Where are you mamas "registering"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 02-09-2010, 06:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I pose this question because it has been an interesting path just straying away from an impersonal silly baby shower to a more meaningful gathering of woman that celebrates mothers and the transformations she goes through! But I have enjoyed putting ideas together and learning with my friends and family ways to create a blessing ceremony, hope it rubs off!

With that said there is still the question of "where are you registered"? In truth, I have discovered there is not much a newborn needs, no stroller, highchair, crib, playpen, bottle warmer etc... Nor do I support buying new clothes and other items to add to the landfill! But im sure down the way some of the above will be welcome and people wish to give. I like the idea of encouraging women to visit and bring meals rather than spending money.

In addition were a family on the road and will be saddling up the motorhome about a month after baby in born (April!) So really trying to cut down on the unneccesary stuff.

So I was curious if anyone else can relate? Where are you registering and what for?

cloth diapers
receiving blankets
eco friendly laundry soap
car seat
gift cards
#2 of 26 Old 02-09-2010, 06:52 PM

We registered for dd here:

http://www.alternativegiftregistry.org/index.php

I was able to link to items on sites all over the web (or in brick-and-mortar stores near home), ask for used items, ask for help or services (like meals, mowing the lawn, etc.) and all kinds of things that went beyond a normal baby shower. I loved it.

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#3 of 26 Old 02-09-2010, 09:14 PM

I will be registering at babies-r-us, target, and wal-mart for 0-3 month clothes and the essentials (diapers, diaper bag, wipes, strollers, carseat, etc.). My family is very large. My mom has eight brothers and sisters so at my mom's side of the family baby shower they'll be anywhere from 30-50 people in attendance. We plan to combine my dad's side of the family and our friends for a co-Ed baby shower in and of itself. So between the two showers we should be in good shape by the time the baby gets here and since our LO was an unplanned miracle we can use all the help we can get. The clothes that we buy for the baby will be bought at consignment shops like once upon a child and lady bug landing. It makes the most sense to buy second hand since they grow so fast. Unfortunately you can't register at consignment shops so the clothing we get from friends and family via the showers will be new. However we will be donating what we can back to the consignment stores.
#4 of 26 Old 02-09-2010, 11:53 PM

Just a thought...if you don't register, you might get some really, really weird stuff (think silver dolphin keepsake statues and the like). There are people out there that HAVE to buy stuff so it might be a good idea to get a registry going with some things like books, toys, and clothes.

ETA: I know this sounds terrible, but you might also want to register with big box store, even if it's just a few things. People will probably be buying you stuff from Target or BRU anyway, so it may as well be something you can use (rather than 5 pairs of plastic keys and a diaper genie).
#5 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 12:22 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I'm kind of wrestling with this a little myself. I was thinking Babies R us (hate it, but whatever), maybe Target and something online. I was thinking Amazon, but I'm going to check out that link.

I'm registering for very few clothes (just gonna hit the goodwill, ect myself), a cosleeper and/or crib, carseat, stroller and the rest I'm really not sure. Bedding so DSD can pick out something. Bottles I guess (I'll have to pump). Really not sure what else at this point.

Loving mama to Aden (8/5/2010) and DSD (15).
#6 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 01:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naomismom View Post
People will probably be buying you stuff from Target or BRU anyway, so it may as well be something you can use (rather than 5 pairs of plastic keys and a diaper genie).
I understand where you are coming from and I'm hoping to keep things simple as it drives me crazy to think about accumulating too much stuff. But my relatives historically buy us stuff we hate unless we give them specific ideas, so I chose to register at BRU. I kept my list pretty basic and ignored the saleslady who told me I had too few items! (I registered for a carseat, cosleeper, breast pump, cloth pads, lansinoh cream, a booster seat, and a jogging stroller for DH because he is a runner and really wants one).

I've had a few people directly ask what we want and I've told them about items I didn't want to get from BRU like cloth diapers, nursing tanks, and an Ergo carrier.

I really don't want our house to be over-full with baby stuff, but I also figure that this is our best chance to get a few quality items that will hopefully last for future babies, so I might as well provide specific ideas for those who want to give.

