Anyone planning on postpartum belly binding? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 48 Old 01-29-2010, 03:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i am getting one of these:
http://karenyiau.com/happyconfinement/

it is $30 with shipping. i tried using more of the "girdle" types after DD was born by it dug into my stomach and was just uncomfortable. i am really looking forward to this one as it covers a much larger area and is more adjustable. i also like that it does my ribs since my kids seem to play in my ribcage while pregnant. and that it does my hips because i have really loose hips. i have high hopes for this one (i found it through a recommendation by another mama here at mothering...)

Legal Mama to TWO homebirthed, unschooled, unvaxed, cloth diapered, mei tei loving, still breastfeeding baby girl 1/14/07 and an intact 8 pound 10 ouncer baby boy 4/5/10.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 of 48 Old 01-29-2010, 12:17 PM

Oh dear, I'd squish out of all the diamond shapes!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#33 of 48 Old 01-30-2010, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slsurface View Post
PreggieUBA2C, thanks for all the info. I'm dealing with some severe prolapse this time around and was curious about possible ways of healing from it.
My recovery involved a lot of systems being healed, including the journey I'm still on for four years now for my thyroid and adrenal glands. With insufficient adrenals, the elastic in all of my joints was absent, so they were not supporting me, which contributed to the prolapse for sure. Then I needed a lot more vitamin C and minerals than I was eating, so I began a super-saturation nutritional and supplementation program. I stopped sitting and kept squatting which was only marginally comfortable at first because I had no squatting burrs in my feet initially. I also began to use the toilet in this position, so that for a few years, I didn't 'sit' at all. All of this combined brought my pelvic floor into proper position. None of it was easy. I was chronically ill for many years and this was just one of the symptoms, that thankfully, is in the past, and this pg was a sure test of that healing. I am overjoyed to report that even with pg, my pelvic floor, uterus, etc... has stayed high and in its place!

I think pelvic prolapse is a symptom, so to heal it, you have to figure out why it's happened, and not just the last straw event, like childbirth, but why your body wasn't and isn't presently able to replace itself. It is missing something it needs to do this work. For me, it was a depletion of nutrients and endocrine issues that prevented my body from holding itself together. My c/s's were its last straw event.

I hope you can heal your pelvis. I know how awful it is to walk around feeling like my insides are falling out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juvysen View Post
I also have some mild SPD issues and have been advised against much squatting because it can make it worse. GAH!
I had that too with my first pg and second as well. I didn't do any squatting then, but after ds3 was born, I began to put together the puzzle I described in short above. There was no way that I would be putting weight on loose pelvic bones and tissues at that point. I'd have ended up in a bed if I had. I began the nutritional stuff first and when my body was strong enough, then I began the physical rehabilitation.

All this said, I do think I may use a band to support my preggie belly once it is really big. Of course at that point, it's really back support if anything, for me at least.

Well, I've been absent for 8 months, and during that time, it turns out that I have completely transformed. You are all precious. Thank you for being here and sharing your lives. You are truly a gift. namaste.gif Jan. 23, 2012

#34 of 48 Old 01-30-2010, 02:42 AM

Yeah I'm definitely gonna try it. I already love any kind of girdle or belly band or anything that gives me support around my middle/belly area. I can only imagine how much more I'm gonna need something like this after the baby is born.

caffix.gif
#35 of 48 Old 01-30-2010, 03:40 AM

I think I'm in! My poor belly is still so poochy and saggy from my first DS that I imagine I'll need all the help I can get this time around!

Me my DH 4.5 year old DS and who just arrived on the scene 6/10 Excited to be blogging! Decluttering in 2010: 2010 / 2010
#36 of 48 Old 01-30-2010, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurve View Post
i am getting one of these:
http://karenyiau.com/happyconfinement/

I'd love to hear how it goes for you. It seems to me like it would be really difficult to go to the bathroom in. I guess you'd have to redo it everytime? And what about walking? Although, they do say for confinement, so maybe you're meant to really just take it easy the first few weeks, which I know is best anyway.

I am learning so much here!

