2010 Gestational Diabetes Support Thread - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 201 Old 04-25-2010, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What I don't understand is that during pregnancy they want a fasting glucose level (at least my HCP does) of <95 but not pregnant anything under 100 is good.

My levels have been really good this week, I had one REALLY bad PP number of like 140something but that was an anomoly. I am hoping this trend keeps up.

I tend to agree with whomever said that the fasting number is the most important, because our PP numbers are very much indicative of what we are eating, but our fasting numbers we only have so much control over.

I hope I am not faced with insulin any time soon, but I do have it in the back of my head that it will probably be something that I will face again. I will take it as soon as she tells me I have to, I just feel like if something bad happens and I don't take it, I will blame myself.

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 of 201 Old 04-25-2010, 02:14 PM

I seem to remember reading that women's blood glucose levels are normally about 20-30 points lower when they're pregnant vs. non-pregnant so that's where the difference comes from. I know that as this is my fourth time pregnant with diabetes, I've steadily seen the target numbers (especially fasting) come down. With DS1, under 100 is O.K., but under 95 was ideal. Now, my endocrinologist wants under 90.

Mom to DS(8), DS(6), DD(4), and DS(1).  "Kids do as well as they can."

#63 of 201 Old 04-26-2010, 06:20 PM

I just noticed that Darlingricki74 was scheduled to have her baby on the 23rd. Does anyone have any updates? Just curious how her and the little one are fairing. Also, how big the babe was considering she was measuring ahead.

Bubblette- Congrats on getting your home birth. I went through something similar with my first. When I found out I GD my midwife was unsure if she'd keep me. After she saw my numbers were under control she said it was fine to proceed with my HB.

Question - How much weight do you typically gain while pregnant? I tend to gain a lot of weight 40 pounds or so and I'm not sure if it's due to my sugars or if its cause I just gain weight. I always worry about how much I gain because of all the emphasis put on big babies and GD. With my son I gained 40 pounds and he was 8.5 pounds. Looks like I'll gain about the same with this one. So far I'm 25 weeks and I've gained 22 pounds so far. Any one have any thoughts or read anything about this?
#64 of 201 Old 04-26-2010, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixnux View Post
Question - How much weight do you typically gain while pregnant? I tend to gain a lot of weight 40 pounds or so and I'm not sure if it's due to my sugars or if its cause I just gain weight. I always worry about how much I gain because of all the emphasis put on big babies and GD. With my son I gained 40 pounds and he was 8.5 pounds. Looks like I'll gain about the same with this one. So far I'm 25 weeks and I've gained 22 pounds so far. Any one have any thoughts or read anything about this?
With my 1st with GD... managed with insulin... I gained 55 pounds.

With my 2nd with GD... managed with glyburide... I gained 30 pounds.

With my 3rd with GD... managed with glyburide.. I gained 20 pounds.

The thing is, I gave birth at the same weight for all three.

Now, with this baby (#4), I'm on metformin and NPH insulin at night. I'm 22 weeks and have gained 4.5 pounds. I read that metformin leads to lower weight gain than insulin.... but I'm shocked that I've gained so little. Everything looks good in terms of baby's growth, though. For me to deliver at the same weight as the others, I'd have to gain 50 pounds. Hopefully, that will not happen!

#65 of 201 Old 04-26-2010, 08:28 PM

Darlingricki74 said she'd update us over on the May ddc as soon as she could. She hoped toe be home Monday- so we should all hear sometime soon! I'm really excited for her.

This is my first, I've gained about 21-22 lbs at 35 weeks. We'll see where I am when the baby comes. I've only been managing since 31 weeks mind you! I think as long as your sugars are under control you'd tend to gain what your body needs to/wants to... but that's just my gut reaction.
#66 of 201 Old 04-26-2010, 09:30 PM

umsami - How big were your babies when they were born?

I hear of women who gain 60 pounds and have a 6 pound baby. I just don't think that with my sugar issues even if under control my baby would be that small. I'm probably over thinking and stressing everything.

