Glucose Test - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 03-09-2010, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I haven't posted in a while! So here we go!

I've been having a wonderful pregnancy. No health problems, no issues, feeling the baby just fine and I'm one healthy lady.

I have been booked for a one hour glucose test where I have to drink the sugar stuff and then they draw blood. This is not something I'm interested in doing.

The question is: do I really need to have this test done? Have other mom's, pregnant ladies out there refused this test? What are the pros and cons of this test?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 31 Old 03-09-2010, 01:23 PM

I opted out. Last time I was pregnant I did it and it was negative. I just feel very confident that this is a test I can skip. Other then my grandfather who does have type 2 diabetes everyone in my family is very healthy. He was an alchoholic and his diet is terrible. One of my midwives didn't even bat an eyelash when I opted out. The other was fine with it but I could tell she thought I should do it. They test for glucose in my urine every two weeks and it has always been very negative. My baby is measuring spot on like DD and my diet is pretty healthy. Yes I do have sweets here and there but the staples of my diet and very healthy.

I posted a similar question in my DDC and several women were also opting out.

Me: Shannon (33) mom to DD Everly born May 9, 2007 and Maisie born May 26
: : :
#3 of 31 Old 03-09-2010, 01:24 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I personally don't have a problem with it. I've had it done with all my pregnancies and it wasn't a big deal for me. It's pretty non-invasive, and while it's a higher concentration of sugar than I'd normally consume, there's no evidence that it poses a risk to the baby (afaik). Generally GD can be controlled by diet, which is why many women already eating a very healthy diet don't feel the need to take the test. But, occasionally some women do need insulin, and my diet isn't as healthy as it could be. So for me, I prefer to take it.
#4 of 31 Old 03-09-2010, 01:24 PM

Oh, I should add that diabetes does run in my family.
#5 of 31 Old 03-09-2010, 02:09 PM

Diabetes does not run in my family and I eat a relatively healthy diet and exercise, yet I've had insulin-dependent GD for 3 pregnancies. IMHO, yes, there's a small chance that you may have GD, but if you do...and especially if it's insulin dependent... you need to know. You can't tell GD by looking at somebody, by their weight, or diet. I know plenty of thin people with no family history who have insulin-dependent GD. It's caused by the growing size of the placenta leading to increased insulin resistance. Beside macrosomia, there's an increased risk of stillbirth after 39 weeks, as well as early placental deterioration. I'll also add that I never spilled glucose in my urine.

Chances are you do not have it... but to me, the risks to the baby if you do have it are such that it's worth drinking some yucky goo and giving a bit of blood.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#6 of 31 Old 03-09-2010, 06:36 PM

i too am trying to decide if i should do it or not. leaning towards doing the test. our mw's will let you drink welch's grape juice instead of the yucky orange stuff, for what that's worth. might be worth asking about an alternative like that....

married to DH for 5 yrs, ds born at home 6/26/10
#7 of 31 Old 03-09-2010, 07:16 PM

I did mine last night (I really didn't want to but it was easier to do it than fight it) and it wasn't that bad- I hope I pass though because I don't want to have to sit in a dirty boring lab for 3 hours if I fail and have to re-take. The drink tasted like inky orange pop. I think it would have been fine without so much food colouring. I do eat a fair bit of sugary stuff regularly, and it didn't make me feel gross, which kind of surprised me after everything I've read. I did make sure to eat a couple of hard boiled eggs and some almonds before my 1-hour cut off before hand and that made me feel really full which probably helped me to not get the sugar shakes.
#8 of 31 Old 03-09-2010, 07:37 PM

I've never been close to having GD in any pregnancy and doubt I ever will. That said, I have never declined the GTT. It makes me feel fairly icky, although this time my OB has you drink a regular caffeine free pepsi or coke or a sprite instead of glucola.
I see it as a 'pick my battles' situation. I'd rather save my 'veto' for something(s) that is really important to me instead of being contrary over every little thing. I do get that to some women the GTT is not a 'little thing', to me it is. I dislike confrontation, really dislike it, and prefer to only enter into it when I must, for me the GTT isn't a must.

Karen, homeschooling Catholic mom to 8. #9 due 6/10
#9 of 31 Old 03-09-2010, 08:29 PM

My midwives do a real-food test instead of the gross drink version (real breakfast of 2 eggs, toast, glass of milk and one of OJ), which I was happy with since these foods are close enough to what I generally eat. And because I ate at home, I didn't have to sit at the lab for an hour. I just went there about 50 minutes after I ate for the blood draw and then left. Maybe this is an option for you, too. Good luck!

Lovin' my four-pack: M, S, a different M, and sleepytime.gif me.

