Giving in to Zofran....I need some support for All DAY sickness! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 01-31-2010, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke :Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke

I am so tired of it. I've done, ginger, lavendar, high protein, acupressure sea bands non stop, acupuncture every week, eating early, eating small, eating frequently, resting, relaxation, puking, deep breathing, eating what I feel "I'm in the mood for", no greasy foods, no carbonation, etc, etc, etc.

Nothing works, and I feel terrible!!!! I puke at least 4 times a day. I've lost about 10 lbs and I'm only 9 weeks pregnant, Anything I eat, I see again, except for an egg this morning, a banana I shared with my 18 MO, and.....well, that's it.

My hub works M-F and he can't take off to cover for me, he did take off one week already and that was wonderful, but I still puked a lot. My house is a mess, I have laundry from a week ago, waiting to be folded, my kitchen gets to be horrible, as in, stinky, dishes everywhere, more dirty dishes than food, pots and pans on stove with old food. Once I get enough energy to clean it, I do, and then I go puke, and am done for the rest of the day. I'm not talking major clean, just doing the dishes and wiping the counter clean.

Last preg, I was said to have HG, and I was on Zofran, and it did help, I still felt crappy, but I didn't puke near as much. I like to think I can make it till this is over without it, as I don't want to use any meds, but I don't see me doing this another 3 weeks at least. Last time it wasn't till 6 mo that is stopped.

I know, I know, take it one day at a time, I'm taking it one hour at a time. I've already made my son switch from one 2 hr nap to two 1.5 hr naps a day so I can rest, and hubby gets up with him at night, and takes over when he gets home.

Someone tell me you are going through the same thing!!! I feel so alone, I hardly leave the house, and the thought of it is just not worth running to the bathroom again.

SIGH
#2 of 31 Old 01-31-2010, 10:20 PM

i am not quiet there yet, but i am feeling really crappy.. (i am 7 wks 4 days) i have the dirty house and the all day sickness, but haven't puked yet.. i feel like i am going to, i gag, but then i stop myself because i can and i know it doesn't help .. i just want to sleep all day but i stay home with 2 kids and one of them doesn't nap, the other one naps most days but not everyday.. for me, the puking will start sometime in the next week or 2 and last til around 16 weeks.. i try not to think about that though because .. well, i don't want to have a countdown and then end up being sick longer this time :P

i've never tried zofran.. but i would have trouble turning it down if someone offered..

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#3 of 31 Old 01-31-2010, 10:36 PM

Just sending you hugs. Hope it ends soon for you. I had it terribly with both my pregnancies, but it always went away around the end of the first trimester. Feels like forever at the time, doesn't it.
(FWIW, I also resorted to Zofran with second pregnancy but it didn't work one tiny bit for me.)

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#4 of 31 Old 01-31-2010, 11:09 PM

I'm out the other side (thank goodness!). I also didn't want to turn to medication, but with a toddler to care for.... sometimes, you do what you gotta do.

I used Unisom x3 daily, which kept me at a baseline of queasy. I used Zofran for breakthroughs. And I ate many a lunch sitting next to the toilet in the bathroom.

Good luck. It's rough.

Jen, former sys admin and current geek , wife to DH , SAHM and Montessori homeschool teacher to DD "Nugget" (05/07) and new arrival DS "Sprout" (03/31/10)
#5 of 31 Old 02-01-2010, 01:31 AM

Hey AustinMom,

Sorry to hear you are in the all day sickness boat. I was too. I'm 15/16 weeks now and coming through it, but most of mine was from a virus. I was given IV Zofram and tablets and while like you they made me feel crummy, they helped a lot.

My midwife put me on homeopathic sulphur and wow- major improvement without the crummy side effects. Maybe it would work for you, too?

Good luck and take care,

Mj
#6 of 31 Old 02-01-2010, 11:00 AM

I'm there too. I just hit 11 weeks yesterday and have been all day nauseaus since week 6. I've been gagging, but not really bringing anything up. But, not fun, still. And, I've been enhausted and unable to eat. I also lost over 10 pounds.

