How do I know if I'm having twins? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-18-2010, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 21 wks and have gained 21 pounds. I have 2 girls now and I only gained 25 pounds with both of them. This one is a boy so I know it could be different because of that but Im alot tired than the last two. Im twice as moody. I have had an ultrasound but they didn't look to see if there was another baby in there and when they check the heartbeat they just look for one then stop. I had the ultrasound at 18 weeks. The baby is moving alot and sometimes it would feel like the baby was in my ribs but then I would feel him kicking below my belly button? Could someone please help me. I have history in my family of having twins my cousin is having twins now and the father has a history of twins in his family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-18-2010, 01:22 PM

The do usually spot these things at the u/s - by 18 weeks they don't usually have to look for another baby, it's really obviously there to see. If you're worried you can go back for another u/s...? My midwife says she can generally only disgnose twins very late on - she did say she once had a very large girl in frank breech and OP (so her 2 legs were up against the mama's belly) which 4 different mw's dx as twins - those 2 big chunky legs were mistaken for 2 backs!

If it's any comfort i know many women find boys and girls pregnancies REALLY different. I'm pretty convinced i'm having a boy this time, simply because of how different everything is.
Old 02-18-2010, 01:48 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah but I didn't think that I would gain twice as much weight with this pregnancy than I did my last two. I look like I was when I was 8 months and getting ready to have my girls but I am only 21 wks. With my girls I delievered at 34 and a half weeks. For both of them. I was able to wear my pants the whole pregnancy with my girls but I can even fit to my pants anymore already.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:07 PM

How high is your fundus though? How big was baby measuring on the 18week scan? I have gained masses more weight than i did with DD (i am the same weight at the same stage but i began 6kg lighter this time so i've already gained 6kg more than i did last time), but my fundus isn't any higher than it should be and my baby was bang on 15+1 when i had my scan (at 15+1). If you're really concerned about it can you request another scan to make sure? It's rare to miss a twin at 18 weeks but not impossible.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:13 PM

I'm also gaining more weight with this pregnancy than I did with my first, and my belly looks huge. I've had two ultrasounds and each only showed one baby, but my last was at 9 weeks. A few people have asked me if I'm sure I'm not having twins ( gee, thanks), but I feel pretty certain that a second baby would have been spotted in one of my u/s, and I feel totally certain that an 18 week twin couldn't be missed.

I'd say it's the boy factor. In my family, we always gain more with boys. I was absolutely certain I was having another girl until I started getting so big, and now I don't know.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:26 PM

I really doubt that they would miss a twin on an 18 week scan. Not impossible but extremely unlikely. It could be the boy factor, moms tend to gain more weight with boys (though not always).

For what it's worth, my MIL gained only 20 lbs with her first (my DH) was sick all the time and then gained 50 lbs with her second (a boy also) and never got sick. DH's brother was only a couple pounds bigger than DH, and was also 2 weeks late, where DH was born right at 40 weeks. Her pregnancies were sooo different with them and they were both singletons, both boys.

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
Old 02-18-2010, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I gained 19 lbs with DD1 and close to 50 with DS, I wasn't sick, nothing was *that* different, my diet the same. The only difference was what my body thought it needed to gain with him. And yes I was huge compared to my other pgs!

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 02-18-2010, 04:41 PM

the fathers twin history doesnt matter...

do you know if your cousin is having fraternal or identical? and if fraternal did she have fertility treatment? because fraternal from fertility treatments and identical twins do not raise your family risk of them.

And... the cousin is your blood relative and not the spouse of a male blood relative right? Cuz that matters...

anyway, I agree with everyone else... really not likely to miss it at 18 weeks. If they looked hard enough to know its a boy... they def. looked hard enough that missing a twin would be pretty unlikely.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:35 PM

I had twins, and at 18 weeks they could see both babies very easily....in fact, it was hard to get JUST one on the screen for the measurements they did. I'm not saying it would be impossible to miss a twin at that stage, but I would guess that it is very, very, VERY unlikely.

I think it's safe to assume you just have one very active baby!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
Old 02-18-2010, 06:00 PM

I am having twins this time around and I think by 18 weeks it would be obvious on an ultrasound. We didn't find out until our 20 week ultrasound but all the tech did was put the wand on my belly and she immediately saw two. And I really haven't gained that much more weight, maybe 5-7 lbs more than the same point in my singleton pregnancies. My big indicator is that my fundus is measuring about 10cm ahead. I look like I should be giving birth any day now and I'm only 27 weeks.

As far as the twins running in families. Identical twins don't run in families they are isolated incidences. As far as fraternal twins it would be the women on your side of the family like your mom, sisters, grandmother, ect. that would influence your chances.

