Fetal Doppler - do you have one? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2010, 03:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I never got one with ds, partly because my OB at the time made fun of them for home use. But now after a m/c and having intermittent spotting with this one, I'm considering them again. The Angelsounds one is pretty inexpensive and has good reviews on Amazon...does anyone have any opinions on it? I'm over 12w along, so hopefully, I should be able to find the hb.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2010, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm doing a rental from dynamic dopplers. I love it! I'm short 5'1 and my uterus pops out of my pelvis at about 8 weeks so I've been able to hear baby since then. If I had to pick again I might spend a bit more per month for one that reads out the bpm.

It's neat once you get a bit further along too, you'll find the baby zipping around from one spot to another!

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

Old 01-26-2010, 04:11 AM

I have had one for my last two pgs...and it has done wonders for my sanity. I got the hibebe doppler and have been able to listen quite early (9-10wks). Once baby is moving often then it doesn't get much use but mostly it is for the in between weeks when I personally feel that my stress and worry over baby is more harmful than a few seconds of doppler exposure.

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

Old 01-26-2010, 11:55 AM

I've got a fetoscope that I love. It can't pick up hb til a bit later into the 2nd tri, so I guess it's not exactly what you're looking for. It's a nice alternative though, for later on.
Old 01-26-2010, 12:07 PM

I never got one with DS though I was a worried wreck since I was spotting and DD was stillborn before him. I did get one this time around because I was spotting and because I was worried about fetal movement. I got this one off ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/3Mhz-FETAL-DOPPL...item3ef986da87

Its very reasonable especially when you look at rental rates. Mine works like a charm. The link I posted is actually a better deal then the actual one I got. I only got 1 tube of the gel and paid a couple of bucks more. The peace of mind my doppler has given me is priceless. I highly recommend getting one and highly recommend the one I am using. Works like a charm, even for someone thats never used a doppler before.

BFPChart2.gif

Old 01-26-2010, 01:28 PM

I just got mine yesterday from eBay. (And I heard the heartbeat last night at 9 weeks!)

I had bought a fake, Babies-R-Us, type one with DS1 or DS2--but it never worked. Horrible.

This one was $71.00 and free shipping. Came w/ a sample of u/s gel too.

Looks like this, but it was a different seller/price.
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-3-MHz-PRENAT...item27abab7f66

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Old 01-26-2010, 01:37 PM

i have the same one as umsami and i LOVE it. i can't imagine having gone through this pregnancy without it.

mom to Andrew   born Feb 6th, already a mom to child with fur; and still missing and still wondering about the lost possibilities Mar 17, 2009
Old 01-26-2010, 01:47 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Old 01-26-2010, 01:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post
I'm pretty sure the AngelSounds one is NOT a doppler. It's an amplifier. In other words, you're more likely to hear the cars coming down the road a few blocks away than you are the baby's heartbeat. That's why it's cheap. I had one with DD1. Rip...OFF.

I rented one from online with DD2, once during early pregnancy and once at the end for use during labor (never did use it though) since we UP/UC. This time instead of renting again I just decided to buy one. I found it on FSOT for $80 brand new! It's the HiBebe 200 one. It's a great doppler! I've been very pleased.
It has such good reviews though. Too bad. I guess I'll look at getting a more expensive one. I only need one until the baby starts kicking. After that, I become calm
Old 01-26-2010, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1babysmom View Post
I'm pretty sure the AngelSounds one is NOT a doppler. It's an amplifier. In other words, you're more likely to hear the cars coming down the road a few blocks away than you are the baby's heartbeat. That's why it's cheap. I had one with DD1. Rip...OFF.
Yeah, I had one just like that with DS... it was horrible.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:39 PM

I have one like the Angelsounds one - and it is not a doppler. Which is exactly why I have it. You can't hear the heartbeat until about 20-25 weeks of pregnancy (with my son it was 20 - with this one it was 25). It's not horrible. Once you can hear it - its fantastic (of course, you can also feel the baby move by then, but its still fantastic). And unlike dopplers, you can get recordings of it as there is computer hookup that comes with them. So you can email the sounds or put them on a CD and give to the grandparents (they loved that! lol), etc.

We do not have a doppler and I would not use one. I have not had one used at all during this pregnancy and don't plan on it! My MW uses a pinard. Dopplers are not risk free and I feel they are much more dangerous than benefitial. I am not the only one who thinks this (many articles on this - heres just one). A doppler 'may' ease your mind (and this is a very personal thing - I have had five miscarriages myself before this one stuck) - but they will not prevent the loss of a baby...what will be will be. For me, I didn't want to take the unnessary possible risk of a doppler over just being patient and letting my body do what it was going to do either way anyhow.

It is, of course, your choice. A doppler won't change anything though - and could potentially cause damage instead. Not many people know this/are aware of these potential dangers - which is the only reason I bring it up now. (this is mdc after all! lol)

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Old 01-26-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post
And unlike dopplers, you can get recordings of it as there is computer hookup that comes with them. So you can email the sounds or put them on a CD and give to the grandparents (they loved that! lol), etc.
My doppler can hook up to my computer and record.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 01-26-2010, 04:04 PM

No, I've never had one, and to be honest I don't know a soul in real life that has had one.

