pregnancy yeast infection, group b strep - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 04-01-2010, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm 15 weeks pregnant, and got the results back from some tests, I've tested positive for a vaginal yeast infection, as well as group b strep in the urine (which means it's also in the vagina). The midwifes want to treat the group b strep with 3 days of antibiotics, which will make the yeast infection worse. Anyone with any ideas of how to get rid of both naturally? I'm already on probiotics, & eat healthy.
#2 of 5 Old 04-01-2010, 06:30 PM

Gbs in urine can be a big deal and it means you have a high colonization vaginally. I'd treat the gbs with the antibiotics and then treat the yeast with whatever OTC or natural treatment has worked for you in the past.

Cindy, joyful SAH mama to rainbow1284.gif William & Katherinefly-by-nursing2.gif Forever missing Amelia 7-12-09 angel3.gif  signcirc1.gifsaynovax.giflactivist.gif Ask me about my natural cesarean! 

#3 of 5 Old 04-01-2010, 08:01 PM

At this point I honestly wouldnt worry about the GBS in your urine. I have tested positive for GBS in my urine for 12 years whether they treat me for it or not. From what I've read, and my own experience, some women just have it. It doesnt cause me any problems, nor have I had issues with either of my pregnancies because of it. The only time I had it treated was at the beginning of my pregnancy and by 36 weeks when they tested again, I still had it.
There are many first world countries with better models of obstetric care than ours that dont bother with GBS testing at all.

In your shoes, I'd treat the yeast infection, work on probiotics, etc and not stress too much about GBS at this point.
Theres a terrific article about GBS here:

http://www.mothering.com/treating-gr...tics-necessary
#4 of 5 Old 04-01-2010, 08:13 PM

There are so many great at-home remedies for yeast infections that AFAIK don't interfere at all with pregnancy. You may want to double check with your MW, though.
  • Gentian Violet (works on vaginal yeast just as well as on other types of yeast)
  • Garlic suppositories
  • Acidophilus (orally or vaginally)
  • Plain yogurt with active cultures
  • Avoiding douches/sprays/soaps in the vagina/vulva
  • Wear only cotton undies/pants/skirts or nothing at all (yeast incubates in moist, hot environments)

I'll PM you with a link to a site that list out specific how-tos for each of those methods.

Hope you get some relief soon!

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#5 of 5 Old 04-01-2010, 10:26 PM

Yeasts natural enemey is Acidophilus. Lots of it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page