Katana - Full time student : and SAHM to 5 kids
Boy / Girl Twins born 5/5/2010!!!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

The whole time with the ultrasound i did have it felt like the baby was in my ribs but she never went above the belly button. Yeah my cousin in blood relative and it runs in the fathers side of the family and they are all idenical on both side of family. and my cousin is just turning 20 this year his gf is 18 they werent have treatments. i do know that a friend of mine didnt know she was having twins because it didnt show in the ultrasound because one was hiding behind the other the whole time.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter

also when they found out this one was a boy he wasnt being shy it was the first thing the lady saw he had hes legs spread wide open. lol. This is my 3rd kid i had 2 girls already thats y i dont understand the doctor told me i have gained too much weight for how far along i am. because i am 21wks and gained 21 pounds already and my blood test even said i was that far along so i dont know y i have gained twice as much weight than the first two times. I gained only 25 pounds and my kids are going to be 2 years apart. the doctor just said it is because it is my 3rd child and i am older. i;m 22 i had my first when i was 18 and then my youngest at 20 so how is it that i am older and third kid i dont understand that one. i dont gain weight on my own. when i am not pregnant i can eat whatever i want and not gain a pound even after my pregnancies i lost weight. i weight 115 b4 the 1st 1 and 106 afterwards (when i left the hospital) 106 b4 the 2nd 1 and 103 afterwards when leaving the hospital. Does anyone understand why i think its more than one this time.
Old 02-19-2010, 09:49 PM

it does NOT run on the fathers side. fraternal twins are a maternal thing. Only the mother can have the risk of it because they hyperovulate (release more than one egg at a time) All men release millions of sperm per shot so their side means nothing.

The identical twins do not run in families at all, so you don't actually have an increased chance. Everyone in the world has the same risk of identical twins, they happen randomly when a fertilized zygote splits in two.

And at 18 weeks even with twins one would not be up in your ribs.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

is it possible that one is hiding behind the other tho because i have read that one baby was hiding up in the ribs thats y the ultrasound didnt show it plus i have been watching pregnant shows to. i do alot of reading about pregnancies but this one im having now is just so different and i am gaining twice as much weight and i dont gain weight that is what i worry about.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyndalnronny View Post
is it possible that one is hiding behind the other tho because i have read that one baby was hiding up in the ribs thats y the ultrasound didnt show it plus i have been watching pregnant shows to. i do alot of reading about pregnancies but this one im having now is just so different and i am gaining twice as much weight and i dont gain weight that is what i worry about.
at 18 weeks, even with twins, as I said, one would not be up in the ribs. Even with twins, you do not go up that high that early. Heck, even with triplets I don't think you are that high that early.

And really its SO very rare to miss twins on an ultrasound.

It is totally normal to have a pregnancy completely different from your others. Especially as you get older (and yes, 22 is older than 18 or 20, so you ARE older even if not by much) and as you have more babies.

Really I doubt you have more than one in there.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter

actually its not as rare as you think to miss twins. I have read a few things online and seen on tv and my good friend is an example she had twins and didnt even know it untill the last tri. because one baby was hiding behind the other.
Old 02-20-2010, 12:42 AM

Just wanted to chime in for a moment... they're actually finding that identical twinning may have something to do with the father's side! Something to do with possible different proteins in the sperm, I think!

K, H, and baby E (who is now three!!!)
Old 02-20-2010, 05:30 PM

I think it's twins.

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

Old 02-20-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaerynPearl View Post
it does NOT run on the fathers side. fraternal twins are a maternal thing. Only the mother can have the risk of it because they hyperovulate (release more than one egg at a time) All men release millions of sperm per shot so their side means nothing.

The identical twins do not run in families at all, so you don't actually have an increased chance. Everyone in the world has the same risk of identical twins, they happen randomly when a fertilized zygote splits in two.

And at 18 weeks even with twins one would not be up in your ribs.
Well, that depends. If in my father's line there were fraternal twins, I would technically have a higher risk for them, since my father could pass on that gene to me.

However, unless the twining ran to the last common ancestor between you and your cousin, original poster, there's no way you could inherit it.

Identical twins, as has been mentioned, are a case of random mutation. It is not inheritable.

Fraternal twins are inheritable, but ONLY from a previous to you blood line. Meaning, if your great-grandma had twins, you have a higher 'risk'. If your cousin has twins, doesn't matter, because she could have gotten it from her side of the family that is unrelated to you.

