Another D3 ?: Are you still going to supplement in sunny weather? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 05-02-2010, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I usually stop supplementing with d3 once the sunny summer weather arrives. In the past I've always figured I probably got enough from the sun exposure.

While pregnant this winter, I've been taking almost 4,000 d3 units a day. (Before being pregnant, I was taking closer to 6,000). I'm not sure what I want to do with pregnancy d3 supplementation during the summer months, though.

What are you ladies doing?

RedOak ~ Momma to DS (8) , DS (4) , DD (3) , & DD 9/10 ~
#2 of 6 Old 05-02-2010, 05:35 PM

I'm taking 6000 of D3. I plan to continue throughout the summer. I hate the sun, and I am very fair skinned so I burn after about 5 minutes so I have to wear strong sun screen if I am in the sun. I am rarely in the sun though because I don't see the point of torturing myself. If I stayed in the sun for 10 to 15 minutes like they say you have to in order to get enough D3 I would be burned and red all summer.
#3 of 6 Old 05-02-2010, 11:30 PM

Your numbers make me feel more confident to increase my D3 dose. I have just started taking 1000u of D3 in addition to the 400u that is in my prenatal vitamin. I live in a sunny area, but work inside all day 4 days a week, and maybe get out in the sun for half an hour per week at most. I am thinking of upping it to 2000u plus the 400u... but since I have been prone to kidney stones in the past, I'm nervous to. I've heard that much D3 can cause kidney stones. I may up it and just up my water intake, too, as a counterbalance.

Happily married mother of DD1 (10/87), DD2 (7/08), and DD3 (8/10)
#4 of 6 Old 05-03-2010, 05:26 AM

I had my OH (25) levels tested again at 28 weeks, and I was at 62...(having taken 2000 IU/day from October until then--in October I was at 38). I gradually cut back to none. I'm not really in the sun too much, but thought that I shouldn't get too high. Anyway, I recommend getting it checked.

If I thought I was getting a cold, I'd start taking some again (in the winter, I would take 3000 IU when I thought I was getting something).
#5 of 6 Old 05-03-2010, 11:13 AM

I still supplement, but it's only because I'm Black and we need more due to the melanin in our skin.

DD born 7/19/10, DS due 3/12/12

#6 of 6 Old 05-03-2010, 02:38 PM

Yes.. in northern climates the quality of the light (even in sunlight) is different than the quality of light closer to the equator.. (slanted light I guess).. that's what the naturopath explained to me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page