4 kids under 10
Old 01-26-2010, 04:16 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

Old 01-26-2010, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann_of_loxley View Post

We do not have a doppler and I would not use one. I have not had one used at all during this pregnancy and don't plan on it! My MW uses a pinard. Dopplers are not risk free and I feel they are much more dangerous than benefitial. I am not the only one who thinks this (many articles on this - heres just one). A doppler 'may' ease your mind (and this is a very personal thing - I have had five miscarriages myself before this one stuck) - but they will not prevent the loss of a baby...what will be will be. For me, I didn't want to take the unnessary possible risk of a doppler over just being patient and letting my body do what it was going to do either way anyhow.

It is, of course, your choice. A doppler won't change anything though - and could potentially cause damage instead. Not many people know this/are aware of these potential dangers - which is the only reason I bring it up now. (this is mdc after all! lol)

I don't even like the 9 or 10 times throughout the course of pregnancy that my OB uses the doppler to check the heartbeat at appointments. I wouldn't ever want to expose the baby to ultrasound all the time.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

Old 01-26-2010, 09:07 PM

I've been considering getting one since I miscarried last August and I'm starting to go crazy waiting until I can get in to my midwife at 12w5d. I don't like to get a lot of ultrasound exposure, but I'm thinking like you Cindy, that my mounting stress can't be good for the baby either! Thanks for the ebay links, ladies.

Danielle, 29, wife to Manuel, mom to Ariana (6), Ivy (4), and one , expecting again! EDD 8/29
Old 01-26-2010, 09:41 PM

i bought one when i was pregnant with DS after a miscarriage .. I didn't buy it until i was 11/12 weeks last time and this time i am having a horrible time convincing myself to wait to try it.. (i'll be 7 weeks tomorrow, my goal is to not even charge the battery for another week.. we'll see if i can get there)

i'd like to wait long enough that i will actually have a good chance at finding the heartbeat, then i limit checking to less than once a week.. with DS i think i probably used it 5 times in early pregnancy and once at the end (just to check the batteries before i wanted to use it during labor, which i never actually ended up doing) .. i am skipping the early u/s this time and that is hard enough for me. if i could just hear the heartbeat once i would feel so much better..

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
Old 01-26-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etsdtm99 View Post
if i could just hear the heartbeat once i would feel so much better..
That's TOTALLY where i am right now...I just need to hear that heartbeat so I can relax!

Danielle, 29, wife to Manuel, mom to Ariana (6), Ivy (4), and one , expecting again! EDD 8/29
Old 01-26-2010, 11:57 PM

I have to add that I discussed the use of a Doppler with my midwife and found that she did extensive research about them. She found that they are safe. While I appreciate the concerns about their safety I think it's a bit of fear mongering given that they aren't proven to be unsafe and their use is so commonplace in most pregnancies. It's not comparable to serial ultrasound (which also have their place in obstetrical care).

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

Old 01-27-2010, 12:50 AM

I have one. I did IVF to have my son Jack and it gave me piece of mind considering all we went through to conceive him and then having a disappearing twin...I was terrified of losing him too in the beginning. Then with Liam, I bled alot duing my 8th and 10th weeks and it freaked me out...the doppler put my mind at ease when I felt like I was going crazy with fear. I am newly PG with #3 and I plan on using the doppler with this baby too when I need to reassure myself all is okay...

I bought one from babybeat.com At first I rent it...but then I decided to just outright buy it. I was able to hear Jack's HB at 8-9w and Liams by 10w. The one I have records HB too.

Mama to Jack (12/7/06) & Liam (4/3/08) & Iris Hope (10/6/10)
Old 01-27-2010, 01:08 AM

After a m/c where I had pg symptoms for weeks before and after finding out there was no heartbeat...I needed the peace of mind when I got pg again. I have a Hi Bebe and love it. The first pg after the m/c I used it extensively until I could feel the baby moving. This second pg I have only used it a few times. I know there are mixed reviews about the safety but I knew my anxiety was bad, too....I used to say that one minute of doppler had to be better than bathing my baby's developing brain in cortisol all the time!

I have had friends that have run over to check with it if they are feeling nervous, too.

Single HB mama to 2!
Old 01-27-2010, 01:42 AM

I'm going to rent one for month 9 of this pregnancy - we're birthing at a birth center over an hour away and while I don't want to rush there, I want some peace of mind that the baby is tolerating labor well, hence the doppler.

Mom to Morgan 4-3-06 and announcing Baby Kelsey 4-11-10
Old 01-27-2010, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunfish21 View Post
After a m/c where I had pg symptoms for weeks before and after finding out there was no heartbeat...I needed the peace of mind when I got pg again. I have a Hi Bebe and love it. The first pg after the m/c I used it extensively until I could feel the baby moving. This second pg I have only used it a few times. I know there are mixed reviews about the safety but I knew my anxiety was bad, too....I used to say that one minute of doppler had to be better than bathing my baby's developing brain in cortisol all the time!

I have had friends that have run over to check with it if they are feeling nervous, too.
Yup, with my last m/c, I didn't have a lot of pg symptoms, but the worst nausea was when the baby had already stopped growing and died, but I didn't know it yet...it really reassured me at the time. So this time, I get very nervous. I'm a worrier by nature.
Old 01-27-2010, 10:41 AM

I have the Angelsounds, and I liked it. I think I was able to hear the HB at about 14 weeks. It was helpful for me cause I didn't really start feeling movement until the 3rd trimester (cause of an anterior placenta), so I would've gone crazy without it!

User Tag List