veggie or fruit? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 02-01-2010, 07:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Where does tomato soup count? I'm trying to get more veggies because I suddenly hate them all but I still like tomato soup. Hm. Maybe that right there tells me it's a fruit!

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#2 of 7 Old 02-01-2010, 07:37 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hmm...in public school menus tomatoes are officially a veggie, but then again so is ketchup. I tend to lump my fruits & veggies all together, but consider leafy green veggies their own category.

Maybe try a V8 type thing. Or a tomato based vegetable soup. I loved tomato stuff the 1st 2 trimesters to the exclusion of all other veggies so I got creative. Spinach lasagna, tomato-based stews.

If you have a juicer, it's awesome. I got most of my veggies via juice or smoothie. You can cover the taste of 2 servings of spinach with 1 apple-no lie. And bananas take over smoothie taste--check out some green smoothie recipes.

Kara: on a journey with DH, Mama to DS 2/2010
#3 of 7 Old 02-01-2010, 07:57 PM

Well, whether it's a veggie or a fruit, it's got the same nutritional profile.

Great source of vitamin c, vitamin a, vitamin e, magnesium, and others...but it is higher in carbohydrates in ratio to protein than some other foods. But if you're just trying to eat well, tomatoes have a place! And great idea about combining tomatoes with other vegetables. I really find tomatoes can hide other things well, especially cooked and pureed in tomato sauce.

4 kids under 10
#4 of 7 Old 02-01-2010, 08:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
We had actually meant to buy some V8, but forgot. That's the hazard of shopping without a plan OR a list!! Last night we had roasted asparagus (not cheap) because I love it. Uh ... not so much anymore. I just managed to get the full serving down before it really started to disgust me

I have no trouble eating any fruit, and I'm seriously loving cara cara oranges and red grapefruite right now. But DP says there are things in veggies that aren't in fruits and I need to eat veggies too (I asked him to help me eat better). I need a nice non-dairy dip for carrots, I can still stomach those. Maybe peanut butter and celery? Hmm... maybe hummus?

We don't have a juicer, though I've considered it more then once. This might be the nudge to finally get one. The 'Naked' brand of whole juices is really good, but, again, it's mostly fruit and very $$.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#5 of 7 Old 02-01-2010, 09:57 PM

I think it's closer to a vegetable in this case - it doesn't have the sugar that fruit does.

I went through a time during my first pregnancy when I couldn't stand vegetables - I'd even pick them out of my lasagna! Normally I love veggies so it was very strange for me. If you're normally a veggie lover then I'm sure it will return before your pregnancy is over and you'll make up for it. But if you're looking for ideas, how about kale chips? Wash and dry kale leaves really well, oil them up and salt them, and roast them on a baking sheet at 450 until they're crispy (around 5-8 minutes). You may as well get bang for your buck if you're having trouble with veggies and kale is really good for you. How about adding veggie purees (carrots would work really well) to your tomato soup?

Eve Eleanor born June 5, 2007
Graham Alexander born February 27, 2010

#3 due November 3, 2014

#6 of 7 Old 02-01-2010, 10:33 PM

ketchup is not counted as a veggie
#7 of 7 Old 02-01-2010, 10:51 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Botanically tomatoes are a fruit but, as other PPs have said, that doesn't change their nutritional profile and, as they have less sugar than other fruit I tend to count them as a vege when I am considering my intake.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page