Yesterday, the food started coming back up. Popcorn and PB&J. That was it for trying to eat the whole rest of the day. And, all night I would wake up and wonder if I should hit the toilet. This morning, I was sick again, vomiting whatever was left in my stomach.

With my other 2, I was sick more typical morning sickness. With #2, I took Zofran and it helped quite a bit. I have it now, but honestly, can't see it working.

My Dh said he remembers me getting worse right before I got better, I hope he's right!

Once again, Chesapeake me!
#7 of 31 Old 02-01-2010, 12:28 PM

(((HUGS)))
HG sucks. Period.
Boogie on over to http://forums.helpher.org where you will find a whole forum filled with women who knows exactly what you are going through from the neverending nausea to the knowing what is most tolerable on it's return trip to the guilt over taking meds. It's a good place, I've been there for years, through three pregnancies, two of which were HG.

Please, please, please don't feel guilty about using Zofran. You sound like you need it. Dehydration isn't good for you or the baby either.

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
#8 of 31 Old 02-01-2010, 12:56 PM

I just came out the other side of HG hell... at 30 weeks. If the Zofran helps, take it. I had some weird side effects from it (extreme anxiety) but no one who hasn't been there can judge you, and those of us who have been there will tell you to do whatever you can to feel better. Stay hydrated (even if that means going in and getting a bag hooked up), hire help if you can (a homeschooled teen to hang out with DS for a few hours?) and trust that this will end. Make peace with today, but trust that you are not facing 20 more years of this, just (at most) a handful of months.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#9 of 31 Old 02-01-2010, 03:31 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the encouragement. I'm gonna call my MW and ask about sulfur treatment. Yesterday topped 6 pukes, and I am of the mindset of once you puke and it comes out your nose, your day is ruined.

Last time, my Dr put me on Phenegram, and that made me really tired, and he said, yes that is what it is does, it's an antihistamine. I don't need help sleeping, I need help not throwing up. I get that if you sleep you don't throw up, but I need to be awake at least part of the day seeing as I have a 18MO.

SIGH.....
#10 of 31 Old 02-01-2010, 08:02 PM

Zofran is a very useful drug when needed--and you sound like you need it very much.

I've been on it since I was 5 weeks pregnant. I still threw up a lot during 1st tri with it, but it was an improvement over getting IV rehydration every few days. I still throw up daily (at 31 weeks), but it helps. I was on phenergen for DD's entire pregnancy, but for whatever reasons phenergen had no effect this time around (which is how I ended up going in for IV rehydration just shy of the 5 week mark). Phenergen does make you tired though, and I haven't had that experience with Zofran.

Another option is to do like 50mg of B6 and unisom. I usually do half a dose of unisom and it makes me less tired than the phenergen did and that's been helping too. (I'm using it in combo with the zofran, per my midwives' advice.)

Hang in there. The 8-12 week part is the worst for me regardless of what meds I'm on. I really hope the meds help make a difference so you can get through your day.

Lisa  caffix.gif and her wonderful girls: R (9) violin.gif &  J (3-3/4) coolshine.gif 
#11 of 31 Old 02-01-2010, 09:50 PM

Just a thought:

http://www.mothering.com/pregnancy-b...ical-marijuana

I confess that when Zofran made me feel very agitated and anxious, marijuana was a dream come true. It helped with the nausea and even had me excited to eat again! It is a truly a medicinal herb, if it is used responsibly.

First time mama to sweet *~....:: Eden Magnolia::....~*  4/3/10
#12 of 31 Old 02-03-2010, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

I thought Unisom was a sleep aid. I could be wrong, but i'm not sure. I thought about upping my b6, but my prenatals have like 1250% daily value of b6 already, so I figured that wouldn't work.

I have heard of marijuana. My husband brings it up constantly. Personally, I have never been a fan because when I did try it in my teen age years it made me nauseated, so I figured it wouldn't do much good anyway, and the smell of it isn't that appetizing either.

