Help! Induction tomorrow and now I am scared. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 02-28-2010, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't been fearful of labor until now. I am scheduled for an induction tomorrow at 5 (starting with cervadil) and just now I am getting scared. I haven't been fearful of labor at all until now. Please help me not be scared.

Mommy to Violet Kisori born 3/3/10
#2 of 13 Old 02-28-2010, 11:37 PM

Oh mama.

I think there is always some fear to be dealt with going into labor and knowing you are going to be induced makes it a sure deal.

Deep breaths.

Do you have any focus tools that you use to center? Any birth affirmations?
Do you have a doula you could call to talk to to?

Do you mind if I ask why you are being induced?
#3 of 13 Old 03-01-2010, 12:04 AM

Being induced (with DD1) and not being induced (with DD2) were very similar experiences for me, so try not to worry that an induction has to be scary.

That being said, I still wish I hadn't consented to the induction, and I wish I had just stayed home from the hospital that day and not allowed myself to be bullied into it. For me, there was no medical reason to do it. Your induction may well have valid reasons and medical need. You don't have to explain that here if you don't want to.
#4 of 13 Old 03-01-2010, 01:36 AM

just focus on the fact that when it's all over, you'll have that sweet baby in your arms. good luck to you, mama!!

Chelsea, Christian, Wife to Trey, Mommy to Oliver (11/3/2005), Abner (5/01/2008) and Baby #3 ( Due 9/27/2010)
#5 of 13 Old 03-01-2010, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

I have gestational diabetes (insulin dependent) and that is why I need to be induced. I trust my doctor on this and I am not being bullied or coerced into it. I've never had a baby before and I am just scared. I was hoping all week last week I'd go into labor and wasn't fearful. I guess because I know it is going to happen (most likely tomorrow....just cervadil tonight) I am nervous.

Mommy to Violet Kisori born 3/3/10
#6 of 13 Old 03-01-2010, 11:14 AM

I was induced with cervadil and went on to have a very smooth, unmedicated hospital waterbirth. I know now that it was unnecessary, but it did turn out fine. I do feel I was in the very early stages of labor already, though. I think my cervix was ripe and ready to go. My contractions were very manageable, I didn't even know I was having some of them. Water broke, into the tub, 2 hours (!) of pushing and out she came. Best wishes and good luck to you.

Happy wife of Treading.gif  mom to L lady.gif and Mjog.gif

#7 of 13 Old 03-01-2010, 11:18 AM

I had my first baby in December after an induction, and am also a high-risk mama. His birth was a beautiful, peaceful, empowering experience. I also was afraid going into it. In retrospect I think that was mostly due to fear of the unknown and of not being in control. It *was* unknown territory, and there *was* a lot of giving up control just inherent in the birth process. But the flip side of the unknown was a valuable new experience, and of loss of control was being really in tune with my body while being totally absorbed in the birth process. I also want to say that in my experience the fear was much less as things unfolded. In the moment, there was nothing to do but be in it, but the waiting/anticipating beforehand was hard!

Good luck to you, mama, and peace as you prepare for your little one's birth.
#8 of 13 Old 03-01-2010, 01:40 PM

My first baby was an induction. It is kind of nerve-wracking waiting for that Cervadil to kick in but other than that I had a fairly smooth vaginal delivery. Once you are really in labor those fears go away and you just concentrate on the task at hand. Do you have a DH or SO that will be their with you? Or a close friend or family member for support? That really helped me having that. Good luck mama, even with induction our bodies know what to do.

Crunchy Christian Wife and Mommy to awesome DH and DD1 (4/25/07) and DD2 (8/13/10)
#9 of 13 Old 03-01-2010, 04:23 PM

My first was an induction, too. I didn't have cervical gel, but they broke my water and put me on Pitocin. I had a largely intervention-free vaginal birth in less than 12 hrs. I won't have one this time, but I am not high-risk. What helped me was having the people there--my husband, my doula, my mom, and my wonderful nurses.

GL! I am sending you lots of warm wishes for tomorrow.

Crunchy mama to my beans (11/06 and 6/04): and with DH since '02. Expected a May flower and got a June bug!
#10 of 13 Old 03-01-2010, 05:29 PM

My labor with dd (now 3) was induced. It actually went fairly smoothly, I had a lot of helpful nurses and dh was pretty good too. I did a lot of deep breathing during rough spots and dh & I spent time cracking jokes and stuff (probably out of nervousness and worry too) during the beginning hours of the induction. The whole experience will be surprising but, for me, it came and went in waves that allowed me to handle it better. You'll do great - lots of luck for you.
#11 of 13 Old 03-01-2010, 05:30 PM

I hope you have someones hand to hold! Lots of breathing. Think of a message that resonates with you that you can say inside you head to help remind you to be as relaxed as you can, such as "I an calm and strong". And take comfort items with you, like your own clothing or your slippers, or pillows. Things that are soft and remind you of home can help to make the experience less emotionally taxing.

Thinking of you Good luck
#12 of 13 Old 03-01-2010, 06:28 PM

Im going on baby #3 and I am only 12 weeks (tomorrow)

Yet... I am STILL nervous about delivery.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#13 of 13 Old 03-01-2010, 09:41 PM

Sri, I will be thinking of you tomorrow and sending smooth and manageable labor vibes. Breath by breath. Think low and calm. You can do this.

Proud Mama to Liam Greenleaf 5/31/10

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page