And, the hip slimmer looks interesting but there is no way I'm paying that much!!!
#37 of 48 Old 01-30-2010, 05:15 AM

I had one after my c/s like the first one posted. I forgot to take it with me when I was discharged though .

Do they work if you have a squishy belly before getting pregnant?

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#38 of 48 Old 01-30-2010, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonglowmama View Post
I'd love to hear how it goes for you. It seems to me like it would be really difficult to go to the bathroom in. I guess you'd have to redo it everytime? And what about walking? Although, they do say for confinement, so maybe you're meant to really just take it easy the first few weeks, which I know is best anyway.

I am learning so much here!

And, the hip slimmer looks interesting but there is no way I'm paying that much!!!
I read one review on a blog that recommended just wearing your underwear over the binder, which is what i plan on doing. not that aesthetically appealling but i must say i don't think i will be at my sexiest anyway!

Legal Mama to TWO homebirthed, unschooled, unvaxed, cloth diapered, mei tei loving, still breastfeeding baby girl 1/14/07 and an intact 8 pound 10 ouncer baby boy 4/5/10.
#39 of 48 Old 01-30-2010, 02:29 PM

I do it and it works really well. The first few days I used an old sheet ripped and wrapped around my belly super tight (like, til I couldn't breathe lol.) After the initial "prego" belly was gone I switched to an ace bandage which I wore for about 2 months. I still kind of have (had?) a gut but it really helped me get back to a normal shape.

I will do the same thing this time.

Very blessed mama to one bouncin' boy bouncy.gif (12/07) one angel3.gif who didn't get to stay (6/09), one potty learning, mess making divaenergy.gif(4/10), and one cheerful milk monster. aabfwoman.gif (12/11) Happy partner to the love of my lifedp_malesling.GIF.  

#40 of 48 Old 01-31-2010, 12:30 AM

i'm wanting to try this for baby #3.

here's one that is for the tummy, hips, buns and thighs:

http://www.mom4life.com/catalog.php?item=1845
but i wonder if it would be too hot and make it difficult to change postpartum pads.

that website has several different belly binders and hip binders.

i'll probably go with the baboosh baby one or something similar and maybe the hip slimmer if i can afford it.

Chelsea, Christian, Wife to Trey, Mommy to Oliver (11/3/2005), Abner (5/01/2008) and Baby #3 ( Due 9/27/2010)
#41 of 48 Old 01-31-2010, 01:13 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreggieUBA2C View Post
My recovery involved a lot of systems being healed, including the journey I'm still on for four years now for my thyroid and adrenal glands. With insufficient adrenals, the elastic in all of my joints was absent, so they were not supporting me, which contributed to the prolapse for sure. Then I needed a lot more vitamin C and minerals than I was eating, so I began a super-saturation nutritional and supplementation program. I stopped sitting and kept squatting which was only marginally comfortable at first because I had no squatting burrs in my feet initially. I also began to use the toilet in this position, so that for a few years, I didn't 'sit' at all. All of this combined brought my pelvic floor into proper position. None of it was easy. I was chronically ill for many years and this was just one of the symptoms, that thankfully, is in the past, and this pg was a sure test of that healing. I am overjoyed to report that even with pg, my pelvic floor, uterus, etc... has stayed high and in its place!

I think pelvic prolapse is a symptom, so to heal it, you have to figure out why it's happened, and not just the last straw event, like childbirth, but why your body wasn't and isn't presently able to replace itself. It is missing something it needs to do this work. For me, it was a depletion of nutrients and endocrine issues that prevented my body from holding itself together. My c/s's were its last straw event.

I hope you can heal your pelvis. I know how awful it is to walk around feeling like my insides are falling out.

I had that too with my first pg and second as well. I didn't do any squatting then, but after ds3 was born, I began to put together the puzzle I described in short above. There was no way that I would be putting weight on loose pelvic bones and tissues at that point. I'd have ended up in a bed if I had. I began the nutritional stuff first and when my body was strong enough, then I began the physical rehabilitation.

