2010 Gestational Diabetes Support Thread - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 201 Old 03-10-2010, 08:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas!

I've been going crazy trying to keep borderline GD from becoming full GD as I attempt to have a VBAC at home. I found this lengthy, but super informative thread in my research.

Instead of bumping the thread, I thought it would be best to simply start a new one. So here we go! Who else is out there?

As for me, I'm 25 weeks now with #2. As for now, I'm just self testing at home...

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#2 of 201 Old 03-10-2010, 09:20 PM

i failed my 1 hour-i forgot to ask what my sugar was. I have my 3 hour Friday...I really hope I'm okay. Until then I have decided to eat better food whether I have it or not, so we stocked up on lots of veggies and low-medium sugar fruits, whole wheat/grain breads/bagels/tortillas and we're going from there.

You're 25 weeks now-don't they usually test around 28 weeks? Did they test you early because of risk factors or having it in your first pregnancy? Is borderline GD non insulin dependent??

Jessicaintactlact.gif, wife to Derricklurk.gif, missing Joslyn angel3.gif, 22 weeks 06.18.08, rainbow1284.gifBaby Kai Ambrose 05.10.10 and Isla Blythe born on Thanksgiving '12 uc.jpg

#3 of 201 Old 03-10-2010, 10:44 PM

Subbing! I had GD with my first pregnancy and I'll be tested when I'm further along. Also trying for a VBAC.

There's me, DH, and the little guy (8/05). Expecting another little one 10/10! Hoping for a .
#4 of 201 Old 03-11-2010, 12:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess_paez View Post
i failed my 1 hour-i forgot to ask what my sugar was. I have my 3 hour Friday...I really hope I'm okay. Until then I have decided to eat better food whether I have it or not, so we stocked up on lots of veggies and low-medium sugar fruits, whole wheat/grain breads/bagels/tortillas and we're going from there.

You're 25 weeks now-don't they usually test around 28 weeks? Did they test you early because of risk factors or having it in your first pregnancy? Is borderline GD non insulin dependent??
Fingers crossed for your 3 hour!! Many women fail #1 from what I understand and go on to pass the 3 hour.

This is all self diagnosis. I was never tested with my first pregnancy, but in the end, with an 11 pound baby and looking back, I might have been. This pregnancy, I was spilling a bunch of ketones in the beginning, sugars tested by blood test at 16 weeks, came back normal, but on the higher end.
I have been wondering and so I just got a monitor a week or so ago and started testing my sugars at home to see what they might be. My fasting sugars are lingering around 100 the past two mornings, so I'm tweaking my diet a bit, increasing exercise and seeing if I can get them under control. Just worried that if they are so close now, how they might be as issues can grow in pregnancy. Being positive in realizing that there are so many things I haven't tried as far as diet/exercise/supplements go.

S, mama to boy M(6/07) and baby girl R(7/10). We do all the good natural family living stuff!
#5 of 201 Old 03-11-2010, 12:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by huggingmama View Post
Subbing! I had GD with my first pregnancy and I'll be tested when I'm further along. Also trying for a VBAC.
Welcome! VBAC!!!!

Were you insulin dependent the first go round? You know, around 1/2 of women don't get it the second go round. Hoping you are one of them!

#6 of 201 Old 03-11-2010, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Whoohoo!! Good brisk walk yesterday afternoon+almonds before bed=fasting bg this morning of 85!!!! I can live with that!

#7 of 201 Old 03-11-2010, 09:31 PM

OP, do you mind me asking what kind of meter you are using? I found out mine is really inaccurate and there seems to be no way of calibrating it. I am borderline GD also and made the HUGE mistake of eating melon this evening...I feel horrid and know my sugar is up.

Crunchy mama to my beans (11/06 and 6/04): and with DH since '02. Expected a May flower and got a June bug!
#8 of 201 Old 03-12-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Bean View Post
OP, do you mind me asking what kind of meter you are using? I found out mine is really inaccurate and there seems to be no way of calibrating it. I am borderline GD also and made the HUGE mistake of eating melon this evening...I feel horrid and know my sugar is up.
Huh! I read there can be issues, but I think mine is ok(?). How would I know for sure?
I got the cheap-o ReliOn from Walmart. Hmm...I guess I thought, regardless of the brand, as long as the numbers were staying within a not so swingy range I was doing ok, oh, and also lower than when I started . What brand were and are you using? Mine is calibrated with each set of test strips...
So sorry about the melon! I keep trying to tell myself that this is only for a few more months...

