2010 Gestational Diabetes Support Thread - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-23-2010, 09:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! Just a few things I wanted to respond to-

sk8boarder15- When you test you're fasting are you testing right when you get up or little while later? Have you noticed a difference in what time you test? For ex. w/me when I got up early and tested (say 5:30am) my results were always higher then if I got up even at 6 am. Also has anyone mentioned try a high protein snack in the middle of the night- yeah I know it'd suck to wake to just eat a handful of nuts or something but I've known others that this really helped keep their fasting #s low.

All of mine (and I've got 6, 2 w/GD) had some jaundice so I don't think of it as a "GD" thing.

Tribord- The only test they did on my 2 los was for hypoglycemia- which as a pp said it a heel stick and they only tested them twice after birth and once the next day.

Monarchgrrl- theory: there is still some carbs in protein foods and your crashing (blood sugar wise) before you eat and then the little bit of carbs you do get sends your blood sugar soaring! This happened a lot to me last time because I was trying to cheat and keep my numbers low- but it back fired on me. What I'm finding this time is to eat a consistant amount of carbs all through out the day- like up to 2 servings when I eat. And there are also lots of foods that send my sugars up- mostly starches and grains. I'm not having any issues w/fruit or dairy yet (fingers crossed). So maybe try adding a small fruit or dairy serving to your mostly protein meal.

I'm w/a new clinic this pg and am going to refuse the 1hr test, still debating on the 3 hr since they can locate better when my sugars can go wonky after eating- ie pancreas (sp?) is slow on the intake but does work fine when it gets going. But who knows- hopefully they'll be fine w/me just testing on my own.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2010, 12:32 AM

I wait to test, probably about a half hour or so. I went out and got both cinnamon and chromium today. I took a cinnamon with dinner, but the smell of the chromium was horrid, so I haven't taken it yet.

Does anyone know about how long it takes either of these to have any effect? At the health food store they said a lot of people have had really good results with it...o just only have till Tuesday. I had a protein shake late last night and got an 87 this morning! So I'm gonna do that again tonight and see if it works again.

- Mom to Baby Mark (9/18/10) and 4 wonderful dogs!
Old 07-24-2010, 12:50 AM

I don't know much about the other (natural remedies) as no one really talked about them but when I found out about this baby I Googled it and got some interesting results. Just my notes to myself:

-you need 6gm of cinnamon daily to have any effect (I'm not sure how much that really would be in real life though) You said you got some- did you get prefilled capsules or some way of measuring it out?

- Chromium Picolinate (dietary supplement) in pg 30 mcg are safe most multi- vits already have this amount in them. Food sources- Brewer's yeast 60mcg, American cheese 45 mcg, PB 41 mcg

-Zinc supplements (no dosage info) food sources pecans, alonds, chicken- all good foods for GD diets

- and the last and this has not been tested on pg women but used widely in Indian diets Salacia Oblongs 1000mg (I was going to look into this more if I came down to last resort measures)

But the protien shake before dinner sounds like a good idea- let me know how it works over the next few days.

Oh did anyone know that like when dieting for weight loss our bodies get used to foods and thigns like blood sugars can start to go up naturally from it- so it's a good idea to keep lots of variety in your diet and "shock" your system from time to time! Just found that out last time!
Old 07-24-2010, 01:01 AM

I got capsules of cinnamon and chromium. So it's easily measurable.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:45 AM

fairymom I continue to take the 3g of cinnamon daily as I did before pg, 1g with each meal. The studies I found got best results with 3g. I encapsulate my own so it's not accurately measured. Cinnamon makes a huge difference.

I also take 400 mcg GTF chromium. That's the amount I've seen recommended to be therapeutic.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 07-24-2010, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonStarFalling View Post
fairymom I continue to take the 3g of cinnamon daily as I did before pg, 1g with each meal. The studies I found got best results with 3g. I encapsulate my own so it's not accurately measured. Cinnamon makes a huge difference.

