Quoted: 0 Post(s)
-
#92 of 105 Old 03-16-2004, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally posted by thebenjies

I'm from Canada, and I live in a farming community, and this kind of surprised me. Ok. Don't want to offend anyone, BUT do you realize you CANNOT get any diseases related to mad cow from eating a hamburger? Or most other parts of a cow? You have to eat its brains to have trouble. I was a little tiny bit mad, because our beef industry is going for a crap b/c the USA has freaked about mad cow, and for crying out loud , we found two. There are more of them in your country. But ANYWAY, it's not even that big of a deal. You seriously have to eat the brains to get anything.
Is this how most of you feel? For really? Do you avoid chicken because of avian influenza (which you can't get from dead meat, so to speak)? I'd love to know what people are doing down south. In Canada we have increased our beef intake to try and help out the beef farmers.

Christina
Ummm, let's see....I am trying to not take offense to this, but I guess I am for two reasons...

#1 I think this *debate* belongs more so in the talk amongst ourselves forum...if you are trying to educate, that is great..please do ... I learn a lot here from our MDC mamma's but not like this.

#2 You come here and pick apart one of our mammas posts w/o even introducing yourself and not even having any prior posts in our pregnancy journey, I think it is a bit rude.

just my 2 cents....

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

#93 of 105 Old 03-16-2004, 06:18 PM

I guess it was somewhat rude. I have been lurking for awhile, but haven't posted in here. I'm sorry. I would just hope people don't make those kinds of decisions because sometimes you don't know what kind of impact they're having, thanks to the media's being nuts about it. I am surrounded by people in big financial trouble over mad cow, and it's just really sad.

So I'll leave it alone.
#94 of 105 Old 03-16-2004, 06:52 PM

I haven't been by lately bc I've been swamped at work. I'm still catching up on everyone's posts.

Bears and Kim -

I had an appt with the CNM last Thursday and up to my prior appt, I had gained only 2 pounds. Well, I gained 5 in just a month. That's what happens when your appetite comes back, I guess. I'm so happy food is good again that I'm finding it difficult to restrain myself. I'm eating healthy stuff, but then also eating too much junk on top of it. I need to start walking at lunch. By the time I get home from work, I have no energy to do it and it's usually getting dark.

I have a level 2 u/s this Thursday. Oh, and I'm feeling little fluttery movements. With dd I didn't feel movement until pretty late, so it's cool to feel it so early. Other than that, not much new around here.
#95 of 105 Old 03-16-2004, 07:04 PM

Did the deleted beef comment have anything to do with me? Or is it indelicate to ask at this point? We could debate it in another forum. Or maybe not. I'm not much for Internet debates.

I've been lurking, not posting so much. It's been pretty busy, both good busy (parties and parks and activities) and bad busy (sciatica and vomiting, me this time, not sure if it was a low-grade flu or pregnancy-related).

Today I am having a problem with anger management. My dd went through a particularly violent and tiresome tantrum a few hours ago and I'm still seething. I'm off to the Y in a few minutes, then to a coffee/mom's-night-out thing, so I should be better by morning -- i hope. Anyone else have a problem bringing their blood below the boiling point when pregnant?

Oh my goodness, that's how angry I am, I forgot to let Kim and Bears know that my thoughts are with you and your families during this uncertain time. Bears, I appreciate your taking the time to update us w/ your counselor's info.

I'm off. Take care, ladies.
#96 of 105 Old 03-16-2004, 07:17 PM

we're on wic...they haven't asked in a long time about vax's, but we've got a medical exemption from our doc. he's pretty easygoing about them and does them on a delayed/selective schedule for the parents that do want them. jake was current till 2yo and shelby had the first round (minus the hep b) and the second dtap, but she won't get anymore...i've made the informed decision that it's not right for *our* family.
#97 of 105 Old 03-16-2004, 09:29 PM

Hi all,

I really need to post more often. I remember how much comfort my message board was when I was preggo the first time, and that was a *mainstream* board for goodness sake! An enlightened board like this is bound to be even more encouraging.

So, Kim and Bears. Yikes! What a tough time. I've sort of BTDT, with a bad AFP outcome, very high risk of Down Syndrome, but fortunately, my DD was born Down Syndrome free. It's a very scary time, and the threat of that can hang over your head throughout your pregnancy. Many (((HUGS))) that you both find your way through peacefully.

As for me, I'm progressing along pretty well. Still very sick, and while I'm sorry to see I'm not alone in that, I'm very reassured that I'm not alone, too. I'll have a couple of good days of no vomiting, and then whammo! can't keep a single thing down. I was this same way the first time around, too, so at least I know what I'm in for this time. I try to not let it ruin my day.

I'm feeling baby move now, but not as often as I'd like. I felt some very clear movements a couple weeks ago. Two sets of 1-2-3 jabs very low. Nothing as clear and pronounced as that since then. I was actually really surprised to feel something so defined so early, so I wonder if it could have been something else, but once you've felt a baby move inside you, I think you'll always remember the feeling. I mostly just feel flutters now. And, mostly while I'm nursing my DD to sleep, probably because that's the time I lie still and quiet for the longest stretch.