Bubblette - I only gained 25 with my first one and she was 7 pounds. I started managing about the same time as you and didn't gain another pound until the last week of the pregnancy. I did eat exceedingly strictly not even the recommended carbs to keep numbers under control. My dietician was so not helpful and now that I'm on my third I've figured out the right balance for me so I'm gaining more and not dying of starvation. Sorry, I'm rambling and did I in NO way mean that you were eating to strictly and not gaining enough. Sounds like you are doing very well and should have a nice sized healthy baby.
#67 of 201 Old 04-26-2010, 11:04 PM

Quote:
umsami - How big were your babies when they were born?

I hear of women who gain 60 pounds and have a 6 pound baby. I just don't think that with my sugar issues even if under control my baby would be that small. I'm probably over thinking and stressing everything.
It's weird. My babies have been the reverse of the amount I gained.

#1 was 8 pounds something (I want to say 7 oz.)

#2 and #3 were both 9-1/2 pounds.

Now, I'm noticing major differences with their weights as they age. DS#1, insulin, smallest baby.. has always had a satiety problem. He was exclusively breastfed for the first 7 months... and would eat to the point of throwing up. Nursed for 2 years...and still would overeat to the point that he vomits. Does that even today s an almost 7 year old--although less frequently. He's been in the 95th percentile for weight since he was maybe 4-5 months old.

DS#2 and DD#1...glyburide babies...both over 9-1/2 pounds... average to skinny. Much better self-control/regulation when it comes to food. Can take or leave sweets...whereas DS1 can't leave any food... be it salad or sweets.

#68 of 201 Old 04-27-2010, 02:13 AM

Darlingricki74 had her baby!! Adriana Max is here
#69 of 201 Old 04-28-2010, 02:18 AM

Yes, my baby was born Saturday(an easy delivery after a long hard labor!) She was only 5lbs 15oz, the last u/s on Tuesday before she was born had put her at 6lbs 4oz. So not too far off. I was huge though, measuring 46cm, but it was from the excess amniotic fluid, not baby! LOL All the info-birth story, pics, etc., is on May ddc.

Stupid question...what is your sugar supposed to be when not pregnant? They were checking my glucose in the hospital, and the nurses said they weren't bad when they did them, and they had me on the regular diet able to choose whatever I wanted, not the restricted diet, and did not have me on insulin once I had given birth, so I guess they were ok... I was just curious as to what they should be for the diabetes to be considered gone. Whenever they took them in the hospital(fasting numbers in the morning) they were still about what they had been while I was pregnant, mostly just a bit over 100.

Ricki (36) wife to R (35), mommy to 6 year old DS and baby girl born April 24, 2010
#70 of 201 Old 04-28-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darlingricki74 View Post
Stupid question...what is your sugar supposed to be when not pregnant? They were checking my glucose in the hospital, and the nurses said they weren't bad when they did them, and they had me on the regular diet able to choose whatever I wanted, not the restricted diet, and did not have me on insulin once I had given birth, so I guess they were ok... I was just curious as to what they should be for the diabetes to be considered gone. Whenever they took them in the hospital(fasting numbers in the morning) they were still about what they had been while I was pregnant, mostly just a bit over 100.
Congratulations on your little girl.

Typically, below 100 means you're not diabetic or insulin-impaired... but it can take a few weeks for everything to go back to normal. If you were just slightly over 100, then I wouldn't worry. Your OB will probably want you to take a 2 hour GTT about 6-8 weeks after birth, just to check on things, though.

Over 126 fasting is type 2. In between that is considered insulin impaired/resistant. Some docs will put you on metformin as a preventative if you're in that range--but it really depends. I know my endo does not like to put Moms on anything who are nursing unless absolutely necessary.

