Maternal instinct about sex of baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 55 Old 04-04-2010, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
So, I keep reading these posts about babies being born and the mom was just for sure it was a boy/girl and the baby came out the opposite. I am wondering how often that happens where our instinct is not correct. So, did you have a strong instinct that your baby was for sure one sex and when it was born it came out the opposite sex?

Lisa
#2 of 55 Old 04-04-2010, 11:17 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS I just KNEW was a boy.

DD I had no clue.

This one I just KNOW is a boy... ultrasound in about 4 weeks to find out but I am just absolutely positive its a boy.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#3 of 55 Old 04-04-2010, 11:26 PM

I am 31 weeks and I have absolutely no instinct as to whether it's a boy or a girl. Perhaps it's a hermaphrodite? I can't imagine that anybody could feel for sure what it is, only guess and guess right or wrong! But maybe that's just my bad attitude
Sorry that doesn't help you! I just get kind of mad at all the people who ask me and really act like "how can you not just KNOW?!" grrrr...
#4 of 55 Old 04-04-2010, 11:29 PM

I was 100% positive dd was a boy. With ds I didnt even try to figure it out.

SAHMlady.gifread.giflovin' trekkie.giffan intactivist.gifwinner.jpg to loveeyes.gifenergy.gifDD 10/00 & superhero.gifmoon.gifDS 10/04 ribbonpb.gifIf your ds is intact, keep him safe, visit the Case Against Circ forumnocirc.gifCirc, a personal choice, Your sonsyes.gifbrokenheart.gif11/98brokenheart.gif6/99ribbonbrown.gifanti-tobaccoribbonyellow.gifThyroid cancer survivor. With cat.gif& goldfish.gif & (Boxer)dog2.gif wishing 4 whale.gif&ribbonwhite.gifsigncirc1.gifselectivevax.gifdelayedvax.gif

#5 of 55 Old 04-04-2010, 11:54 PM

I was 100% convinced during my first pregnancy that I was having a girl, by 12 weeks she had a name and I had drempt of her many times. Sure enough, she looks exactly like the little girl I drempt about.

With this one, I'm leaning towards boy, I had a "It's a boy dream" but I never saw the baby. I am having a hard time looking at girl names, I'm totally drawn to boy names. But I'm not convinced that it is a boy for some reason. I guess leaning towards just isn't a strong enough feeling for me. Time will tell!

Amanda
Mom to Reya (13) and Little baby Lila 9/22

http://arealwomanssweatjournal.blogspot.com

#6 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by is it puppies? View Post
I am 31 weeks and I have absolutely no instinct as to whether it's a boy or a girl. Perhaps it's a hermaphrodite? I can't imagine that anybody could feel for sure what it is, only guess and guess right or wrong! But maybe that's just my bad attitude
Sorry that doesn't help you! I just get kind of mad at all the people who ask me and really act like "how can you not just KNOW?!" grrrr...
Lmbo! I kwym! It's pretty frustrating when people make the insinuation that I am somehow disconnected from my baby just because I'm not psychic. I am only 16 weeks but with this LO I have no clue what the gender is instinct wise...and fwiw, with both of my DDs, I was totally convinced they were boys, lol, so who knows. I'm sorry, I know that is probably not helpful, I just try not to get too worried about it, I mean my guesses were off with my girlies but I still think I have a great maternal instinct (just apparently not about their gender :P )

Kellylady.gif, married to the love of my life, Denpeace.gif , DD1 5/07dust.gif , 11/07, DD2 10/08modifiedartist.gif , DDS 8/10jammin.gif, expecting our next blessing this winter!

#7 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 12:31 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I was eerily certain DD was a boy, particularly because at the end of the pregnancy we suddenly discovered the perfect boy's name. But nope.

If decomposition persists please see your necromancer.

#8 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 12:56 AM

I definitely thought this baby was a boy.. i have only had boys so far, so it was a pretty safe bet, plus the facial hair and belly shape suggested boy to me.. and my timing for a girl was a bit off..

the only indications I had that this baby MIGHT be a girl, was that I was not sick as a dog like I was with my previous pregnancies.

My subconscious keeps rearing its head though as I admire cute boy diapers, etc..
#9 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinoikoi View Post

My subconscious keeps rearing its head though as I admire cute boy diapers, etc..

