Hospital birth after homebirth - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I have my OB interview tomorrow. My last birth was a homebirth, but this one won't be. Should I bring a copy of my records from my homebirth to the OB?

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#2 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 11:13 PM - Thread Starter

:bump

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#3 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 11:20 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would, as well as any other pertinent pregnancy/birthing records.

Good luck!

Mom to a sunny toddler and a snoozy baby
#4 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. I guess I forgot to say my concern-- I just wouldn't want to open myself or my midwife up to any legal issues and really, even criticism. Homebirth midwifery is kind of alegal here in PA. OTOH, with twins, I want everything to be clear and out in the open.

#5 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 11:34 PM

Maybe don't bring them to the first interview. Test the waters, and if when you say "I had a homebirth last time" they say "OMG on purpose?!" then consider either interviewing elsewhere or giving them the info without your MW's name on it. Then again, if they say "Great, any concerns from that birth?" you can offer to bring the medical records to your next appointment.

Congrats on twins.

Ivory, partner to Tom, mama to Ella (12/9/05), Alice (12/8/07), and our newest addition, Rebecca (4/1/10).
#6 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks! Oh, they know about the homebirth. They seem to think it's all rather quaint, LOL! I'm just being paranoid, I guess.

#7 of 9 Old 05-02-2010, 11:51 PM

Since they already know about the homebirth, you're probably in the clear. Is there a way to share your records without sharing your midwife's name?

I also like the previous poster's suggestion that you test the waters on the first visit.

Mom to a sunny toddler and a snoozy baby
#8 of 9 Old 05-03-2010, 05:40 AM

I had a home birth last time and will be having a hospital birth any day now. My Ob wasn't concerned with my records from my previous births they just asked me a few simple questions. They only wanted records related to this time around, since I switched from a midwife mid pregnancy.

Katana - Full time student : and SAHM to 5 kids
Boy / Girl Twins born 5/5/2010!!!
#9 of 9 Old 05-03-2010, 11:32 AM

Personally I would not take your records, more than likely they aren't going to take them seriously and I wouldn't want to risk your midwife's safety and privacy. We're in an illegal midwifery state so it's always first on my radar to protect the midwife. I think you could just give them the gist of how your last birth went if they even ask, but they probably won't be very interested because a twins birth is nothing like a singleton birth. Good luck!

homebirth.jpgMama to 4 girls and forever missing Bright 6/12/10. Married to my best friend and dreaming of the day we leave the city for chicken3.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page