what to register for - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-23-2010, 02:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all My sister is expecting and asked if I could help her compile a list of things that she should register for based on what I used and liked. My youngest baby is now 4yo, so its been a while since I've looked at baby stuff .

Here is my list so far.

If anyone has any other idea of things she could register for - she's an eco conscious/naturally minded mama too - I'd greatly appreciate it! I'm going to share this link with her. Thanks!

My Breast Friend nursing pillow
Lansinoh breast cream
Lansinoh wipes
Lansinoh breast pads
Cloth breast pads
Fuzzi Bunz diapers w/inserts
Cloth diaper changing pad
wet/dry diaper pail bag
wet/dry diaper bag (small)
Kangaroo Korner baby sling/pouch
California baby soaps, lotions, diaper creams, etc
organic co-sleeper
jogging stroller - for the great outdoors ;o)
organic cloth toys and teethers
wooden toys and teethers
robeez soft shoes

books
La Leche League's Art of Breastfeeding Book
Happiest Baby on the Block
Dr. Sear's Baby Book - the first years
Mothering Magazine subscription
#2 of 12 Old 04-23-2010, 02:26 PM

That's the best registry list I have ever seen. I think you have it covered and with useful, necessary stuff!
#3 of 12 Old 04-23-2010, 02:36 PM

don't forget swaddle blankets. My favorites (but they weren't around when my kids were born!) are the Aden&Anais brand

also for nursing, besides the support pillow, she might want an actual nursing chair or a footrest to support better positioning.

a couple nursing bras and tops would be good too - and a coverup if she's shy about nursing in public.

Berkeley mom of 3 and President of Tender Cargo Baby Gear
and The Nurture Center Store and Resource Center 3399 Mt Diablo Bl Lafayette CA 888-998-BABY
#4 of 12 Old 04-23-2010, 04:39 PM

I have to say, I didn't care for LLL's BFing book. I really prefer So That's What They're For!. It's funny and informative. I've also found that pre-fold diapers make great spit-up clothes. And once the baby outgrows that stage, they're wonderful dust rags! I like things that can have a 2nd life.

Mom to retired nursling Lily (6/22/07) and wife to my wonderful DH since 3/19/05
Baby Aerick is here! Born at 40+6 on 5/16/10
#5 of 12 Old 04-23-2010, 05:33 PM

cloth baby wipes
outdoor wear for baby (depending on location of course)
carseat (I am getting a TrueFit convertible one)

I got a Prince lionheart wipes warmer that uses CLOTH WIPES.. they didn't have that with my other kiddos.. antimicrobial, etc..

how about stuff to wash the dipes with? I really like Baby Bottom Better for diaper rash.. I also registered for infant tylenol, natural teething stuff, etc.
#6 of 12 Old 04-23-2010, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jecombs View Post
I have to say, I didn't care for LLL's BFing book. I really prefer So That's What They're For!. It's funny and informative. I've also found that pre-fold diapers make great spit-up clothes. And once the baby outgrows that stage, they're wonderful dust rags! I like things that can have a 2nd life.
I hear ya! I reuse my wet/dry diaper pail bags to collect clothes for dry cleaning and the boppy is a little seat in the book nook
#7 of 12 Old 04-25-2010, 11:13 PM

I might add a Moby Wrap to the list; it's nice to have babywearing options. Also: two changing pad covers, burp cloths and swaddle blankets. You had another suggestion above. We loved Miracle Blankets.

I never leaked while nursing, and most moms I know didn't either. (Lucky, I know!) Consider removing the breast pads from the list, and buy only if she needs them.

Mom to a sunny toddler and a snoozy baby
#8 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 09:40 AM

I would add a moby wrap and/or a woven wrap, plus a soft structured carrier (like an ergo) or a mei tai.

We used a moses basket when DD was small, and I really liked having it for naptimes so I could move her around the house easily as she slept. This time I would like to try a baby hammock, but it's not at the top of my list.

Otherwise, looks good.
#9 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikigypsy View Post
We used a moses basket when DD was small, and I really liked having it for naptimes so I could move her around the house easily as she slept.
With a moses basket, you are not really supposed to carry the basket with the baby in it. It says so on the safety tag.
#10 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 12:35 PM

I know this is a personal thing, but I would suggest that she register for a few diapers in a few different styles, or prefolds and a few different types of covers. FB don't fit every baby, some people don't like dealing with the hassle of inserts, and a lot of babies don't do well with synthetic fabrics against their skin.

I don't know if things have changed since my DD was little, but lots of disposable breast pads had SAP (the chemical absorbent in disposable diapers) in them back then. I didn't want that stuff on her butt, so I sure didn't want it on my nips!
It can apparently leave a bad taste on nipples, too. I used a pair I was given by a relative without realizing what was in them (since the packaging didn't mention it), and DD screamed every time I tried to latch her on after wearing them. As a first time mom new to breastfeeding, I was pretty traumatized, so I thought I'd give another mom a heads-up.

I'd suggest a lanolin-free and/or organic breast cream, too. Sheep are treated with all kinds of nasty chemicals that wind up in lanolin. (I just use olive oil, personally.)

Also, she might want to do some research and specify on the jogging stroller. A lot of them are not made with actual jogging in mind.

Oh, and I second the recommendations of "So That's What They're For!" and more than one style of baby-carrier.

Mama to a couple of full-moon caul-bearing rockstar girls:
9yo and brand new as of 4/28/10!
#11 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingfox View Post
I know this is a personal thing, but I would suggest that she register for a few diapers in a few different styles, or prefolds and a few different types of covers. FB don't fit every baby, some people don't like dealing with the hassle of inserts, and a lot of babies don't do well with synthetic fabrics against their skin.

I don't know if things have changed since my DD was little, but lots of disposable breast pads had SAP (the chemical absorbent in disposable diapers) in them back then. I didn't want that stuff on her butt, so I sure didn't want it on my nips!
It can apparently leave a bad taste on nipples, too. I used a pair I was given by a relative without realizing what was in them (since the packaging didn't mention it), and DD screamed every time I tried to latch her on after wearing them. As a first time mom new to breastfeeding, I was pretty traumatized, so I thought I'd give another mom a heads-up.

I'd suggest a lanolin-free and/or organic breast cream, too. Sheep are treated with all kinds of nasty chemicals that wind up in lanolin. (I just use olive oil, personally.)

Also, she might want to do some research and specify on the jogging stroller. A lot of them are not made with actual jogging in mind.

Oh, and I second the recommendations of "So That's What They're For!" and more than one style of baby-carrier.
I agree. Fuzzibunz never worked for us. We preferred fitteds with covers or wool. In the newborn months, we liked KL0 with Imse vimse covers or Bummis Super Whisper Wraps.

Mama to Eleanore Rae, born April 6, 2008 & Adelaide Jane, born December 16, 2010, Cautiously expecting #3 September 10, 2013

I blog! Check my profile for the link

#12 of 12 Old 04-26-2010, 07:23 PM

If there is one locally, I would register for a diaper service for the first few weeks. It is wonderful to have someone else washing all those dirty diapers while settling in to mom-dom. I'd add a breastpump if she plans to do that for sitters/work. They can get pretty pricy fast, and it's nice if somebody else buys it for you. I'd register for organic clothing too, since it will help influence the gift buying toward the organics. And I'm a big beleiver of registering for toddler things too, like older kid toys, bedding, feeding supplies, etc. That way you don't burn through all the gifts the first year and have to buy everything once baby hits 12 months. Happy shopping!

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page