#9 of 201 Old 03-12-2010, 07:09 PM

Hello,

I'm not at risk for GD, so I have refused the testing and test myself. I have the cheap ReliOn from Walmart as well and found that how I do the test greatly affects the results. If I don't get a good, fast bleed without squeezing my finger, I'll get a reading in the 40s or 50s. Two minutes later I can get a reading in the 70s with a good bleed. I am hypoglycemic and both pregnancies my averages seem to be in the 70s. I would recommend making sure you get a good blood spot that will fill the test strip quickly without needing to squeeze your finger and I think that should be fairly reliable.
#10 of 201 Old 03-12-2010, 08:33 PM

Well, I got a Sidekick. I did finger pricks as I did my three-hr lab draws. Turns out it was 30-50 pts too high. I called them today, actually, and they are sending me a replacement, so that is cool.

So, I guess I am one of those folks who can't eat fruit except for apples after noon. I ate a tangerine this evening (I do this frequently) and for the first time I feel horrid afterward. Ugh. I am a little worried it is getting worse, so I definitely wanting to do checks on myself.

Crunchy mama to my beans (11/06 and 6/04): and with DH since '02. Expected a May flower and got a June bug!
#11 of 201 Old 03-28-2010, 06:43 PM - Thread Starter

Bump! As I just saw someone looking for something like this and because I've been a slacker...how is everyone?

#12 of 201 Old 03-29-2010, 05:09 AM

I've just been diagnosed with GD and it's cost me my birth center birth. There aren't any HB midwives that will take GD mamas available either. So now I'm in the hospital.

This is my first baby. They can't get me into the GD class till April 8th and I don't really know where to go from here. I asked what meter they suggest and they told me to wait and buy it from them... but that's over a week away. I know to cut out everything with refined carbs and to increase my exercise but other than that I need to do more reading.

I feel so defeated
#13 of 201 Old 03-29-2010, 11:38 AM - Thread Starter

Welcome Bubblette!

So sorry about your GD diagnosis. Its such a bummer, isn't it?

So a couple of things to think about. First, regarding your birth plans. I know its different everywhere, but around here, the law states that if its GD that CAN't be controlled by diet and exercise(i.e. meds are needed), then you risk out of the birth centers/home births. It might be worth a shot to ask the follow up question with some HB midwives and all...

Glucometers are pretty cheap these days, the cost exists in the strips, but even then, if you just buy a small package, you aren't out too much money. And you can learn a LOT from 20 strips.

You might not need to cut out all carbs, but exercise will for sure help. Just a brisk 20 minute walk a day does it for me. My weekly yoga class does wonders as well. Cinnamon supplements are also a big help.

I am so sorry you are having to go through this and your birth plans are being re written. Keeping my fingers crossed that there is an unturned stone out there for you....

#14 of 201 Old 03-29-2010, 11:59 AM

i failed my 1 hour test and went in for my 3 hour test this morning. i hope it is okay but it was a wake up call for me nonetheless. i didn't realize how much i was abusing my body with all of my carb intake which has been higher during pregnancy than usual for me. i decided i needed to watch my carb intake and eliminate all refined flour and sugar. i started walking again also. any other suggestions? i plan to keep these changes going even if my results come back okay.

Me, DW , and DS born 7/6/10
#15 of 201 Old 03-29-2010, 12:15 PM

Thanks Sharr610,
There is only one BC in my area and it's associated with a hospital. They have a very strict policy. I'm now "high risk" even if my sugars are controlled and I am not allowed to use the BC. I tried the three HB midwives in town who take on mamas with GD, one is out of town, two will be leaving town just as I hit my due date and so cannot even interview with me. It looks like I'm stuck in the hospital.

While money is an issue we have absolutely no hesitations about buying a glucometer and strips and figuring this all out. The woman at the diabetes clinic just would not give me a recc for a brand they find reliable. Which I find totally frustrating.

I'm looking into cinnamon supps but I've read there's a problem with increased bleeding? So I need to find celyon cinnamon rather than cassia- which is proving difficult so far.
#16 of 201 Old 03-29-2010, 12:40 PM

Hello all -

I'm Heather, 22wks pg with my second. I had GD with my DD (who is 18mos) and was tested at 28w for it. With her, my 1hr test came back at 176. Because I literally have only one good vein and it's in my hand (and sometimes doesn't cooperate at all), I declined the 3hr and my OB said it was fine to just go ahead and schedule everything as if I'd failed it. I managed my sugars with great effort and was very anal about getting it all right. I did really well on my own until all of my tried & true meals that never spiked my sugar at all started giving me high numbers around 32-33wks. I was then put on the lowest dose of Glyburide that they will put you on, and it was just enough to level the numbers out. I had to have weekly bio-physical ultrasounds from that point until my scheduled c-section (mandatory at my OB practice when you have GD, and the "norm" for GD patients in the state of NJ who don't use a midwife... which also isn't covered under my insurance). I never gained a pound until the last 2 weeks when I think I put on maybe 6lbs. Six days after having her, I was 28lbs lighter.

