Has anyone gotten IV iron infusions for anemia while pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 04-05-2010, 08:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got three IV infusion sessions coming up and I'm wondering about what to expect and when I can get some of my energy/health back. I'm 32 weeks along today, so it really could come soon enough.

Has anyone else done this? How was it? When did you start noticing a difference?

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#2 of 7 Old 04-06-2010, 10:15 AM

Hi, To-Fu. I haven't had this, but a friend who is due about a week after me is in the same situation. She was told that it will take a couple of weeks to feel the effects. However, I saw her about a week after she completed the treatment and her color was better and she seemed much perkier. She has other health issues so maybe you'll feel it yourself sooner. She also said that the treatment itself was no big deal. I thought it might be a bit icky.

Jezza, wife to T, oldmommers to E (7), A (4mos.) and three kitties
#3 of 7 Old 04-06-2010, 10:48 AM

Not while pregnant--but oh, how I wanted one. I was flirting with the level where my hematologist would consider it, but she decided to wait until postpartum. And yes, I always notice increased energy and function (appetite, less breathlessness, alertness) a few days after my levels get up to reasonable numbers.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#4 of 7 Old 04-06-2010, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much. Sounds like good news so far. It's so late in pregnancy and I really don't want to gamble and spend the rest of the time fighting to get my iron levels up.

Any more input would be so appreciated!

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
#5 of 7 Old 04-06-2010, 06:02 PM

I wasn't pregnant when I had my iron transfusion, but the doctor told me it would take about a week to feel the effects. In reality, I felt like a million bucks within just a couple days. (I credit the infusion with giving me the energy to get my health under control and enabling me to conceive. I had been trying, while battling severe anemia, for ten years.) Now I'm pregnant and my iron is plummeting and I'm considering doing it again.
#6 of 7 Old 04-08-2010, 10:05 AM

My hematologist was hesitant to do an infusion while I was pregnant because of the risk of anaphylaxis. I have a history of anaphylaxis (foods, latex), which makes her a bit more careful/watchful when I have IV iron. She didn't want to risk it while I was pregnant. She was also only willing to do it before the third trimester, for whatever reason.

As I said, I was really wanting one. They just make me feel so awesome.

Chasing DS since April 2007 and pumping for DD March 2013.

#7 of 7 Old 04-13-2012, 09:17 AM

i had 25 iv iron infusions back in 98 in the 2 month of my pregnacy with my son, at the time we didnt know i had a tumor in my abdomen that had been causing multi misscarriges, but a hemotoligist got a hold of my records and offered to do these iv iron infustions with risk to my unborn child, which at that point didnt really scare me i wanted my lil boy. it saved my pregnacy my son is 13 now, how ever during the pregnacy his femur bones where not normal size, I went through alot of test for dwarfism, they checked his heart too it turns out that he was born club foot in both feet, it was severe, there was not talk about wether or not the iv iron infusions had caused this. I did carry him breech the entire time and club feet they still dont know the cause. i hope this helps i am sharing the info of the scares to my unborn child not to scare you, my sons feet were corrected by one of the best surgeons in Indpls. Indiana of riley hospital for children. wether or not the iv iron infusions where a cause i honestly never got an answer. my son is a healthy 13 year old and never have i regretted taken those treatment. now they did break them down due to me being pregnant so each day for 5 weeks, they put 100 mg of iron in, so they had to do it slowly. i hope this helps:) good luck:) 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page