July Mamas -- March 1 - 15 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 107 Old 03-09-2004, 02:10 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
happay ~ we're using Tushies initially {great price through our co-op for a case and the hospital will use those but not cloth :} and then switch to cloth probably around week two. I'm just leery of investing a lot of money in newborn diapers and have them be too small to use so we're going straight with the infant prefolds and our fitteds which start around 8 - 10 lbs. We use pins occasionally for our hemp prefolds, which we only use at night if everything else is dirty. I don't mind pins, but snappis are so much easier to use with a squirmy toddler. I'm not sure I'd want to use flats just because of the extra folding required, but I think one or two ladies over at the diapering board have experience with them {this is from memory though since I get into trouble when I start hearing about new diapers, LOL}.

Teaching wife & mama knit.gif  to my not so little ones - DS (10) drum.gif and DD (8) dust.gif

#62 of 107 Old 03-09-2004, 02:23 PM

I think using pins would be rather difficult and time consuming...its much easier for me to just fold the prefold in thirds and tuck it in the cover, but I have a friend who used nothing but pinned prefolds and it worked for her...

here are some other folding techniques:
http://webhome.idirect.com/~born2luv/FOLDING.HTML

I am so huge! I must go maternity clothes shopping...

a bit off topic, but I really think it has to do with the preggo nesting/mothering hormones~ I am on a sewing spree, thankfully, I've slowed down on making diapers! I made Chloe a little sunflower apron top. and a patchy sundress with a matching kerchief..I'll edit with a pic later....its sooo cute..sweeter than sugar!

~mama to some wonderful kids
#63 of 107 Old 03-09-2004, 02:27 PM

I still use pins I use prefolds and a wrap. I started by just using the wrap to hold the prefold, then I used a snappi and finally found that I got the best fit with pins. I love pinning!
#64 of 107 Old 03-09-2004, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sunfairy
a bit off topic, but I really think it has to do with the preggo nesting/mothering hormones~ I am on a sewing spree...
Phew, glad I'm not the only one! I've put a lot of sewing on hold until our u/s and my serger arrives, but I've been doing tons of sewing for ds's big boy room. I don't remember doing this, or at least not this early, last time! I even rearranged the downstairs {with help, of course} while dh was out of town last weekend. And this weekend dh will be removing wallpaper and repainting. Poor guy, totally at the whim of my hormones, LOL.

Teaching wife & mama knit.gif  to my not so little ones - DS (10) drum.gif and DD (8) dust.gif

#65 of 107 Old 03-09-2004, 03:24 PM

I have been clean sweeping for like 2 weeks now.. if I throw anything else out I think we wont have anything left!

lol

I have also been trying to re-arrange the rooms so there will be more room for baby stuff, (we'll have to share a bedroom)

oh my and I am going to my moms house tonight to help her make some diapers lol

www.angelfire.com/oh3/no3/diapers.html

arent they CUTE???

She said she has 20 smalls for me

do you think this is enough??? I am also going to get some prefolds and get her to make me some covers.. I also got soem secondhand kushies covers...

hmm

it's sooo exciting! I can't wait for baby to come!
#66 of 107 Old 03-09-2004, 04:03 PM

Wow, those are some complicated folds! :LOL I like pinning too, but I only do it when all the covers are in the wash. My DH is terrified of both pins and snappi's, so he refuses to use either of them. I think that there's nothing more adorable than a pinned diaper on a little tush!

I am also trying to clean-sweep; I just listed a whole bunch of stuff on the Trading Post, but I'm not holding out much hope. I'll give it a week or two and then I guess I'll put my stuff on eBay, where some of it actually will sell. :

I have no idea if 20 is enough, having never diapered a newborn. It certainly sounds like a good beginning, at the least!

Rynna, Mama to Bean (8), Boobah (6), Bella (4) and Bear (2)
#67 of 107 Old 03-09-2004, 04:46 PM

bikruca... does your mom use a pattern? I really want to make some awesome dipes like that. They are beautiful.

20 dipes will probably last a day and a half, if your not going to change the baby every hour, like some people do.

I've got the sewing bug too. I've been felting cheap sweater for making covers, and sewing together some peices of hemp for soakers, once I make some pocket diapers.
#68 of 107 Old 03-09-2004, 04:57 PM

I got MULE kicked today! I was turning to help ds in the backseat. He was screaming "My back! My back!!!" Which means his shirt is riding up. It infuriates him. I must have turned the 'wrong' way, and the baby kicked the heck out of my side. Well, pardon me!! (Please no, not another one with a temper!)