I also take 400 mcg GTF chromium. That's the amount I've seen recommended to be therapeutic.

How do you measure it out? Or how do you know apox what 3g looks like? I have no clue how to even begin doing this and am really interested in trying it this time around- anything I can do to stay off meds and control w/diet & exercise is my goal!
Old 07-24-2010, 11:03 AM

Hey everyone! I've appreciated all the information. My midwives offer the choice of the one hour or tracking for three days fasting and one hour postprandial. I had one very low reading, so we decided to keep tracking for a while. So after tracking for a few weeks, I'm consistently running slightly high fasting numbers, around 95 to 99, and my one hour postprandial is only a few points higher, no matter what I eat, it seems to hover around 105. I've never got a reading about 110, at any time of the day, except when I drank a glass of fabulous micro-brewed root beer at 10:00pm and then tested at bedtime, LOL I was at 124. The midwives are satisfied with my numbers and have told me not to worry, we're declaring the one low number a fluke and I'm not hypo like the worried or GD.

However, I donated a kidney in 2006, so I'm particularly worried about potential kidney damage, as I only have one. And I have a history of babies just shy of 9lbs and this baby has been breech the entire pregnancy. If I'm considering a breech birth, size would really matter. Any thoughts here?

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

Old 07-24-2010, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairymom View Post
How do you measure it out? Or how do you know apox what 3g looks like? I have no clue how to even begin doing this and am really interested in trying it this time around- anything I can do to stay off meds and control w/diet & exercise is my goal!
According to the manufacturer each "0" size capsule will hold 400 mg - 800 mg depending on how dense you pack it. Each "00" capsule will hold 550 mg - 1,100 mg.

Homeschooling mom of two plus baby R born December 16 love.gif
Old 07-24-2010, 02:31 PM

Just joining in. I'm 31 weeks today and just got my 3 hour test results back - big fail. I haven't talked to my midwife yet, so not idea on what all of this means or how we'll proceed, but just sitting here feeling a little bummed and wanted to get started trying to make things right.

Wife to Brian , mother to Xander 10/26/05 and new squishy, Claire 9/26/10 .
Old 07-24-2010, 08:33 PM

Ambyrkatt- Don't get done on yourself there's nothing you did wrong! It's all hormones. {{hugs}}
Old 07-26-2010, 10:49 PM

Ambyrkatt - so sorry you failed your test. If you want to get start eat lots of protein, exercise as you can and eat healthy carbs. I hope that you are able to control it with diet and avoid meds.

I have never tried the cinnamon. I'm very curious as to how it works out for you. Please keep us updated and how much it helps exactly. Does it give you more freedom to eat more carbs or does it keep fasting levels lower? Totally curious about this.

Well, ladies I have 11 days left until my due date. Already going shopping and not caring about what I buy. Trying to get some food stocked up that's easy to prepare for when baby arrives. I've been eating horribly lately cause I'm just at the point where I don't care anymore. Well, I do but you know what I mean. I've been at this since 20 weeks and feels like eternity! So glad the end is in sight.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:23 AM

Well it seems nothing is working...I'm taking the cinnamon, and have tried different combos of protein, and carbs before bed, but my fasting numbers are steadily rising... I feel like I've failed somehow, but I've done everything I could. I see the dr. tomorrow and I will probably start on meds. With only 8 weeks left these will be the only meds I've taken, besides tums and supplements.

Old 07-27-2010, 03:41 PM

So I went in today, my fasting numbers STILL on the rise and she percribed 5mg glyburide to be taken with dinner. She thinks one does will help a lot. Shes worried about the baby getting too big... as I'm already measuring a tad large (not enough to worry at this point) she doesn't want to wait anymore. I'll be 33 weeks on friday, so I'm glad I was able to make it this far drug free. My main ObGyn is very supportive of a natural birth and still is, but she said, that starting the glyburide today and coming for monitoring at the end of the pregnancy, will help reassure her that a natural birth is possible.

