yeast during pregnancy - natural treatments? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 02-02-2010, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering what you other mamas do if/when you get a yeast infection during pregnancy - what natural things can I try?

Rachel, mom to 5 children and expecting another in 2014!

Our blog!

#2 of 20 Old 02-02-2010, 06:38 PM

I take probiotic acidophilus every day to prevent those. You can also eat yogurt. I've heard of people putting plain yogurt "there".

Married to a wonderful man and we have 1 adorable baby girl (8/30/2010) and 2 furbabies.
#3 of 20 Old 02-02-2010, 09:09 PM

If the infection is in the very early stages, I usually use a garlic clove. Peel a clove, stick it up inside you at night before bed. Some people thread it with dental floss or thread, but I just stick it up there - it tends to fall out on its own after a day or so anyway, if you can't reach it with your fingers. If the infection has progressed beyond the early stage, I'll cut the clove in half before inserting it. It sounds weird, but it generally does the trick. If I'm experiencing a lot of itching, I will use a plastic syringe thing to insert a tubeful of plain yogurt in the vagina during the morning. A friend of mine freezes a tampon applicator full of yogurt and inserts that for maximum relief, but I've never tried that extra step.
#4 of 20 Old 02-03-2010, 02:43 AM

I have also had success with inserting probiotic capsules vaginally. I think I did two a night for a few days, then a day off to see if the crud was gone, and then more if needed.

Wife to Thomas, WAH mama to Sofia Rose 8/04, Ellen Marie 10/07, her twin sister Amalie Joy lost 7/07 , and Maya Grace and Hannah Miriam 4/10
#5 of 20 Old 02-03-2010, 09:20 AM

I have recently I treated a yeast infection with probiotics (I used the ones by Dr. Mercola, one tablet twice a day), calendula suppositories (they work wonders for relieving the itchiness) and the Himalaya V-Gel.

Externally you can use calendula-infused oil and Vitamin E (oil or cream) with a few drops of TTO.

I heard the garlic trick too but have not tried it.
Also they say that an overnight tampon soaked in TTO usually fights yeast infections within a week but I was reluctant to try it as I'm pregnant as well.
#6 of 20 Old 02-03-2010, 09:54 AM

also i would suggest as a general rule (especially if yeast is a recurrent problem) avoid sugar as much as possible. there are lots of things on the internet about candida you can look into for more details.
#7 of 20 Old 02-03-2010, 11:24 AM

I have definitely healed very quickly from a yeast infection from inserting a little over a tablespoon of plain yogurt 'up there' before bed two nights in a row. Not only is it effective because it has probiotics, it is incrediblye (incredibly) soothing.

So far during this pregnancy, taking acidophilus with bifidus (5 billion twice a day) has been enough for me.

First time mama to sweet *~....:: Eden Magnolia::....~*  4/3/10
#8 of 20 Old 02-03-2010, 11:24 AM

The midwife that I work with also recommends putting an ice cube up there. It usually works if it is not a severe yeast infection. Yeast likes warm, moist places, not cold moist places. I also concur with a low sugar diet...

: : Candace McCollett, CBE, CLD, student midwife : : : : :
#9 of 20 Old 02-08-2010, 03:11 PM

I would try taking and applying Grapefruit Seed extract. I emailed Dr Jack Newman to ask if it was safe while pregnant (I have boob yeasties) and he said it was fine.

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#10 of 20 Old 02-08-2010, 03:16 PM

coconut oil rubbed externally will help kill them and help relieve itchyness also on nipples, safe for baby to suck on.
#11 of 20 Old 02-08-2010, 07:30 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Boric acid suppositories. Work awesome! Just fill a "00" gelatin capsule with pharmacy boric acid powder and insert at night before bed. This cures me in a day but you can do it for a week.

DS1 2004 ~ DS2 2005 ~ DD1 2008 ~ DS3 2010 ~ DD2 due Dec. 2014
#12 of 20 Old 02-10-2010, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info and advice/suggestions!! I have some Candida suppositories - it's supposed to be all natural homeopathic treatment for yeast infections - it's called "Yeast Gard". It says "if pregnant or breast-feeding, ask a health professional before use" but I'm thinking it's probably just fine. My RNP confirmed that I do indeed have a yeast infection and recommended the usual Monistat 7 creme. I do confess I bought a pack of Monistat just in case nothing else works - I'm miserable. But I'm going to try the natural stuff first.

Our blog!

#13 of 20 Old 02-11-2010, 04:05 PM

I'm pretty sure I used the yeast guard stuff during my last pregnancy - I think my MW recommended it! You have lots of other great topical and insertion remedy suggestions already so I just wanted to elaborate on some dietary recommendations. I very highly recommend making some dietary changes now - if you don't get this under control now, its very likely your baby will end up with thrush... my dd1 did and I'm sure its because I didn't get my yeast infection figured out when I was pg with her. SO, staying away from white sugar is the first place to start, but IME you really need to watch ALL sugars and carbs if you're having a yeast overgrowth... the more refined ones are the worst offenders, but any sugars can be feeding the yeast, including from fruits, bread, pasta, etc etc. Of course you still need to eat, but for me it helps to replace at least some carb calories with more meat, eggs, cultured dairy, green vegetables, and fats like butter and coconut oil which are naturally anti-fungal. For a sweetener, I like to use stevia. Also, I find that eating fermented (probiotic) foods helps me more than taking probiotic capsules. Yogurt doesn't do as much for me as kefir, raw sauerkraut or kim chi or kombucha. You should be able to find raw versions of all of those at any natural food store. Good luck!