#10 of 31 Old 03-10-2010, 01:36 PM

I didn't like doing them ... especially the last time ... I felt very shaky and jittery and anxious. The nurse told me that was normal but maybe it had to do with what I had for breakfast. Not sure. I've never had it and would like to avoid the test next time or at least do a real food version but I doubt the OB would go for it.
#11 of 31 Old 03-10-2010, 01:53 PM

I'm skipping it. I took the test with my last 2 pregnancies and was negative. If I come up with more risk factors, I'll consider it.

Live and love with your whole being.
#12 of 31 Old 03-10-2010, 04:11 PM

I chose not to do it. We did the "finger-prick" test instead after a normal meal. I don't have any risk factors. The biggest thing that stuck out to me was that my midwife said that the diabetes ranges they use are based on non-pregnant women. So we don't really know what is "normal" for women who are pregnant. In this age of false-positives for all things pregnant, I decided not to add it to my list of worries.....

Momma to born April 18, 2010!
#13 of 31 Old 03-10-2010, 06:10 PM

I get incredibly ill when I do the 1 hour test. I have blood sugar issues (low, actually) so fasting and then pouring a bunch of sugar in makes me sick for days afterward. 11 years ago, they didn't require it. With ds, I did it and passed. With dd2, I did it and the number was "a little higher than [stupid OB that I fired soon afterward because of this] didn't like the looks of." She had adopted the lower GTT number. In lieu of the 3 hour test, I did finger pricking for a couple weeks. She still wasn't convinced, since I was bad at getting fastings and would take a sip of soda prior to getting up to settle my stomach. I switched to an AWESOME OB who said my numbers looked fine and told me not to worry. I'm back with her this time.

What the wonderful OB "let" me do this time was to have my blood drawn for a Ha1C test (3 month blood sugar number) early on. I will do finger pricks for about 2 weeks, some fastings and some 1 hour after meals, around 26 weeks. I will also do another Ha1C test then. My first one was 4.6, which is pretty darn low.

I know it's something I usually kind of blow off, but I really do think it's important to make sure you don't have GD. It can really cause a lot of problems for the baby. My OB did give me the option of eating a certain number of regular jelly beans, but it's not so much the yicky drink but how the amount of sugar makes me feel.

Tiffany, loving wife to Matt, Mommy to Samantha (10/99), Tevin (8/04), Cadence (6/08) and babymooning with our sweet little Lauren 6/24/10
#14 of 31 Old 03-10-2010, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco_Hikes View Post
My midwives do a real-food test instead of the gross drink version (real breakfast of 2 eggs, toast, glass of milk and one of OJ), which I was happy with since these foods are close enough to what I generally eat. And because I ate at home, I didn't have to sit at the lab for an hour. I just went there about 50 minutes after I ate for the blood draw and then left. Maybe this is an option for you, too. Good luck!
I wish I could do that. I thought I had it easy because I get to eat jelly beans instead of the glucose drink.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#15 of 31 Old 03-10-2010, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffanoodle View Post
My OB did give me the option of eating a certain number of regular jelly beans, but it's not so much the yicky drink but how the amount of sugar makes me feel.
Yeah, I felt a bit sick after the jelly beans, too. Sad, really, because I love jelly beans, but I don't usually eat 20 in 2 minutes.

Amy (34): mommy to DD1 (11/07) and DD2 (7/10), wife, wohm, and wannabe suburban homesteader.
#16 of 31 Old 03-13-2010, 05:57 PM

Did anyone else not do the GD test with their 1st pregnancy. My DH and I have decided we are probably not doing this test. My OB didn't seem very upset when I told her I wasn't sure about doing it. I did ask if they offer anything other than the Glucola stuff. She said no She said that even if I had GD they would just put me on a strict low-sugar diet. Since I'm already following Brewer and take in very little sugar she was not worried. Anyways.... We don't really see the need to take this test and we try to be pretty natural. 50g of sugar seems like it would be a huge shock to my body and not a very good show of how I react to my "normal, healthy" meals. Anyone else out there, or any other opinions on the subject?

Wifey to my DH 9/2005 and always busy SAHM  to my beautiful boys  twins.gif   Elijah 12/2008 and Caeleb 6/2010
Our baby girl  stork-girl.gif is arriving October 2012!!!

#17 of 31 Old 03-13-2010, 07:08 PM

The U.K. National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE) recommends testing based on risk factors, not universal screening as OB/GYNs typically do in the U.S.

NICE guidelines state risk factors as: having a very overweight BMI, a previous macrosomic baby, previous gestational diabetes, family or personal history of diabetes and a place of origin with a high prevalence of diabetes.

http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/inde...n=byID&o=11947

intactivist.gif  ribbonpb.gif RN student, bellycast.gif birth doula since 2006
#18 of 31 Old 03-13-2010, 07:24 PM

I have known several women diagnosed with GD. Of the four three exercised regularly, were at healthy weights and ate healthy diets while pregnant. None had a history or family history. GD is an odd one and not as clear cut as type II diabetes. You can be seemingly healthy and have it. For that reason, imo, it's such a minor test and not really not worth the risk to skip. Foe the one hour you don't have to fast and that helps a lot. My body is definitely not used to the bolus of sugar. ick.
#19 of 31 Old 03-14-2010, 12:46 AM

with both pgs I took the one hr test & made sure I kept moving after ingesting the stuff to help burn off the sug.