Old 07-27-2010, 04:49 PM

Well, I got my glucose meter and supplies and am scheduled to take a class for GD on Friday. Have an appt with the OB in two weeks and will discuss sugars and whether or not I can continue with the midwife or not. It doesn't really matter in the end, though, because I have Kaiser and who you see during your pregnancy isn't who you get during labor/delivery.

Checked fasting sugar this morning after doing nothing special last night and it was 86. Had peanut butter toast and decaf coffee with cream for breakfast and 1 hour later checked and got 146.

Wasn't really able to get too much information on how I should be eating from the patient educator that called me, though. She said they would go over it all in the class and that she didn't want to give me carb counts but that I should think about portions instead. So... I'm just going to try to stick to the numbers I've seen people mention online. 30-45 at each meal and 15 at snacks and then just see where that puts my numbers.

She did say one thing that I thought was odd... has anyone else been told this? Do not eat any fruit or milk/yogurt before noon because that's when your pregnancy hormones are highest and those items are more likely to spike your blood sugars in the morning? I'm thinking of eating some yogurt or fruit with my PB toast tomorrow just to see if it's true.

Old 07-27-2010, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambyrkatt View Post
She did say one thing that I thought was odd... has anyone else been told this? Do not eat any fruit or milk/yogurt before noon because that's when your pregnancy hormones are highest and those items are more likely to spike your blood sugars in the morning? I'm thinking of eating some yogurt or fruit with my PB toast tomorrow just to see if it's true.
I was told no fruit or juice before noon for that exact reason and never cereal... it held true for last pregnancy this time when I don't "technically" have GD though I would suspect I would fail a 3 hour test I just know "how" to eat to keep my numbers down, morning doesn't matter so much I usually eat a bowl of cereal every morning and the highest it's been 2 hours post meal is 110 usually in the 90s.... the other day I ate a protein bar and a peach and it was 87 so go figure

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
Old 07-27-2010, 06:34 PM

I was also told no cereal, but since I never eat it anyway, it wasn't a big deal. Honestly, from what I have read so far, I think the biggest change I will have to make to my diet is that I will have to eat more often (and maybe more food?). I don't normally snack and have spent most of this pregnancy not very hungry. I have no cravings and I have only gained 4 lbs, if that says anything about my appetite.

Old 07-27-2010, 06:43 PM

Quote:
I was also told no cereal, but since I never eat it anyway, it wasn't a big deal. Honestly, from what I have read so far, I think the biggest change I will have to make to my diet is that I will have to eat more often (and maybe more food?). I don't normally snack and have spent most of this pregnancy not very hungry. I have no cravings and I have only gained 4 lbs, if that says anything about my appetite.
first i wish i could kick my cereal habit... i have tried but it's the only thing that doesn't make me sick in the mornings....

2nd love your son's name... my son is Alexander, but we have always called him Xander

Nicki wife to Rich, Mama to 7 y/o DS, and a beautiful Princess Aug 2010
Old 07-27-2010, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlandnl View Post
first i wish i could kick my cereal habit... i have tried but it's the only thing that doesn't make me sick in the mornings....

2nd love your son's name... my son is Alexander, but we have always called him Xander
Thanks! Actually, my son's name is Alexander, too. We've been calling him Xander since the beginning.

As for cereal, I wonder if this is insulin related, but I have never really been able to eat a bowl of cereal with milk without feeling very sleepy & sluggish afterwards.

Old 07-28-2010, 01:44 AM

Ambyrkatt -
Yep, mornings are the hardest and then gets a little easier as the day goes on. I eat the greek yogurt which is much higher in protein and has lower carbs. You could probably eat that with some berries and sweetened with Stevia and not get much of a rise. I do well with mixed berries not raising my blood sugar to much. Good luck on this GD journey. I find when I'm eating well and balanced that I feel good on the diet. Hopefully you will too.

sk8boarder15 - I hope the medicine works out for you. Maybe it will give you a little more flexibility in your eating as well.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:03 AM

Hi all,

I just bought some cinnamon extract capsules, but am now seeing online that they might not be safe during pregnancy.
Any thoughts? I'm thinking it's the standard language to avoid law suits, but am not sure.