So, hope all is well with everyone. We're nearly halfway there!

Caroline
#98 of 105 Old 03-16-2004, 09:51 PM

Anyone going to La Leche League meetings? I am going to my first one tonight to check it out. I feel like it is early but if they only have one a month and have 4 nightly topics I should get through all four by June, have a month "off" and then the baby will be here! It's really starting to hit home that the baby is actually "on his/her way"!

I am also trying to decide on what birth class to take. Anyone started those yet? I am leaning towards private classes but would love to meet other preggies around here.

Cheryl

Thinking of you Bears and Kim

AP, Homeschooling, Part-Time working mom with 3 rambunctious boys fencing.gifbabyf.gifall born with love at home. (04 & 08 & 12).

#99 of 105 Old 03-16-2004, 10:00 PM

Cheryl,

That is a terrific idea. You really should go. There's nothing nicer at a La Leche League meeting than a pregnant mommie to be. Now is the time to make the contacts, get some phone numbers, establish some relationships, because these women may just become the most important people you know as you start your parenting journey.

Try to just go, let the information sink in, make some friendly chit chat, and feel as comfortable as you can be. I went while I was pregnant, and part of me felt out of place, as if I had nothing to contribute, but really it was so important later.

What kind of birth plan do you have in mind? I took Bradley and self studied HypnoBirthing the first time around. Bradley is a very long class, something like 14 weeks, although there are some 7 week classes out there, so now's the time to start, if that's what you choose to do. It was so informative, and really involved Dad which appealed to me a lot. There are pro's and con's to any class though, so do your research.

HypnoBirthing was a HUGE asset for me during labor. I stayed so calm, and pain free, throughout what could have been a very stressful labor. I also think it helped my recovery a lot. I ultimately had a cesarean the first time around, due to pre-eclampsia and failure to progress during an induction, but I did get to have a 36 hour pitocin induced labor. It really could have been h*ll but it was a very sweet time of contemplation and preparation for our next big step, and I really feel like Hypnobirthing made the difference for us.

edited to add: I used a combination of the Hypnobirthing method and New Way Childbirth, FWIW. You can get New Way tapes at http://www.newwaychildbirth.com

Caroline
#100 of 105 Old 03-16-2004, 11:31 PM

poor midwife just called... she's got the cold that's going around, so she cancelled for tomorrow. dh was making her a cherry pie, so we'll just have to eat it, oh darn! we'll see her next week, instead.

christine: i find that monosyllables work well as middle names, so luke would be a good middle name (you could still call him that, just have his "real" name be Harlan Luke or Gregory Luke or whatever). or you could have the real name be Lucas, with luke as a nickname... Lucas Paul or Lucas John or whatever. just an idea, anyway...

vaxing: i went to the vax forum, and there's a sticky there with vax resources. one of them is a link to the Centers for Disease Control, with a weekly publication totalling up all annually reported numbers of transmittable diseases (everything from AIDS to leprosy!). anyway, there was something like 2 cases of diptheria reported last year, 1000 cases of pertussis... but mostly the numbers were remarkably low. dh, who has also been checking out vaccine injury reports and numbers, saw right away (being the scientist that he is) that the injuries are at this time are far outweighing the diseases, and based on those numbers alone is willing to hold off on vaxing until and unless something changes. i even noted that those numbers were most likely very underreported, and he said, "even if the real numbers are 10 or 100 times these, they're still statistically miniscule." wow... CDC actually helped me AVOID vaxing! first time in a long time i've gotten positive reinforcement from the government for my parenting!

bears: thanks for letting us know how you're doing.

kim... thinking of you tonight.

i'm not feeling a lot of movement lately. i sorta wish i did feel more, but then again i'm only 21 weeks and some folks haven't even had quickening yet.

i felt like doing gardening stuff... we have no yard to speak of, so i've gotta get hold of some containers for plants, but we're broke for the moment so that's gotta wait. still, i focused those puttery planting feelings to good use: i got some potting soil and replanted a bunch of rootbound houseplants. they look SOOO much happier now! i don't really have much of a green thumb so i'm thinking this urge is part of my early nesting phase...

last night i was talking with dh about feeling a little nervous about eschewing all the testing this time around. i certainly understand why people want to do it, but i also have heard sooo many stories from people with false positives, having such a rough few weeks in the middle of an otherwise uneventful pregnancy, feeling terrified or worried that they might be forced to consider termination or an otherwise difficult outcome.

well, i forgot that this is his first baby, and that we've already had two miscarriages, and that his specialty in the biological sciences is female nondisjunction (which means, he studies the genetics of why eggs sometimes get messed up)... while i was airing my worries and concerns, just getting them out of my system, poor dh was getting more and more upset until he had to just end the conversation.

you see, deep down, i really DO know that things are going to be OK... that there are a million and two things that we CAN'T test for, but that the numbers are on our side and that we don't need to subject our baby to the sometimes damaging side effects of testing... but he DOESN'T know that yet. he's really relying on my faith to carry us both through this pregnancy, and i just blew it by trying to process my niggling doubts by talking with him about it.