#71 of 201 Old 04-29-2010, 07:00 PM

Darlingricki74 - Congrats on the new baby!! I hope things are going well and you are eating whatever you want without worrying. I've also heard that it can take a little while for your body to readjust to normal sugars. Honestly, I've never tested once I've had the babies.
#72 of 201 Old 05-03-2010, 11:55 PM

Darlingricki74 - OMG congrats mama!!!!!!!

I feel so bad that come here every few weeks and do a drive-by post, but I don't even have time to reply to daily emails so I guess I'll just have to post and run and try not to feel guilty about it...

So... I've had GD for about a month now and this is how its gone:

Week 2: went on 2.5mg of glyburide at morning & another 2.5 at night.
Week 3: Upped my evening meds to 5.0
Week 4: I'm having to cut out at least an entire carb exchange from both lunch and dinner in order to make my target numbers.

I had a growth ultrasound today - this baby is measuring literally 3 weeks larger than it should. spoke to the nurses and my perinatologist about my food and how I've been cutting out carbs to make my numbers. Nurse suggested going straight to insulin, Dr said for the next 3 days, eat my meals as written by the nutritionist so she can see what my true numbers are, and then a judgment call will be made at that point.

I'm 3 months away from having this baby and this is what I'm dealing with already. I'm tired of just eating protein and veggies at every meal, tired of having to chase every carb with some cheese, tired of keeping track of everything and having such limited food options. I'm scared of going on insulin because I'm needle-phobic, too. I try so hard to keep my numbers down and yet I feel like a failure. And it's such a ton of work, too! I don't know how I keep up with it all...

Well, sorry this turned into more of a vent than anything else.. Thanks for listening - hope you all are doing well!

Heather (40) DH (41) Georgia Mae b. 9/3/08, Charlotte Grace 7/17/10.
#73 of 201 Old 05-04-2010, 10:52 AM

Honestly, insulin isn't so bad, and you'll probably be much happier. Usually, it doesn't hurt at all. The needles are very short...and very high gauge (thinner).... thinner than the lancets. I inject in my thighs...and it rarely if ever hurts.

The thing you have to overcome is the "ohmygosh I'm about to stick a needle in myself".... but your doctor will have you work with a CDE who is very very good at teaching you how. After the first few times, it probably won't bother you at all. Really truly. I did insulin with my first and now insulin with this one (#4)...and glyburide in between. I've had much better control with insulin.

#74 of 201 Old 05-04-2010, 03:35 PM

Quote:

Ninux - I don't *necessarily* think there's a definite correlation, but I'm just basing that on my own experience. I literally gained nothing until maybe the last 2 weeks, when I gained maybe 6lbs. My DD was 8.14 and I was 28lbs lighter 6 days after having her (was in hospital for 5 days/c-section). With this one, I'm almost 27 weeks and have lost about 6lbs, and this baby is measuring 3 WEEKS ahead (can't tell you how many times I heard u/s techs, nurses and one perinatologist say "this is a REALLY big baby" y'day).

Quote:
Originally Posted by umsami
Honestly, insulin isn't so bad, and you'll probably be much happier. Usually, it doesn't hurt at all. The needles are very short...and very high gauge (thinner).... thinner than the lancets. I inject in my thighs...and it rarely if ever hurts.

The thing you have to overcome is the "ohmygosh I'm about to stick a needle in myself".... but your doctor will have you work with a CDE who is very very good at teaching you how. After the first few times, it probably won't bother you at all. Really truly. I did insulin with my first and now insulin with this one (#4)...and glyburide in between. I've had much better control with insulin.
Thanks so much for the pep talk, I really need it. I guess I'm just scared because this pregnancy is sooooo much different from my first, and this one is kicking my @#$...lol. I'll know by the end of the week if I go on insulin now or wait - will let you know!

