Red Raspberry Leaf tea in 1st trimester? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-25-2010, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I've heard that it's safe/beneficial then I've heard that it's dangerous and can cause miscarriage. I've heard it can stop miscarriage too. What do I believe? I have a lb of it and I really want to use it, but I've been really crampy today...advice?

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#2 of 9 Old 02-25-2010, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had decided from the info I found that it was safe in moderation but I would only have a cup here and there, and was fairly paranoid about my herbal tea intake overall in that first trimester limiting or avoiding a lot of potentially miscarriage inducing things like licorice which seems to be in all the teas I had. I bought a lot of more pure single ingredient teas instead of the blends. I had a lot of period-like cramping and some pretty sharp round ligament pains in my first trimester and I think that's pretty normal and unless there's bleeding you are probably okay, sometimes the pain would be so bad it was like bad period cramps and I am now at 25 weeks.
#3 of 9 Old 02-25-2010, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by is it puppies? View Post
I had decided from the info I found that it was safe in moderation but I would only have a cup here and there,

I have a cup a day in first trimester of mothers brew, I found it helpful with morning sickness as well.

Likes a little crunch with occasional sogginess~Misty,Mama to L1, L2, L3, L4,L5 and Loving J!
#4 of 9 Old 04-18-2010, 04:11 PM

My MW said that RRL can actually help prevent miscarriages. I avoided it in my first trimester but now am drinking a really yummy blend of various herbs (for various things), the main ingedient being RRL. I'm 18 weeks and drinking 3-6 cups a day.

There's a difference between making it medicinal and making it just a beverage. To make a medicinal tea, you'll use 1 TABLESPOON of hebrs to 8 oz of water. To make a beverage cup, it's 1 TEASPOON. A HUGE difference. The tea bags you buy at the store of RRL are medicinal strength.

I know this is an old post, but I thought I'd give my 2 cents!!

~ Fe ~
Mama to C (3-25-06) and A (1-17-09) and Jameson Grant (9-25-10) my HBA2C baby!
#5 of 9 Old 04-19-2010, 02:07 PM

Here is what I just found about the RRL/miscarriage:

"NOTE: Some medical and popular media make reference to raspberry leaf tea as something to avoid during pregnancy for risk of miscarriage. This notion stems from a study conducted in 1954 where fractions were isolated from Rubus sp. and applied in vitro to the uterine tissues of guinea pigs and frogs. The scientists discovered such things as one fraction acted as a spasmolytic whereas another caused uterine contractions. Herein lies the risk of isolating the parts of a whole. When used as a whole plant, neither action is exacerbated and the herb is deemed safe. If a mother is prone to miscarriages she may feel safer avoiding raspberry until the third trimester. This is an herb with centuries of safe use behind it, there is usually little cause for concern."

Came from this website: http://www.motherandchildhealth.com/...raspberry.html
#6 of 9 Old 04-19-2010, 02:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurLittleNest View Post
Here is what I just found about the RRL/miscarriage:

Came from this website: http://www.motherandchildhealth.com/...raspberry.html
Thanks!! I feel safer already.

Single, student mama slingboy.gif to 3 boys jumpers.gif 

homeschool.gif saynovax.gif signcirc1.gif bfinfant.gif femalesling.GIF familybed2.gif h20homebirth.gif 

#7 of 9 Old 04-20-2010, 01:17 PM

I drank the tea starting about a week or two before the end of my first trimester, and had no problems.
When the placenta came out on its own, very easily, and my uterus tightened up quickly without assistance and whatnot, the nurse exclaimed, "You have an amazing uterus!!"
I smiled and told her I had a lot of red raspberry tea.
I will do the exact same thing with this pregnancy, but will probably start the tea sooner since I already know about it.
#8 of 9 Old 04-27-2010, 03:20 PM

i am on week 5, and started drinking red raspberry tea two days ago. I have people highly recommending it because of my morning sickness, and know... I am not so sure...

Grace, happily married DH. Nathan h20homebirth.gif12.22.10 familybed1.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#9 of 9 Old 04-29-2010, 04:12 PM

RRL DOES NOT cause contractions! It serves to "focus" contractions, when you have them.

My CNM encourages RRL right from the start.

Running, blogging, gardening, military mama... to Louisa Mae 9/2/09 and June Elizabeth 12/7/10. 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page