospitals aren't participating - there is a link to the National Marrow Donor Program and they say that they may be able to help find a bank in another state that will accept the donation.

Me: T (32), DH: M (33); (Miss you mom! 1/17/00)
Trying to learn/prep as much as I can in hopes of someday becoming a WAHM!
#24 of 35 Old 01-21-2010, 07:49 PM

just subbing for more info.

Me and Dh partners.gif, Dd1bouncy.gif  Dd2dust.gif,Ds1joy.gif, 2flowerkitty.gif, 2hamster.jpgand lots of goldfish.gif

#25 of 35 Old 01-21-2010, 09:00 PM

We did it with our first and our doing it with our second. The first time our midwife strongly encouraged it, and after doing our own research we decided it was worth the money for us. But we are super risk averse, so we tend to play things safe in most circumstances. I would just hate to need it down the road and then not have it, y'know? And the science can only get better and better, IMHO.

We use CBR and have found the whole thing extremely easy to do. Oh, and I don't think the cord clamping was delayed with my first, but my midwife this time said that we definitely could, no problem. They made a big point that the baby was the priority and that if he required the blood for whatever reason at birth then the cord blood may or may not get banked (there's a certain time window that it has to be collected). Sounds like the right set of priorities to me.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#26 of 35 Old 01-22-2010, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeta View Post
They made a big point that the baby was the priority and that if he required the blood for whatever reason at birth then the cord blood may or may not get banked (there's a certain time window that it has to be collected). Sounds like the right set of priorities to me.
The perspective that I see this issue from is that the blood is always "needed" by the baby at birth. It is always better that the baby receive a full supply of blood at birth.
Under what circumstances is your midwife saying that baby would demonstrate this need? Does she think most babies are just as well without it?

4 kids under 10
#27 of 35 Old 01-22-2010, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguine_speed View Post
The perspective that I see this issue from is that the blood is always "needed" by the baby at birth. It is always better that the baby receive a full supply of blood at birth.
Under what circumstances is your midwife saying that baby would demonstrate this need? Does she think most babies are just as well without it?
Like I said, my particular midwife does delay cord clamping AND will do cord blood collection after the delay; we're just not doing a lotus style birth or whatever. She said that the circumstances of preventing the cord blood collection were if the baby were having trouble breathing or pinking up or just in any kind of distress whatsoever (mild or otherwise). The issue is timing, I believe. I think she said after 20-25 minutes or so the cord blood is no longer collectible, so it's just a window you have to work with. I personally think you can have the best of both worlds as long as your baby is not in any kind of distress at birth, apgars are normal, etc.

Chessa , mama to Silas T (6/06) , wife to Chad . Welcome August Emerson! 2/8/10
#28 of 35 Old 01-22-2010, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkgreenbean View Post
You must complete all forms prior to your 34th week of pregnancy!! And the qualifying info is pretty basic, if you aren't diseased or newly tatooed, you are good to go basically.
They use mostly the same set of questions that you'll get when you give blood. My set of questions from Lifebank/Celgene (here's a link now that I'm less lazy: http://www.lifebankusa.com/) was a bit more extensive than regular blood donation questions, with some family history stuff in there, but nothing too bad. And we barely squeaked by the deadline - I'm due next month and just got my kit yesterday.

With regard to the time frame for cord clamping, my midwife also mentioned that after a certain point the blood in the cord will clot up, but I think she was saying it's something like 20 minutes from the time the cord stops pulsing, rather than 20 minutes from the birth. She says there should be no problem waiting until the baby has gotten all his/her blood, and then still getting enough to donate. That was our experience last time as well. If we waited and then didn't have enough to donate, that would be too bad, but of course we wouldn't clamp early just to get the blood. And with Lifebank, you can still send in the placenta even if you don't get enough cord blood, I think.
#29 of 35 Old 01-22-2010, 05:59 PM

Oh, one other thing people might like to know - a blood draw is required from the mother as well, to donate. It's a blood bank requirement, because they can't test the cord blood for diseases, because the baby might not have had a chance to develop antibodies yet. So you'd have to put up with a needle stick yourself within some amount of time after giving birth (wouldn't have to be right that second, your blood will keep). That disturbed my midwife a bit, since she feels a bit bad about sticking me when I've just had a baby and might still be bleeding. I don't care, though, I'm used to needles from giving blood. *shrug*

The weird thing was that I can't for the life of me remember that happening after my first birth, when we donated with the same company. Maybe I had other things on my mind, maybe they've changed the requirements since then...
#30 of 35 Old 01-22-2010, 06:54 PM

I'd like to do the public banking. First, we don't really have the money for private banking. Secondly, I like the karma aspect. We try and help someone and if its ever necessary, hope that someone will be there to help us.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page