#75 of 201 Old 05-04-2010, 08:41 PM

Headmeister,
I really sounds like insulin is the way to go for you. Just think, it'll let you eat a more varied diet too! Also, remember those 3rd tri ultrasounds can be 2 pounds wrong in either direction. That's not to say your bub isn't big, but there is no way of knowing HOW big YKWIM? did the baby's growth look synchronous? Good luck Mama.
#76 of 201 Old 05-04-2010, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblette View Post
Headmeister,
I really sounds like insulin is the way to go for you. Just think, it'll let you eat a more varied diet too! Also, remember those 3rd tri ultrasounds can be 2 pounds wrong in either direction. That's not to say your bub isn't big, but there is no way of knowing HOW big YKWIM? did the baby's growth look synchronous? Good luck Mama.
Hi Bubblette!

When you say 'synchronous', I'm not sure I completely understand. What I *can* tell you is that 3 (may have been 4 now that I think of it) weeks ago, the baby was measuring only 1 week ahead. But now it's 2w5d ahead??? At my last ultrasound with my DD, they said she was measuring 8.14 - and 2 weeks later, that's what she was born at! So know the numbers can be off, but to be 3 months ahead and have them tell me that this kid is THAT big already just simply scares the life out of me.

You're completely right on the varied diet - that's my biggest issue right now and what I most want to change. I don't want to make it so I can eat just any old thing and be ok... I just want to stop eating 90% protein and veg. For example, today I had a sandwich of 4oz of ham, 1tbsp of mayonnaise, on low carb bread (2 slices are 22g of carbs). My intention was to have a little something else with it but it was a hectic day and I just didn't get to. My 2-hour post meal number was 127. THAT is what I'm talking about - I can't have more than 1 carb exchange at any meal or I go over. At dinner I'm allowed 4 carbs total but if I eat more than two, my number goes over 120. Life is very dull when all you can have is 1/2 a cup of rice with a meal...lol.

I also wanted to add that they did a hemoglobin A1C test on me to see where my sugar levels were pre-GD diagnosis. don't have the results yet - will post them as soon as I fnd out. In addition to that, I've lost about 6lbs now and while the scale isn't going down rapidly, I'm still able to button my regular non-maternity pants around the widest par of my belly - and if you saw me and saw my HUGE belly, that information would be shocking to you...lol. Actually, I'm so big, many people who aren't aware of my due date think I've only got a month left at most. So to have my clothes fit at this point is another indication that I'm losing weight, as the same thing happened with my DD and with that pregnancy I was almost 30lbs lighter wen I got home from the hospital (30lbs lighter than the day I conceived, that is...)

I'm hoping to know by the end of the week what the deal is. My Dr said that they could always increase my glyburide, but that it's not an exact science and can't be tailored to each meal like insulin can. If it turns out I'll be better off on the insulin, I'll do it... I won't be happy about it, but I'll do it...lol.

#77 of 201 Old 05-05-2010, 09:37 AM

Hi Headmeister!
Synchronous means the baby is growing proportionally all over whereas asynchronous means one or 2 measurements are significantly bigger or smaller than the others. A "big" baby is fine most of us can give birth to bigger babies with no problem, as long as we're not stuck on our backs. What they're really worried about is shoulder dystocia. The problem with GD, again from my understanding, is that the "big" babies due to too much sugar don't grow big all over. They grow bigger through the torso that they should for the rest of their bodies, so if the belly measurement of the baby is large, but the femur and the head measurements are normal you're looking at a baby with an increased risk for shoulder dystocia. Did that clarify??

I'd be going nuts with your restrictions too!! I hope everything gets worked out quickly for you and the rest of your pregnancy is smooth.
#78 of 201 Old 05-05-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblette View Post
Hi Headmeister!
Synchronous means the baby is growing proportionally all over whereas asynchronous means one or 2 measurements are significantly bigger or smaller than the others. A "big" baby is fine most of us can give birth to bigger babies with no problem, as long as we're not stuck on our backs. What they're really worried about is shoulder dystocia. The problem with GD, again from my understanding, is that the "big" babies due to too much sugar don't grow big all over. They grow bigger through the torso that they should for the rest of their bodies, so if the belly measurement of the baby is large, but the femur and the head measurements are normal you're looking at a baby with an increased risk for shoulder dystocia. Did that clarify??