I'm so tired today. I just want to crawl in a cave and sleep. By myself. Many miles to go, though. Literally. 20 miles of highway to go teach, then that 20 again plus 82 to get to rehearsal. Then at 10:00, 82 back home. Maybe I should go sleep a bit now.
#69 of 107 Old 03-09-2004, 05:03 PM

ebethmom ~ sounds like my commute while pregnant with ds. I used to bring a pillow with me to work and nap in my car. So far the tiredness is at bay, although I've been known to go to bed right after ds does. I should probably nap when he does but I end up cleaning or getting online. :

I'm aiming for about three dozen prefolds, and a mix of pockets and fitteds. We went through a ton of diapers with ds when we were using sposies; I can only imagine what cloth is going to be like. Plus, those infant cpf's fit so nicely in ds's Bumkins covers and the pockets...and have a bunch of other uses.

#70 of 107 Old 03-09-2004, 05:59 PM

ebethmom-

I hear ya! Goo and Moo had their first fight the other day. Moo was kicking and Goo was on my lap, so Goo started to push my belly back. Sigh..this just encouraged Moo to kick more. Man, am I in trouble or what?

Severe rib cage pain from this kiddo. I need a taller body!
#71 of 107 Old 03-10-2004, 12:46 PM

That's funny, Foo! Ds hasn't felt any of the kicks yet. They haven't felt all that strong from the outside - they feel more like nudges so far. But I asked ds if he wanted to feel the baby kick, and he was SO indignant! "Da baby NOT kick me!" I think we're in for a rough transition!

Mamma2Addison ~ Since I've been pregnant, I've been late to more rehearsals! I have to stop and sleep at the rest stop. I made it last night without a nap, but the whole rehearsal felt like playing with a pile of bricks on my shoulders.

Today is my birthday!! : And my day is filled teaching other people's kids and a rehearsal. I leave at 1:00 and get home at 11:30. Sigh...

But I get to see most of my family this weekend! And my Dad comes home next week!!! I hadn't seen or talked to him since Christmas, and he just called to say Happy Birthday.

By the way, I have officially reached my "Advanced Maternal Age" today. Yup, the magic 35. The number when all #%^^ing tests are expected. No thanks! I'm in better shape with this pregnancy than I was with the first.

Seven weeks until Disney World and the beach!
#72 of 107 Old 03-10-2004, 12:49 PM

Happy birthday ebethmom!
#73 of 107 Old 03-10-2004, 12:52 PM

Happy birthday! :

hope you have a fun day even if you have to go to rehersal, try not to fall asleep!!!

#74 of 107 Old 03-10-2004, 01:01 PM

Yay!!! Just found out yesterday we're going to have our second boy. Everything's going well and they don't see any signs of any problems with him. I'm feeling a little guilty though. Ever since I was little I thought I'd have a boy and a girl. So I'm working on getting used being out-numbered. I'm hitting the super excited part of finding out the gender now . It just took a little longer than with ds #1. I do feel much more prepared now. I was feeling overwhelmed and (believe it or not) wishing I had a few more months to be pregnant. Now, with a boy, all I need is diapers and I'm set!
Dh is excited too. Now he's got two little basketball players on his team! It will be cute to see them all watching football together on the couch. I feel much more confident now. I can't wait!!
Had my first midwife appointment yesterday too. It was wonderful!!
#75 of 107 Old 03-10-2004, 01:32 PM

:

luvinmama ~ dh is pulling for a boy, too, but I think he's thinking soccer.

#76 of 107 Old 03-10-2004, 01:38 PM

You know, I don't think I'll feel outnumbered if I'm carrying another boy; I'll still be the one in charge of our little benevolent dictatorship, so it's all good to me! :LOL : :LOL

Of course, that may all change when everyone is walking and talking... :

#77 of 107 Old 03-10-2004, 04:01 PM

Happy Birthday! Enjoy it!
#78 of 107 Old 03-11-2004, 11:07 AM

I am very excited because today I interview the homebirth midwife that I think we are going to choose. There is still a part of me that wants to have an unassisted homebirth - I'm so fiercely independent. But there's a small chance that DH won't be home when I go into labor and in that case I would prefer to have someone I can trust there or nearby.