I never went to have my sugars tested 6-8 weeks after having my DD, which was suggested to me because Type II runs in my family... but I'm thinking I should have.

I'm now pregnant with my second DC and was tested at 20 weeks. My 1hr test was 159 as per their reading, but I took my own reading with my test kit that I had from when I had GD with my DD. My test was done about 15-20 minutes later and read 170. When they called last Friday to tell me what it was, I again waived the 3hr test knowing that there was no way I could take it with no veins, and besides, knowing it was 159 (or 170) at 20 weeks just leads me to believe that this is GD again like it was with my DD. Regardless, I felt so good eating well while pg with my DD that I knew I wouldn't mind doing it again.

I met with the nutritionist this past Saturday and she was a great person - we actually talked about everything and anything for over an hour. But then we realized we hadn't talked about why I was there, and once we did realize it, we had barely any time to go over the eating plan, etc. I showed her my meticulous notes I took in my food journal when I was pg with my DD and showed her some other supportive documents that I'd been using that really helped me figure out what to eat. She wrote up her own meal plan for me and I went home.

Once I looked at what she'd written, I noticed it was very different from what I'd been given the first time I had GD, so I went to my reference materials that I showed her to check it out - except they weren't there. I discovered that I must have left them in her office or she didn't give them back to me, etc. Either way, I don't have them now. I called her office and left her a VM letting her know I need them back, but something tells me that she may have thrown them out.

This is now my third full day on the plan and I'm noticing that my sugars are all over the place... and that scares me. Things I ate the first time are having a different reaction for me this time around and it's throwing me for a loop. I'm really going to take this week to figure out what things are setting my sugars off and making a list of them. In the meantime, I'm going to read as much of the thread in that link as I can - I'm sure there's TONS of great info in there!

Sorry this is so long... Thanks for having this thread!

Heather (40) DH (41) Georgia Mae b. 9/3/08, Charlotte Grace 7/17/10.
#17 of 201 Old 03-29-2010, 01:28 PM

Sharr - thanks so much for the info on this thread

bubblette - I use the Freestyle Lite monitor. You can find them on eBay VERY cheaply, as well as test strips and lancets. My insurance doesn't pay for the tests and lancets (but pays for the monitor itself. Yeah I don't get it either...) so I buy them on eBay.

I live in NJ and here, if you have GD, you're automatically high risk and 95% of the time (if not more) you're a scheduled c-section. I had a very hard time coming to terms with that the first time around but to be honest with you, my c-section turned out to be a wonderful experience for me and all involved. I was also told that my chance of a VBAC would be slim to none, unless I gave birth in the car on the way to the hospital (kidding, but not). The great fear is that the baby will be too large to pass through the birth canal and you'd end up an emergency c-section anyway. I'm not petite in size (I'm very overweight) but I'm 5'2" and they said that was a big factor. My DD ended up being 8lbs 14oz, and yet they thought she'd be over 10lbs.

I also wanted to tell you that my GD experience the first time was very scary in the beginning when I was first diagnosed. But after a few weeks, it was like a game to see how much great food I could eat without raising my sugar levels...lol. I feel for you and know where you're at in your head right now, so I jsut wanted to let you know that a few weeks from now, you'll be feeling better about everything. 's mama...

PS - again, SO SORRY for my uber-ridiculous long post!!! I type really fast and get carried away sometimes...lol.

#18 of 201 Old 03-29-2010, 03:49 PM

Bubblette--I am so sorry! It sucks, completely. I am really shocked and angered on all the ladies' behalf that have to have mandatory interventions just b/c they have the label GD. I was told that as long as my bG is maintained through diet and exercise, there will be no additional complications or interventions. That is just outrageous to me that it would be different just b/c of where you live. I'm so sorry!!

The company sent a a new Sidekick meter and I'm doing really well. That other one just was defective, I guess. FWIW, I was using my neighbor's Freestyle which seemed really good, too, while I waited for my new one.