I'd be going nuts with your restrictions too!! I hope everything gets worked out quickly for you and the rest of your pregnancy is smooth.
Hey there! Thanks for the explanation - I totally get it now...lol. Yeah, they just said "big all over". My hubby was a 12lb baby so it's totally possible...lol. However I'm a scheduled c-section (first was a c-section) so I'm not too worried about baby-size, though at only 8.14 they still had to use a vacuum to get my DD out of me because her head was so big, they couldn't get their hands in there to yank her out! lol! I can still remember hearing them say "wow, big head!" lol...

I'm still having a hard time getting in my carbs. I'm actually afraid to eat them and afraid to make my numbers elevate, even though they want to see what my numbers are on a regular GD diet. It's gonna take me a while to even try to add more carbs - I just couldn't do it y'day. I know it sounds ridiculous, but I guess it's a mental thing....

#79 of 201 Old 05-05-2010, 01:33 PM

Headmeister-
Your GD sounds exactly what I went through with my first. I was diagnosed at 28 weeks and didn't gain another pound until the last week. Once a week I had a break down cause I was tired of the same foods and the person helping me with my diabetes would say things like your allowed 45 grams of carbs for lunch why did you only eat one piece of bread with your sandwich. My response was cause if I eat more I go over 120. Also, I was starving for half of the pregnancy.

My recommendation is a 15 minute brisk walk after a meal. Helps tremendously!! Also, I know you are busy and seriously sick of thinking about and preparing food. Trust me I get it! But...I recommend adding more fat it helps slow down the digestion and also some raw veggies. Celery with ranch or hummus, cucumber, salad, anything to add fiber to again slow digestion which slows the release of sugars into the blood. Now that I'm on my third I realized that I wasn't eating very balanced the first time. Fats, protein, fiber and healthy carbs are crucial. Of course you know eat lots of meat protein. I get the frozen chicken tenders (w/out breading) in a bag and can throw them straight in the pan. I add them on salad or eat them with brown rice with some kind of prepared sauce. Even frozen shrimp can cook in 5 minutes and has tons of protein.

I know that these suggestions aren't a fix for everyone just what worked for me. You are not alone in this because many of us have been right where you are. Hang in there and if insulin becomes a reality for you then it will at least free you up to eat more food.

Good luck Mama!! I feel for you because I remember all to well!!!
#80 of 201 Old 06-03-2010, 06:14 PM

Does anyone ever have a super random fasting blood sugar level? they have been consistently in the 80s and 90s YAY ME! But today it was 45. That's really really low. I am emailing my endo with my numbers tomorrow and I might even call her, but just wondering if that ever happens to anyone else...

#81 of 201 Old 06-05-2010, 02:10 PM

Hi all! I am very happy to have found this thread! I am being concidered borderline but this last week has given me some really odd numbers so I think it is getting worse. I have about 10 weeks to go so I am hoping I can get it under control. I am vegetarian which has given me an issue with getting pure protien sources when I need them. I also need to get more exercise but it is getting really hot now so it is getting harder. I am also finding that if I can get a good number after breakfast the rest of my day goes much smoother. Anyone else notice this?

I can't wait to read through the rest of the thread & soak in all the helpful info.

Cheryl, wife to an amazing man, homeschooling SAHM to Gavin 12/03, Rhys 09/06, and Ian Aug 11, 2010.

#82 of 201 Old 06-11-2010, 01:22 AM

I haven't been here in ages. Truth be told, didn't want to focus on my GD any more than already do with all the meal planning, etc. Long story short, They upped my glyburide 4 times until I was finally on 7.5 2x/day - and it still isn't working. I was brought in to the dr's today to be shown how to inject myself with insulin and tonight I spent over an hour trying to get the courage to stick myself, crying the whole time. I simply can't do it, and I won't do it. They need to find a better oral med I can take, period. I'm just totally done and I don't care anymore. You can't take a needle phobic person and ask them to pierce their own skin 5x/day - it's inhumane. There has to be another answer...

