Can you get a mammogram while pregnant? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 01-31-2010, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 39 and had one when I was almost 35, but I would really like to have another one done as so many people I know have been diagnosed with breast cancer over the past 5 years. But I'm breastfeeding (and actually pregnant again) and was thinking that I don't even know if I could get a mammogram while pregnant and breastfeeding... can anyone enlighten me? Thanks!

Heather (40) DH (41) Georgia Mae b. 9/3/08, Charlotte Grace 7/17/10.
#2 of 3 Old 01-31-2010, 12:46 PM

If you have indications or something to look for specifically they are still done, but most places don't like doing routine screening mammograms on pregnant or nursing women. They're a lot harder to read when a woman is pregnant, harder still while breastfeeding. The amount of radiation is low so it's not a huge safety issue, it's just hard to interpret while you are pregnant or breastfeeding and have all that extra tissue density.

Mama, homeschooler, midwife. DD (13yo), DS (11yo), DD (8yo), DD (3yo), somebody new coming in November 2013.

#3 of 3 Old 01-31-2010, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikirj View Post
If you have indications or something to look for specifically they are still done, but most places don't like doing routine screening mammograms on pregnant or nursing women. They're a lot harder to read when a woman is pregnant, harder still while breastfeeding. The amount of radiation is low so it's not a huge safety issue, it's just hard to interpret while you are pregnant or breastfeeding and have all that extra tissue density.
I totally second this post completely.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page