Measuring Large for Dates? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 01-26-2010, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wanted to cast a wider net than just my DDC....
I had a midwife visit this morning and my fundal height is 4 cm above where it should be, and I have gained 11 pounds in the five weeks since my previous visit (I weighed twice b/c I couldn't believe my eyes). We just had an ultrasound last Friday, and everything looked fine, baby was just a bit big, but only by a few days, nothing significant. My midwife isn't worried yet. And she checked my chart from DS and I am only one pound heavier than at the same point in that pregnancy.

Have other moms experienced this? From what I found on Google, it might mean nothing, or it could mean something. All of my test results have been normal and we did the glucose challenge test today, and we'll have the results soon.

I am just curious for those of you who have measured ahead, if it ended up being anything more than just a large baby?

Thanks for your input!

Home water birthing, non-circing, delayed vaxing, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing Mommy to DS1 5/08, DS2 5/10 and wife to sweetest hubby ever.
#2 of 12 Old 01-26-2010, 05:32 PM

Fundal height can vary (the variance is actually around 4 weeks... aka 4 cm) depending on a lot of factors. Its not an exact science... if you know the baby is healthy and that there is only one in there, I see no reason to worry at all

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 12 Old 01-26-2010, 08:32 PM

Akso babies tend to grow in spurts - so the weight gain might just be a big growth spurt too - I gained 7 lbs one month and ended up with a normal size baby. I gained 27 overall fwiw - so it was a big gain!

Rachel, knit.gifwifey to 2twins.gif (3/06), tandem nursing mama toenergy.gif(7/08) & babyboy.gif (4/11) and missing brokenheart.gif (7/09, 2/10, 7/10) 
#4 of 12 Old 01-26-2010, 08:44 PM

baby's position can also cause variations in fundal height.. while my Ds was breech (until 35 weeks) i always measured ahead.. once he turned head down, i measured 'right on'

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#5 of 12 Old 01-26-2010, 08:45 PM

At 37 weeks, I was measuring about 40 cm, so they ordered an u/s for the next week's appointment. The main concern was fluid levels, and all turned out fine; baby is a bit bigger than my other two, but they were smaller (6lb6oz and 6lb8oz at birth). I am now at 39.5 weeks and measuring still between 40-41 cm. I think part of it may be due to the positioning of the baby, as mine has now dropped quite a bit. I think labor is imminent in the next 2-3 days for me (at least I hope so!!! ). So here is one mama where it turned out to be nothing to be concerned about.

Jill stillheart.gif Chris (7/96), mommy to 3 sweet redheads: jumpers.gif Matthew autismribbon.gif (12/02), Michelle (8/05) and Marissa (1/10). Nursing since 2002.
#6 of 12 Old 01-26-2010, 09:38 PM - Thread Starter

I guess I won't worry unless my GC test comes back bad. He's not breech... maybe he will just be bigger than DS, who was 8.5 lbs. I'd better work on my Hypnobirthing exercises!

Home water birthing, non-circing, delayed vaxing, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing Mommy to DS1 5/08, DS2 5/10 and wife to sweetest hubby ever.
#7 of 12 Old 01-26-2010, 10:32 PM

I'm measuring at 17 weeks and I'm 14 weeks pregnant. Kiddo is measuring at 14 weeks. Just have a big uterus!

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#8 of 12 Old 02-08-2010, 03:25 PM

With DD she measured large from about 26 weeks or so. By 32 weeks she was measureing about 3 or 4cm 'over' so I was sent for an u/s. They decided at 35 weeks that she was already 8.5lbs and was going to be enormous. I had to have a consult with an OB who palpated and thought she was "huge".

Long story short, but I ended up with a C section instead of our homebirth (not size related) and as they pulled her out at 38 weeks they exclaimed "wow! She's really big!".

She was 7lbs 13oz. So much for 'huge'. Ignore the measurements unless it's excess amniotic fluid or something else.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#9 of 12 Old 02-08-2010, 03:46 PM

I'm another one who measures way over...even moreso this time (I'm guessing since it is my first boy!). 4-6 weeks is normal for me and then things even out when I'm closer to term.

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

#10 of 12 Old 02-08-2010, 03:48 PM

I measured big with my second two pregnancies - at one point, I was measuring 6-8 ahead by fundal height!! I did have GD with both pregnancies, and had slightly higher amniotic levels with DD #2. Both girls measured a few weeks ahead on u/s at various points (I had a number of later term u/s for both girls, for different reasons). All that and I ended up with a 7' 13" 38 weeker and a 7' 2" 37 weeker. Had they gone to term, they probably still would have been pretty average sized babies. So yes, it can be something, or it can be nothing. Hopefully, it's nothing for you!

DH 8.31.02 DD #1 1.14.03 DD #2 7.26.05 DD #3 12.7.07
#11 of 12 Old 02-08-2010, 05:54 PM

I measured 3-4 ahead with DD and she ended up being 8# 6oz. Pretty average IMHO. My MWs were concerned about her size and did a u/s around 39 weeks to estimate size. She looked pretty average on the u/s, but they did determine that my amniotic fluid was on the high end of normal, which is probably why I measured ahead. I still remember when my water broke during labor... it was like Niagra Falls!

This time I am measuring ahead (again). I was right-on at my 18 week appt., but measuring 5 ahead at my 25 week appt. I'm not too concerned. It's just the way I grow babies.

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10
#12 of 12 Old 02-09-2010, 02:49 AM

With all of my babes I have measured big. This one's a record- the fundus was at my belly button at 9 weeks. I have never had GD. I do have big babes, but in my opinion, fat squishes so my chubby babies don't cause problems in birth.

My midwife is good about assessing the overall size of the uterus, not just the height. Evidently previous scar tissue, position of your hips and I'm sure other factors can make the uterus kind of float. So as long as it's a big as it should be, I wouldn't worry where it is sitting in your abdominal cavity.

As for weight gain, mine always goes in spurts... a couple weeks of none, a month with 9 lbs...

Veggie, babywearing, cloth diapering, lactivist, intactivist, 2x HBAC, non-vaccing nurse and doula, wife of my babies' sweet Dada, Momma of 3 with another coming mid summer.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page