Lower back cramps/pressure on cervix--- preterm labor warning signs?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-05-2010, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I should open by saying that the only reason pre-term labor is even on my radar is that I've been very sick with a stomach bug this week. (I was hospitalized last Sunday and required 3 bags of IV fluids to get rehydrated and get contractions to stop.) I'm still struggling to keep down food and and fluids and I've lost around 10 lbs. I know dehydration can trigger pre-term labor - and I have no other risk factors for it whatsoever.

I've had contractions here and there today. Most are painless. They aren't super frequent, just random. But what concerns me is that I have a lot of pressure on my cervix and lower back pain. This lower back pain has sent me running to the bathroom a dozen times today, thinking I was having a #2 emergency (but I didn't). So it feels like that kind of cramping. Today is the first day I've felt that all pregnancy.

I just want a reality check/reassurances here. Can the lower back cramping be normal third trimester stuff? (I'm almost 34 weeks). What about the pressure on my cervix? I remember that a bit from my first pregnancy, so this "symptom" worries me less... but I'd like to hear other third tri mamas say their baby is weighing heavily on their crotch as well.

Thanks!!!

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.
#2 of 4 Old 03-05-2010, 10:31 PM

In that circumstance, I would call your care provider and ask what they think. I had contractions triggered by dehydration that did eventually lead to a preterm birth, but there were other complications as well, so it wasn't quite the same situation. Still, having had a couple of early babies, I would err on the side of caution.
#3 of 4 Old 03-06-2010, 12:34 AM

My babies weigh heavily on me...I feel like everything is trying to push out of me...and this time I actually had a mild prolapsed cervix from lifting things (um ,like toddler). And that feels heavy or pressure as well (with lower back stuff). I also get contrax from stress as my adrenals are fatigued. It could be stress related. Neither the stress contrax nor prolapsed cervix have caused any lasting harm or labor complications, preterm, ect. But I don't have the illness either. It doesn't hurt to talk it over with your hcp, if only to calm your concerns. Vitamin C, b's (esp b12) and magnesium are all great for adrenal stress/stress induced contrax. HTH!

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#4 of 4 Old 03-06-2010, 05:24 PM

I would definately call your provider just to check. In the meantime, beacuse you have been sooo sick for sooo long your electrolite&salts balance may be off still and may be contributing to your discomfort. Do you have any epsom salts you could take a bath in? The magnasium can be absorbed through your skin.

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page