I have gotten on Zofran, I called my MW and she was conveniently at lunch with the OB I go to for all my well woman stuff, and she wrote me a prescription then, so I feel much better. I have still thrown up, but I am able to keep food and water down and such. So it's a definite plus, I'm 10 weeks, so this should hopefully only last a few more weeks.

Thanks for all y'all's support!
#13 of 31 Old 02-03-2010, 06:07 PM

I also had the constant all-day nausea for the entire first trimester and part of the second. I was fortunate in that I wasn't throwing up, but I always felt like I was on the verge of puking and everything made me gag, so it still took a heavy psychological toll.

I've never taken zofran, but I did find that unisom helped me a lot. I took half a pill, 3 times a day. The first couple of days it made me incredibly sleepy, but my body adjusted quickly and I could take it without too many side effects. I weaned myself off of it around 16 weeks...still had some nausea at that point, but it was much better.

I know no one likes to take medications when pregnant, but you also need to be able to function. If all of the non-medication stuff isn't working (small meals, ginger, protein, etc) please don't beat yourself up about needing to take a med.

SuzieQ (27), wife to my wonderful husband of 5 years, mom to a beautiful baby boy born 3.28.10
#14 of 31 Old 02-03-2010, 10:32 PM

Don't feel bad about it at all. I've been on zofran since 8 weeks (I'll be 19 weeks tomorrow,) and it's been a godsend. My insurance company gave me some flack about it, but it worked out. When I went in at 8 weeks, I had lost 13 lbs!

scifi-convention runners Kate, DH Drew 11/07, DD Cora 12/97. We , ,
Welcome to baby Fiona with a giant omphalocele, 6/17/10!
#15 of 31 Old 02-03-2010, 11:02 PM

I agree that Unisom has been a life saver. I am not one to take medication and I am super bummed on a regular basis that I am taking this but it works and it makes my life liveable. I usually take a half tab around 11am and then it works until I go to bed around 9pm and then I usually take a whole, cuz if I dont I will wake up at 3am super sick. My OB said Unisom is fine so I am really hoping it is true. Good luck. This is really hard but it will end sometime.

Holistic Moms Network Monterey Chapter, co-leader!
Mama to oneboy 6/20/07 and due Mid-August
#16 of 31 Old 02-04-2010, 01:12 AM

oh, one thing about zofran: start eating prunes or something, NOW! It is so, so constipating, and no one told me.

#17 of 31 Old 02-04-2010, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMom View Post
I thought Unisom was a sleep aid. I could be wrong, but i'm not sure. I thought about upping my b6, but my prenatals have like 1250% daily value of b6 already, so I figured that wouldn't work.

I have heard of marijuana. My husband brings it up constantly. Personally, I have never been a fan because when I did try it in my teen age years it made me nauseated, so I figured it wouldn't do much good anyway, and the smell of it isn't that appetizing either.

I have gotten on Zofran, I called my MW and she was conveniently at lunch with the OB I go to for all my well woman stuff, and she wrote me a prescription then, so I feel much better. I have still thrown up, but I am able to keep food and water down and such. So it's a definite plus, I'm 10 weeks, so this should hopefully only last a few more weeks.

Thanks for all y'all's support!
Unisom is an antihistamine (doxylamine succinate). A side effect is drowsiness, so it is marketed as a sleep aid, same as diphenhydramine (benadryl) in the Tyleol and Advil PM preparations.
Doxylamine has been used for decades in treating NVP. It (in combo with B6) is still used very liberally in Canada in a prescription called Diclectin, and used to be available in the US called Bendectin.
http://www.motherisk.org has a TON of information on this remedy. A lot of women around the world use it very successfully. It is cheap, available and relatively effective.

#18 of 31 Old 02-04-2010, 11:53 AM

I wanted to offer and also the recommendation to check out the helpher.org forums. No one else really understands hyperemesis like these ladies do. I am finally "better" after 27 weeks, but am not completely okay until after I have my baby. This, my 3rd, has been my best in terms of HG. It's so crazy. I just wanted to share that zofran gave me migraines, and that if I had access to a safe, clean source of the Mother Herb, I would have definitely gone for that. I wish I could find the article -- I think it was on MSN quite a while ago about a mother who treated her son (maybe with autism?) with MJ. She made a very mild tea. Let me look quickly... couldn't find the one I wanted, but here is a video: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/1..._n_368246.html

Anyway, I have never tried it myself because I have no access, but I just feel that it is so much safer than *any* commercial drug. Its history is so long!

