Follow-up u/s = more bad news - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 03:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi everyone,
I posted a week ago about my first u/s where they thought there might be something wrong with the baby's cerebellum.
I had my follow-up today where they did a really detailed scan of everything, and there were several problems that showed up.
Some of the connections between the two halves of the cerebellum are not right or missing (they mentioned something called Dandy Walker?).
Something isn't right in the baby's heart--some calcifications (not sure what that really indicates to them).
Something may be wrong with at least one of his hands. I could see that it didn't look quite right, but I'm not exactly sure of the specifics.
They also thought something might not look right with his feet--something about the space between his big toe and the other toes, although I did see his feet myself and thought they looked normal. My DD has long, wide-spread toes. We've always commented on it, and she's normal, so I'm not putting much stock in that specifically.
So now my option is to do an amnio, which we are leaning away from at this moment. As far as I know, there isn't anything that it would tell them that would enable them to fix anything, and I can't think of anything that we would do differently depending on what we found out. So I have to call them back and tell them that.
We go back in a week or two for an echocardiogram for the baby and will go back sometime for another brain scan and to talk with some pediatric neurologist.
I will probably not be able to deliver at the midwifery center where I am currently a patient and will have to deliver at the hospital that is next to the children's hospital. I delivered my twins there and was able to have a nice, drug-free delivery, despite the clinical atmosphere, so that should still be the case.
I'm just feeling very, very overwhelmed with all the information that I was given and just trying to trust in God and remember that the baby is in his hands. This just isn't anything we were expecting to hear today.

Gayle, mom to Reagan and Ryan, 09/15/03, Cade, 12/08/05 and sweet Josiah, 05/23/10-07/16/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 03:55 PM

I haven't ever had to experience anything like this, so I can only imagine what you are feeling, and I am so sorry. I was reading about that syndrome, and it doens't look hopeless, but it has to be earth shattering to you to hear that your beautiful baby is going to have problems. I'll keep you, baby and family in my prayers.

Wife to one : Mama to 4 Gramma to 1 :
#3 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 04:01 PM

I'm sorry you are facing all of this. Prayers for you and your family.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#4 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 04:03 PM

I'm sorry to hear that. It must be so stressful right now.
#5 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 04:20 PM

This is a LOT to deal with... feeling overwhelmed seems totally appropriate. Try to give yourself time and space to feel those big feelings... and most of all give yourself plenty of compassion. Lots of virtual hugs coming your way...

Chai, DS (3/05) and DS (2/10)
#6 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 04:40 PM

Love and prayers go out to you.
#7 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 05:22 PM

I couldnt read and not post a reply. First off hugs to you mama. Im so sorry you got this news and have this added stress. Ive never heard of that condition but did a quick google search and found this link you may find helpful:

http://www.specialchild.com/archives/dz-021.html

Hope you find some comfort.

BFPChart2.gif

#8 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 06:08 PM

your family and your little baby are in our prayers. Hope to see some happy updates from you in the future, sorry that you are dealing with this

Mom to Lizzy born May 2007 & expecting Baby#2 June/July 2010
#9 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 06:08 PM

s I remember the days of the u/s that showed our twin boys had problems. You're at one of the very toughest times right now, and though I'm sure it feels like it might not ever get easier--IT DOES. My boys were born with a genetic condition called tuberous sclerosis...they noticed it in one of the later u/s anatomy scans and it showed as problems with their hearts.

It hasn't been an easy road, both were very disabled (but able to walk, cuddle, nurse, and do lots of normal things too)...but they are/were sweethearts, too.

The special needs forum here is filled with incredible, incredible ladies who have kids with all different levels of needs or concerns. It's a great place to go if you need people to lean on, or people who understand how uncertain this time is for you.

All my best to you. Take it one day at a time.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#10 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 06:23 PM

There are so many woman who can support you here.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#11 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 08:32 PM

So sorry you have to deal with this. I don't have any experience or advice for you. I just wanted to give you a

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#12 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 09:34 PM

I know how you feel. That first week after we found out about the omphalocele was R.O.U.G.H.

I find that information is key for me. I want to know everything I can. We're meeting with a whole team at Children's next month, so we can have everything in place.

If you need to talk, PM me.

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#13 of 14 Old 01-29-2010, 09:41 PM

Samanthawild.gif mama to 5 joy.gif                                                         

#14 of 14 Old 01-30-2010, 02:37 AM

My friends son was born missing the part in his brain that enables information to be transmitted from one side to the other, and a large brain cist. She was told he'd have all sorts of problems but he didnt know that! He is an active, cheeky little two year old who has met all his milestones. I just wanted to let you know that there is always hope.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page