#19 of 201 Old 03-29-2010, 06:12 PM

well, i failed my 3 hour test and that SUCKS! i now have an appointment with a diabetes educator/dietician. i am worried, overwhelmed, and feeling all sorts of guilt and anger at myself.

since this is my first entry into gd, what can i expect from this next appointment? midwives? it scares me to read that some women are not able to stay with their midwives and have to change their birth plans. i'm not planning a home birth but am using midwives within a hospital setting.

#20 of 201 Old 03-30-2010, 09:04 AM

I can't get into their stupid class till the 8th

Help with snack ideas please?? I usually bring fruit to school and I'm so at a loss for easy to pack snacks that are more in line with the GD diet.

In fact I'd love to hear everyones fav food that seem to work......

My smoothie today was made with coconut milk instead of dairy- really yummy actually. I'm still hunting around for celyon cinnamon.
#21 of 201 Old 03-30-2010, 10:11 AM

Bubblette - Here are a few snacks I do:

Artificially sweetened yogurt that has approx 15g of carbs or less. I use Axelrod non-fat, but I just noticed that the grams of carbs went from 12 to 17 in the past 2 years that I haven't eaten it so I'll have to find a new one.

Kashi TLC Honey Almond Flax bars. They're 1 carb exchange, but ALL of the other TLC bars are 2.

1 oz of cheddar cheese (I buy the huge 16oz blocks of it and cut it up into 16 pieces)

15g of carbs worth of any type of crackers

Hummus and a mini whole wheat pita (the pita is 1 carb exchange). I don't really measure the hummus, I eat what I want because the carbs are very low. You can also use carrots, celery or cucumbers to dip in the hummus.

Hard boiled egg

1 cup of 2% milk with some Ovaltine in it. It's 19g of carbs for 4 tablespoons of Ovaltine, but you only need 1 tbsp for 1 cup of milk, easily. I usually just count the whole thing as one carb exchange since milk is 12g and the Ovaltine is about 5g.

1/2 a toasted lite whole wheat english muffin with cream cheese and a slice of tomato, sprinkled with a little bit of salt. It's heaven

I can probably think of some more but since I just started back with the GD, this is all I can remember from the last time I had it. Will post more as I think of them!

ETA: One of my snacks is just 1 carb exchange, my other 2 snacks for the day are both a carb and a protein together. That's why I have some things listed with both protein and carb and some just protein, some just carb. I mix and match all of them, too.

As an aside, have any of you had high morning fasting numbers? This go-round my fasting every morning are high, as in the 115 range. Last time that happened, they had me waking up at night to eat cheese at 3am

#22 of 201 Old 03-30-2010, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnoho View Post
well, i failed my 3 hour test and that SUCKS! i now have an appointment with a diabetes educator/dietician. i am worried, overwhelmed, and feeling all sorts of guilt and anger at myself.

since this is my first entry into gd, what can i expect from this next appointment? midwives? it scares me to read that some women are not able to stay with their midwives and have to change their birth plans. i'm not planning a home birth but am using midwives within a hospital setting.
. I'm sorry jjnoho. Don't beat yourself up. It happens to the best of us, seriously.

From what I've read and experienced, what you can expect from your provider is so relative. To some midwives, they do a little dietary adjustment and all is well and they don't worry, for others, its a bigger deal. To put yourself at ease, I'd give them a call and ask them what this means/what your options are at this point. I'll keep my fingers crossed that for your midwives, its no major thing.
Do you know what your numbers were from the 3 hour? That could affect their thoughts on it as well.

#23 of 201 Old 03-30-2010, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

As for snacks, I am such a horrible snacker. But when I do, I try to follow the rule of if its a carb/sugar to pair it with a fat/protein. I.e apples and peanut butter, ww bread and butter or cheese, melon and proscuitto....as for crackers, Wasa are great and super low carb.

Headmeister, I've had some high morning fasting numbers before and tried to do the middle of the night snack. It helps, but it sucks, i hate eating half asleep! The best I can do, and the one that does work is about 5 almonds when I get up to pee.

#24 of 201 Old 03-31-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharr610 View Post
. I'm sorry jjnoho. Don't beat yourself up. It happens to the best of us, seriously.

