books to prepare older siblings - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-27-2010, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Our third baby is on the way and I can't remember what children's books we read together to prepare sibling #1 several years ago. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA!!
#2 of 9 Old 01-27-2010, 09:27 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Just wondering what age is 'older' for you? My DSD is 11 and I couldn't really find anything for her But when I was looking I found several recommendations for ages 4 - 5.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#3 of 9 Old 01-28-2010, 12:00 AM

"I'm a Big Brother" and "I'm a Big Sister" are standards, but they're good.

A Teeny Tiny Baby is a good one (http://www.amazon.com/Teeny-Tiny-Bab...4647493&sr=8-1) that shows attachment parenting of a baby, but doesn't really talk about siblings much. I thought it was really helpful, though, because it describes what a baby needs and prepares siblings for that.

Everywhere Babies by marla Frazee is beautiful, but is also mostly about babies and not about siblings. I like it because it talks about AP and shows many different types of families...adoptive, same sex, etc.

Ginger by Charlotte Voake is about two cats, a kitten and an older cat, and it translates well to the jealousy an older child might feel, as well as feelings of being sad or having your "turf" invaded. Of course in the end the cats get along...but it's nice because the main character is a young girl, and it's easy to talk about feelings through her.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#4 of 9 Old 01-28-2010, 12:04 AM

Dr Sears book "Baby On the Way" is nice IMO because it skips the sexual reproduction stuff and just talks about how mama is feeling, preparing for the baby, and what will happen when the baby comes home. It's pretty simple, so an older child might not get as much out of it, but I liked it for my preschooler. I'm planning to answer questions about how the baby got in there if she asks, but I didn't like that all the other books I looked at had the sex stuff. That's a separate conversation.

Co-sleeping, Breastfeeding, EC'ing, Baby-wearing, Homebirthing mama to two fabulous girls 6/2007 and 8/2010
#5 of 9 Old 01-28-2010, 12:13 AM

We've got a bunch out of the library for DS who is nearly 3. His favourites are waiting for baby, my new baby and hello baby. We also have the Dr Sears one which is good but not as appealing to him for some reason. I think it is good for slightly older children, maybe 5 or 6. All the books show the mother nursing the new baby which I like.
#6 of 9 Old 01-28-2010, 03:54 AM

Anyone have any good book suggestions for a 3 yr old which uses the language of the baby being in "mama's" body (not mommy) and not alluding to a dad? Tough to come by I'm sure, but we're a two mom family and it would sure be nice to be able to find that in a book.

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#7 of 9 Old 01-28-2010, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megan sacha View Post
Anyone have any good book suggestions for a 3 yr old which uses the language of the baby being in "mama's" body (not mommy) and not alluding to a dad? Tough to come by I'm sure, but we're a two mom family and it would sure be nice to be able to find that in a book.
Im not sure which words they use for the one who is going to be carrying the pregnancy, but if its backwards... you can just put a bit of white tape over the names and switch them around.

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Makes-4-J...684488&sr=1-12

At least since the pictures include a mommy and a mama, it wouldn't be so confusing.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#8 of 9 Old 01-28-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
Im not sure which words they use for the one who is going to be carrying the pregnancy, but if its backwards... you can just put a bit of white tape over the names and switch them around.

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Makes-4-J...684488&sr=1-12

At least since the pictures include a mommy and a mama, it wouldn't be so confusing.
Thanks so much, I hadn't heard of this one!

Megan-39, Postpartum Doula, DW to Sacha-40 (18 years together) and Mama to Finn Alexander born 4/2/07 and Zivia Littlewood born 8/23/10

#9 of 9 Old 01-28-2010, 01:01 PM

DD is five-and-a-half and we got her Why Do We Need Another Baby? The only thing I don't like about it is that it calls the uterus the "womb" which is a personal hang up that probably sounds silly to everyone else. lol But really, they only refer to the womb maybe 4 times anyway. It doesn't go over the sexual aspects of how the baby came to be there, but it is MUCH better for kids her age than the other books for siblings that I've seen. It's longer, it doesn't consist of just one or two sentences per page and it's not geared towards 2 or 3-year-olds like most of them seem to be. You said "several years" so I'm assuming that maybe you're also looking for something for kids who are a little past that stage.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page