stressed me, stressed baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2004, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm wondering if other people have experienced this - I know that being stressed while pg isn't good, but it's unavoidable for me because my father is suddenly very ill. But the more stressed I get, particularly on long crying jags, the baby moves a lot, kind of frantically, and my abdomen hurts. (This, of course, makes me more worried!) Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions?
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2004, 08:32 PM

I'm sad to hear you're going through this! Have you tried meditation, relaxation exercises, prayers? Affirmations? Whatever it takes to calm yourself down and get centered......I know it can be very challenging, but finding a peace about the things that are out of my control has often helped me deal with stress....esp. when pg!

Warm, healing thoughts,

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 03-03-2004, 10:39 PM

Yep, that happens to me. When I am particularly stressed out, I feel my uterus tightening up and it hurts so badly. Adam just moves around and it makes it worse. Take care.
Old 03-03-2004, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think everyone is stressed during pregnancy. For me, worrying about what it might be doing to the baby makes it worse. I just remind myself that the baby is wel-protected and if the stress were too much for it, I wouldn't be feeling it.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:04 AM

I'm sorry about what you are going through.

My suggestion is to get a Relaxation Tape. I love Journeying Through Pregnancy and Birth

Quote:
Regular use of this tape will:

- enhance deep relaxation and decrease anxiety
- help in lowering blood pressure
- teach positive coping and stress reduction skills
- reframe negative beliefs about pregnancy and birth and create new levels of awareness
- encourage self-nurturing & self-reliance while enhancing trust in, and cooperation with, the intelligence of the body

Useful for All pregnant women and especially those that are extremely anxious, or being treated for complications such as hypertension or any condition requiring increased rest.

Deep relaxation and visualization release powerful chemical substances as neuropeptides, neurotransmitters, immunomodulators, proven to have positive effets on the body-mind.
The only time that happened to me was 4 years ago in my last pg. I was arguing with my DH over circumcision. He was pro, I was anti, and I could feel my rage and blood pressure rise. That's when I felt my son reacting really strongly in utero.

I'm still stressed over non-pg issues now, but that's just my own nonsense... something I need to stop.

I'm going to listen to the CD tonight to help me relax... I have a cold and feel miserable. It can only help.

10 - boy
5.5 - girl
Old 03-04-2004, 12:29 AM

I just wanted to mention that I had a lot of stress during my 1st pregnancy and my dd turned to be extremely colicky. She was swaddled pretty much for her first 3 months of her life. She just cried and cried and cried. Don't know if its related but I have met some easy babies who's moms don't stress a lot and stressed moms whos babies just like to cry.

This pregnancy I have tried my best to relax but it is hard. I think anxious personalities run in my family. It is hard not pass stress onto children let alone in utero. Best of luck to you.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for your suggestions and confirmations that I'm not the only one who reacts this way. Prayer and relaxation tapes both seem to help, at least for a little while. Thanks also for the reassurance that the baby *is* well-protected. That's something that is easy for me to lose sight of at times.
Plus, I have good news today - it looks like my father is doing much better!
-cheryl
Old 03-04-2004, 06:13 PM

Sorry to hear you're going through all this...

We are actually under quite a bit of stress right now, too. And I am due with baby#2 in early August. I was concerned, so I talked to my doc about it. Of course, it's not great for you to be stressed, but my doc said that they've done studies on pregnant women in war-torn countries-even back during WW2. And they found that almost across the board the babies were fine-even when their mothers were in sometimes life-threatening situations. Our biology has provided a really safe environment for them and they are very, very resilient little guys/glas.

But I will say again that it's not the best for the mommy, of course. So even with all this turmoil going on, you have to remember to BREATHE. And take care of yourself in every way you can...

User Tag List