I'm Preg.- Pregnant after vasectomy...... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 44 Old 03-19-2010, 09:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has this happened to anyone here? Anyone you know? I'd specifically like to hear from the ones who got the "all clear" from their surgeon and went on to conceive a year or more later

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 44 Old 03-19-2010, 10:15 PM

I got pregnant after DH's vasectomy. We were careless and didn't wait the full 8 weeks before going w/out a condom. He had it done in early Oct and I conceived late Nov. I miscarried at the end of December.
#3 of 44 Old 03-19-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindermama View Post
Has this happened to anyone here? Anyone you know? I'd specifically like to hear from the ones who got the "all clear" from their surgeon and went on to conceive a year or more later
OMG, seriously? This happens with some kind of regularity? Surely it's more rare than birth control failures, right? We've already had an IUD-failure baby (two, actually)...and now after this baby we're heading for the permanent snip-snip. We REALLY want it to be effective!

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#4 of 44 Old 03-19-2010, 10:55 PM

I just talked to people about this yesterday. Like the pp said, you have to wait a period of time to be sure all is clear. They also told me that you can go back to the dr. to have it checked out to make sure everything is going well.

I am anxiously hoping to have DH snipped after we have this baby, so I would like to hear any pregnancy stories also.
#5 of 44 Old 03-20-2010, 12:41 AM

I good friend of mine concieved a year after the snip snip. It was a definate surprise. It can happen.

Chelsey Married to my Wonderful Husband Devin: Mama to James 9.7.08wild.gif , Joy 5.19.10 energy.gifTitus 3.37.12 biggrinbounce.gif10/07angel.gif  Macy dog2.gif : Expecting #4 belly.gif in August
#6 of 44 Old 03-20-2010, 01:17 AM

A friend of the family got pregnant a few years after her husband's vasectomy... with triplets. If you believe in God, that would be the sound of him laughing.

I think the rates are soooooo incredibly small, that compared to other birth control methods, it is still considered to be the best alternative to abstinence. It is our go-to method when we decide we are done. If there is truly no way we could have another child (health issues are the only thing I could imagine being a absolute for us), I would also get the essure procedure, so that our tiny chance of his V failing would be backed up by sterility on my side.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#7 of 44 Old 03-20-2010, 01:03 PM

My neighbor is very proud of the fact that they conceived a year or so after his vasectomy. He calls himself "Mr. One Percent Man! Yeah!"

I would like to have my husband get one after this babe is born, but I'm a bit worried now....

AP mama to two boys (5 , 3) fencing.gifand one sweet girl baby energy.gif
#8 of 44 Old 03-20-2010, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymae View Post
A friend of the family got pregnant a few years after her husband's vasectomy... with triplets. If you believe in God, that would be the sound of him laughing.
SERIOUSLY? that's ridiculous. i don't know what i would do in that situation!!

fuzmalesling.giffemalesling2.GIF mama to my spunky little girl, m, born 12/10/07 blahblah.gif, and my sweet little guy, k, born 10/27/10 babyf.gif
nocirc.gif familybed2.gif cd.gif homebirth.jpg nak.gif
#9 of 44 Old 03-20-2010, 03:00 PM

OT but kinda related, my mom got pregnant with ME the month after her tubal. lol. And about the triplets!!!! OH mAn!!
#10 of 44 Old 03-20-2010, 03:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
a good friend of mine was a post-v baby. It was several years after his dad was snipped
#11 of 44 Old 03-20-2010, 03:16 PM

Okay, I KNOW it doesn't matter what other people think and all that, but am I the only one who has thought about how unlikely it would look to everyone else? "Oh, didn't your husband have a vasectomy?..." "well yes, but it looks like I got pregnant anyway..."

I'm just imagining the stupid comments that might go along with this by anyone who knew about the vasectomy.

4 kids under 10
#12 of 44 Old 03-20-2010, 04:19 PM

For those that get the all clear, I wonder if it depends on what method was used for the vasectomy.
#13 of 44 Old 03-20-2010, 04:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivymae View Post
#14 of 44 Old 03-20-2010, 04:40 PM

Oh my word, I can't even imagine dealing with such a surprise! After all, people who made that decision are rarely feeling indecisive about their decision. That's like a "sell all the baby stuff!" moment, and you'd really have to do some scrambling!

CPST ***I can help keep your child safe in the car. Ask me a car seat question!***
#15 of 44 Old 03-20-2010, 05:43 PM

what's the essure procedure?

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#16 of 44 Old 03-20-2010, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
what's the essure procedure?
It's an insert that placed in the fallopian tubes. Scar tissue grows around it so egg and sperm can't meet. They follow it up with an HSG to make sure the tubes are completely blocked.

Body, I've been more than patient. Please make a baby. Please?
always loving my babies. (May 08)(April 09)(August 09)(September 09) (December 10)
#17 of 44 Old 03-20-2010, 06:45 PM

I just read this to DH and his first reaction was, "no."

He's got his vasectomy consult on 4/1 so this is front and center in our minds right now!

DH is getting the non-reversible version. I wonder if the stories of pregnancy-after-vasectomy are the reversible?

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#18 of 44 Old 03-20-2010, 08:17 PM

Am I the only one that thinks at least some of these "failures" are in reality infidelity related? Not saying V is always effective, but the number of "failure" stories I've personally heard seems pretty high compared to the less than 1% book rate.

Mom to 5, DS- 3/2006,  Twin boys-7/2010, B/G twins- 1/2012

#19 of 44 Old 03-20-2010, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlhousewifey View Post
Am I the only one that thinks at least some of these "failures" are in reality infidelity related? Not saying V is always effective, but the number of "failure" stories I've personally heard seems pretty high compared to the less than 1% book rate.
That was DH's second reaction.

