Pregnancy with Umbilical Hernia? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 01-26-2010, 09:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm hoping someone out there can share their experience and possible suggestions for this. After my last pregnancy, I have a wide diastasis (widening of the linea alba, the tissue that connects the abs in the middle) and a distinct bulge right above my navel.

It became painful right at 20 weeks last time, but this time, (9wks) I'm showing early and it is already hurting, and I can feel something protruding distinctly in this same place.

I'd been working with a pilates trainer for a couple years before this pregnancy, to strengthen the muscles in the area, and even without the pregnancy, if I let up on the pilates at all, it became painful again.

Has anyone dealt with this? Is there anything I can do to make this less uncomfortable? I'm still choosing a HB midwife, but I'm wondering if I need to see an OB for this? What kind of care provider, or practical measures could I try?

Wife to Bear - Mom to DS 7, gifted with SPD and DD 2, a Joybunny!
#2 of 4 Old 01-26-2010, 11:52 PM

I have a wide diastasis too, although I don't have an umbilical hernia. I do have two hernias on each side of my belly. The hernias came from my first pg (twins), so they were there during my last pg, and they really didn't cause any problems. They were painful at times, especially if they got poked at all, or if I leaned over to pick something up or turned too quickly. Yesterday I had an u/s, and it was painful when the tech would press on those areas, but the good thing is that I didn't notice them during actual labor or delivery.
For the diastasis, I think you're definitely doing the right thing with the pilates. I'm actually a pilates instructor, so I know that is the only thing that I've found that "fixes" the problem. I notice now, though, that when I am lying down or reclining and have to sit up, I get that nice ridge popping up down the middle of my belly, no matter how much I contract my transverse abdominus! I guess there's no getting around that.
Is there some kind of abdominal support belt that you could wear to keep your hernia from popping out? I would think that your midwife would know best whether or not you should see an OB. Good luck!

Gayle, mom to Reagan and Ryan, 09/15/03, Cade, 12/08/05 and sweet Josiah, 05/23/10-07/16/10
#3 of 4 Old 01-27-2010, 04:21 AM

My umbilical hernia appeared after my second and worsened after my third pg...lots of weight gain and carrying my 2yo around on and off the bus, etc. That being said, I've always had an 'outie' which can sometimes predispose from what I understand. I do have separated abdominal muscles but I find that yoga and other upright exercises (like martial arts) really strengthened those areas and reduced the issues 100fold, and the hernia seemed much less prominent also. Any lying down exercises such as sit ups or push ups can seriously put pressure on the area and make it MUCH worse. When you go to sit up, try to roll to your side first and that will put less strain on the area as well. I also had luck after pg to take Sepia 30c once a month (homeopathic remedy) to increase the muscle tone and it definitely reduced the appearance of the hernia also.

I found that in early pg it really bothered me the most, because your intestines are right there and often bloated, etc. Once my belly moves up and pushes the intestines up out of the way, the hernia hurts much less.

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

#4 of 4 Old 01-30-2010, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Mamas, it's reassuring to hear your experiences. I hope I do notice it less once the fundal height gets up there past it...and I need to remember to roll to my side to sit up. I had gotten used to being stronger from all the pilates, and had forgotten to sit up correctly.

And I had the sepia recommended last pg, and I'll talk to my homeopath about it again this time.

Wife to Bear - Mom to DS 7, gifted with SPD and DD 2, a Joybunny!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page