Elizabeth, naturally-minded mother to two beautiful girls and on the path to living a debt-free off-grid eco-lifestyle in my not built yet dream house
#14 of 20 Old 02-11-2010, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Elizabeth. It's hard to be pregnant and stay away from white carbs and sweets but I'm trying - I've already really cut back but I'm trying to really limit these things. I think my cousin had mentioned kefir as well, which I don't know what it is - is it similar to yogurt - do you drink it?

The Yeast Gard seems to be helping a little but it's definitely not gone at least yet. I'll see if I can get my hands on some kefir and more yogurt.

Our blog!

#15 of 20 Old 02-11-2010, 05:16 PM

I'm not so sure whether yeast infections during pregnancy are always correlated to a high intake of sugars/carbs. I never had a yeast problem in my entire life, not even once during my first pregnancy and back then I was a vegetarian so obvioulsy I was eating a lot of carbs.

Now I'm 22 weeks pregnant and currently I'm having my third yeast infection! And this time round I have a very very sensible diet, mostly following the NT dietary recommendations.

My OB also does not believe that it is related to my diet, and she is a very naturally oriented physician (and a homeopathic doctor). She told me that during pregnancy many women are much more prone to yeast infections and is usually unrelated to their dietary habits.

But of course if your diet already contains refined carbs and sugars I believe that you should start gradually eliminating them and see if it makes any different to the occurrence of your yeast infections.
#16 of 20 Old 02-11-2010, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercat View Post
I'm not so sure whether yeast infections during pregnancy are always correlated to a high intake of sugars/carbs. I never had a yeast problem in my entire life, not even once during my first pregnancy and back then I was a vegetarian so obvioulsy I was eating a lot of carbs.

Now I'm 22 weeks pregnant and currently I'm having my third yeast infection! And this time round I have a very very sensible diet, mostly following the NT dietary recommendations.

My OB also does not believe that it is related to my diet, and she is a very naturally oriented physician (and a homeopathic doctor). She told me that during pregnancy many women are much more prone to yeast infections and is usually unrelated to their dietary habits.

But of course if your diet already contains refined carbs and sugars I believe that you should start gradually eliminating them and see if it makes any different to the occurrence of your yeast infections.
I haven't had a problem with yeast for almost two years (during the beginning of my last pregnancy). I am sure pregnancy is a factor in this - that otherwise I probably would not have it. But I do understand that slowly lowering the sugar may "starve" the yeast and help me get over this and prevent it from coming back. I know I can't get rid of ALL white carbs and sweets but I have cut back and upped my protein and all that anyways - because I'm pregnant I've been eating better from the start.

Our blog!

#17 of 20 Old 02-11-2010, 05:56 PM

I just got over one. I tried the natural way, but I think I waited too long to treat and ended up using Monistat 3. The yogurt and garlic almost did the trick, but not quite. Garlic did the trick with the one I got when pregnant with DS1.

I only get these when I am pregnant (now that I figured out that I also used to get them from scented soaps and TMI - spermicide). The hormones are the main factor, but yes, if your diet is full of white sugar and flour, that only makes things worse. I eat plain yogurt daily, and don't eat much sugar, and still got one.

I also switched to wearing a nightgown sans undies, which is helpful. I just can't bring myself to sleep in my birthday suit when DS sleeps with us and often has his feet tucked between my thighs.

I hope you're feeling better!

Home water birthing, non-circing, delayed vaxing, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing Mommy to DS1 5/08, DS2 5/10 and wife to sweetest hubby ever.
#18 of 20 Old 02-12-2010, 01:21 PM

Pre-pg I always did an external rise with diluted apple cider vinegar to help kill yeast... I'm going to have to go on oral antibiotics soon (which always triggers an external YI for me) and asked my MW if I can still do the ACV rinse with oral probiotics to help with the YI.... and she had no idea either way. Has anyone used ACV and continued to have success during pg?

Jen knit.gif crafty mama LLLactivist to DS1 (2010)bouncy.gif and DS2 (2012)blahblah.giffamilybed2.gif nursex2.gifribbonjigsaw.gif
#19 of 20 Old 02-12-2010, 08:01 PM

I just got over my 2nd yeastie since being preg.
Pre preg, I rarely got these and when I did I would use a rinse or 2 of tto, peroxide or yogurt suppository and be fine. I also made sure to have probiotics and I stayed away from processed sugar.
While preg, both times I've had a YI, I tried these methods along with other natural remedies and it just didn't work. I would find some releif, but nothing completely knocked it out except monistat.
Both times monistat knocked it out in a couple of days. I hate having to resort to those types of treatments, but it's been the only thing to work for me. If I get another while preg, I'll skip all the other stuff, so I don't have to endure weeks of itching and being uncomfortable and go straight for the monistat.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#20 of 20 Old 02-21-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie_ View Post
If the infection is in the very early stages, I usually use a garlic clove. Peel a clove, stick it up inside you at night before bed. Some people thread it with dental floss or thread, but I just stick it up there - it tends to fall out on its own after a day or so anyway, if you can't reach it with your fingers. If the infection has progressed beyond the early stage, I'll cut the clove in half before inserting it. It sounds weird, but it generally does the trick.
How long does it take for the YI to clear out with garlic?

This time I left my YI untreated for too long (well, not entiirely untreated but I was using only the V-gel and have not doubled up my probiotic dosage as I was running out) so I'm now trying the garlic thing. I use a halved garlic glove every night for three nights in row now. I remove it in the morning and replace it with a probiotic capsule. There's has been substantial relief but still I can "feel" that the YI has not cleared out completely yet

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page