Thanks, Megan
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-28-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8boarder15 View Post
So I went in today, my fasting numbers STILL on the rise and she percribed 5mg glyburide to be taken with dinner. She thinks one does will help a lot. Shes worried about the baby getting too big... as I'm already measuring a tad large (not enough to worry at this point) she doesn't want to wait anymore. I'll be 33 weeks on friday, so I'm glad I was able to make it this far drug free. My main ObGyn is very supportive of a natural birth and still is, but she said, that starting the glyburide today and coming for monitoring at the end of the pregnancy, will help reassure her that a natural birth is possible.
I took glyburide in my last pg- but why did she start so high a dose I wonder? They do have 2.5 (the smallest dose). I was able to take that from about 32 wks on and maintain my blood sugar. Also I do warn about the "monitoring" at the end- it'll be a weekly US and maybe even NST weekly, and that gets old quickly. I was able to push off the NST completely and only had 2 USs at the end- but all my measurements looked good. Placenta, growth (they thought he'd be a lb bigger than he was but he only came in at 7 lb 11oz and I too was measuring "big" like a week or two ahead) and water levels.

Oh I wanted to add I was able to continue to see the MWs and not to switch to a Dr. on glyburide but they didn't let you go past 39 wks on the meds. So I was induced at 39 wks.

Quote:
Wasn't really able to get too much information on how I should be eating from the patient educator that called me, though. She said they would go over it all in the class and that she didn't want to give me carb counts but that I should think about portions instead. So... I'm just going to try to stick to the numbers I've seen people mention online. 30-45 at each meal and 15 at snacks and then just see where that puts my numbers.

Carb count I bet will equal carb portion levels. Like knowing what a real portion size is and how many portions to eat. I was told in each pg that breakfast should only be 2 carb servings (30 grms) and 3 snacks/day 2 carb servings ea. Lunch and din were 3-4 carb servings. The more carbs in take in in the morning the more your body asborbs through out the day is what I've been told- hence why you eat less in the am.

The only things I was told to avoid was juice and soda. Never dairy or fruit in the am. One of my fave breakfasts was/is yogurt w/almonds. Both are higher in protien and my body doesn't seem to have issues w/dairy carbs. And PB toast got real old real fast. As for cereal I was told never for breakfast- but ok for a snack, since it doesn't have a lot of nutrional value and a portion size including the milk carb is so small.

I have always kept my carb intake low and really made sure my protien intake was high, because the higher I kept it the lower my blood sugars stayed. And I've found my "trigger" foods- grains and straches, I really have to watch those as they send my blood sugar soaring. I like to make sure my protien intake is at least half of my carb intake.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:36 AM

OK, so this week I got my first non-normal blood sugar readings. When I first started monitoring a month ago my averages (both fasting and 2-hr pp) were in the low 80s, with my low fasting #s in the 60s and 70s. Although they bounce around they have been creeping up to the point where I had a 92 fasting earlier this week.

Then yesterday morning I did my fasting and it was 111! I freaked out and immediately retested, and it was 103. Waited another 20 minutes, and it was 96, which is still over the 95 limit. (My 2-hr pp dinner measurement yesterday was 124 but I did eat half a super-size pizza although a month ago that would have given me maybe a 100). So I woke up this morning and my fasting was 99.... maybe that's a reaction to the pizza but I still couldn't figure out the 111 from yesterday.

I think I can keep my post-meal numbers OK by watching what I eat, but does anyone have tips for getting fasting numbers lower?

Tonight I took a 15-minute walk (usually don't exercise at all), threw maybe 1tsp of cinnamon in a glass of water and drank it, and ate some almonds. We'll see what happens tomorrow morning. I really thought that I didn't actually have GD (I failed the one-hour test by 7 points and refused the 3-hour and am doing the monitoring instead). Now I'm starting to question that.
Do I really have GD, or is just normal pregnancy glucose intolerance as I get closer and closer to term?