Can anyone tell me or refer me to a site that explains what membrane stripping is? I am interested in a more clinical explanation. Just when you think you have a clear understanding of every intervention under the sun, there's a new one to learn about. :

I'm starting some sheets for our Moses basket this weekend - can't wait to pick out material!
#79 of 107 Old 03-11-2004, 12:25 PM

I found this link which lists various types of induction.

HTH!

#80 of 107 Old 03-11-2004, 12:28 PM

Here's a quick review (albeit very technical) about membrane sweeping.

Basically, you are detaching the sac from the uterus near the cervix. It can be painful and it isn't clear if this is useful or not.

QUOTE]This is one of a series of reviews of methods of cervical ripening and labour induction using standardised methodology.Sweeping of the membranes, also commonly named stripping of the membranes, is a relatively simple technique usually performed without admission to hospital. During vaginal examination, the clinician's finger is introduced into the cervical os. Then, the inferior pole of the membranes is detached from the lower uterine segment by a circular movement of the examining finger. This intervention has the potential to initiate labour by increasing local production of prostaglandins and, thus, reduce pregnancy duration or pre-empt formal induction of labour with either oxytocin, prostaglandins or amniotomy.[/QUOTE]
#81 of 107 Old 03-11-2004, 12:47 PM

Well, I'm looking forward to a real birthday celebration this weekend. Yesterday was a stinky birthday.

I just finished Peggy Vincent's book "Baby Catcher." I think I'll read it 10 or 12 more times! It's an incredible book, filled with poignant stories from her years as a homebirth midwife. I didn't think anything could top Ina May's Guide to Childbirth. But I don't know! I just loved both.

OMG! Ds has a new game today. It's "scare the bejeebies out of Mom at the computer!" He sneaks upstairs, stands in the doorway and waits for me to look his way. Then he ROARS with laughter. It's pretty funny!

Ds just tried to wake the baby up. I told him I'd go drink some orange juice, see if that does the trick.
#82 of 107 Old 03-11-2004, 04:20 PM

Hello ladies!

Well, I had my 20 week ultrasound today and everything looks great! We're having a little boy . It was wonderful to see the baby - he moved so much that my Dr. had a hard time catching him for pictures, which was really a relief because I only feel him move about 3 times a day.

Any of you second (or more) time mamas - are you more worried about the health of the baby this time around? With ds#1 I was so laid back, and for the most part, assumed that everything would be great. With this pregnancy I have been terrified that this child will have some sort of problem. Has anyone else experienced this? It seems to me that it would be more natural for my worries to have been with the first child - oh well.

ebeth mom: Sorry your birthday was stinky - hope your celebration goes well this weekend goes well!

Happiness and Health to everyone

Michelle - Mom to 3 very wonderful and very active boys   
#83 of 107 Old 03-11-2004, 04:34 PM

Congratulations, Danesmama!

I think I worry about somethings now just because I know what to expect. : Not to say I have any reason to actually worry based on past experiences, but I think I've just spent time this pregnancy looking into things I would perhaps like to do differently or want to be on top of things when dealing with doctors rather than just thinking, "whatever, you're the doctor." I just kind of blissfully went along with what they told me, rather than spending too much time on what would be good for me too since I hadn't ever done this before {mostly dealing with the induction which was a nightmare for me}.

#84 of 107 Old 03-11-2004, 05:44 PM

Happy birthday, ebethmom! . I too know what it's like to have a miserable birthday, and usually the actual celebration is better.

I'm not more worried about the baby's health this time, but I'm absolutely terrified of labor, because now I know the TRUTH: it's not just painful, it's absolutely agonizing. I'm not a pain wuss, I never have been, but my labor with Eli was nearly 5 days of absolute torture. : People keep telling me that every pregnancy and every labor and every delivery is different, but I haven't managed to shake the fear yet.

A lot of women are better informed the second time around as to all the potential complications of pregnancy & birth, so they're more likely to worry about unlikely events. This isn't true in my case; I did a lot of research and talked to lots of people who'd actually given birth before I had Eli. I wasn't worried then, and I'm not worried now about the baby's health. What I am worried about it labor, because while I know that most women honestly don't remember the pain (from their descriptions) I most assuredly do. My labor with Eli had much more in common with other traumas (car accidents, wars, abuse, violence) than it did with most births, and my responses to it were in line with that degree of trauma/pain. It sucked. I'm really not looking forward to doing that again, and I'm doing everything I can think of to make it turn out differently (which isn't much). Mostly, I pray. *sigh*

#85 of 107 Old 03-11-2004, 06:14 PM

I worried last time and I worry this time.