As for u/s, it's difficult to miss a twin, unless it's an old crappy u/s machine. U/S pics up bones really clearly, and it's hard to miss 4 arms, kwim? However, if it's a fuzzy old machine, maybe, because it's harder to 'see' clearly.

As for your weight gain, relax! There's nothing you can do about it right now. In addition, you also have 2 young kids to run after! Not getting enough sleep increase weight gain in non-pregnant people, why not pregnant women too? Just focus on eating healthy, getting lots of fluid and regular movement. Pregnancy is a big hormonal deal, and your body has already gone through it twice. Maybe this time due to older age (4 years since first baby) and more responsibilities you gained a bit more.

Ami

Wife to dh, Mommy to my heavenly angel, J (06), and my earthly angels, S (07) and E (10)

Old 02-20-2010, 07:21 PM

Not finding a twin at the 18 week scan is possible, but it's very, very, very unlikely. If you're worried, just tell your provider at your next appointment, but this is a pretty common question that almost never turns out to be multiples.

I have a friend who had identical twins that weren't discovered at the 8 week scan, but it was pretty obvious when she had her nucal scan at 13 weeks. The only other person that I know who had twins unexpectedly didn't have any care during most of her pregnancy, so pretty much everyone was surprised when she showed up in labor and there were two babies!
Old 02-20-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
actually its not as rare as you think to miss twins. I have read a few things online and seen on tv and my good friend is an example she had twins and didnt even know it untill the last tri. because one baby was hiding behind the other.
Then why don't you go to one of those public US places and have it checked out? I'm not sure anyone here can answer it for you without seeing in your belly. LOL.

Michelle, Mama to ~ F (10/06) ~ S (7/08) ~ H (2/11) ~ B (11/12)
Expecting a surprise (5/15)
Old 02-21-2010, 01:13 AM

I think it's fun to wonder if there are two in there - I have to say that both I and my midwives have wondered for me due to measurements, etc. But there has always been just one healthy baby!! At 18 weeks after an u/s I would personally have my fears put to rest, but I would agree that if you can't help your mind from obsessing over it, go to a private U/S place so that you can have peace of mind.

Cindy, loving wife of 15 years
homeschooling mama to 4 wonderful girls, and 1 boy!  praying for #6, sch, due 4/14/2013!

Old 02-21-2010, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

I cant afford to go to another place to get checked I have medicaid and I only get one unless it is medically nessiary for me to have another one thats why I worry about one hiding behind the other because this baby is one active baby I feel him on one side and then the other right afterwards. My two girls the doctor I had had a us in the room the whole preg and she couldnt find out what they were until 2 weeks before I had them and that why I think well maybe they can hide if they are sneaky. Just because they are babys doesnt mean they arent smart. Everyone thinks its very very very rare that that would happen but actually it is not that uncommon if you do research you kinda learn that it is possible and that recently more women are having twins these days.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:
this baby is one active baby I feel him on one side and then the other right afterwards.
The story of my life right now - I feel like I am gestating an octopus. Either that or someone has wound her up like a top in there and she is just spinning merrily for 3/4 of the day.

Seriously, I get kicks and head bumps everywhere - my cervix, ribs, hip bones, sides - sometimes within minutes of each other. Now that I am a bit further along, the crazy movements I was feeling at 18 weeks make more sense- she is just one active baby that is a mover and a shaker extraordinaire! Now that she is getting bigger, I can feel her whole body rolling and shifting around and it is unreal.

This is baby #4 for me and I have never experienced anything like it before! For a while, I thought there must be twins in there too because of how active she was (and fraternal twins run on my mother's side - my younger brothers are fraternal twins and she has aunts that are fraternal twins as well!) Now that she is bigger, I just know that she is one crazy active baby.

Dissertating wife of Mr. Amazing Man, mother to Boo Bear ( ) Captain Knuckle (13), and The Professor (5). Expecting Penelope Rose 5/10/2010 via planned c/s.
Old 02-21-2010, 08:45 AM

Quote:
recently more women are having twins these days.
The overall increased rate of twinning is largely driven by two factors: (1) delayed maternal age - older women statistically have a higher chance of conceiving twins and (2) increased use of fertility drugs. If those two things are factored out of current data trends, the rate of natural twinning across the years is actually fairly constant.

Dissertating wife of Mr. Amazing Man, mother to Boo Bear ( ) Captain Knuckle (13), and The Professor (5). Expecting Penelope Rose 5/10/2010 via planned c/s.
Old 02-21-2010, 10:53 AM

Well, I've been an L&D nurse now for over a dozen years, and I stand by my comment that "surprise" twins do not happen all that often. Sure, an early scan might miss one, but it is EXCEPTIONALLY rare for twins to not be diagnosed by the midpoint anomaly scan, much less beyond. The only ones I've ever heard of getting to the third trimester or even labor before discovering the second baby were those women who had little to no prenatal care via the medical community during their pregnancy.