Same here! I was positive that this baby was going to be a boy too, so did my DH. So it was a big shock when we were told at our 20-week scan that this is one is a girl! Actually I still cannot get over it and sometimes I catch myself longing for another baby boy

And although I spent my entire life wanting a baby girl merely to dress her up in those cute girlish clothes and do her hair with super cute pins (that was before I had my DS) now whenever I go shopping I find myself admiring the boy clothes
#10 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 07:33 AM

My instincts have been right every time even before i even positive and even though i'm not yet pregnant (at least i'm pretty sure i'm not actually pregnant, maybe having a phantom pregnancy) anyhow i have this real strong gut instinct that my next baby IS going to be a girl so much so i bought a couple of girl's clothes items in a sale and i have a girl name already picked (also have a boys name but thats incase i have twins loll because there are twins and triplets in our family)

Becky, sahm to angel.gif25/04/2000 Chloe 12/04/2002 Cameron 19/02/2004 Caitlin 28/06/2005 angel.gif24/07/2006 and Caden 14/03/2008

Xander 19/05/2011
angel.gif 19.05.2012 angel.gif 18.08.2012 angel.gif 24.05.2013 angel.gif 25.6.2013 belly.gif 04.09.2014 uc.jpg

#11 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 07:39 AM

I was convinced my baby was a girl-- dreamed about a girl, came up w. girl names...I had no doubt...

and had a boy. If I had had a girl I would be out there saying I knew for sure etc

but it's possible to be wrong! And whatever you think or guess you are having you have a 50/50 chance...

Zoe, mama to Thomas 1/06
#12 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 08:02 AM

I was right about the gender 3 out of 4 times. WIth my first ds I just had a feeling. Before I even knew I was pregnant with #2, I dreamed that my mom's friend told me I was pregnant and that it was a girl, and all throughout the prenancy I just knew it was a girl, and she was. I dreamed that baby 3 was a boy, and during the pregnancy I had "boy" feelings, and he was.

WIth my last pregnancy I really wanted another girl and I was convinced that was what I was having.

Then about two weeks before baby came I had a dream that it was a boy, and every time I pictured myself with the new baby I could only picture it as a boy. I couldn't imagine having another girl.

When ds was born I was a bit surprised and a bit disappointed, but then it just seemed totally natural, like "Of course it's a boy!" And then I remembered the dream I had before I found out I was pregnant in which a friend sent me a bunch of newborn boy clothes.
#13 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 08:55 AM

I've got a 50/50 track record. With my first, I was sure she would be a girl, and she was. With my second, I was SURE, SURE it was a girl. At my 20 week u/s I kept asking, are you absolutely sure it's a boy, like 100% sure? They were. I had two more u/s, one due to partial placenta previa and one due to a car accident at 38 weeks, both times I kept asking, still a boy? Yep, still a boy. My pregnancy this time is totally different. It's been MUCH harder, I've been way more sick, more tired, it's been rough. But after two very easy, eerily similar pregnancies that yeilded a boy and a girl, and I have no guess at all! I don't think we are going to find out either, and really, I'm clueless!

sleepytime.gifC.- WOHM, CPST Instructor, and all around busy Mama to  blowkiss.gifA.- 02/04, bouncy.gif I. 01/07,babyf.gifE. 09/10 and

stork-suprise.gif expecting the surprise of our lives Fall 2012!

#14 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 10:36 AM

DH and I were both convinced we were having a girl this time. And my mom and sister thought so too. I even almost bought a few adorable dresses and coats I saw when on holidays during the very early part of my pregnancy. We already have a name picked out for when (if) we have a girl, so I thought we were all set.

Well, we were both super surprised to find out a month ago at the u/s that it's a boy! And it's definitely a boy. We have a few clear shots of it.

I am generally a fairly intuitive person and this is something I thought I would be right about. (I was right about the sex of our loss last year though.)

S, wife to M, missing my angel baby (May 2009) and just welcomed our son, D, 7 lbs 2 oz, 20.5".
#15 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoe196 View Post
but it's possible to be wrong! And whatever you think or guess you are having you have a 50/50 chance...
From what Ive seen moms tend to have around a 70% chance of being right if they are following their gut instincts and not just what they want... oddly enough. (based on some actual studies... im doing a very unscientific study in my DDC right now to see what our odds are lol)

Much better odds than any old wives tales.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#16 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 12:15 PM

Didn't have any real instict with our boys, but had very clear dreams that this one is a girl. I've never been so certain as in this pregnancy. My dreams were right.

I always seem to start out suspecting one sex, though, and around the start of the second trimester I switch, or at least my leaning firms up. After that switch I've been more "accurate."

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#17 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 12:24 PM

For the first, I was reluctant to guess, but I had a boy name I loved and no girl name. Somehow, I took the fact that I couldn't think of a girl name as a sign that it was a girl and it was!

And then second time around, I felt like it was a boy right away, and on top of that was stumped for a boy name, and he was a boy.

This time, I have no strong feeling, no names... fraternal twins?!! Or maybe I'm just tired!
#18 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 12:25 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have a 100% track record. Four kids all guessed perfectly-and my friends' kids. I always just know. There is a fine line between wishful thinking and instinct, though. This one because of symptoms and a dream, I believe is a boy. Plus I just can not think of girl names! With my other four I had dreams before I even knew I was pg about what they were.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#19 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 12:29 PM

I was really expecting DD to be a boy. I honestly did not care whether I had a boy or girl, AT ALL, but I just felt like she was a boy, all my dreams were of boys (except one at the very end), everyone else said it would be a boy, etc. I even bought a couple of boy clothes. Girl. I was very surpised but definitely just as happy!

