scolosis and sleeping positions... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 05-04-2010, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there.

I'm not pregnant yet, (OR, I don't know I am... ha), but I have had these questions and figured there's gotta be someone else out there with them.

I have scolosis, a curve AND twist in my spine. I usually can ONLY sleep on my stomach. I can't fall asleep on my side and I have to be like seriously wiped out to fall asleep on my back. I know when I get pregnant I'll be so exhausted and probably fall asleep easily, but at what point of your pregnancy should you not sleep on your stomach?

Also, do any of you women have scolosis, do any of you have what i have (both curve and twist)? I'm wondering what full term will be like for me. Once I am pregnant, I will share with my aunt and ask her how it was (her and I share sooooo many of the same genes).

Thank you very much for any input!

Julie

Julie, 29 married to Adam, 26... momma to Grey Radly born 3-31-11  and owner of a very happy-go-lucky hound dog Daisy!!! Pregnant with #2!!!! Due sometime in November??!!

winner.jpg

#2 of 4 Old 05-04-2010, 04:58 PM

I have scoliosis, i have a curve in my lower back (like, my hips are tilted, so before my first pregnancy i was very concerned about this) but not a twist that i know of..

my first pregnancy was fine.. my 2nd pregnancy i started having hip pain on one side.. its pretty bad this time too and was in between.. i see a chiropractor for it and it helps but it still hurts .. it hurts to sleep on my side, sleeping on my back is fine - though i slept on my stomach before i got pregnant that got uncomfortable quickly .. i have slept on my back until very late in my pregnancies though (and you're not technically suppose to do that either) and it has been fine.. i highly recommend seeing a chiropractor during your pregnancy (and before!) the fact that my hips are tilted seemed/seems to make round ligament pain worse for me and it also affects the baby's position..also, i don't know if this is typical but most of my back pain due to pregnancy has occurred int he first 6 months after the pregnancy..

- Staci, Mommy to Mollie (3/06), Jamie (5/08), Annie (9/10) and Bently (2/13) chicken3.gif
#3 of 4 Old 05-04-2010, 09:07 PM

Yep, curve and twist here. I still manage (at about 13 weeks) to sleep mostly on my tummy. I am canted a little over to the side. Extra pillows are good for me; I can prop up my top leg and get more of a turn over to my stomach. Ultimately, it's going to be a matter of experimentation, though, to find out what works for you, but I will say I've slept like this in pretty much every pregnancy. Getting pregnant didn't change my sleeping positions much at all.

Sabra: Mama to Bobbie (3/02), Linda (1/04), Esther (10/05), Marie (11/10), & Douglas (11/12)

#4 of 4 Old 05-04-2010, 10:12 PM

I wish I had a ton of time to share my stories.

The short of it, it was very hard on me the second pregnancy, the first was a tad easier. With subsequent pregnancies your spine can and will slip into a larger curve studies are finally being done and are showing this. (happened to me) Sleeping was complicated both pregnancies and I did at times sleep in our big chair and a half, propped up on pillows with my first near the end. In my second pregnancy I dealt with extreme pain and had to have PT and pain management to cope. I had a 35 degree curve before I got pregnant with my first and after my second son I was a 40 degrees. I dealt with weakness after both my kids were born, and even threw out my back entirely when ds2 was a month old. Ended up on the floor on a mattress because it's where I landed that night.

But I am pregnant again but am post op from my fusion. I was a 51 degree curve at time of my surgery and ds2 was 2 and a half years old. If you would like to know anything else or have questions feel free to ask away.

I wish you the very best of luck!!

Proud Momma of 2 boys R(6) L(4) & finally a GIRL (5/29/10)
..Fused & Fabulous!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page