Sudden Leg Swelling - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-05-2010, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well this is new for me.

I'm on baby number 3. 34 weeks pregnant exactly and this afternoon my legs suddenly swelled. I've had very mild swelling in my feet after lots of walking, and my fingers more so if it has been a warm day.

I wouldn't say it is bad. Just surprising. And one leg is worse than the other.

Should I be worried?

I'm sitting with them up and guzzling the water.

TIA
#2 of 7 Old 04-05-2010, 06:17 PM

Defninitely stay hydrated - but do tell your caregiver just for their information. Swelling can be quite normal, but your caregiver could tell you if yours was not. Hope you are feeling well!

Mandi - Doula/Childbirth Educator, Loving my DH, DS, DD, DD, missing my three (last m/c 4/2010)
#3 of 7 Old 04-05-2010, 06:21 PM - Thread Starter

I was just in this morning for a regular appointment. I don't even know what I'd say! Ugh!
#4 of 7 Old 04-05-2010, 06:33 PM

just say... I have sudden swelling in my legs.

Its one of those little symptoms that they need to keep track of in case you get other little symptoms (like seeing spots) that point to some severe problems.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#5 of 7 Old 04-05-2010, 09:12 PM

I just dealt with this same problem. It is very annoying and I found it a bit concerning since it appeared all of a sudden too. Based on my midwifery education (student) and my midwife's advice, this is what I did and it worked - I increased my protein intake by about 25-30grams a day (I added an egg to my breakfast, cheese and crackers mid-morning and made sure to eat a handful of almonds in the afternoon in addition to my usual 3 meals a day). I also try to be mindful of salting my food to taste and I find yoga really helps too. Within 4-5 days, my feet and legs were pretty much back to normal. I have been eating well all through my pregnancy but there was a week when I was on vacation from work and not in my usual routine...think I wasn't eating as much and my body let me know.
you can google blue ribbon baby, Dr Tom Brewer or Brewer diet for information about the connection between diet and swelling/protein in urine/high blood pressure. I can't imagine following their diet advice to a tee - that is a lot of food! I just go with the principles of it all. I agree that it's wise to call your health care practitioner so they can make sure nothing serious is brewing.
I really hope it settles for you soon

married to DH, mother to two amazing little boys born May 18/2010 and May 20/2013!

Infertility has been part of this journey - no more littles for us, but so grateful we have two happy healthy boys and we can now begin to heal from that experience

#6 of 7 Old 04-06-2010, 12:11 AM

I would definitely call. just in case. are you feeling any pain in the leg when you walk or put pressure on it? if so, is the pain localized or a general dull. Be sure to mention these things to you health care provider! My guess is that its just a common symptom. Id cut down on the salt (easier said than done, i know, i just salted up a meal myself thinking, 'stop, no more, no, dont add more." my brain couldnt control my hands! haha.

goodluck!!!

Lauren , DH , DD 02/2007 and expecting #2 (12/7/10)! We
#7 of 7 Old 04-06-2010, 10:52 AM - Thread Starter

I never called. My gut just told me it wasn't necessary. There was no pain at all. I wouldn't have noticed except I could feel the difference in their size when I went to change my pants.

I laid down all night last night and drank lots of water. By bed time they looked nearly normal. At wake up this morning they were normal.

Apparently my body doesn't like for me to sit upright at the edge of a chair (like when working on a computer) too long. The instant I get in that position or stand for too long I can feel them starting to swell.

So I'm staying off them with them up as best I can with two little ones running around. I have a photo shoot (I'm a freelance photographer) for about 2 1/2 hours (plus about an hour in the car) out in 85 degree heat with lots of walking tomorrow afternoon. I'm a bit worried about that one! Not sure I can do anything about it though.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page