How to pass a fasting blood sugar test - Xposted - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-23-2010, 04:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well next week I'm going in for a blood draw to test for suspected hypothyroidism. The doctor also put down for me to have a fasting blood sugar test. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to get a 'good' result on that?

I have to fast from 12 midnight the night before and will be getting the blood draw at 9am the next morning. This is a fairly long time for me to fast as I'm pregnant and get very queasy if I don't eat first thing in the morning (and I sometimes wake up hungry in the middle of the night and grab a banana or something).

I really don't want to be labelled as having GD at this point, as I'm going to have enough of a struggle to get the HB I'm planning without any extra complications.

Would it help if I ate a big low GI meal at midnight? Or would it be better if I didn't eat for even longer than the 9 hour stretch? Will drinking water help? TIA

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-23-2010, 04:12 PM

Is there any way you can get your hands on a glucometer and start checking your own fasting levels at home? That might give you a better idea if you need to do anything to help you pass the test.

FWIW, almonds are supposed to help balance blood sugar. I have heard of women eating a small handful in the middle of the night to help lower their fasting blood sugar in the AM. I ate a bunch of them before my 1 hr. GTT to help me pass it.

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10
Old 02-23-2010, 05:57 PM

AutumnAir,

There's this little exercise that's been clinically proven to lower blood sugar in diabetics. I was diagnosed with GD my first pregnancy, then did this one in my second pregnancy and passed even the one hour.

A video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsURicKB_G8

Hope that helps!
Old 02-23-2010, 05:59 PM

Old 02-23-2010, 06:09 PM

OK, I know there are some people who don't believe GD is a real disease... but as somebody whose had insulin-dependent GD for three pregnancies, it is...and it has real consequences if not managed (especially if your numbers are high enough to require insulin/glyburide/etc.)

I don't think your goal should be to "pass" the test, but to determine whether or not you really have it--because if you do (insulin-dependent GD), you're facing very real increased risk of stillbirth and early placental deterioration. (I'm not so concerned about macrosomia...as I honestly think that's over managed with c-sections too much of the time.)

It's great to want a home birth. And there are midwives who will attend you if you have diet-controlled GD, but probably not insulin-controlled. Still, the real goal should be a healthy baby and healthy mama--not giving birth at home, if that at all compromises those things.

Having said all that, eat a high protein, high fat breakfast before the test. Eat normally the night before... neither too low carb, nor too high. Choose low-glycemic load carbs if you can. Drink plenty of water. Walk during the test if you can.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

Old 02-24-2010, 06:17 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas mamas! Those links look interesting, though I'm possibly one of the world's most uncoordinated people - I'll definitely give it a shot but I'm quite likely to fall on my @ss!

umsami - I'm not trying to avoid a diagnosis of GD if I truly have it (though I think that true GD would show up despite any small measures such as these) but I am trying to avoid a misdiagnosis of GD which apparently is fairly easy to do and which would label me high-risk for the rest of my pregnancy. I already get the feeling that the NHS are looking for any reason to 'get out of' having to let me have a HB, so as far as possible I need to have a textbook pregnancy. Because I'm overweight I also feel that if I get back a test with borderline blood sugars the doc is more likely to look at me and decide to put me down as GD, whereas if I were slimmer with the same borderline results he'd be more likely to put it down as a fluke and give me the all-clear, KWIM?

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10

User Tag List