Mom to DD born March 2010, and someone new March 2012

#7 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 01:50 PM

www.myregistry.com lets me pick items from any website.. so I can register for stuff from etsy for example (handmade, recycled, vintage items), and also buy some new things that I need (like a thermometer!) from more mainstream places as well..
#8 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 02:07 PM

I'm only registering at one place and that's Amazon.com. Love them!
  • From my experience people buy what they want anyways.
  • Target has a HORRIBLE return policy. No receipt for an item over $20, even if it's on your registry and they can't even give you a store credit!!!
  • Babys'r'us is tooo expensive.
  • Often times when I go to the store to buy things from the registry, it's not even in stock!
  • Amazon has NO tax AND a great majority of the times, free shipping.
  • Even if I did WMT, the in-store selection varies by location, which means once again, the item out be out of stock possibly.

DD born 7/19/10, DS due 3/12/12

#9 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 02:11 PM

My nephew and his gf registered at Target- it was a nightmare.. no pics next to items.. and somethings description would be like "pink size 2" pink size 2 what? and most things were out of stock or online.. not much really that was in the store unless I really wanted to buy them disposable diapers..
#10 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 02:13 PM

When I registered with my 1st I did Target and Babies R Us. I think it depends on how your family and friends are. Most of my family wouldn't go for buying something off a website-especially the older women. They like to go in and look at all the cute baby stuff, etc. My friends, otoh, would easily buy off a website if thats what was on the invite. So maybe for the CD's and more "crunchy" stuff you could find a website but also do a brick and mortar for any who want to do that.

I can't remember what I registered for but to add to your list, I would put a Moby or a sling and an Ergo or similar type carriers. Those were a lifesaver for me! Oh and a breastfeeding pillow is pretty handy too but not necessary if space is tight!

Lisa, mama to A (3/05) and R (11/07) and L (8/10)
#11 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonyvj View Post
I'm only registering at one place and that's Amazon.com. Love them!
  • From my experience people buy what they want anyways.
  • Target has a HORRIBLE return policy. No receipt for an item over $20, even if it's on your registry and they can't even give you a store credit!!!
  • Babys'r'us is tooo expensive.
  • Often times when I go to the store to buy things from the registry, it's not even in stock!
  • Amazon has NO tax AND a great majority of the times, free shipping.
  • Even if I did WMT, the in-store selection varies by location, which means once again, the item out be out of stock possibly.

But on Target's return policy page it does say, "You can print your Gift Purchase Log anytime at the store kiosk and use it just like a receipt—all you need is your registry password!"

Of course, this could be an issue for me. I had a heck of a time last night getting into my registry at the store, because Target.com lets you use your Amazon log-in info, but the store does not.

Hippie sympathizer and mom to L, 4.8.10.
Pet-mom to Squirt with FLUTD & Maya the deaf wonder dog .
#12 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post
My nephew and his gf registered at Target- it was a nightmare.. no pics next to items.. and somethings description would be like "pink size 2" pink size 2 what? and most things were out of stock or online.. not much really that was in the store unless I really wanted to buy them disposable diapers..
We finally had to actually go to target last night, get a registry gun, and find things actually in the store.

almost everything i'd registered for at target.com was online only!

#13 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 02:34 PM

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
We're doing the myregistry.com thing, and registering at BRU. This is our first and we have NOTHING. We haven't gone yet but we're planning on registering for stuff like a baby monitor (our bedroom is in a loft/I often garden outside in the summer and I want to be able to hear the baby inside), first aid kit, baby bath, hooded towels, high chair/booster seat, diaper bag, little baby spoons and baby dishes, etc. We're having our shower AFTER the baby is born so I'm not registering for things like the carseat, and the crib and stroller have already been purchased for us.

When we put together our myregistry, I specifically added things at brick and mortar stores in town so that way people could go to a local store and buy my Moby wrap or the gDiapers we registered for. People don't often order things online, and I don't have a lot of likeminded friends who CD or BW so they might not know the "right" stuff or where to go so this gives them a place to go.

