Are raw eggs okay? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-11-2010, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Im 35 weeks pregnant - and suddenly find myself not very hungry at all. I just want to pick here and there and really fancy smoothies at the moment. I was having such a lovely high protein breakfast of omlette with nuts and seeds, etc....but I just can't bring myself to eat much these days. So I was thinking I could chuck a few raw eggs into my smoothie (which I know I won't be able to taste once they are in there! lol)... But are they okay to eat?

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#2 of 17 Old 03-11-2010, 08:26 AM

i have done it quite a bit... some say its risky but i am under the impression that if they are quality eggs i shouldnt have a problem... i get organic free range eggs from my fiances co worker. my chiropractor suggested i do it, because apparently there is some nutrient in eggs that you get only when they are raw

fiance to my soulmate mother to super girl 7/6/6 and son due april 21st 2010
genesis
#3 of 17 Old 03-11-2010, 09:30 AM

I wouldn't, but like the PP said, it's about your supplier. The risk of salmonella from them is actually quite low, but I personally wouldn't risk it. I am also a huge worrywart when pregnant, just because we're at increased risk of food-borne illness. I already had food poisoning once this pregnancy and it makes me extra cautious.

Home water birthing, non-circing, delayed vaxing, co-sleeping, babywearing, extended nursing Mommy to DS1 5/08, DS2 5/10 and wife to sweetest hubby ever.
#4 of 17 Old 03-11-2010, 09:33 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I wouldn't worry if they've been pasteurized.
#5 of 17 Old 03-11-2010, 10:26 AM

If you trust your egg supplier, then yes I think it's fine. I only eat my eggs lightly sunny side up so that the yolk is runny and slightly warmed only.
#6 of 17 Old 03-11-2010, 07:16 PM

I think you can use Egg Beaters -- I believe you can buy it pasteurized that way but still use as you would raw eggs.

#7 of 17 Old 03-11-2010, 09:01 PM

I would not, I'm not comfortable with taking chances with raw or undercooked food. I use egg beaters in recipes that call for eggs that won't be cooked.

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#8 of 17 Old 03-11-2010, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would consume raw eggs is they were from a farmer I trusted and they were pastured. Supermarket eggs? Probably not. I also wouldn't touch egg beaters or pasteurized eggs though.

Elizabeth - Doing life with Scott partners.gif

SAHM to Evelyn - my crazy little Celiac (4) energy.gif Annabelle (2)  love.gif and Abraham (born 6/20) buddamomimg1.png
adoptionheart-1.gif  Follow our journey  mdcblog5.gif

#9 of 17 Old 03-12-2010, 05:34 PM - Thread Starter

hmm...tough one I guess.

I don't get ill when pregnant though. My whole family has had at tummy bug so far, three times this pregnancy and I have been the only one blessed to escape its wrath! lol - But I just don't get ill when I am pregnant!

So I may take my chances.

My eggs are local and free range and organic - though bought at the supermarket....lol

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
#10 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 01:44 PM

have you looked into coddling them?

i love home made ceasar dressing, and my recipe calls for raw eggs. i coddle the eggs: gently boil in the shell for 2 minutes. the inside does NOT reach the temp to kill salmonella, but most salmonella is found on the surface of the shell.

i do this in addition to buying local, organic, known supplier... it will cook the white that is closest to the shell a little, but it will still be soft and will blend in well to a smoothie.

me+him for 15 yrs, welcomed our little one march 25th, 2010.

#11 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 01:55 PM

I wouldn't because it sounds nasty.

I'm also paranoid about food poisoning and salmonella, that would be my other reason for doing it. I read once that only 1 in 20,000 eggs has salmonella though, if that comforts you.
#12 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 04:32 PM

Given that you're in the UK, I probably wouldn't unless I bought eggs from a farmer (do you have a farmer's market near you).

That said, we eat raw/undercooked eggs in many things using mainly farmer eggs though sometimes organic eggs from the supermarket.

Perhaps you could buy some special farmer's eggs especially for eating raw if cost is an issue?

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#13 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 04:34 PM

I ate raw eggs and drank raw milk diring 2 pregnancies and was perfectly fine. I DID get local pastured eggs though, from farms I could trust to have healthy chickens... if you feel good about your source, I'd say go for it. If your source is iffy, find another farm quick and THEN go for it!

Elizabeth, naturally-minded mother to two beautiful girls and on the path to living a debt-free off-grid eco-lifestyle in my not built yet dream house
#14 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Oi - whats wrong with UK eggs! lol

#15 of 17 Old 03-13-2010, 06:48 PM

I think it sounds gross but if I decided to do it I'd feel fine using my own hen's eggs. Not grocery store eggs....even though they are pretty safe they are processed in a way I dont this is safe for raw eating.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#16 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 11:16 AM

LOL, I suppose growing up in Australia we were always aware that the eggs there contain very low levels of salmonella compared to in the UK and US! So I ate even raw supermarket eggs with impunity. Though now that I live in Canada I am (a tiny bit) more careful

Leila, mama to Eleanor (10/08) and Emmett (4/10)

Visit my blog! www.rookblog.com

#17 of 17 Old 03-14-2010, 11:26 AM

What a great question! I would normally avoid raw eggs... but yesterday I had some homemade ice cream (which was AWESOME) and it contained raw eggs. Does freezing kill salmonella just like cooking? I highly doubt the folks that made this ice cream used organic/local eggs... so maybe I was being too risky.

Mama and co-parent to our beautiful DS (08/08) and our mighty strong DD (04/10) . Life is good.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page