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

Old 07-29-2010, 03:41 AM

tribord - I think that it's hard to say whether or not you GD. The three hour test would have been a better indicator than the one hour. The fasting levels might be a little worrisome though. I've had GD with all three of my pregnancies but never had that high of fasting numbers (everyone is different though). However, if I at as much pizza as you did I'd probably get a reading of 200 for about 4 hours after eating. I'd say 124 is really good. Let us know how the walk and almonds helped your fasting numbers.
Old 07-29-2010, 12:15 PM

Mind if I jump in? I haven't been dx'ed but something weird is going on. I need help figuring out what.

I'm 32 weeks tomorrow. My 1 hour, where I'd forgotten I was having it and had a sugary breakfast before was 145. So I did the 3 hr and the only number that was off was the 1 hour- 192 or 197 (nurse said 192, midwife said 197, not sure who's right!) Because I want to use the hospital birth center, they're making me repeat the 3 hour to confirm that only that one hour number is off and I don't have GD. I'll be 35 weeks by that time and am concerned that I'll fail it but what concerns me more is...

I feel bad after eating almost everything. Not just sugar, but especially sugar. I just ate for breakfast, a half a whole wheat English muffin with about 1.5 tbl (unsweetened) cashew butter and feel glazed and weird, I did pretty much as soon as it hit my stomach. So part of me is wondering if it's the sugar or not. Could it be more like a blood pressure thing? I have no clue. I think I should have certainly failed the 3 hour if eating carbs and sugar were what's making me feel so terrible!

Anyway, I do want to get a glucometer and test myself while I'm waiting to repeat my 3 hour. I'm concerned about doing a 2nd 3 hour if in fact I am GD- those three days of carb loading before the test can't be good for someone with high blood sugar and can't be good for the baby, so if I test myself and find out that I'm probably GD, I'll just cancel the test and plan to birth in a regular room so I don't have to screw up my diet just for the test.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Old 07-29-2010, 03:18 PM

So my fasting this morning was 94. Too close to comfort for me but under the magical 95. I only have to test twice a week, though, so maybe I can do some more exercise on the nights before I test. Probably wouldn't hurt to start exercising on some other days, either.

DD 12/07 DS 9/10

Old 07-29-2010, 04:23 PM

Hi, mamas... I need some help. I'm in tears here.

I had GD with my first pregnancy and controlled it with diet. My OB had me test fasting and 1 hour after every meal, which meant I was very controlled. I only gained 8 pounds with that pregnancy.

So I know how to do control my sugars, and while it's no picnic, I know I can handle it. I have already been following a low-carb diet and exercising more regularly this pregnancy. But having GD last time made me "increased risk," and feeling like I was racing against the clock in terms of delivery was a big part of what led to my c-section, I think. I was really hoping that I wouldn't have GD with this pregnancy, because if I do, the midwives will want to induce at 41 weeks.

They did the one-hour at 20 weeks b/c of my prior history and I was fine. I was thrilled! But I got tested again this week (27 weeks) and just got my results for the one hour test--it was a 155. So they're sending me for the three-hour.

I'm worried. At least with the one-hour I could eat breakfast beforehand. But fasting and then that horrible sugar drink? Ugh, ugh, ugh. I am so upset, envisioning my dreams of a VBAC go down the drain...

Any thoughts about how I could try to pass (cheat?) the 3-hour test? Drink water and cinnamon in the bathroom? Go for a surreptitious run in between blood draws? Clearly, I'm desperate here. I mean, I'm on the diet anyway; all that changes with the actual GD label is increased intervention... sigh.

