why oh why does pregnancy make your feet hurt so bad? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 02-01-2010, 07:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 12 weeks pregnant. I am actually still below my pre-pregnancy weight I was with my first (~119 lbs.) but my feet already hurt so much! If I am on my feet a lot for one or two days in a row I don't even want to walk anywhere by the end of the second day. I never had this problem with #1 or when I am not pregnant (was running up to 12 miles at a time just before I got pregnant) I am going to try more supportive shoes of course but I can't afford much right now. Why on earth would being pregnant at this early stage cause my feet to not like being used so much?

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
#2 of 5 Old 02-02-2010, 12:01 AM

It's the relaxin that we start producing once we ovulate. It drops if you don't get pregnant, but if you do, it continues to increase throughout the pregnancy, according to pregnancyxl.com. Wouldn't it be nice if it were specific in only relaxing the ligaments around our pelvis?

If you can't afford better shoes, there are some nice inserts by Dr. Scholl's that might help you. My feet hurt like crazy every time. My DH rubs them, and I also roll them on a golf ball. Nothing stops them from getting bigger, though. I'm up a half size from before I started having kids. You might want to make sure your shoes still fit b/c that will cause added discomfort.

Home water birthing, non-circing, delayed vaxing, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing Mommy to DS1 5/08, DS2 5/10 and wife to sweetest hubby ever.
#3 of 5 Old 02-02-2010, 01:15 AM

Save your $60 on a nice pair of shoes and get firm inserts instead. They have completely saved me. I think mine are the Walk Fit brand, but I'll check that and repost tomorrow. Basically they're a firm plastic insert with three interchangeable sizes of arch support. You start out wearing them a few hours a day, then move upward as your ligaments and tendons reposition themselves.

My whole family deals with the pain of feet (plantar fasciitis), and mine started badly this summer. I avoided going the dr. route because not many people in my family have found success that way. These firm plastic inserts (which really are very comfortable after the first couple of days) seem to be the best, based on what family have said.

It should also get better once pregnancy hormones are gone and once pregnancy weight is shed.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#4 of 5 Old 02-02-2010, 12:56 PM

Second/third getting firm inserts. For some of us, getting a different shoe size also helps. My feet seem to swell/grow when preggo.
#5 of 5 Old 02-02-2010, 01:41 PM

Yup...Walk Fit brand. You can buy them online or in stores.

The gel-type inserts are nice for a little while, and give you some cush, but really they don't fix the problem...supporting your stretched out ligaments and foot structures.

Good luck!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page