#83 of 201 Old 06-14-2010, 01:53 PM

I just got the call from my Dr. that "I deffinatly have GD"

Kind of shocked as I'm a healthy athletic 24 year old and just went from "normal" to "high risk". They told me they are faxing all my info to the hospital and to call there today to make an appointment with the diabetes specialest. I'm only 4'1'0 and 140 lbs. I started the pregancy about 20lbs over wieght, but in good shape dispite that (I do martial arts). I've only gained about 5lbs, since getting pregnant, which my dr. siad was just fine as my body fat was dropping. I also think I was losing musicle due to not working out as much.

I'm 26 weeks EDD 9.17.10 and apparently my numbers were really high. I nearly passed out during the first hour and could barely walk. They had to walk me to a bed, to lie down the whole first hour. The scond hour I went back to the waiting room and snuck outside to walk and get some phone calls done. The third hour I mostly sat around as it was raining outide. I didn't think to ask for my exact numbers, but I will.

I'm worried they will want to do more interventions than they otherwise would have... Even though I planned a hospital birth I still want to go natural and want to avoid a c-section at all costs. They are already saying I need to come in for fetal monitoring once a week every week starting at 34 weeks, I'm worried that alone will cause me to be induced early. Not to mention almost no drs. let you go to 42 weeks with GD. My mom got to 42 weeks with BOTH her pregnancies, and my sister got induced at 42 weeks as well, so it looks like I'll go long too.

My diet hasn't been that great, so I'm up for changing it. I'm really really hoping that changing my diet will get the numbers down to normal.... just a little freaked out that this very healthy pregnacy just got classified as "high risk"

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
#84 of 201 Old 06-14-2010, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Hi all!

I haven't been here for a while and saw the thread pop up this morning and figured it was time for a check in.

Maciascl Welcome! I've been borderline as well. Exercise is a huge help for my numbers as well as a cinnamon/gymnema supplement. I am not vegetarian, but two eggs and two pieces of whole grain toast in the morning really help me out a ton. Do you eat eggs?

Headmeister . What a huge huge bummer and how annoyingly awful! Where are your numbers with the glyburide? Are they borderline or just simply not cutting it? I am so sorry .

sk8boarder15welcome! If I were you, I'd get the numbers from the Dr. that will help you understand where you are and where to go from here. The fact that you are generally pretty active and healthy is a huge help. I'm sure with a little tweaking here and there and maybe some herbal help you can get it under control. good luck!

AFM, here I am at 38.5. I scraped by passing the 1 hour test, but I did pass!!!! whoo hoo! And ultrasounds are showing me having a totally average sized babe. So we are good to go with a normal, hopefully on time, homebirth. Much better news than the 11lb babe that was 3 weeks late last time.

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#85 of 201 Old 06-15-2010, 06:15 PM

I found out that my numbers weren't that high!! Today I also met with a dietician who thinks I should easily be able to bring my numbers down!! Feeling much better than yesterday. Tonight I have to actually go get a monitor and I'm supposed to test after dinner tonight, then 4 times a day from now on (not looking forward to that, but I can handle 3 months). I am excited to start eating better and see those numbers come down.

#86 of 201 Old 06-16-2010, 11:30 AM

So after dinner last night, eating the exact amount of carbs my Dr. told me to (45), I crashed. My two hour test was 65! I felt shaky and tired. So I drank a glas of juice (18) and my numbers an hour after that were almost 90. So I went over my night time snack limit before bed. I ate 40 instead of 30, and my fasting number was 73.

What do you think of that? Do you think the dr. is giving me too few carbs?

I'm gonna try to follow the plan today, but with some extras prepared in case I crash again, and see what happens.

#87 of 201 Old 06-16-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8boarder15 View Post
So after dinner last night, eating the exact amount of carbs my Dr. told me to (45), I crashed. My two hour test was 65! I felt shaky and tired. So I drank a glas of juice (18) and my numbers an hour after that were almost 90. So I went over my night time snack limit before bed. I ate 40 instead of 30, and my fasting number was 73.

