What does a dilating/dilated cervix feel like? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-30-2010, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Last night I felt my cervix. It's so different feeling than it was when I was ttc and doing cervical checks! It's soft, kinda mushy, but with definite sides and it seems closed. Is like a swollen and soft version of it's old self! I felt the Os and it was closed but the outter maybe 1/16th of an inch was soft and the very tip of a finger could prolly' nest in it.

So when it starts dilating what does it feel like? Does the mushy Os just get so soft that anything can squeeze through the mush? Does it open up and feel like a nostril with a definite hole?

X-posted in B&B

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2010, 02:37 PM

You discription of a pregnant cervix is consistant with my experience.

IME It gets soooo much softer, like pudding (the instant kind) and the os just kind of melts open, not with totaly obvious sides. The protruding chin/nose aspect flattens out. You have to sort of find the sides later on. It does totally disappear/get drawn back in the process of labor

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:30 PM

You may want to X-post your question to the Unassisted birth forum too.

DH&Me  Christ follower, homeschooler, gardener, (insert lots of additional crunchiness here) chicken mama, & occasionally blogger. intactlact.gifMama of  boys 9,7,3.5,&11months....& SURPRISE jaw2.gif  expecting a BOY in November!  7 sweet-babes gone too soon.

Old 03-30-2010, 10:44 PM

Here's a good article for you: http://www.joyousbirth.info/articles...xlearning.html

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

Old 03-31-2010, 12:03 AM

When I checked it at 36 weeks I could easily slide my finger into the Os. I think it was still technically "closed" but could be stretched to one cm. The feeling was a little freaky to me, even though I'm an avid CP checker. I was scared to do damage I guess.
2 weeks later I could feel a tiny gap. I could litterally feel all around, like the sides of a doughnut with an opening in the center, and I could feel what I guess was the bag of waters about half a cm into the doughnut, if that makes sense.
I happened to check CP the night before I went into labour. I'm pretty sure I was 3cm. I could feel teh doughnut again and it had a bigger hole in it. And the bag of waters was litterally protruding out slightly past the doughnut. I could press on the bag, and it and it would give until I hit something hard and flat. I assumed at the time it was the baby's head, but in hindsight I think it was the second bag of waters, because while in labour my forewaters broke at 8cm, and then the rest broke when I was fully dilated.

But yea it was like you discribe. Soft and squishy. I'm sure if you start to dilate you'll be able to tell. You sound like you know what you're doing

Mom to angel baby, grew wings at 5 weeks in May '07, William, born Dec '08, and another angel who grew wings at 8w4d (lost at 11w) in Oct '10. Rachel born Feb 2012, Another angel Lost Sept '13. New bean due Nov '14!
Old 03-31-2010, 12:40 AM

at about 16 weeks i checked mine and it was just like you described yours to be, soft at the opening (but not like pudding), you could fit probably a whole fingertip in it and then you could tell it was closed. my doc checked it at 22 weeks and said that can be completely normal. not sure how a dialating cervix feels, but wanted to tell you that your cervix sounds normal to me.

Jessicaintactlact.gif, wife to Derricklurk.gif, missing Joslyn angel3.gif, 22 weeks 06.18.08, rainbow1284.gifBaby Kai Ambrose 05.10.10 and Isla Blythe born on Thanksgiving '12 uc.jpg

User Tag List