Getting pregnant is difficult for me. Being pregnant is hard on me. I want this to be my last time so I can enjoy my time raising my daughters.

I really put that pain of my labor out of my head. My logic is that if it hurts like last time, I'll still go home at somepoint with my family....

I try not to think of the pain...
#86 of 107 Old 03-11-2004, 11:59 PM

I've decide, at this last moment, that I'm not going to get an ultrasound. I'm kind of worried about it. I was going to do it because, I've already had two ultrasounds, for fetal age, and thought what the heck, I'm going for it.

But I just read that the baby hears it like a dog hears a dog whistle. I can't imagine what that might do to the babies hearing. It's ultra_sound___ It's too bad, cause I was soo curious about the sex of the baby. I know what it is anyway... A BOY.... So I'll let myself be suprised at the birth. *sigh*...

I love my little sprout soo much already. I'm so looking forward to meeting *him*.

Have any or all of you chosen the name for your new addition?
#87 of 107 Old 03-12-2004, 12:07 AM

I can hear dog whistles. : Seriously. I've actually met one other person who could, too. They are ridiculously loud, but I'm not sure if that's because they are loud or because people blow so hard on them because they can't hear them, kwim?

We have not agreed on a boy name yet. I'm getting ready to kick dh now. :LOL

#88 of 107 Old 03-12-2004, 12:36 AM

Hi everyone

Haven't posted in awhile....been very busy as usual. 11 more weeks of work then I'll be home for as long as possible. Can't wait for this!!

I've enjoyed hearing about everyone's diaper stash. I did not cloth diaper my first and am considering doing so with this one. Primarily for $$ reasons, so I can stay home longer. However, I tend to go crazy once I start something so am afraid that it would end up not saving $$. Also, very confused about what to get and when to get it and where to get it. I had a post on the diapering board awhile ago and this helped but I have not committed to sitting down and sorting through all the info I was given.

I have been having so many very strong kicks and rolls. You know, the kind of rolls that look as if your entire belly is distorted and rolling from side to side and you get a bit short of breathe!! also the other day I was lying on the couch with the tv remote sitting on my belly and the remote fell off because the baby kicked it...smart kid!!

Jen

jen mommy to dd1 (11y), dd2 (6y) and ds (3y)
#89 of 107 Old 03-12-2004, 09:38 AM

I hadn't heard the dog whistle, although I have heard that ultrasounds are ridiculously loud {of course this was after I'd had ds}. I shudder to think how many I had with ds. We're doing this one and it's the last, unless complications arise. And no video like the last time. This ob does it fast; they check for any visible problems, determine sex {if you choose} and that's it. Glad for the speed this time around.

We've picked out names and I'll share since I'm not telling anyone IRL and it's killing me, LOL. If it's a boy, his name will be Thatcher Dale {Dale is Dh's grandfather since ds's middle name is after my dad ~ compromise}. If it's a girl, her name will be Maia Grace, which is a name I threw out way way back and it seems to have stuck in Dh's head so he won't consider anything else. :LOL

I had such a strong kick last night! My mother had come over for dinner and was sitting next to me on the sofa and saw the little babe kick me so hard that I jumped and screamed. Wow, that was the strongest to date. I forgot how strong they can be.

#90 of 107 Old 03-12-2004, 10:50 AM

I also have a strong kicking little girl! I feel very comfortable with this as this is my first pregnancy and we are planning a home birth. It just makes me feel that if she can be so active now, that when it comes time to birth her, she will be agile enough to maneuver around my pelvic bones into this world. She helps make me feel confident about our homebirth decision- smart little girl. (Of course I might feel differently when she's playing bongos on my lungs in another month or two! : )

I can't wait to meet our little girl! We decided to name her Savannah Sinclair. The latter is a family name on my husband's side and the former is my favorite ecosystem (as well as a nice girl name.) We'll have to take her on a safari trip to Africa when she's 12 and have the family climb Kilamanjaro.

Yesterday I think I finally found the homebirth midwife we will be using! I feel so excited. I was very comfortable with her and her philosophy and practices and she'll disappear into the wallpaper if I need her to during delivery. She didn't even mind if I wanted to try delivering myself - and she'd just be there in case I needed her. Right on!

I am so happy today!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page