heck, that's what YOU guys are for! but he's just not there yet. i hope i haven't caused him permanent damage, or that he's secretly convinced something's terribly wrong with the baby, or ???. i can't believe i was this insensitive. i'm trying not to beat myself up too badly but now i'm wondering what i can do to get him back on track. i guess just be patient and let him watch how things go, and trust that my body and this baby will be just fine.

argh. that was a lot longer than i intended it to be. thanks for listening, if you're still with me here...

sleep well, ladies

katje
#101 of 105 Old 03-17-2004, 12:44 AM

I was on wic with my first pregnancy. I live in MS so I don't know if the benefits are different from state to state or not. I don't remember them asking for vax records though. Maybe that was because the benefits were for me during my pregnancy and they were still for me later because I was breastfeeding. I am applying for it again this time because I'll be getting a package and ds will be getting a package and every little bit helps around here. Last time we got 2 boxes of cereal, cheese, peanut butter, juice, beans, evaporated milk and boxed 2 % milk. I can't figure out why they gave evaporated milk. The lady said that if you mix it with the 2% milk that will make it whole milk. I'm over weight and whole milk is the last thing I need in my diet!
If it comes down to the food package WIC benefits or fighting a vax war, I don't think it would be worth it. The grocieries can't be more than like $20 a month.

I have been trying to make it to a La Leche Leage meeting since my son was born. I've had conflicts every month/semester. I wish I could go. Fortunantly, I made friends with the WIC lactation consultant (speaking of wic) and that is where I took my questions.

By the way, I'm wearing full blown maternity clothes now. There's no denying it. I have a preggo tummy. NOt to big, but not to be hidden anymore

katje: thanks for the name suggestions.

Goodnight all.
Christine
#102 of 105 Old 03-17-2004, 01:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SamuraiEarthMama
last night i was talking with dh about feeling a little nervous about eschewing all the testing this time around. i certainly understand why people want to do it, but i also have heard sooo many stories from people with false positives, having such a rough few weeks in the middle of an otherwise uneventful pregnancy, feeling terrified or worried that they might be forced to consider termination or an otherwise difficult outcome.

This is our 5th together and I have learned I must not let him know my fears, at least not until I have I have worked them out. It is my job to be strong in pregnancy and his in labor.
I will have a 20ish week sonogram and that is it. The scan is more for his sake than mine. We have no history of problems at all, but knowing that the baby is fine at 20ish weeks seems to help him. After that I have a better chance at pushing for hte homebirth. Plus I would want to research options if the baby had something possibly correctable or that made a vag birth dangerous to baby. (coworker has 2 kids with spina bifida so that is the only thing I can think of)
The guys can be very good at making mountains out of mole hills, can't they? Mine is so funny. After 4 kids he is just as nervous with #5 as the first time. Unfortunatly for different reasons
#103 of 105 Old 03-17-2004, 02:05 PM

Well, my dh seems pretty cool this time around about forgoing all the tests. I think he knows that I've been in such a delicate emotional state this time around that I could never tolerate the stress that testing brings on. My instincts tell me this baby is strong anyway. And if it's not, we'll just deal with it.

I feel like I've been run over by a Mack truck today! I ate spagetti yesterday, and I can only assume it was the combo of the acidic tomatoes and too much pepper that did me in (I never eat tomatoes because I have arthritis). I'm a little better today, but yesterday it felt like my entire digestive system was on fire and in a vice at the same time. I was feeling so good and then, wham! Blindsided by tomatoes. I just hope it really was the tomatoes and not some stomach bug. That really scares me because I know some infections can hurt the baby, and incidentally the baby hasn't moved much since yesterday. Yes, I'm having a very bad day!

We decided to forgo the WIC benefits. We don't even eat most of the things they provide. We're all allergic to milk and wheat, and we get our eggs from a local farmer who has free range chickens. I like to buy organic as much as possible anyway. I told dh, "I really don't feel like selling my soul to the government for some peanut butter and cheerios." I've always hated having to go to the government for anything.

Bearsmama and Kim, my thoughts are still with you. I hope everything is okay so far!
#104 of 105 Old 03-17-2004, 05:29 PM

:

Well, whoever it is that started passing the :Puke bug through our posts(:LOL ) ds got it too last night...but he is very well now thanks to the wonderful power of homeopathy! Thank good ness for that stuff... Now just praying it stays away from me!!...well, ok and dh I guess....lol...

Cheryl....We go to LLL and have went since ds was about 15 months. I have met a lot of great Ap mothers thru that group and we always have pg mammas coming to the meeting...LLL believes that the best time for you to come to a meeting is when you are pg! So go! I also posted to you earlier that I got theBFW book and was wondering if you ended up getting that book? I found a BFW instructor about 2 hours away from me who is willing to drive to my home to do classes for me!
So if financially we can swing it, I will be going that route.

Bummer Katje your MW cancelling... enjoy the pie

gtg
ttyl

Free To Be~
Traci
"Living is learning and when kids are living fully and energetically and happily they are learning a lot, even if we don't always know what it is."
~John Holt 

#105 of 105 Old 03-17-2004, 11:15 PM - Thread Starter
Kim

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page