weird tingly/ nervy feelings in hands - 3rd trimester - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 02-27-2010, 07:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is a newer complaint. I'm almost 35 weeks, and just in the past few days I've noticed my hands doing something weird. Occasionally when I pick something up, or bend my wrist (on either hand) in a certain way, I feel a strange sensation throughout my wrists and hands and fingers - almost like I'm getting a tiny electric shock! I may not be describing it very well, because it's not really like anything I've had before.
They've also been going all numb and tingly and totally asleep when I'm sleeping at night - some nights I have to wake up 2-3 times to shake them awake. And after a shoot yesterday (I'm a photographer), I noticed some weird pains up and down my forearms and elbow area this morning - I think just sore muscles, but different feelings and places than I've had when not pregnant.
I'm not too worried about it, because the swelling I have had in my hands and feet/ ankles seems to fall under the normal category. Could this be a strange kind of carpal tunnel or other problem just due to regular pregnancy swelling? I'm not due to see my midwife for another week and a half and just want to make sure this is nothing out of the ordinary.
#2 of 12 Old 02-27-2010, 07:48 PM

It does sound like it could be carpal tunnel but I would get it checked out.
#3 of 12 Old 02-27-2010, 09:43 PM

Could be carpel tunnel constriction (a common late pregnancy thing)
But
It could also be a symptom of high blood pressure and or pre-eclampsia (both of which can show up suddenly and advance rapidly. I would call your provider to check it out.

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

#4 of 12 Old 02-27-2010, 10:11 PM

I would call the midwife to rule out pre-e. Otherwise I would see a chiropractor.

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
#5 of 12 Old 02-28-2010, 12:19 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks, ladies! I have been seeing a chiropractor but will mention this thing to her. As for pre-eclampsia, I'm pretty sure it's not - but then again, I don't know what it would feel like if it was. My BP has always been low, so I assume I would feel a change if it shot up - or feel otherwise "off" somehow - but, again, don't want to make assumptions...
I guess I'll call on Monday, otherwise they'll send me to L&D in the hospital over the weekend.
#6 of 12 Old 02-28-2010, 01:02 AM

FWIW I'm 37 weeks and noticed some twitching in my fingers a few weeks ago... when trying to fall asleep. Also had eye twitch in 3rd semester...

it went away after a week or so.
#7 of 12 Old 02-28-2010, 02:17 AM

Pregnancy-induced carpal tunnel is pretty common I think. I have been having a lot of tingly, pins and needles feeling in my left hand and arm since the first trimester and when I told my doctor about it, she was not concerned and said that was probably what it was.

Mama to DS (1/07) and waiting to meet #2 4/3/10
#8 of 12 Old 02-28-2010, 04:42 AM

I had this in my last pregnancy. The midwife said not to worry, that it was due to swelling (water and blood compressing the nerves), and that it would go away after I had my baby. Well, it did go away, but not immediately. I think I had tingly/numb sensations and even quite a bit of pain up my wrists and arms when I moved my thumbs until my baby was about 6 weeks old or so. Sometimes it was even difficult for me to pick him up without experiencing a lot of pain. But the tingly feeling and pain did finally go away completely. I hope yours will as well. I would think since it is pregnancy-induced that it would go away within weeks, or at worst months, of giving birth.
#9 of 12 Old 02-28-2010, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh7809 View Post
Thanks, ladies! I have been seeing a chiropractor but will mention this thing to her. As for pre-eclampsia, I'm pretty sure it's not - but then again, I don't know what it would feel like if it was. My BP has always been low, so I assume I would feel a change if it shot up - or feel otherwise "off" somehow - but, again, don't want to make assumptions...
I guess I'll call on Monday, otherwise they'll send me to L&D in the hospital over the weekend.
Actually, BP rises can be pretty silent. Mine almost doubled and I didn't notice a thing. Hopefully it's just one of those annoying late pregnancy things but best to get it checked.
#10 of 12 Old 02-28-2010, 09:03 PM - Thread Starter

Okay, even in the past 24 hours the hand stuff has become more and more clearly tingles and numbness that sound like my pregnancy book's description of carpal tunnel than anything. So that's a relief, but annoying (another month of this!). I will call tomorrow to see if they need me to come in and get my BP checked just in case, better safe than sorry. Or maybe I'll just get my BP checked at the drug store in that automatic arm cuff they have there
#11 of 12 Old 02-28-2010, 09:47 PM

I'd say carpel tunnel as well. I had it with my first - for about the last 6-8 weeks of my pregnancy, and then less so for the 3-4 weeks after giving birth. I had a friend who had it previously and gave me her braces to wear at night - eventually I wore them all the time. It was really annoying, but did go away.

Erika, mama to Sawyer 6/04 joy.gifand Gracie 7/10energy.gif  :, dw Amy:

treehugger.gifsaynovax.gifbfinfant.giffamilybed2.gifRainbow.gif

#12 of 12 Old 02-28-2010, 11:09 PM

I've had some numbness/buzzing in my hands and face recently, and after ruling out bloodpressure and glucose issues, yoga and chiropractic/cranial sacral has helped. The nerve in your hands runs up through your armpit, and increased breast tissue and fluid can impede on that nerve. Doing half dog, and shoulder stretches against a wall can ease some of the tingling.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page