There's me, DH, and the little guy (8/05). Expecting another little one 10/10! Hoping for a .
Old 07-29-2010, 09:06 PM

bri276 - Even if you passed all the numbers but one doesn't mean you don't have sugar problems. I'd say 197 after one hour is a sugar problem. I feel horrible when my numbers are that high. Racing heart beat, feel like I need a nap right now (fogginess) and tummy ache. I'd say you need to be testing regularly to find out what's going on and what affects your numbers.

huggingmama - I wouldn't necessarily recommend trying to cheat the test to avoid a C-Section. What I would do is keep my sugar numbers impeccably clean and exercise. Keep that weight gain down and show them that there is nothing that considers you high risk. My doctor is wonderful and assuming that I keep my sugars under control he doesn't consider my pregnancy any different than normal. I would stick to your guns at the end if you've done a good job with your numbers. Good luck!
Old 07-29-2010, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nixnux View Post
huggingmama - I wouldn't necessarily recommend trying to cheat the test to avoid a C-Section. What I would do is keep my sugar numbers impeccably clean and exercise. Keep that weight gain down and show them that there is nothing that considers you high risk. My doctor is wonderful and assuming that I keep my sugars under control he doesn't consider my pregnancy any different than normal. I would stick to your guns at the end if you've done a good job with your numbers. Good luck!
Thanks, nixnux. I kept my diet under super-control last time (gained only 8 lbs.) and plan to do so again. I still have my log of everything I ate the last three months, chronicled by time that I ate it, as well as my blood sugar logs, and there were only like three times in those last three months where I was above 135 after 1 hour. I was the model patient. Sadly, just having the stupid label of GD made me high risk... Ugh, it's all coming back--the weekly ultrasounds to make sure the baby wasn't too big at the end (he was 8 lbs. 10, which is the size of all of the babies in my family). All to have a C-section anyway. I am so frustrated. I have been exercising like crazy this pregnancy and am already on the GD diet, trying to beat the stupid test.

I am with a different practice (midwives) now, so I will check with them. Can I ask what the rest of you have to go through with monitoring in those last few weeks, and how often? And when you'll be told that you will be induced? At my last appt. I was told they will want to induce at 41 weeks if I have GD again. Oh, I can't stop crying today! I so want a VBAC.

And I will still take advice anyone has on how to cheat the 3 hour.

There's me, DH, and the little guy (8/05). Expecting another little one 10/10! Hoping for a .
Old 07-30-2010, 02:35 AM

huggingmama - I would ask your midwife if you can self-monitor and record your numbers instead of doing the 3 hour. If you have already done it once I can't imagine doing it again. I have waived all the testing and am just self monitoring.

AFM - It's as if 30 weeks threw me over some secret edge. Prior to 30 weeks I was doing great with my fasting number - under 90 most days. I've had fasting numbers between 96 and 101 for the past week. My Dr. was super cool about it but wants me to take 1/2 a 2.5 glyburide with dinner and see if it helps - if it doesn't I should ramp up to the full 2.5 for a week. I'm going to try it. I was on insulin last time and I'd really like to avoid that.

I'd love some ideas for before bed snacks other than cheese and nuts! Any ideas? I'm trying a cup of plain yogurt tonight.

Molly - Hard working mama to DD 06/06 , #2 9/2010!
Old 07-30-2010, 01:24 PM

huggingmama - I'm so sorry that you had to go through all of that. I'm extremely blessed because my OB is so laid back. I had no additional monitoring or ultrasounds to determine size. He knew that I did a good job with my numbers and that was enough for him. My midwives were a little concerned but I still wasn't considered high risk cause my numbers were good. She did tell me that if my numbers were high during labor we would have to transfer to the hospital but it was never an issue. I hope that your conversation with your midwife goes well. Try not to stress out to much!!

prettyuglybefore - If you read back in this post someone actually recommended ice cream for a bed time snack. I know it seems weird but there was some talk and explanation about it. Maybe give it try! My suggestion tuna with crackers, egg salad sandwich, apple and peanut butter, cottage cheese. I personally like popcorn as it has lots of fiber and doesn't affect my numbers.

User Tag List