Doc says baby is HUGE - *UPDATE* page 4 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 69 Old 04-19-2010, 11:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My first dd was supposedly a big baby going by my OB, so I was induced...guess what she was a whopping 8+lbs!

I went on to have my son who was 10+lbs. with a 15" head and a chest measurement of just a bit more and he was born safely....Yes he DID have shoulder dystocia but was only stuck for a couple of minutes and was freed after only 2 position changes and my m/w reaching in and freeing one of his shoulders.

FWIW, I am 5'5" and was about 125lbs. pre-pregnancy (of course this was years ago as I haven't stepped on a scale except for prenatal appts.)

You can do this! You have proven you can.
#62 of 69 Old 04-20-2010, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

*UPDATE*

I've decided that I will have more peace of mind if I go back to the midwives' practice where I know that they take a less-intervention-is-better approach.

I called out to the office that is closest to me and the midwife there is booked solid for August births.

I called one of their other locations and they were able to add me to their list of August mamas! I'm in!

Now I need to figure out how to break up with my current OB. I'm thinking of writing him a letter, thanking him for his care thus far but explaining that I want to try for another water birth and his hospital does not allow them.

Many, many thanks to all of you for your support and for sharing your experiences. You really helped me to trust the little warning bells that were going off for me when he mentioned inducing for size.

Thank you again!

Catholic homeschooling mom of two daughters and four sons... baby Mark born on 8/27/10. Kidney Disease Awareness
#63 of 69 Old 04-20-2010, 05:40 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Congratulations on finding a midwife! As for breaking up with the OB... when I left mine, I just asked for my records... I didn't give any explanations

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#64 of 69 Old 04-20-2010, 05:45 PM

They don't really need an explanation just tell them you are switching practices and that you need your records. If they ask for a reason just tell them it is for your own comfort.

Artist, photographer, stay-at-home-mom and Marine wife. Mom to 4; a boy and three little girls.
#65 of 69 Old 04-20-2010, 05:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
You could just say you wanted a midwife since you'd had one for your other births...

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#66 of 69 Old 04-20-2010, 05:55 PM

I wouldn't just blow him off and just say you decided to switch, I would be honest and tell him why, that way even if he is like "whatever" you are still letting him know your feelings, and how uncomfortable you were with the big baby theory, who knows maybe he will learn.. probably not, but it wouldn't hurt.

Loving Dh, Mama x 4, Surrogate mother to 5. A born 2003, M and R girl/girl twins 2006, S and C boy/girl twins born 2010. Processing/healing.
#67 of 69 Old 04-20-2010, 06:03 PM

Yay for getting in with the midwives!!

For leaving - if it were me, I'd go with one of two options.
1) the nonconfrontational method, just cancel any future appointments, ask for records and be done with it.

2) let him know exactly why you're leaving. I think it's important to let OBs like this know that their outdated and non-evidence based decisions are costing them patients (and hence, money).

Em, married to Alex, mom to Samantha (11 yrs) and Cullen (5yrs) and Maybe (5/16/2010) Trying to grow 4,000lbs of produce on .2 acres. See my blog!
#68 of 69 Old 04-20-2010, 06:14 PM

Saw this in 'new posts' and read the thread.

I think you've made the right decision. And, once you've got your files, then I would (if I were you) send a letter with the ACOG recommendations re: macrosemia (no inductions) stating that that, coupled with the fact that you have safely birthed 5 other babies of relatively consistent births already, has led you to seek care elsewhere after he suggested an induction and a "Giant Baby." He does need that feedback. Maybe it will change the way he works, at least a little.

It is nice to hear so many "big vaginal baby" stories. I've been a little down about it lately -- my babies have been small (6.5 and 8 lbs) -- but I have a friend who had c/s with both; the first was "too big, needed a c/s" -- following an induction and stalled labor; the second the doctor said was "not worth the risk, given how big #1 was." Her mother had three babies; first was a breech c/s, so the rest were all c/s (and large). And her sister just had a nearly 11 pound baby - again, an induction and then c/s when labor didn't progress. Frankly, I think her family runs to 'big babies' and later deliveries --- I feel really sad for my friend's dd, who is going to grow up believing that women in her family just have 'big babies' and can't deliver them (that's actually what what her sister said, "My body just couldn't give birth, so the doctor had to do it for me."). But I've also been questioning my belief that larger babies can be safely delivered vaginally, given her sister's story. So it's good to hear about the 'big babies' whose mothers and HCPs had patience and support during birth.

All I would add, for OP, would be to familiarize yourself with the Gaskin maneuver, in the event the OB is correct - but I bet your MWs are also familiar with it and would handle everything fine anyway.

Not all who wander are lost.
#69 of 69 Old 04-21-2010, 11:22 PM

I had a chunky monkey that was 19.5 inches and 9.9 lbs. They estimated 10.9 lbs at 38 1/2 weeks, and she was 9.9 lbs when born at 39 weeks.

My niece was 9.15 lbs, and she was born vaginally. They had to deal with shoulder dystocia and her collar bone was broken in the attempt to get her out. She's fine and momma's on her fourth pregnancy now.

Midwives in general seem to be more up on ways to speed deliveries along when there is macrosomia. They're also a heck of a lot less willing to just schedule a c-section out of convenience.

Good luck with that little chubby monkey. You can do it!

Wife to DH, mama to bikenew.gif DD (7) ribboncesarean.gif, babyf.gif DS born 3/12 ribboncesarean.gif, and have had five early losses. angel1.gif
I have Stiff Person Syndrome and my other car is a candy apple red Rascal. Feel free to ask me about it. wheelchair.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page