Me + DH + Daniel (7/5/10)
Testing early and often since February 2014.
#14 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiOrion View Post
But on Target's return policy page it does say, "You can print your Gift Purchase Log anytime at the store kiosk and use it just like a receipt—all you need is your registry password!"

Of course, this could be an issue for me. I had a heck of a time last night getting into my registry at the store, because Target.com lets you use your Amazon log-in info, but the store does not.
Well maybe they have updated it since I got married back in April of 2008. Thanks to the return policy then, I now have two ice cream makers...It was such a stupid fiasco with them, I'm just turned off now even if they have changed it.

#15 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvonyvj View Post
Well maybe they have updated it since I got married back in April of 2008. Thanks to the return policy then, I now have two ice cream makers...It was such a stupid fiasco with them, I'm just turned off now even if they have changed it.
Target DID make me really mad two Christmases ago when I was given two copies of a movie. One was from Amazon, and one was from Target. I decided to take the Target one back, because that seemed easier. They wouldn't take it back without a receipt. I'd understand that, except that it had stickers all over that said "TARGET EXCLUSIVE!" and "BONUS FEATURES ONLY AVAILABLE AT TARGET!"

#16 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 09:18 PM

Started off with alternativegiftregistry, but then changed over to Amazon.
I have loved it so far.
Some people truly love to shop in stores for gifts, so for them I did BabiesRUS.
That's not my fav place in the world, but they do have some good breast pump/feeding items.

Lovin my sweet babygirl 3-17-10love.gif and expecting another in March! love.gif

#17 of 26 Old 02-10-2010, 11:52 PM

Target's return policies really depend on the Target. The Target by my parents house the return policy is awful and makes you want to throw stuff, but the Target by my house doesn't seem to care if you have a receipt, the box is open, etc.

obstruct livery vehicles

#18 of 26 Old 02-11-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal_R View Post
Target's return policies really depend on the Target. The Target by my parents house the return policy is awful and makes you want to throw stuff, but the Target by my house doesn't seem to care if you have a receipt, the box is open, etc.
I tried that also with my two ice cream makers....I tried three Targets each 30 minutes away from each other...no luck.

#19 of 26 Old 02-11-2010, 02:32 PM

I'm another who is mad at Target for their draconian return policy. If I'm roped into doing a shower again (hoping that I have another girl so that it's really and truly NOT necessary), I may have to do WMT, as much as I HATE it. There isn't a BRU close by, and I know most of my people wouldn't plan far enough ahead to order online.

Then again, maybe I just won't register for anything. Gah. We really don't need anything, except maybe a suped up, super expensive double jogging stroller. Which we probably wouldn't use much, anyway.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#20 of 26 Old 02-11-2010, 07:13 PM

I've been using the Amazon universal registry to compile the things that popped into my mind, before I forget them. However I don't really expect anyone to get me anything from the list. Like a previous poster mentioned, I think most people I know like to go into a store and get stuff, so I also started a registry at Target.

But actually in our Muslim community (mostly immigrants) I don't think people are really into registries yet. They usually go pick out an outfit for the new baby and bring it when they visit after the birth. This is our third baby anyway so we don't really need anything much except for a replacement baby monitor, a new crib mattress, and a few more CD covers.

But at least with the registries, I have the list of what we need compiled so I don't have to keep things flying in my head.

Wasn't there an article in Mothering this past year about being more eco-concious when planning for a new baby? or maybe it was somewhere else.

Wife, childbirth educator and homeschooling mama to DS 6/05, DD 8/07, DS 6/10 and new baby July/Aug 2012.