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
#20 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 12:30 PM

1 out of my three was wrong... I was right w/my first two, but was totally convinced up until he was born (despite having had an ultrasound at 18 weeks and being told "boy") that ds2 would be a girl.

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#21 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 12:34 PM

I was sure DS was a boy, and he was.

This time, I've been feeling girl the whole time, but as we get towards the end (any day now!) I've been starting to feel boy.

The thing is, my DH clouds my judgment. We don't find out at the 20 week ultrasound, but he has both time sworn he has seen or not seen something. So this time he's been telling me its a girl, and I can totally feel that. On the other hand, I've just had a feeling over the past couple weeks that it's boy.

Ahhh the anticipation! I would love love love either, and love both of our names, so now its just a matter of being patient. I'd say at this point my intuition is broken though ;-

Mommy to two super cute kids.
#22 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingercat View Post

Same here! I was positive that this baby was going to be a boy too, so did my DH. So it was a big shock when we were told at our 20-week scan that this is one is a girl! Actually I still cannot get over it and sometimes I catch myself longing for another baby boy
Same here! Although I'm very happy with our girl, I still haven't completely gotten over the surprise of learning that we had a little girl at the 18-week ultrasound. I'm 23 weeks now. I don't know why but I was absolutely convinced, deep down, that it was a boy.

caffix.gif
#23 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 01:33 PM

i was 100% sure all three times and i was right all three

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#24 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 01:50 PM

With DD I wanted a boy and thought she was. I didn't have any dreams about gender, and looking back I didn't really have an intuitive feeling about it. I think it was just mostly that I was hoping for a boy. My mom kept telling me it was a girl and she was right! I found out at the 20 weeks ultrasound.

With this pregnancy I wasn't really 'hoping' for either gender. I was also pretty neutral in my feelings about what the gender was at first. But right around 16 weeks I started having really strong boy vibes that only continued to get stronger. I had a couple of boy dreams, and kept catching myself saying 'he'. Our 20 week ultrasound showed boy 100%. I wasn't surprised at all, but very very happy. I really felt I was more in tune this time and not just having wishful thinking.

With that said though, I think the feeling gets stronger as the pregnancy progresses. I kind of think that if I hadn't gotten the 20 ultrasound with DD I would have eventually gotten girl vibes.

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#25 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 04:36 PM

I was 100% sure I was having a girl all 3 times and I was right all 3 times. I knew all three even before they were conceived. I could feel them around me. I had very vivid dreams where I saw all 3 of them and they looked exactly like that....personality traits were there too! It was the most vivid with my last baby....to a T! She told me her name in the dream and we used it as her middle name (Kate).

I have also accurately predicted 4 of my closest friends & SIL pregnancies and baby genders! I have very vivid dreams.

Consciously mothering 3 girls and 2 boys
#26 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindermama View Post
I was 100% sure I was having a girl all 3 times and I was right all 3 times. I knew all three even before they were conceived. I could feel them around me. I had very vivid dreams where I saw all 3 of them and they looked exactly like that....personality traits were there too! It was the most vivid with my last baby....to a T! She told me her name in the dream and we used it as her middle name (Kate).

I have also accurately predicted 4 of my closest friends & SIL pregnancies and baby genders! I have very vivid dreams.
Unfortunately, I had the same experience all 3 times - but my third had male parts (but I still feel like he has a feminine-ish soul...) I'm still kind of stunned that he's a boy...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#27 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 05:30 PM

I was sure I was having a boy, but she popped out a girl.

This one I never got a chance to really guess before we found out.

FWIW, I can guess my friends' babies with a ~92% accuracy! But my own? Yeah, notsogood!

Mi vida loca: full-time WOHM, frugalista, foodie wannabe, 10+ years of TCOYF 

R-E-S-P-E-C-T spells BRAND NEW User Agreement!!

#28 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 06:07 PM

I always had dreams where I "met" the spirit of my babies. In each of my three previous ones I guessed the gender right from these dreams way before the u/s. This time I feel very sure it is a boy - dreamt I saw him on an ultrasound, but still didn't "meet" him in a dream.

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#29 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 06:35 PM

With my first, I really wanted a girl--I am the oldest daughter of an oldest daughter of an...for 5 generations, so I thought we'd keep up that trend, but we had a boy, and that was perfect. With number two, DH had a dream that we had a girl, and we did. Before I was pregnant with number 3, I was thinking about our kids and wondering what we'd have next and the thought popped into my head, "you'll have a girl and her name will be __". And she was! This time around, we're getting pretty strong boy vibes, tho I had some twin vibes messing with my head too, lol.

caution: one-handed nak

typos likely

#30 of 55 Old 04-05-2010, 07:18 PM

I just knew my DS would be a boy from the very beginning. But I had always wanted my first child to be a boy, so I didn't have a lot of confidence in my intuition. However, when my DH (who really really doesn't believe in intuitive stuff) was also sure DS would be a boy and my sister was sure it was a boy, I felt like it was a certainty. We were all right, it's a boy!

SAHM to DS (11/09) with a little girl coming in October stork-girl.gif familybed1.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page