Could you be one of those rare women? Sure, I guess it's possible, but that doesn't mean finding a twin at this point is common in the slightest; it's not.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:21 PM

OP- I don't mean to sound rude, but I guess I'm a little confused as to why your so worried about this? It doesn't seem to me that your chances of having twins are increased at all. I can't find anywhere if you've answered how high your fundus is measuring. If it's measuring on track it would be even more rare (if not simply impossible) for you to be carrying twins. Gaining a little more weight this time around could easily be because this is your third. It could also just be because our bodies react differently to each pregnancy. One pregnancy won't mimic the other even in the same woman. The concensus here seems to be that everyone is telling you they don't think it is twins based on the information you've provided. Can we all be wrong? Of course. But again, it's just highly unlikely.

If the concern is worry, I can understand being a little nervous about it. But realistically you are only 18 weeks. If you plan on continuing regular prenatal care throughout your pregnancy, the chances of missing a twin go down even more. If your measuring 47 weeks when your only 37 your doctor will probably do another scan that would be covered by your insurance. I hate to say "just trust in your doctor" for most things, but in this case, there really is nothing left for you to do except to relax a bit and have faith that there is only one healthy baby in there.

From your posts it sounds to me like maybe your not scared about twins but maybe hoping for them? In that case, there is really never anything you can do short of fertility treatments to try for twins. Hoping won't make it so, and worrying won't make it go away if it is to be.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

Old 02-21-2010, 04:39 PM

Quote:
if you do research you kinda learn that it is possible and that recently more women are having twins these days.
The increasing rate of twins is caused by the increase of women having fertility treatments...not a natural anomaly.

Have you mentioned anything to your doctor about the possibility of twins?

I have 3 girls, this is my first boy...this pregnancy has been different from the other 3 all along, from everything to how/when I had morning sickness, to cravings, to weight gain, to how I'm carrying.

Women tend to get larger with subsequent pregnancies, the abdominal muscles have already been stretched, so give much more easily. "Only" being 22 doesn't mean much...you're still older than you were with your first and second, and every year we get older (even if it's still relatively young), our bodies change and respond to things like pregnancy differently than they have in the past.

jamie. crinkly (not quite crunchy) mama to 3 amazing little girls, an awesome little boy, and a baby girl making her debut at the end of this summer.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:20 AM

Mama! Every pregnancy is so very different! I'm also on my third, and things really feel different this time around. I understand worrying (and hoping!) that there might be two! There other other indicators of twins that I'm sure your provider will be watching for like a very high fundus, an extra hearbeat via doppler, palpating extra suspicious parts, LOL! If there are indications of a second, your provider can probably send you for a second, covered ultrasound. I know it's hard to relax and not focus on this sort of thing, but really, time will probably tell! Good luck!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 02-22-2010, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

I'm now 22 wks tomorrow I had the ultrasound at 18 wks. When I say one side then the other i mean 1 sec in between kicks and last night i felt a kick on the bladder and then a kick in the ribs again 1 sec later not a min or couple of mins but i say 1 sec i mean 1 sec I counted 1 mississippi and i didnt get throught mississsippi before the second kick. And my girls were exactly the same i gained the same amount of weight i was just as moody. The morning sickness was the same. No heartburn with either. I didnt really start feeling them until like 28 wks and thats when they started getting it to where I can see the kicks I started to be able to see kicks last week. at 21 wks. I have gained twice as much weight and I dont know any levels of whatever the fungus is. I dont even know what that is. I have never been told levels of anything. I just know that I only get one us with my medicaid and i cant get another unless i need it. the doctor told me i have gained too much weight already and i even told her i never changed my diet and i dont eat more than usual. She told me I still have to change my diet then because i need to not gain anymore right now. is 21 pounds to much because i gained only 25 total with both my girls and this is really my 4th preg. I lost my first. and I didnt even gain weight at all before I lost the baby then when I lost the baby at 13 wks. At 13 wks this time i had gained 10 pounds. The doctor said because of my history with pregs that i should have only gained 25 pounds the whole time. Because i gained so much she changed my diet and I have to exercise or stay in shape like she said. If I exercise it might send me into labor early wont it I never make it past 34 and a half wks. Im just confused. When the doctor told me I have gained to much and then someone said it could be twins and I have thought it could be but i dont know any of my levels to anything I have never been told with any of my doctors.

User Tag List