Anyway, both times I failed. This last time it was by 2pts. I didnt actually verbally refuse the longer test, I just never scheduled it. Instead I went to the drug store & got a cheap diabetes test kit & took readings upon waking & 1 hr after eating for 7 - 10dys.

It was a PIA, but the drs had no prob with it at all.

Wife of 10 yrs to Oaties, Mama to Bubs 08/06/08, Rizie 04/19/10 & MRae 02/02/13 & to dog2.gif

#20 of 31 Old 03-14-2010, 01:30 AM

I agree that GD can be serious and can be undiagnosed in seemingly healthy people with no risk factors. But why not just test in a more realistic way? How about a few pre and post-meal tests, or an Ha1C (I'm not sure if that's what it is called)? That seems to make more sense to me...

Anyone know why the don't do this instead of the glucose drink?

I declined the test with DD and will also decline it with this pregnancy, but only because I can easily test my CBG at work (RN, hospital, lots of glucometers available). If I didn't have access to this method, I'd just request that my midwives fill out a few requisitions for blood tests for fasting blood glucose and after meals.

A + J = Miriam (November 2006) and Raymond (June 2010)
#21 of 31 Old 03-19-2010, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all your replies! I called my midwives and asked about not taking the stuff they give me, but do a real meal substitution and they said that was perfect! So I think I'll do that instead. Thanks again so much!
#22 of 31 Old 03-19-2010, 12:14 PM

I have refused the test.

It has been offered to me because 1). My son was huge (10 and a half pounds - it wasn't offerd to me during his pregnancy though) and 2). This baby is also measuring pretty large.

Both pregnancies I have only ever had a bit of sugar present in my urine once - all other urine checks check out fine! (and those things are natoriously innacurate - there could be countless reason there is sugar present in your urine that does not indicate something like Gestational Diabetes).

The glucose test makes no sense to me. Its nasty to start off with. It can make you feel pretty crappy for a few days - so I am told. 'Here - we think you might have GD...drink glucose!' ...Does that sound healthy to you at all? Its not like you would normally sit around drinking that stuff - or having glucose in such large amounts in any day anyhow!

Yes - GD can be pretty serious. But in all honesty - IF you did have GD, the only thing they could do about that is make sure you are eating right to keep it at bay. So why not just make sure you are eating right already? If sugar clearly is not presenting a problem for you (havn't detected it in your urine, not measuring huge for dates, etc)...then have a few more treats if you wish! lol If it is - just be vigilant about eating right (low carbs, high protein, no processed sugars, low GI, small meals often, etc) - Its very rare that eating right alone would pose a problem to even those with GD (meaning that they rely on insuline)...and there will be other indicating factors with that before something like a glucose test.

I feel the glucose test can just be another tool they can use against you - slap a lable on you and proceed to pull you downhill from there. Avoid it at all costs.

Because I have already had a large baby I can assume that either 1). I am prone to GD or 2). I just make large babies. It is more possibly the latter because my diet with my DS was crap - he turned out huge...I have had a GD diet regardless with this baby because of DS size and this baby is still looking pretty darn large! Either way - I choose to eat healthy. How much of a difference that will make on my babies size - who knows! At least both babe and I are pretty healthy so far!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#23 of 31 Old 08-30-2012, 04:53 AM

I'm 24 weeks.  I'll be 35 years old next month, and this is my first baby. My next scheduled appointment is for the glucose test.  After finding out that I'll have to have 50 grams of sugar on an empty stomach, I have no interest in doing this.  I barely ever eat sweets, I don't drink soda, and on the rare occasions that I do, I react badly (seriously, if I drink a whole glass of Sprite, I get terrible jitters nearly to the point of delusion, and I throw up).  I know this will make me really sick.  I cook all my own food, and exercise regularly.  I REALLY don't want to take this test and be sick for two days. However, since it's my first baby, I'm worried that I'll be doing something wrong if I opt out.  There is also no way I can eat a gigantic breakfast or 20 jelly beans -- that's just not how I eat.  If I tried too eat a breakfast that big, I would probably throw up immediately.  The jelly bean thing would just make me ill, as well.  I'm really wondering how any of these options are relevant to the way my body processes food?  I'm skinny (well, except for baby), I'm not a big eater, and I don't eat sweets.  

Ugh.  