I just emphasize it b/c it sounds available, and I know that it can be effective when *nothing* else is. And living with HG is not living. I still have some PTSD from my HG experiences. I hope you are better soon!

Jean, happy HS mom to Peter (5), Daniel (9) and Lucie (2) and also someone new... baby.gif
#19 of 31 Old 02-04-2010, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by october View Post
Just a thought:

http://www.mothering.com/pregnancy-b...ical-marijuana

I confess that when Zofran made me feel very agitated and anxious, marijuana was a dream come true. It helped with the nausea and even had me excited to eat again! It is a truly a medicinal herb, if it is used responsibly.
I would have definitely tried marijuana if my vomiting had been as bad as i read some people have. I never felt like my nausea would harm me or the baby since I wasn't losing weight but if I had been I would have tried the pot. One particularly horrific day around 10 weeks- I told my dh to roll me a joint (he smokes once or twice a year) but there wasn't any. I really debate in my mind what's worse- a tiny bit of marijuana or the horrific diet I was able to choke down for most of this pg.

Anyway to the OP and other sick moms- I am so sorry you are going through this! I really hope something works for you
#20 of 31 Old 02-04-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorasMama View Post
oh, one thing about zofran: start eating prunes or something, NOW! It is so, so constipating, and no one told me.
No one told you?! ACK! The constipation from zofran can be so severe as to create impactions and necessitate ER visits. There are PAGES of info on 'how to poop' over at HER because of how common a side effect it is.

#21 of 31 Old 02-04-2010, 07:52 PM

yeah, if I don't eat 10-15 prunes a day, there are serious problems. Thank God the zofran works, because I hate prunes, and no way could I eat them while nauseous.

#22 of 31 Old 02-04-2010, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinMom View Post
:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke :Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke:Puke

I am so tired of it. I've done, ginger, lavendar, high protein, acupressure sea bands non stop, acupuncture every week, eating early, eating small, eating frequently, resting, relaxation, puking, deep breathing, eating what I feel "I'm in the mood for", no greasy foods, no carbonation, etc, etc, etc.

Nothing works, and I feel terrible!!!! I puke at least 4 times a day. I've lost about 10 lbs and I'm only 9 weeks pregnant, Anything I eat, I see again, except for an egg this morning, a banana I shared with my 18 MO, and.....well, that's it.

My hub works M-F and he can't take off to cover for me, he did take off one week already and that was wonderful, but I still puked a lot. My house is a mess, I have laundry from a week ago, waiting to be folded, my kitchen gets to be horrible, as in, stinky, dishes everywhere, more dirty dishes than food, pots and pans on stove with old food. Once I get enough energy to clean it, I do, and then I go puke, and am done for the rest of the day. I'm not talking major clean, just doing the dishes and wiping the counter clean.

Last preg, I was said to have HG, and I was on Zofran, and it did help, I still felt crappy, but I didn't puke near as much. I like to think I can make it till this is over without it, as I don't want to use any meds, but I don't see me doing this another 3 weeks at least. Last time it wasn't till 6 mo that is stopped.

I know, I know, take it one day at a time, I'm taking it one hour at a time. I've already made my son switch from one 2 hr nap to two 1.5 hr naps a day so I can rest, and hubby gets up with him at night, and takes over when he gets home.

Someone tell me you are going through the same thing!!! I feel so alone, I hardly leave the house, and the thought of it is just not worth running to the bathroom again.