All this said, I do think I may use a band to support my preggie belly once it is really big. Of course at that point, it's really back support if anything, for me at least.
Would you mind talking a bit about how you figured out which minerals/vitamins you were low on? I feel like my second pregnancy took a lot out of me (my first two are 18 months apart, and i ate like crap the second time), so I'd be very interested to know how to figure out what I need to fill that back out.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#42 of 48 Old 01-31-2010, 03:30 AM

Question. Is there a fundamental difference between some of these wraps I've seen in the thread and a regular girdle? I'm slightly overweight and carry most of it in my belly even before I was pregnant, so I understand the squishy feeling. I've been wearing a pretty tight girdle for a couple of years just for comfort and so I'll look better in my clothes. (Also it seems to relieve some lower back pain I started getting when I turned 25).

Here's what it looks like: "Waist-Nipper" Undergarment

I wore these all the time till I was about 10 weeks pregant and started showing, then switched to the more flexible Belly Band. So do y'all think something like this would work as a post-partum belly wrap?

caffix.gif
#43 of 48 Old 01-31-2010, 12:35 PM

Other than medical, is there really a reason to wear these? I am really not trying to be incendiary (I promise!!) or critical, but they seem really hot and uncomfortable. I like the idea of feeling supported after birth, but my EDD is August 27th in the deep south, and I cannot fathom this being comfortable at all!!

Continuing to read with lots of interest, though...

HoneyFern

The Blog

Never let your schooling interfere with your education. ~Mark Twain~

#44 of 48 Old 01-31-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzannah View Post
Other than medical, is there really a reason to wear these? I am really not trying to be incendiary (I promise!!) or critical, but they seem really hot and uncomfortable. I like the idea of feeling supported after birth, but my EDD is August 27th in the deep south, and I cannot fathom this being comfortable at all!!

Continuing to read with lots of interest, though...
It's definitely a to each his own, of course! I delivered both my babes in Florida in May and August, and I still found it comfy to wear. But, like I posted, I had c-sections, and it made my incision feel more protected and I liked my abdomen feeling supported. I never really got too hot. But that is likely because I didn't take my newborns out in the heat during the hottest parts of the day much anyway, so I was usually in air conditioning.

Catherine and B stillheart.gif DS1 (6) biggrinbounce.gif DD (4) loveeyes.gif DS2 (1) drool.gif and expecting #4 shamrocksmile.gif on March 17, 2014.  
#45 of 48 Old 01-31-2010, 06:11 PM

Me (27) DH (30)...9 Years

DD (7) ~ DD (4) ~ DS (3)

Praying our April 2013 baby sticks!! joy.gif

Babies in Heaven...angel.gif 9/04 angel.gif 2/05 angel.gif 3/11 angel.gif 4/11 angel.gif 6/11 angel.gif 11/11 angel.gif 2/12 (along with my tube greensad.gif )

#46 of 48 Old 09-24-2012, 01:32 PM

Bumping this for reading material later on.

Tiffany love.gif , wife to DH geek.gif, mom of DD1 10/09 energy.gif, DD2 4/12/13 baby.gif, and two dog2.gif
#47 of 48 Old 09-24-2012, 02:33 PM

I'm glad this was bumped.  I was wondering of the use of the binders after a c/s.  I have used two belly bands at a time after my previous sections but I was wondering if an actual wrap (the kind with velcro)  would help even more.  I am concerned about them being too stiff and hurting against the incision when I am in a sitting position.  Can anyone share some experience with that?

Becky- Wife to DH, Mama to "Nani" (July '08) "Coco" (July '10) and expecting one very wiggly baby boy in May 2013!

#48 of 48 Old 09-24-2012, 03:46 PM

I'm planning on doing it. I'm also going to get a hip shrinker thingy. I didn't do it with DD because I didn't want to spend $50+ on one, but this is my last baby and the last chance to take advantage of those relaxin hormones!

reading.gif <--Me, IronMammaries  mischievous.gif <--Med-student DPenergy.gif<--DD (12/08) &  baby.gif <--DS 4/13

1**pos.gif5***heartbeat.gif10****15**B*20***25***30***35**** stork-boy.gif

.....BFP.........HB Heard.........BOY!......................................... 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page