#24 of 31 Old 08-30-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lactavia View Post

Thanks for all your replies! I called my midwives and asked about not taking the stuff they give me, but do a real meal substitution and they said that was perfect! So I think I'll do that instead. Thanks again so much!
Sounds like a great compromise, I think I will suggest that to my OB next time and see what she thinks. The icky orange drink was ok for me, gross but didn't give me the shakes or anything, but I did make sure to each some solid protein/fat as close to it as allowed. I did decide to do this one since the risks are basically nil and I know I can take a bunch of sugar without much issue and to detect something like GD that they don't really know much about risk factors, it made sense to me to do. It helped that my OB just let me take the drink ~50 minutes before the appointment and not sit around bored for an hour at their office.

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

#25 of 31 Old 08-30-2012, 01:53 PM

I have a theory that people who eat really well may actually fail the 1 hour GTT more often because their body isn't used to all the sugar.  I don't like the idea that I work so hard to eat well and then the doctor makes me fast and then consume a massive amount of sugar just to see if everything is okay.  There is always the option of monitoring your own blood sugar if you don't want to take the test.

#26 of 31 Old 08-30-2012, 03:24 PM

I skipped it with DD, but won't this time. I learned after the fact just how serious GD can be, and that you can't always tell without the test if you've got it or not. 

According to NIH resources, fitting even one of the following criteria puts you at "average risk" for GD:

• I have a parent, brother, or sister with diabetes.
  • I am African American, American Indian, Asian American, Hispanic/Latino, or Pacific Islander.
  • I am 25 years old or older.
  • I am overweight.
  • I have had gestational diabetes before, or I have given birth to at least one baby weighing more than 9 pounds.
  • I have been told that I have "prediabetes," a condition in which blood glucose levels are higher than normal, but not yet high enough for a diagnosis of diabetes. Other names for it are "impaired glucose tolerance" and "impaired fasting glucose."

It then goes on to say that if you're "low risk," you doctor may skip testing. Though other sources I've read insist everyone should be tested.

With it being such a safe test, I'm happy to take it, even if it is gross and more sugar than I would typically want to eat at once. lol.gif

reading.gif <--Me, IronMammaries  mischievous.gif <--Med-student DPenergy.gif<--DD (12/08) &  baby.gif <--DS 4/13

1**pos.gif5***heartbeat.gif10****15**B*20***25***30***35**** stork-boy.gif

.....BFP.........HB Heard.........BOY!......................................... 

#27 of 31 Old 08-31-2012, 12:01 PM

I've skipped it with both pregnancies. I have no risk factors so felt comfortable opting out of that one. I give this answer as a pregnant woman NOT as a Doula.

Mommy, Wife, Birth Doula, Breastfeeding Counsellor. 

bftoddler.gifpos.gif

#28 of 31 Old 08-31-2012, 12:33 PM

It's definitely not a requirement :) I personally do it just for the peace of mind, but if you are happy, healthy, and confident, you definitely have the right to refuse it!

Wife to DH dh_malesling.GIF(12.10.2009), Anchorage based doula joy.gif, Proud mama to Autumnblahblah.gif (09.03.2008), Sylas bouncy.gif(04.25.2010), angel1.gif(06.11.2012), Callioperainbow1284.gif(04.23.2013)

#29 of 31 Old 09-02-2012, 09:12 AM

For my first son I did the real food version and passed with flying colors. With DS2 my midwife did an Ha1C blood test instead, as she said it was more accurate at telling how your body is reacting to the actual way you eat. Again I passed with flying colors. My midwife did also comment that the women who do eat healthy pregnancy diets are more likely to fail with glucola since they are not used to processing sudden large amounts of glucose.

I have risk factors, as my mum was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes just a year ago. I am over weight and I am now 40. Yet I had no issues with my previous pregnancies, even though I grow larger babies (DS1 8lb7oz & DS2 9lb8oz) so I am not concerned for this new pregnancy. I will probably just stick to the Brewer's Pregnancy Diet and then get the Ha1C again this time.

Lynslingboy.gif, wife to Robtrekkie.gif & Mamma to angel.gif "Moredcai" 12wks July 09, Aiden(6/1/10)banana.gif and Seth(9/7/11)babyf.gif hbac.gif  New blessing Megan(5/9/13)hearts.gifuc.jpg

#30 of 31 Old 09-02-2012, 06:33 PM

Lynann, that sounds like a really good way to handle it. I wonder if my midwives will offer different options for testing instead of just the shake. I'd much rather just let someone stab me with a needle and take some blood than down a nasty shake.

reading.gif <--Me, IronMammaries  mischievous.gif <--Med-student DPenergy.gif<--DD (12/08) &  baby.gif <--DS 4/13

1**pos.gif5***heartbeat.gif10****15**B*20***25***30***35**** stork-boy.gif

.....BFP.........HB Heard.........BOY!......................................... 

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page