#21 of 26 Old 02-11-2010, 08:29 PM

The only thing we've got here is WMT and no one really asks about a registry, they either bring a gift or food. this time, I'm thinking no one will bring us food as we have gluten and dairy intolerance and the main question I get is, "what do you eat?".
I am, however keeping track of my own wish list on amazon, like others. I'm wanting CD, a wrap, some baby hats and sleep sacks. Oh, and we have to buy a carseat again this time. So that's where we are.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#22 of 26 Old 02-11-2010, 08:36 PM

i can relate! i've refused to register for stuff i don't absolutely need, and chose myregistry.com b/c i could write descriptions on the items. i added the cash gift, and wrote in the description that we are only registering for absolute essentials, and within that were being very specific. used joyful language to invite people to contribute a small amount if they did not see anything that inspired them (b/c most of it is uber-practical not cute and only a few items total, with some big ones most people cannot afford individually).

then for individual items i wrote short descriptions about why i'd picked each one. not heavy-handed but descriptive.

the only drawback of myregistry is that because it redirects people to other sites, they may not "get" the dashboard feature that they are supposed to fill out when they buy something. i've received several things but no one has filled out that they made a purchase so that it shows up as fulfilled.

we also decided that we'd only share the registry with friends and family who specifically asked, and turned down offers for a shower that would be friends of friends and friends of relatives. this event/time just feels too important to be reduced to stuff, and i'd feel irresponsible asking for things from people i don't have a relationship with/intend to support in a community kind of way...

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#23 of 26 Old 02-12-2010, 06:58 AM

I'm glad i'm not the only one struggling w/this. I registered at BRU, just for the reason that i know many people won't shop online, or won't until the last minute so instead they'll go somewhere and at least want' to direct them. We only have about twelve items, including plain shirts, cheap washcloths that we will use as wipes, a couple bath towels, carseat, and recieving blankets. I'll also register at amazon, but who knows if anyone will bother with that!
My shower is planned a week before edd, so as for dipes, i'll have to order them soon and have them all laundered and the few clothes are bought from consignment shops. It really stinks having the shower so late, but at least i'm having one

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#24 of 26 Old 02-15-2010, 11:55 PM

related question...

my BIL is having a baby in April.. after finally tracking him down today, I have figured out that he doesn't have any idea what a baby registry is for.. and they have gotten nothing for their baby..

I think that is kind of nuts..

Well, I understand though because they have one income atm, and are trying to get thier own place soon so they don't want to have to pack up a bunch of stuff... so what can I send them (out of state).. I think a gift card somewhere would be the most useful, should I just do babies R us? Who has a good gift card policy (no fees, no expiry) that specializes in baby stuff? I have a small gift card floating around here from Linens n things (or something like that) which I will happily send since we don't have one of those stores here anyway, but I would like to send something specific for the baby and not just for setting up a household, kwim?
#25 of 26 Old 02-16-2010, 02:37 AM

For fun I registered at some local French boutique and at Baby's RUS. I didn't find a lot that I really wanted though. I don't want a sterling silver piggy bank or some other keepsake that will only collect dust. The truth is I'd just prefer to either be given money to put towards what I need or want or some gently used hand me downs. The registry for me is just for fun and hasn't been shared with anyone and I don't know if I will share it. What annoys me is that I know some of the items that I want but not all of them are at the same place. Maybe there is a better way to register where I don't need to go to so many places?
#26 of 26 Old 02-16-2010, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3crunchycarrots View Post
I pose this question because it has been an interesting path just straying away from an impersonal silly baby shower to a more meaningful gathering of woman that celebrates mothers and the transformations she goes through! But I have enjoyed putting ideas together and learning with my friends and family ways to create a blessing ceremony, hope it rubs off!

With that said there is still the question of "where are you registered"? In truth, I have discovered there is not much a newborn needs, no stroller, highchair, crib, playpen, bottle warmer etc... Nor do I support buying new clothes and other items to add to the landfill! But im sure down the way some of the above will be welcome and people wish to give. I like the idea of encouraging women to visit and bring meals rather than spending money.

In addition were a family on the road and will be saddling up the motorhome about a month after baby in born (April!) So really trying to cut down on the unneccesary stuff.

So I was curious if anyone else can relate? Where are you registering and what for?

cloth diapers
receiving blankets
eco friendly laundry soap
car seat
gift cards
Amazon.com baby registry! really. they have a universal registry option so you can add anything that you find anywhere on the internet and anything on amazon itself. I found it easier to use myself and easier for guests to use than the alternativeregistry, which I tried out for my wedding.

mama to two little men...3/25/2010 and 10/3/2013

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page