What do you think of that? Do you think the dr. is giving me too few carbs?

I'm gonna try to follow the plan today, but with some extras prepared in case I crash again, and see what happens.
I think you aren't eating enough carbs. I would slowly increase them seeing what your numbers are doing, you will eventually find a good balance Good luck!!

As for me I am so p'od today. I had my 30 weeks appt with my OB and she decided for today to be the day she would lay it all on me.

I met with my endo last week and she told me that I DO NOT have GD this time. That she expects the rest of the pregnancy to be smooth sailing. So I was on air. So happy. I have been working hard to make sure my numbers don't go up, and that way even if I did have GD (in other words even if I would have failed the 3 HR GTT) it wouldn't show with my numbers therefore I wouldn't be labeled as high risk and I wouldn't "have" to be induce, and I would "have" to have continuous monitoring, and I would "have" to have a restricted diet in the hospital... Well the OB tells me today that no matter what she considers me GD even though the endo disagrees, that it will be written on my chart, that unless I have the baby BEFORE my due date I will be induced, I will have continuous monitoring, that she can't promise delayed cord clamping or that DH can catch the baby because of blood sugar issues, and that she might be "too big" (even though last pregnancy I was insulin dependent had an induction son was born at 38w5d and he was only 7lb4ounces). I will be on a limited diet at the hospital before the baby is born, her sugar WILL be tested right after she's born, all this regardless of the fact that my sugars have been FINE the entire time I have been pregnant.

I feel so deflated. I feel like there is no point in going to my hypnobirthing classes anymore, like there's no point in working so hard to stay off insulin, if I am going to be treated the same as I was last time what's the point?

I now scheduled a meet and greet with a midwives group a couple hours away they deliver at a great hospital though the drive would be a bit far.... The only catch is if I get placed on insulin they won't see me anymore so I will have to be EXTREMELY careful. But I just don't want this birth to be so medicinized. And I think it's unfair that she is treating me as such.

#88 of 201 Old 06-17-2010, 09:54 AM - Thread Starter

Rlandnl, . how frustrating!

I think your hunch to search out a new option is great. This OB sounds pretty wacked out on the whole GD thing. Besides just the midwives group a couple of hours away, are there other OBs you might be able to consider? Don't get me wrong, I'm planning a HB and am all for midwives, I'm just thinking if you decide you want closer care. The OB you are working with now just sounds super intervention happy. There has to be someone better than that around, right?

GOOD LUCK!!!

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#89 of 201 Old 06-22-2010, 07:45 AM

Hey I'm looking to revive this thread, or maybe if it doesn't work I'll get a new one going in a few weeks!

I'm pg w/#7 and my last 2 pgs I had GD- so needless to say I'll probably have it again w/this one! BUT I am trying to be proactive with it and have already started cutting grains (done to one serving a day) and will be watching fruit and dairy carbs at around 12 weeks- I think I'll also start testing my blood sugars around then too. Sugars are already basically out since I was changing my whole style of eating before hand!

I've got some great low carb and no carb reciepes to share too- if anyones interested. Back when I was on here in early '09 we had a great GD reciepe thread!

Kind of glanced over the most recent posts and I'm hoping that there are still GD mamas out there here!

note: GD history- pg 1 (w/GD) controlled with diet till water broke early at 34 weeks, gained less thatn 10lbs the whole pg, lo weighed in at 5lbs 11oz. PG 2 (w/GD) refused insulin but got ok to use Glyburide (was on the lowest dosage possible for length of PG)- was at -1lb at birth, lo weighed 7lbs 110z. (My biggest babes were w/o GD at 8lbs 12 oz and 8lbs 10oz!) I know not everything works the same for everyone but I found great support here in this thread last time around and hope to offer that now along w/my exp!
#90 of 201 Old 06-22-2010, 07:54 AM

subing!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page