From what I've read and experienced, what you can expect from your provider is so relative. To some midwives, they do a little dietary adjustment and all is well and they don't worry, for others, its a bigger deal. To put yourself at ease, I'd give them a call and ask them what this means/what your options are at this point. I'll keep my fingers crossed that for your midwives, its no major thing.
Do you know what your numbers were from the 3 hour? That could affect their thoughts on it as well.
thanks for your words of support. i went to see the dietician/diabetes educator this morning and it went well. not looking forward to cheking my bg 4 times a day but the prick wasn't as bad as i thought it would be. i feel a little bit better than monday when i got the news.

i am hoping that a little tweaking with my diet will help a lot. seems like some of my habits which i thought of as healthy were not so - who knew? like orange juice first thing in the morning and cold cereal for breakfast - but it is high fiber and whole grain so i thought it was good for me!?

my #s were 77 fasting, 198 1 hour, 211 2 hour, and 80 3 hour. i don't really have any reference for what those numbers means so if anyone can interpret i would appreciate it. are they really high, not so high? i don't know.

#25 of 201 Old 03-31-2010, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a link to what the standard numbers for the 3 hour is...your fasting and 3 hour look great, 1 hour, a little high, but that 2 hour is the funny one although not through the roof.
Knowledge is totally power. My glucometer taught me so much. What kind of exercising are you doing?

#26 of 201 Old 04-01-2010, 05:47 AM

Hi Ladies,
I toured the hospital with my birth class last night and it made me want to cry on the upside I'm looking diligently for a doula and I have been assured by multiple people that I can have a normal and natural birth- refusing anything I basically want to- up at the hospital.

I got my meter today- and my 2 hour post lunch was 88.2 (4.9). We'll see how monitoring goes I'm supposed to do 4 daily, with my post meals all being 2 hours after I began eating.

I was also told today that my numbers were high enough that I cannot go into the hospital midwifery system, I'll be seeing Obs through the prenatal clinic. The really really crappy part is that the midwives RUN the labour floor- unless something goes really really wrong. So my continuity of care is just screwed
#27 of 201 Old 04-01-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharr610 View Post
Here is a link to what the standard numbers for the 3 hour is...your fasting and 3 hour look great, 1 hour, a little high, but that 2 hour is the funny one although not through the roof.
Knowledge is totally power. My glucometer taught me so much. What kind of exercising are you doing?
what is the link?

i am walking and doing prenatal yoga. now that the weather is getting better, i am planning ot be more diligent about walking daily.

#28 of 201 Old 04-01-2010, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

I'm the WORST link poster ever...

Here you go...

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/P...%20Test%20(GTT)

#29 of 201 Old 04-01-2010, 09:28 PM

I'm so happy to see this thread!

I'm 14 weeks with #2. I've been testing at home here and there and am working on getting super serious about it now that my all-day-sickness has gotten much better. For me there was just NO way that I could do a GD diet when I wasn't able to keep anything in my stomach, especially protein.

I was diagnosed after the 3 hour test with DD at 30 weeks. I started with diet and exercise but had a really hard time keeping my after dinner and fasting numbers in check. I ended up on 2 doses of insulin (before bed and morning) for the last 4 weeks of my pregnancy. I was induced at 38 weeks "because of the GD." My baby was 7 lbs even.

This time I've been using my monitor (OneTouch Ultra) at home. I've already discussed the plan of attack with my OB and we are on the same page! I will refuse the testing and home monitor. She has told me that glyburide is used far more often than insulin these days and that they have changed the recommendations as far as induction! She will allow me to go to 41 weeks without even mentioning induction. I'm thrilled.

I've had one A1C test (looks at the average blood glucose level over the past 2 or 3 months) and will have one every 2 months. My first number was in normal range, so that's a good sign!

I think the hardest part of the GD roller-coaster is figuring out what you can eat to keep things in control and then sticking to it. Mixing things up enough so that you don't get completely burnt on your food options is also hard.

I've found that in order to keep my fasting number under 90 I can't eat a carby snack before bed, even though what I REALLY WANT is a bowl of Kashi Go Lean, I need to stick with a piece of cheese and some chicken or veggie. It's no fun!

Molly - Hard working mama to DD 06/06 , #2 9/2010!
#30 of 201 Old 04-02-2010, 07:46 PM

I would just like to report that my testing data is:

pp lunch: 95.4
pp dinner: 86.4
fasting: 75.6
pp breakfast: 95.4
pp lunch: 97.2
pp dinner: 91.8
fasting: 88.2

I have not lost any weight. I need ketone sticks and will get them after the holiday weekend, though they didn't ask me to use any.

I'm going to ask to be transfered back to the b.c. I know they probably won't let me, but I am going to walk in there with my research (all primary lit) and talk to them about it. Making me stay in the hospital with those numbers is ridiculous.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page