"If, several years after my vasectomy you suddenly turned up pregnant, I would have a hard time not wondering what you'd been doing."

BUT, we're freakishly fertile, so if I were going to get pregnant post vasectomy I highly doubt it would take years, especially since we're going for the version in which they not only snip the vas, but also remove a section of it so that it can not be reversed at all, naturally or with another procedure.

Sarah - Mama to Vic (1/19/00), Syd (4/06/02) Sam (4/20/06-born at 30wk2d), JackJack (2/14/07) and Charlie (4/30/10)
#20 of 44 Old 03-20-2010, 09:02 PM

I have a friend who got pregnant eight years after having a tubal and her husband having a vasectomy... I guess that baby was meant to be!

Tara - nurse and wife to a nurse, mama to four, Izak (7/28/99), Liam (9/25/06), Freya (5/28/08) and Luna (5/19/10)
#21 of 44 Old 03-20-2010, 10:53 PM
2xy

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. If I were a man and my partner got pregnant after my vasectomy, I think I would wonder a bit....
#22 of 44 Old 03-20-2010, 11:51 PM

Quote:
I would have to say, yes SOME are from infidelity, no matter how much the wife tries to deny it.

I say this because I do have a friend whose husband was snipped and she had a baby... the whole pregnancy she denied cheating but once the baby was born it was obvious. They didn't really NEED the paternity testing as the child was very obviously a different race from either parent, but did it so the courts wouldn't order him to pay child support on a child who was obviously not his.

Of course, there are many instances of actual vasectomy babies too... but DF and I are still going that route because while it does happen... it really is quite rare.

(that said... I don't think I would actually feel all that insulted if DF insisted on a paternity test if I were to magically become pregnant after his vasectomy. Not that he doesn't trust me... but it is sort of unbelievable you know? And at least a test would return that trust.)

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#23 of 44 Old 03-20-2010, 11:54 PM

DH's cousin had a V, then a year later his wife was pregnant. No one believed her when she swore up and down she hadn't cheated, the cousin left her, taking their three kids with. When the new babe was born, a paternity test showed the cousin was the father, and a doc discovered he had a THIRD tube that wasn't snipped.

Thankfully they were able to repair their marriage.

Heathyr hang.gifBlessed Catholic Wife to DHwheelchair.gif Devoted Mama to DS1 biglaugh.gif(3/17/08) and DS2blowkiss.gif (8/5/2010)familybed1.gifcd.giflactivist.gifribboncesarean.gifx2 
#24 of 44 Old 03-20-2010, 11:58 PM

My little sister is a post-vasectomy baby. She's definitely my dad's, and he had the procedure re-done afterwards.

My first boyfriend's little brother (in my same hometown) was ALSO a post-vasectomy baby. We wondered, but never asked, if our dads had the same doctor.

Elated mom to Elliott (5/25/10)
#25 of 44 Old 03-21-2010, 02:27 PM

Vasectomy failures make for great, dramatic stories. That is why you hear so many of them. Who doesn't like to pass around these juicy tales?

In reality, the failure rate for vasecomy is 0.05%

The failure rate for tubal ligation is 0.5%, making it ten times more likely to result in unplanned pregnancy than a vasectomy.

http://www.vasectomy-information.com...ctober2006.htm

These stories are fun to pass around, but not a reason for someone to forego the V.
#26 of 44 Old 03-21-2010, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOakMomma View Post
Yeah...I went looking for the failure rates after reading this thread, too. A vasectomy is BY FAR the most effective method of birth control...way better than tubals, and a couple orders of magnitude better than traditional contraceptives.

As for my dh wondering if I'd cheated if I got pregnant...I'd actually be pretty insulted at that. I mean, if we were in a difficult spot in our marriage, maybe, but otherwise? .05 percent is tiny, yes, but that's still one in few thousand. It happens. Our older children have a genetic disorder that was 1 in 6000, and he didn't ask for a paternity test after that. Odds are odds.

And yeah, Good one.
I still think it would be reasonable to question someone. I wouldn't kick him out for asking if I'd cheated if I got pregnant after a vasectomy that was 'cleared' (the tests afterward for weeks/months).
Sure, it's possible. But I wouldn't ignore the 'unlikely' part, and I would probably feel compelled to have a DNA test done to erase any unspoken doubt.

4 kids under 10
#27 of 44 Old 03-21-2010, 11:11 PM

I'm speechless! I knew it could happen after a V but thought it was much rarer than all the posts. We're planning a V after this one is born, maybe we shouldn't throw away the baby stuff yet!

Married 16 yrs to DH, DS (3/06) x4 (11/04) (3/08) (3/09) (8/09)
DD born 9/24/2010 :
#28 of 44 Old 03-22-2010, 11:38 AM

I hope it is possible! My partner had a V in March of last year, and well, damn, I was not ready to be done, but he said after the birth of our 9th child (blended) HE WAS DONE...
#29 of 44 Old 03-22-2010, 01:08 PM

I know someone who got pregnant just before her dh got a V. about 8 weeks later, surprise! she found out she was pregnant. I would think that those kinds of V related stories would be more common.

the chance for failure does scare me a little, but my dh is still having one...soon!

Mama to Butterfly, B(ee), Bug, and Laniecakes

#30 of 44 Old 03-22-2010, 05:09 PM

MDC does not host debates about abortion. As such, I've removed all posts referencing abortion. Please keep this thread on topic. Thank you.

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page