SIGH
I could;ve written this post except for one thing. I've been on Zofran since 7 weeks and it hasnt helped not one bit. It eased up for a few days then it came back full force. So far today I've puked 4 times and I've only eaten a bagel and a bag of 99 cent chips.
I am so sorry you are going throught this and I really truly wish I had a solution that could help you. I would not wish this stuff on my worst enemy.
#23 of 31 Old 02-05-2010, 09:12 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorasMama View Post
OMG thank you so much!! I thought it was just because I was dehydrated! Good to know, I buying some tomorrow when we go out!!! I like prunes so it shouldn't be that hard to eat them through the day. I caught myself doing a sort of "labor squat" and relaxation breathing on the toilet the other day....good to know where it's coming from !
#24 of 31 Old 02-05-2010, 10:18 PM

considering how badly constipating zofran is, I think it's ridiculous that there are so many women who don't get told about that.

#25 of 31 Old 02-05-2010, 10:40 PM

I was just given some yesterday and they didn't even say anything either.Thank goodness for some real advice.

joy.gifme, herding 5 critters a cat and a dog. DS 11/01, DS 10/04, DD 2/06, DS 5/07 and DD 9/10

#26 of 31 Old 02-05-2010, 10:45 PM

also, it may give you a headache. Unlike the constipation, however, that'll go away.

#27 of 31 Old 02-05-2010, 10:55 PM

If you can't stomach the prunes, there is no way I could, aColace a day helps a lot of mom's as do glycerin suppositories and enemas. Miralax is probably the best laxative out there. It dissolves completely in any liquid. Works great and fairly quickly IF you are able to keep liquid down. Me, I can eat food before I can drink so in the worst of it miralax wasn't an option for me.

even when dd was in the hospital and on IV zofran no one told me it would constipate her, of course I knew and was prepared but what if I hadn't had experience with zofran?

i think most medical professionals don't realize that it isn't just a 'side effect' but probably 90%+ of patients who take zofran get severely constipated. it is practically a guarantee. i once went 3 weeks without a BM because of zofran. want to talk pain?

#28 of 31 Old 02-06-2010, 12:28 AM

OMG thank God for this post ... I suffer from constipation from the prenatals anyway. I figured out that acidophilus counters that. I have the most difficult biles.

I just started Zofran today out of desperation. Glad to know that I need to find something to prevent constipation.

Married to a wonderful man and we have 1 adorable baby girl (8/30/2010) and 2 furbabies.
#29 of 31 Old 02-06-2010, 03:58 AM

Yeah, reneeisorym, I can't stress enough not to let it get bad. Don't mess around, don't think just increasing the acidophilus will do it. Go straight to the many, many prunes (if you can) or colace. That said, even the horrible constipation can't stop me from taking my zofran. I puffy heart my zofran. I can eat, and while I still feel nauseous most days, it's not constant and usually not "omg, I want to die more than I want to stay pregnant" anymore.

#30 of 31 Old 02-06-2010, 04:22 AM

first off mama hugs. I have life threatning HG in all my pg and I wouldnt wish it on my worst enemy. the HER.org forum is truly a wonderful place to get support and information about dealing with HG including treatments and protocols that you might investigate with your mw.

Have you been checked for dehydration? Because being dehydrated will make you more nauseous and throw up and...well its a vicious cycle. I often had to "break" it by getting IV fluids and IV zofran (which imo works way better than oral as it bypasses the stomach and gets directly into your system, no chance throwing it up)

Another thing I did was I ended up flipping our days. I made my "nights" during the day when DH had to work so for the most part I didnt have to be mommy while he was gone. Everyone was sleeping. We'd "wake up" when he'd get home from work and it would be our "day" at night. Now it is very hard especially on my DH as he worked and then was constantly woken up when he was trying to sleep but it was the only way we could do it. that way if I needed help (which I did) he could help us.

We also take a "we need to survive" approach. I nixed all washable utensils/cups/plates and only use paper products (not great but again were so in "survival" mode that honestly DH washing dishes just cant be priority. We also pretty much take a whole other stance to laundry. I usually could get the laundry done but we would live out of sorted laundry baskets. Each member had their own, I figured at least we had clean clothes, wrinkly but clean this is also when we started to use those clorox wipes. You can literally clean with a wipe by wiping down all surfaces.

if you have any friends or family around that could help with stuff even if its to vacuum real quick or heck even take out the garbage all those little things that need to be done.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page